• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Politico: GOP already eyeing next chance to revive Obamacare repeal

Not

Banned
It probably would sadly. A lot of the Republican holdouts will be hard pressed to vote against tax cuts even if it comes with serious murder of Obamacare. Tax cuts are actually popular with the GOP constituency unlike their usual Obamacare repeal attempts. It becomes packaging controversial healthcare reforms with desirable tax cuts in that case.

God, if you're right I'm going to be so fucking depressed. And I know you're right. Nothing will stop these fucking fecal parasites.

So all the normal reasons for opposing repeal and replace go out the window as long as they get those sweet tax cuts.

This is going to be the most deadly fucking bill of all time.

It probably would sadly. A lot of the Republican holdouts will be hard pressed to vote against tax cuts even if it comes with serious murder of Obamacare. Tax cuts are actually popular with the GOP constituency unlike their usual Obamacare repeal attempts. It becomes packaging controversial healthcare reforms with desirable tax cuts in that case.

ETA -

They aren't likely to get Tax Reform (of the sort they want) without repealing Obamacare anyway, so they don't care on that front. They need to find the money to make it budget neutral to pass tax cut reforms through reconciliation and they are finding most of it in the repeal of Obamacare.
I feel like if just bundling the two things together was such a viable option, it would have been done already. It's only been 8 months now.

lush

In a midterm year? Good luck. The longer they take the less chance they have of passing anything in regards to tax reform.

Making the bill bigger makes it harder to pass, not easier.

shira

Wait, am I reading wrong?

They're planning another repeal even before the vote because they know it will fail?

lol these people

Hey it'll work sooner or later
huff.gif

Koomaster

As long as those hundreds of millions of dollars in donations are on the line, they'll leave the door open sort of speak no matter how unlikely it is for them to get things done.

I feel like they're in a lose-lose situation here. Either they don't repeal Obamacare and then they fail to complete the one overarching goal they've been chanting for almost a decade (repeal and replace), or they do repeal Obamacare and the dems come out in even larger droves than they already will for midterms, losing them potentially both houses of congress by even more seats than they already might.

UberTag

I've told people this is a real possibility, no matter how insane it looks. These people just can't stand to leave anything on the books that Obama put in there. They have such a single minded hatred of Obama that they'd bring Bin Laden back to life if they could just so they could strike that from his record.
They'd love to have Bin Laden still around.
Boogeymen like him make it easy to stoke fear and manipulate sheep.

G0523

Good God. The horse that they're beating has disintegrated into a rotting corpse that is unable to resemble a horse anymore. They need to get over it and move the fuck on.

I feel like if just bundling the two things together was such a viable option, it would have been done already. It's only been 8 months now.

There are certainly both short and long term reasons to try them separately first.

Short term: more moving pieces increases the chance of failure.

Long term: associating tax cuts with the loss of a major public service in the mind of voters is profoundly dangerous for just about all modern conservative ideologies. If it turns out badly you could cost yourself a generation.

But if nothing else seems to work maybe packaging up the desirable thing with the undesirable will get it through, and they've really got no reason not try , if they can't succeed the other way.

legacyzero

Banned
Jesus Christ let it go. You won't get the moderates on your side when their elections chances hang on this bill. Just agree to fix the ACA, install a public option, price controls, and stick it to pharma, and everyone can sigh and move on to the next shitty thing you can conceive of

Jesus Christ let it go. You won't get the moderates on your side when their elections chances hang on this bill. Just agree to fix the ACA, install a public option, price controls, and stick it to pharma, and everyone can sigh and move on to the next shitty thing you can conceive of
MUST
DISGRACE
BLACK MAN

I feel like they're in a lose-lose situation here. Either they don't repeal Obamacare and then they fail to complete the one overarching goal they've been chanting for almost a decade (repeal and replace), or they do repeal Obamacare and the dems come out in even larger droves than they already will for midterms, losing them potentially both houses of congress by even more seats than they already might.

Senate won't be flipping based on the seats that are up, however, it may be flippable over 2018 and 2020 with strong performances in both.

KingV

Right, but MacDonough has final say on any senate parliamentary procedures and getting healthcare alone through budgetary reconciliation was difficult enough. Getting healthcare and tax reform through in one bill while meeting reconciliation requirements? Good luck (or not, cause I'd rather not have people loosing health insurance).

It’s basically one tax bill and one spending bill, unless the budget has specific reconciliation procedures. That was the plan in 2017. One spending bill, i.e. healthcare and one tax bill i.e. tax reform. There isn’t anything special about it being a new Congress that changes those rules.

The bigger trick will be if Democrats can somehow hold something hostage in a way that makes it impossible.

I think one major factor people overlook is this. The GOP has cultivated an army of industries under itself. The military industry, the oil industry, the health insurance industry. Plus they get most of industry in general by constantly lowering tax cuts.

