• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Politico: GOP already eyeing next chance to revive Obamacare repeal

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/25/obamacare-repeal-republicans-budget-243125

The supposedly hard deadline at the end of the month to repeal Obamacare might not be so hard after all.

With their latest attempt to dismantle the health law on track to fail this week, GOP senators are already raising the prospect of going after it again with the same powerful tools that currently let them pass legislation with just 50 votes.

There is nothing to suggest Obamacare repeal would get any easier in the coming months and doing so may significantly hobble the Republican majority's other chief legislative priority: tax reform. But facing a floundering repeal push, wrath from the base and a frustrated President Donald Trump, Republicans may have no other choice but to keep pushing to uproot the law.

”We've got to do both," Senate Finance Committee Chairman Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) said of tackling both Obamacare repeal and tax reform next year. "They're complicated by necessity. So I don't think that takes away the complications. But I think we're supposed to be able to handle complications."

Hatch added, however: "If it's used to screw everything up, I'm not for that."

Here's how it could be done: While the Senate parliamentarian has ruled that the repeal push under fiscal 2017 must die after Sept. 30, Republicans could provide reconciliation instructions for both health care and tax reform in the fiscal 2018 budget resolution that Congress must pass to again unlock the fast-track procedural powers. That might entail some procedural hurdles, but one GOP aide said Monday that because the Finance Committee has jurisdiction over about 95 percent of health care policy, ”it's not like we couldn't slip it in anyway."

WaterAstro

Wait, am I reading wrong?

They're planning another repeal even before the vote because they know it will fail?

lol these people

Zackat

giphy.gif

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
The race to be the first one to post a news article has really made OP quality go down, hasn't it? EDIT: Oh you stealth edited.

Anyway, I'm not even surprised. But it is pretty funny that they want to take these many L's.

UberTag

it will never end until these hateful motherfuckers are removed from power.
Pretty much. They'll take infinity stabs at bringing it down in hopes of stumbling onto the one scenario out of however many umpteen tries where they get their way.
Anything to do away with the legacy of the hated black man.

Xe4

Banned
I'll believe it when I hear from MacDonough. Senate rules are very technical, and this won't be the first time she has complicated the matter significantly for Republicans.

RinsFury

Keep trying you fucking monsters, see if you can get it done before the entire corrupt administration is taken down.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Goddamn animals. No words for how much I hate the GOP. I hate them worse than they hate the poor.

JettDash

Watch these dumb fucks try to pass Trumpcare and tax "reform" in the same bill, only for it to bite them in the ass.

Ogodei

Tax Reform is almost impossible.

And then you want to tie it to healthcare overhaul?

k.

The only way it works is if donor pressure to do everything they've ever promised in one fell swoop becomes overwhelming, even compared to the near-certainty of many of them being voted out for the effort.

Armaros

Yeah saddling tax reform with a contriversial heathcare plan increases the chance of passage. in republican land.

Kevinroc

I've told people this is a real possibility, no matter how insane it looks. These people just can't stand to leave anything on the books that Obama put in there. They have such a single minded hatred of Obama that they'd bring Bin Laden back to life if they could just so they could strike that from his record.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I get the feeling like the more backlash there is against these bills, the more motivated they are to pass it, because that means there's more people that can stick it to and stick their noses up at if they eventually do pass it.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
So Obamacare repeal, Obamacare replacement, and tax reform all in one bill? Good luck.

Even if it was a shitty bill it would probably be one of the most significant achievements in modern Congressional history.

Would also probably mean the concept of compromise is truly dead and if Democrats had a single vertebrate they'd ram through everything next time they get power.

KingV

I'll believe it when I hear from MacDonough. Senate rules are very technical, and this won't be the first time she has complicated the matter significantly for Republicans.

If I’m reading it right, all they are saying is that they can come back and do reconciliation for next year on the next budget.

Pretty sure they are good to go to try it again.

That said, this is going to be incredibly contentious during a campaign and probably even harder to get done.

GrapeApes

Y'all should listen to the Weeds. They already discussed this last week. Hopefully Republicans get scared because it's an election year. The only way to stop this fuckery is to take back the House. Mofos need to make sure they vote next year.

Xe4

Banned
If I’m reading it right, all they are saying is that they can come back and do reconciliation for next year on the next budget.

Pretty sure they are good to go to try it again.

That said, this is going to be incredibly contentious during a campaign and probably even harder to get done.
Right, but MacDonough has final say on any senate parliamentary procedures and getting healthcare alone through budgetary reconciliation was difficult enough. Getting healthcare and tax reform through in one bill while meeting reconciliation requirements? Good luck (or not, cause I'd rather not have people loosing health insurance).

Not

Banned
Y'all should listen to the Weeds. They already discussed this last week. Hopefully Republicans get scared because it's an election year. The only way to stop this fuckery is to take back the House. Mofos need to make sure they vote next year.

I have no clue how to make anybody vote that needs to. Think Trump will be enough to finally bring democrats to the polls in 2018?

I'm not optimistic.

Taking Medicaid coverage away from millions is the only way they can make the tax cuts they've planned permanent, instead of just 10 years. That's why the donor class who owns the GOP will keep pushing for both to be done.

Ponn

Banned
How many times can they put the same bill up,with a different name expecting different results. You would think by now they would get that the things they dont like about ACA are directly tied to the most important beneficial parts of ACA.

arewethebadguys.gif

Yeah saddling tax reform with a contriversial heathcare plan increases the chance of passage. in republican land.

It probably would sadly. A lot of the Republican holdouts will be hard pressed to vote against tax cuts even if it comes with serious murder of Obamacare. Tax cuts are actually popular with the GOP constituency unlike their usual Obamacare repeal attempts. It becomes packaging controversial healthcare reforms with desirable tax cuts in that case.

ETA -
Trying to do both is a good way to not get tax reform either

Please proceed

They aren't likely to get Tax Reform (of the sort they want) without repealing Obamacare anyway, so they don't care on that front. They need to find the money to make it budget neutral to pass tax cut reforms through reconciliation and they are finding most of it in the repeal of Obamacare.

You can't just throw it into tax reform and think it will fly. Jesus they're fucking stupid. If you couldn't do it on its own, this is like a thousand times more difficult, a million times.

Not

Banned
You can't just throw it into tax reform and think it will fly. Jesus they're fucking stupid. If you couldn't do it on its own, this is like a thousand times more difficult, a million times.

But those DONORS man

How are they gonna get that bonus MOOLAH

If they want to waste another year on failed attempts at repeal, I guess there's no one stopping them. But nothing they could put forward will resolve the fundamental dilemma at the heart of the issue: that anything they do to appease the conservatives will alienate the moderates, and vice versa.

Attaching it to tax reform probably does more to damage tax reform than it helps repeal.

Top Bottom