• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump to Senate Republicans: kill Obamacare now, replace later

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
If they move too fast, those red meat anti-entitlement-yet-top-in-entitlement-spending-states might catch on

I mean, they really aren't "catching on" kind of people, but why push their luck

I am now fully convinced that all Trump cares about is destroying everything Obama has done.

That is literally it.

It could be a bill stating "you shouldn't kick puppies" and angry white guys would be out in the streets yelling "kick puppies!" at minorities and women while Trump is busy pushing a law that gives tax kickbacks for every puppy kicked.

Maybe Republicans are playing chicken with the BCRA hold outs (Collins, Heller, etc).

"Support this crappy bill or lose it all!!!" sort of thing.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I like how he communicates with his staff through Twitter as well.

What happened to internal memos or just talking to them face to face?

Sephzilla

Funny enough, with all the Russia and cover-up shit Trump is neck deep in, I think this might be one of the biggest factors that eventually turn Republicans against Trump.

MrBadger

Trump has the temperament of an 80s cartoon villain. He's basing life or death decisions on his petty grudge with Obama. Fucking Skeletor would be a better president

Koomaster

WSJ says Ben Sasse and Rand Paul (and of course, Fox and Friends):

https://www.wsj.com/articles/senato...obamacare-repeal-if-gop-bill-fails-1498825462
But didn't they do this knowing Obama would veto it? As with pretty much everything they did under Obama, it was all for show to play to their base and pretend they were doing something. Really don't think they are going to get the votes to only repeal when they know full well it would actually go through and then have to face the consequences of that later.

He's the monster Fox News created. He sat there watching this drivel religiously for eight years during the Obama administration, letting it rot his already poor brain on the road into senility. He literally thinks--because it's what they've told him--that everything Obama has done is the worst thing that's ever happened to America, and simply undoing all of it will be a great service to the country.

The entire network should be dismantled. God knows how many more imbeciles like him they're churning out.

What's his grudge against Obama? Is it the inauguration audience size that has him feeling inferior ?

I understand he also stated the birthed movement but I wonder if that was started to as a political tool to gain an audience for his planned presidency run.

What's his grudge against Obama? Is it the inauguration audience size that has him feeling inferior ?

I understand he also stated the birthed movement but I wonder if that was started to as a political tool to gain an audience for his planned presidency run.

2011 white house correspondence dinner.

Beartruck

For starters, Trump has discriminated against black men renting from him his entire life. So a black president, just by existing, pissed him off. Then Obama personally criticized him at a very public event for his birther movement bullshit and its been personal ever since.

The thing that I will take solace in is that even if the GOP does repeal Obamacare temporarily they will still never be able to take away Obama's legacy of proving that healthcare and protections for all should be a right.

45 is afraid.

He's original intent was to like Obamacare degrade since he didn't want to fund it and give a sour taste in the people's mouths when it comes to increasing premiums.

Now he just wants it dead.

He or people close to him are afraid of the optics it will be for people at home for republican districts..

They're probably thinking the moderates and Democrats will have to support whatever shitty alternative to *nothing* they offer up if they successfully get it repealed.

Their attempts to blame the democrats for refusing to support a bill they were completely excluded from working on have been painfully transparent. So this is probably the idea.

'We were trying to pass something that would have brought healthcare to millions and the democrats voted against it. Don't think too hard about how we were the people who took that healthcare away in the first place."

Obama's black and he made fun of Trump at a White House dinner. That's it.

Nerazar

Just like he wants to build the wall first (by using taxpayers' money) and (maybe) have the Mexicans pay for it later.

This will be a healthcare desaster. Opposition to Trump is becoming more and more mandatory in order to keep at least some rights.

bionic77

This makes perfect sense.

If they have been unable to come up with an alternative plan in the last 7 years they will definitely be able to come up one in the next couple months.

Man. If I were a republican senator, I would do as much as possible to stay away from this. I would rather shoot myself in the foot, than have to put my name with this.

If this passes it would be toxic to anyone who trusted it.

Zero chance this happens, zero.

Man. If I were a republican senator, I would do as much as possible to stay away from this. I would rather shoot myself in the foot, than have to put my name with this.

If this passes it would be toxic to anyone who trusted it.

Yep, you cannot polish this turd. Nuking it from orbit would be an end for their career, they know that. It doesn't matter if this is what POTUS wants, this shit isn't happening.

Clefargle

It's blatantly obvious he doesn't give a shit about healthcare but instead wants to get to tax breaks for the wealthy as quick as possible.

Yeah and they are talking about retroactive tax breaks for the wealthy through the capital gains tax cuts. Retroactive tax breaks for what was supposed to incentivize future capital investment. Lol

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
He literally knows nothing about health care in any capacity. All he knows is that he wants to stick it to Obama and put something "better" in his place to sate his ego.

he's trying to shape reality into

'I got rid of that monsters horrible policies'

as his legacy. he can blame his ineffectual presidency on having to turn back all the monstrous doings of the great black demon that rode before him.

Jeremy

We've gone from repeal to replace to just repeal now and that's not a win for anyone at all. I hope people will see that if this happens.

Hopefully this failure will kill the enthusiasm of all the hardcore repeal people and they won't vote anymore.

These people came out of the woodwork to vote for Trump and I hope they go back.

Has he been taking tips from Teressa May?
NO HEALTHCARE IS BETTER THAN BAD* HEALTH CARE

*Bad as in it was made by a black man and taxes rich people

He literally knows nothing about health care in any capacity. All he knows is that he wants to stick it to Obama and put something "better" in his place to sate his ego.

That's pretty much it. I"m sure what keeps him going is when he remembers how he was roasted at that dinner. I'm sure he holds grudges and will stop at nothing to reduce Obama to nothing in terms of political history.

Sean C

This was probably always the plan.

Have a shitty replacement, catch blowback, blow up the ACA completely and remove it, then swoop in with their shitty bill and people will go "it's better than literally nothing".
That was their plan, but they abandoned it because it was unworkable, because too many senators knew that repealing without a replacement was massively unpopular. But repeal and replace isn't working either.

he's trying to shape reality into

'I got rid of that monsters horrible policies'

as his legacy. he can blame his ineffectual presidency on having to turn back all the monstrous doings of the great black demon that rode before him.

That's pretty much it. I"m sure what keeps him going is when he remembers how he was roasted at that dinner. I'm sure he holds grudges and will stop at nothing to reduce Obama to nothing in terms of political history.

Thing is: the more he fucks with media, the more he denies and belittles science, the more he makes life hell for minorities, the more he outright kills Americans by encouraging backward "health care" initiatives like this, the more he solidifies his place as objectively one of the worst leaders in the countries history who only used his power for spite and our first black president as someone people will continue to remember fondly particularly how his progressive policies fell victim to his pettiness and ego of a slug who couldn't take a joke.

NimbusD

This was probably always the plan.

Have a shitty replacement, catch blowback, blow up the ACA completely and remove it, then swoop in with their shitty bill and people will go "it's better than literally nothing".
Honestly the gop isn't that smart.

Because that would be genius. People have such a short attention span of would work with ease. People already and immediately forgot what insurance was like before Obamacare.

The thing that I will take solace in is that even if the GOP does repeal Obamacare temporarily they will still never be able to take away Obama's legacy of proving that healthcare and protections for all should be a right.

What an odd thing to say. That's been proven since 1948. Heck, probably even earlier than that.

Top Bottom