• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republicans vote to move ahead on Obamacare repeal

NandoGip

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/25/obamacare-repeal-vote-senate-republicans-240926

Senate Republicans voted Tuesday to open debate on repealing Obamacare, dramatically reviving an effort that many GOP lawmakers left for dead just a few days ago.

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), recently diagnosed with brain cancer, entered the chamber to a standing ovation and cast the 50th Republican vote. GOP Sens. Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska broke ranks to oppose the measure, forcing Vice President Mike Pence to break a 50-50 tie.

After a series of votes on amendments, Republicans would aim to enact a bill repealing three parts of Obamacare: the individual and employer mandates and the medical device tax, according to Republican sources. It could be expanded or altered depending on where the bulk of the conference is.

sorry if old

edit:

UqmB9rT.png

edit 2:

Seems like there are people in this thread that have no idea what's going on with healthcare, here is a small chart with what Republicans are *trying* to do

Ten Things You Need to Know About Trumpcare

iAWnIjv.jpg

Savings:
$1.196 trillion

Costs:
$875 billion

Net:
$321 billion in savings for the Gov't
-Poor people will lose insurance
-Less people will purchase insurance
-People with insurance will pay significantly more
-Rich people, Medical industries will pay less taxes

Check this thread out if you want to do something about it:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1337974&page=1

BBC said Mike Pence made the deciding vote? Does he get a special vote like the speaker of the house of parliament or was he just last to vote?

Neifirst

BBC said Mike Pence made the deciding vote? Does he get a special vote like the speaker of the house of parliament or was he just last to vote?

Constitutionally, the Vice President also serves as President of the U.S. Senate, and as such, can cast a tie-breaking vote.

Shauni

Not the same i think... This just happened moments ago. If mod thinks otherwise feel free to lock

Well, it's literally the same thing being discussed lol. But it's up to mods. I feel like there's already a lot of confusion about this, so I don't know if another thread is going to help that.

iammeiam

I hate that this is being framed as moving ahead with the debate.

It's not. It's literally just voting to do something because Republicans are terrified of being primaried for not voting against Obamacare. Given that Trump is in office, there's definitely reason to believe the voting population is dumb enough to do shit like that, but that doesn't turn this vote into a principled action to open bipartisan discussion.

I hate how just stupid things are now.

Goodstyle

The most annoying thing about all of this is all the people and reporters who kept saying it was "dead". No it fucking wasn't, I hate that language when discussing something that can be brought up and dismissed at the discretion of the president at any point.

A reminder: These replacement bills are highly unpopular across the board and Obamacare has never been more popular, even with the incessantly malicious undermining by Republicans.

Everyone is dead. Fuck this country. I know this is awful to say, but the people who voted on them getting better health care feel affected by this, death or otherwise. Fuck people for fucking this country.

jstripes

Banned
Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), recently diagnosed with brain cancer, entered the chamber to a standing ovation and cast the 50th Republican vote.

"I just had top-notch treatment! Fuck you, middle class and poor people!"

*GOP roars in approval*

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
This is disgusting, but it's not quite time to panic yet, right?

It's just a vote to start talking about it again? Not voting through an actual bill that will kill millions?

giphy.gif

How I'm feeling right now, I knew this shit wasn't over.

Go get fucked you fascist neonazi pricks.

EDIT: WOW MOTHERFUCK YOU JOHN MCCAIN YOU PIECE OF SHIT.

Mathieran

Banned
Well fuck John McCain. Guy has a chance to do something good with his remaining time and instead votes for this shit. I hope he becomes unable to work sooner rather than later.

rhandino

Banned
Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), recently diagnosed with brain cancer, entered the chamber to a standing ovation and cast the 50th Republican vote. GOP Sens. Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska broke ranks to oppose the measure, forcing Vice President Mike Pence to break a 50-50 tie
Oh, it seems all the prayers for him and his family worked! Congrats to the compassionate people on that other thread.

Instro

It's just a vote to start talking about it again? Not voting through an actual bill that will kill millions?

Correct. They would still need to pass something, which may or may not be feasible based on what the parliamentarian has to say.

Linkark07

Banned
"I just had top-notch treatment! Fuck you, middle class and poor people!"

*GOP roars in approval*

"I mean, they are poor. Poor aren't people, are they? So this isn't murder. Besides, healthcare isn't a right."

GOP roars in approval.

If there is a hell, I hope all these Republicans have a reserved spot.

They need to do neither because their replacement will be several times worse.

My Obamacare isn't saving me money at this point, as its roughly the same price as other options out there. When Obamacare began, in that first year, it was great for me. Now its horribly overpriced. I'm willing to take my chances with whatever plan the Republicans come up with because if its worse than Obamacare well, its not much of a loss.

Shauni

I mean, it's been time to panic since November 9th, but yes, this is correct. This is not an actual vote on a bill, this is a vote on a motion to proceed to debate a bill and open it up to amending.

Specifically, the VP is empowered to cast the tiebreaking vote in the Senate, and only the tiebreaking vote; he otherwise does not act as a "101st" senator, but if the vote is 50-50, it comes down to the VP.

Top Bottom