• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obamacare repeal officially dead , Trump rage on twitter [POLITICO]

ibyea

Banned
While I am glad this is happening, this is all sort of confusing. The Republicans literally own the senate, the house, and the presidency, so this sort of nothing happening is baffling.

While I am glad this is happening, this is all sort of confusing. The Republicans literally own the senate, the house, and the presidency, so this sort of nothing happening is baffling.

They're horrifically incompetent and the only way they got into power was by saying "no" to everything and giving the crazies more power, which has now bitten them in the ass.

“Regretfully, it is now apparent that the effort to repeal and immediately replace the failure of Obamacare will not be successful," McConnell said.

Can you believe this guy? You can't think of a better plan.

rjc571

Banned

Some of them won't support the bill because they think it won't kill enough people

The vote is full repeal after 2 years, you think they won't kick the can and pretend the ACA failing is on the dems for 2018?

They won't. A full repeal will never hit a vote. We're at 4 confirmed nos right now on taking a vote (they could only afford 3)

They can pretend it would be the Democrats fault, but it wouldn't work. You can't blame the minority party of all the entire government when things end up bad. You can't even blame the majority! People always just blame the president and his party when things go bad, whether it's his fault or not.

Republicans couldn't "fix" healthcare and take credit for it, even if they came up with progressive legislation. Their whole agenda is predicated on cutting taxes by using the money saved in destroying healthcare. Not to mention that they've created a monster in the far right that would strike down any progressive ideas in both chambers.

Though it's nice to dream of a world with two competent political parties.

JettDash

They won't. A full repeal will never hit a vote. We're at 4 confirmed nos right now on taking a vote (they could only afford 3)

They can pretend it would be the Democrats fault, but it wouldn't work. You can't blame the minority party of all the entire government when things end up bad. You can't even blame the majority! People always just blame the president and his party when things go bad, whether it's his fault or not.

They can afford to lose at the most 2

They got the power by letting the inmates run the asylum. Now they're shocked when they can't get inmates to agree with each other.

Sulik2

It turns out repealing a healthcare plan that is already fundamentally Republican is hard to do. Now lets see the Dems push hard to actually get something better.

mnannola

If they can't even get the votes for a straight repeal, I anticipate Trump will be turning against the republicans. He can't take the blame for anything, and this is a huge failure. He will probably turn on the Turtle by the end of the week.

Rran

It really pisses me off that the Affordable Care Act was such a successful talking point for the GOP, when it was clear by their hyperbolic condemnation of the statute, as well as a complete lack of any substantive plans for solving their grievances, that they viewed the law not as a healthcare issue, but as a voting percentage (despite the ironic negative impact this stance would have on their base)... Practically every Republican candidate at a debate or in a rally would mention repealing the ACA (to the sound of thunderous applause), and that was all that really needed to be said on the matter--as if it's such an obvious blight on the country, a law so burdensome that it's holding our country back from where we could be, without ever being forced to put their party's name on something that wasn't just part of some contrarian checklist... until now. They've got the presidency, the House, the Senate; there's no excuse NOT to fulfill this campaign promise. Unless, of course, they were full of shit the entire time, and now have to be held accountable for their intransigence.
I mean, there's not a whole lot to be happy about with the current ringleaders of America, but I'd be lying if I said times like these didn't bring me a little satisfaction ;p

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
GOP honestly just needs to take the healthcare L and move on. They were against Obamacare because it was a huge dem win. Not for any legitimate reasons. Obama basically used a republican made healthcare plan to make it pass.

They can't; McConnel's/Ryan's/Trump's goal has been to take the money going to the ACA and a big chunk of Medicare out of the budget so he can give massive tax breaks to the rich. That's why they keep not moving on.

JettDash

Their proposed one page tax reform plan required them to repeal and replace.

Well I guess they still have to do the debt ceiling and shit.

And how can the Turtle stay the leader of the Senate Republicans? This may be the worst L a Senate majority leader has take in a long time.

I get the sense that Turtke is doing all of this shot just to make sure his wife doesn't get fired. I hope Trunp fires her anyway.

The issue has always been that if they get moderates on board they lose the far right and if they get the far right on bird they lose moderates. The reason this failed is ultimately the same reason they didn't bring the AHCA that passed the house to vote in the senate. So even if the BCA had passed a vote in the senate, it'd probably falter in the house

JettDash

You guys remember John Boehner laughing and laughing saying Republicans would never repeal Obamacare because they wouldn't be able to agree with each other?

LOL

Top Bottom