If the GOP ever did what you said, it would signal to all these other industries "hey, they just stopped fighting for their ally after all the financial support they gave them" it might affect their support. The GOP has locked in to being the party of business, because if they lose the support of businesses what do they have left? The evangelicals? Crazed gun owners?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
the reason they are trying to hard is that their donors have basically said this is their number one priority, tax cuts, war spending and killing medicare while funneling that money back to them in the form of more tax cuts

We're lucky they have not tried to destroy social security along with medicare so far

I don't think they have to put these things together. My understanding is they can do one reconciliation bill per year per topic. So they do tax cuts on the revenue topic and separately do ACA repeal on the spending topic.

But I could certainly be mistaken.

KingV

the reason they are trying to hard is that their donors have basically said this is their number one priority, tax cuts, war spending and killing medicare while funneling that money back to them in the form of more tax cuts

We're lucky they have not tried to destroy social security along with medicare so far

That’s because reconciliation cannot be used to change Medicare or Social Security.

Not

Banned
MUST
DISGRACE
BLACK MAN

This, and the money.

Talk about incentive.

I don't think they have to put these things together. My understanding is they can do one reconciliation bill per year per topic. So they do tax cuts on the revenue topic and separately do ACA repeal on the spending topic.

But I could certainly be mistaken.

So essentially, the rules are bullshit and they can do whatever they want as long as they know what they're doing.

sangreal

ETA -

They aren't likely to get Tax Reform (of the sort they want) without repealing Obamacare anyway, so they don't care on that front. They need to find the money to make it budget neutral to pass tax cut reforms through reconciliation and they are finding most of it in the repeal of Obamacare.

They aren't going to get tax reform, but they can pass as many temporary tax cuts as they want without healthcare cuts and they're keenly aware that it worked out just fine for them last time. They already backed off smaller tax cuts in the AHCA because of the obvious optics problem of cutting taxes for the rich at the same time as cutting services for the poor. It's a blatant wealth transfer

I just don't see it happening in an election year, but we'll see. It certainly doesn't hurt to remind everyone that the 9/30 deadline is entirely arbitrary and at the whim of the majority. Stay vigilant

So essentially, the rules are bullshit and they can do whatever they want as long as they know what they're doing.
This is how I usually feel whenever I read about anything the GOP does in Congress. It is like the rules never apply to them and the only things keeping them from screwing the entire country are blood curdling screams from the public. It is an exhausting state of affairs.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Turning their Tax Reform bill into a shit turducken would be hilarious to see. Maybe no one will notice this obama repeal clause?...

That might entail some procedural hurdles, but one GOP aide said Monday that because the Finance Committee has jurisdiction over about 95 percent of health care policy, ”it's not like we couldn't slip it in anyway."

I see someone's headed for a bright future at FOX News.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Y'all should listen to the Weeds. They already discussed this last week. Hopefully Republicans get scared because it's an election year. The only way to stop this fuckery is to take back the House. Mofos need to make sure they vote next year.

What is "The Weeds"…?

Is it a political podcast? I've been looking for more to listen to in addition to PSA

LifEndz

Thus far, each proposal has been worse than the one before it. Are none of these people paying attention? A clean repeal is not going to happen and it's hard to pass legislation that's more conservative than Obamacare. The GOP is just comically inept. They can't govern. All three branches and not a single piece of major legislation. Embarrassing.

Snaku

Banned
If there's one good thing that's come out of the GOP in congress acting like total shit heel obstructionists these last 8 years under Obama is that they've completely forgotten how to legislate. They went full retard, and they can't figure out how to come back from it.

sangreal

That, and Republican voters still overwhelmingly want ACA repeal.

No, they want Obamacare repealed. But in all seriousness, while the ACA is unpopular a large part of it is a lack of understanding of the ACA. Even still, people (on both sides) want the ACA replaced with a better option. While there is wide disagreement on what constitutes better, going back to the 2008 system is not popular. Which is why the GOP isn't even considering it seriously.

Shauni

This is how I usually feel whenever I read about anything the GOP does in Congress. It is like the rules never apply to them and the only things keeping them from screwing the entire country are blood curdling screams from the public. It is an exhausting state of affairs.

Uh, they are using the rules, though? This applies to them as much as anything, this is why they are using stuff like reconciliation and paying close attention to deadlines.

I know it can be confusing, but you guys acting like there's no process at work are kind of tripping over your own nutsack

Shauni

No, they want Obamacare repealed. But in all seriousness, while the ACA is unpopular a large part of it is a lack of understanding of the ACA. Even still, people (on both sides) want the ACA replaced with a better option. While there is wide disagreement on what constitutes better, going back to the 2008 system is not popular. Which is why the GOP isn't even considering it seriously.

The approval rate for the ACA is like 60%. It's not really unpopular anymore

Top Bottom