• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump to Senate Republicans: kill Obamacare now, replace later

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

U.S. President Donald Trump urged Republican U.S. senators on Friday to repeal Obamacare immediately if they cannot agree on a new health care plan to take its place.

Republican leaders have set Friday as the goal for working out changes to Senate legislation that would repeal extensive parts of the 2010 Affordable Care Act, the law dubbed Obamacare that expanded health insurance coverage to 20 million people.

Their efforts were complicated on Thursday by a Congressional Budget Office report that said the Senate proposal would cut spending on government Medicaid for the poor by 35 percent come 2036.

"If Republican Senators are unable to pass what they are working on now, they should immediately REPEAL, and then REPLACE at a later date!" Trump wrote in an early morning Twitter post.

Edit -

WSJ says Ben Sasse and Rand Paul (and of course, Fox and Friends):

Sen. Ben Sasse of Nebraska said that congressional leaders' prospects of overturning parts of the 2010 Affordable Care Act and enact their own provisions in its place were dimming. He said the party's best hope for passing a health-care bill now could be to wipe out the law in its entirety, then work on a deal to fill the void.

”On the current path it looks like Republicans will either fail to pass any meaningful bill at all, or will instead pass a bill that looks to prop up many of the crumbling Obama care structures," he said in a letter he announced he was sending to the White House.

”We must keep our word. Therefore, if on July 10 we don't have agreement on a combined repeal and replace plan, we should immediately vote again on H.R. 3762, the December 2015 Obamacare repeal legislation that the Congress passed but President Obama vetoed."

Within minutes of Mr. Sasse's announcement, which he also discussed on ”Fox & Friends," Mr. Trump suggested his support in a tweet.

Donald J. Trump ✔ @realDonaldTrump
If Republican Senators are unable to pass what they are working on now, they should immediately REPEAL, and then REPLACE at a later date!

Rand Paul of Kentucky, another senator whose support could make or break the legislation's prospect, also endorsed the idea.

”I have spoken to @realDonaldTrump & Senate leadership about this and agree. Let's keep our word to repeal then work on replacing right away," he said on Twitter.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/senato...obamacare-repeal-if-gop-bill-fails-1498825462

Hycran

Banned
Trump: Kill people who need medical care now, they will be replaced with new people later!

If I had the death note...

This was probably always the plan.

Have a shitty replacement, catch blowback, blow up the ACA completely and remove it, then swoop in with their shitty bill and people will go "it's better than literally nothing".

Saganator

He seriously does not give a fuck about normal people. Not that I ever thought he did, just didn't know he would be so blatant about it.

slit

Yes let's go back to the good old days when people in the middle of cancer treatment are suddenly cut off because they forgot to list a hangnail as a pre existing condition.

Engell

..that grudge
574697375f10a3ff3ccbec8b869dfd82de63f3f4361646f37ca4f35644949671.jpg

Did they give him the iggy that they don't have the votes to make this work?

Have a shitty replacement, catch blowback, blow up the ACA completely and remove it, then swoop in with their shitty bill and people will go "it's better than literally nothing".

But it actually isn't better than nothing

It's even worse!

RPGCrazied

This actually came from Ben Sasse on Fox & Friends. I thought one of the saner Senators. Trump just latched onto it.

He literally knows nothing about health care in any capacity. All he knows is that he wants to stick it to Obama and put something "better" in his place to sate his ego.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
He's watching Fox & Friends and parroting their shit.
He also tweeted about Chicago with a stat that sounds like Fox & Friends delivered it.

Dalek

He literally only cares about undoing Obama's legacy-he does not give a shit about the actual issue of health care.

kadotsu

Banned
What TV channel/right wing website suggested this in the last 24h. He must have watched something before his sleepy bubu time.

conpfreak

This doesn't make sense though. One of the main issues with the current GOP plan IS the repeal part. Repeal means taking away health insurance from millions. Replace is what isn't adequate about the new GOP bill. Like, does he even think before he says anything?

whats insane about this is it isnt cruel, or bad policy...

its a complete misunderstanding of how the current bill works and how any of these proposed plans have been designed

It's pretty obvious over the last week that there is no plan at all for this repeal.

sangreal

I assume they can't even do that and have it fit under reconciliation, right? So they'd just get filibustered.

They definitely can. They alreasdy did it under Obama

Anyone who thinks Democrats will help them pass a new bill to replace in that event is delusional though

Trump and the GOP have made it clear that their petty resentment of Obama is more important than what is best for the American people.

Not a single one gives a fuck about us.

Steel

Banned
This doesn't make sense though. One of the main issues with the current GOP plan IS the repeal part. Repeal means taking away health insurance from millions. Replace is what isn't adequate about the new GOP bill. Like, does he even think before he says anything?

You know the answer to this question.

Ithil

"I have a childish, petty, racist and ridiculous grudge against Obama, indulge me at the expense of everyone else in the country!"

Guevara

WSJ says Ben Sasse and Rand Paul (and of course, Fox and Friends):

Sen. Ben Sasse of Nebraska said that congressional leaders’ prospects of overturning parts of the 2010 Affordable Care Act and enact their own provisions in its place were dimming. He said the party’s best hope for passing a health-care bill now could be to wipe out the law in its entirety, then work on a deal to fill the void.

“On the current path it looks like Republicans will either fail to pass any meaningful bill at all, or will instead pass a bill that looks to prop up many of the crumbling Obama care structures,” he said in a letter he announced he was sending to the White House.

“We must keep our word. Therefore, if on July 10 we don’t have agreement on a combined repeal and replace plan, we should immediately vote again on H.R. 3762, the December 2015 Obamacare repeal legislation that the Congress passed but President Obama vetoed.”

Within minutes of Mr. Sasse’s announcement, which he also discussed on “Fox & Friends,” Mr. Trump suggested his support in a tweet.

Donald J. Trump ✔ @realDonaldTrump
If Republican Senators are unable to pass what they are working on now, they should immediately REPEAL, and then REPLACE at a later date!

Rand Paul of Kentucky, another senator whose support could make or break the legislation’s prospect, also endorsed the idea.

“I have spoken to @realDonaldTrump & Senate leadership about this and agree. Let’s keep our word to repeal then work on replacing right away,”
he said on Twitter.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/senato...obamacare-repeal-if-gop-bill-fails-1498825462

So I guess this means that they've decided to finally drop the pretense that this was about anything other than getting those ACA taxes repealed in time for their buddies to get those sweet breaks this year.

Pedrito

He just wants to be able to say he repealed Obamacare asap like he promised. He doesn't give a flying fuck about what happens next.

Ac30

He's watching Fox & Friends and parroting their shit.
He also tweeted about Chicago with a stat that sounds like Fox & Friends delivered it.

That man has a rediculous hate boner for Chicago, and he probably hasn't ever set foot in the city.

Drakeon

You're giving them too much credit. You think they planned to fail voting on the house bill multiple times? Or the Senate Bill needing to be pulled at the last minute? This isn't a grand conspiracy folks.

It's blatantly obvious he doesn't give a shit about healthcare but instead wants to get to tax breaks for the wealthy as quick as possible.

MightyKAC

What I really love about Donald Trump is how he talks like a politician who's not up for re-election but TOTALLY forgets about the ones around him that are.

hobozero

So like, the entire thing? The exchanges immediately close, anyone between 18 and 26 on parents insurance is booted off, no more subsidies, the return of pre-existing conditions. etc?

Also, I thought the ACA allowed insurance companies to do business across state lines - if repealed, do all those plans become null as well? Like anyone in Ohio with a plan from a company in Indiana is fucked?

Edit: Decided to answer my own question. Looks like:

Overall Coverage Impact of the 2015 Repeal Bill

According to the Congressional Budget Office, the ACA repeals included in HR 3762 would increase the number of uninsured Americans by 22 million, with some 14 million losing Medicaid or CHIP, 18 million losing coverage in the individual and small group market (both inside and outside of the Exchanges), and 10 million added to employer-sponsored coverage.

Source: https://ccf.georgetown.edu/2016/12/07/what-could-reconciliation-mean-for-medicaid-reviewing-hr-3762/

Top Bottom