• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obamacare repeal officially dead , Trump rage on twitter [POLITICO]

G.ZZZ

Surprised to not find anything in top page, i guess americans are asleep?

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/17/obamacare-senators-turn-on-mcconnell-240646

President Donald Trump's top legislative priority was dealt a potentially fatal blow Monday night as two more Republican senators announced their opposition to the party's health care overhaul.

Trump quickly called on Republicans to simply repeal Obamacare and begin work on a new health care plan, and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell announced he would try to do so.

“Regretfully, it is now apparent that the effort to repeal and immediately replace the failure of Obamacare will not be successful," McConnell said.

Bonus quote, Trump being actually smart:

At a dinner with GOP senators on Monday evening, Trump said the party would look like “dopes” if they couldn’t pass the bill after passing a repeal bill in 2015.

“If the Republicans have the House, Senate and the presidency and they can't pass this health care bill they are going to look weak,” Trump said, according to a source familiar with the meeting. “How can we not do this after promising it for years?”

Repeal me if old

It's almost staggering how little they've actually accomplished in six months.

Obama has the entirety of the federal government literally cease functioning for almost a year and obstruct him left and right for 5 more.

Trump and the GOP have the senate, and the house, and soon the SC.

And still. Can't. Accomplish. Shit.

Their incompetence is truly staggering.

Ac30

Am I reading that right? McConnell is still going to force a vote on a bill no-one likes? Holy shit.

VariantX

Republicans only look weak because they are weak

It's real easy to sit on the sidelines and try to cockblock the people actually attempting to work at a solution to America's health care problem. Almost a decade of standing back and shitting on this and trying to break it whenever and where they could, but when it was their turn to step up to the plate with a better bill they had no better answers whatsoever, they were only in this to dismantle it. And after all this embarrasment they've learned nothing, they're still gonna try to force it through even though no one likes it.

WINNING
WINNING
WINNING
WINNING
WINNING
WINNING
WINNING
WINNING
WINNING
WINNING
WINNING
WINNINGWINNINGWINNINGWINNING

Shauni

"Regretfully, it is now apparent that the effort to repeal and immediately replace the failure of Obamacare will not be successful," McConnell said

What a failure it is to survive about 7 different appeal attempts from GOP lead majorities in the House and Senate with the Presidency.

Total failure.

Total.

JCHandsom

dKVwW1.gif

"This failure of the ACA"

The failure you couldn't even manage to make a passable replacement for after six months of doing quite literally NOTHING but that?

Paz

Considering these folks are the ones running the country there is little solace to be found in their own incompetence being the only thing that stands between republicans and fucking over the American people, but little solace is better than the alternative.

Now we just have to hope that Trump doesn't unilaterally kill the marketplaces by screwing with the insurers participating (he already suggested this as an alternative to repeal and replace)

mj1108

Now we just have to hope that Trump doesn't unilaterally kill the marketplaces by screwing with the insurers participating (he already suggested this as an alternative to repeal and replace)

He will do it then they will all blame Obama for anything that happens because of a repeal.

JettDash

That would be very stupid because him and the Republican Congress would take the blame.

So he might do it.

Honestly, we had gridlock before because of obstruction. But to have it NOW?

That's just... that's staggering levels of incompetency. I was terrified that we'd be down a slope we couldn't recover from with this by now and these stupid bumbling fuckwits haven't even reached the starting line yet.

No his new plan is to force a vote on just repealing Obamacare and then they'll "work" on a health care bill afterward.

Which won't pass because they know it's political suicide.

It's real easy to sit on the sidelines and try to cockblock the people actually attempting to work at a solution to America's health care problem. Almost a decade of standing back and shitting on this and trying to break it whenever and where they could, but when it was their turn to step up to the plate with a better bill they had no better answers whatsoever, they were only in this to dismantle it. And after all this embarrasment they've learned nothing, they're still gonna try to force it through even though no one likes it.
Their problem is that their party platform completely opposes any viable solution because they are supposed to be about minimal government spending. The problem is that additional coverage is not free, so their only viable solution is to pass the buck to private companies and hope they have peoples' best interests in mind.

JettDash

Doesn't that mean they're going to vote?

EDIT: I misread, he wants a vote on the house bill? Errr

He needs at least 50 in order to even open debate on the bill.

If a couple R Senators tell him to fuck himself, he can't do anything.

Their problem is that their party platform completely opposes any viable solution because they are supposed to be about minimal government spending. The problem is that additional coverage is not free, so their only viable solution is to pass the buck to private companies and hope they have peoples' best interests in mind.

And even those private companies don't WANT that additional overhead because it's a strain on them and doesn't amount to much additional revenue at all.

Nobody wants this.

chekhonte

Trump shitting aside, I'm really glad this didn't pass. I have a handful of friends that would have been horribly effected by this bill. People with mental health problems really get shafted and obamacare really helped a lot of people who have had trouble keeping it together with out it. Lets hope for single payer sometime in the future.

Ac30

No his new plan is to force a vote on just repealing Obamacare and then they'll "work" on a health care bill afterward.

I like this plan because it's terrible and no one is dumb enough to vote on a straight repeal.

He needs at least 50 in order to even open debate on the bill.

If a couple R Senators tell him to fuck himself, he can't do anything.

Beautiful. Thanks.

JettDash

Trump has been the president for almost six months. I think he has yet to sign any major legislation into law.

kirblar

It's almost staggering how little they've actually accomplished in six months.

Obama has the entirety of the federal government literally cease functioning for almost a year and obstruct him left and right for 5 more.

Trump and the GOP have the senate, and the house, and soon the SC.

And still. Can't. Accomplish. Shit.

Their incompetence is truly staggering.
This is what happened to Carter in '76. They had about the same amount of state legislatures controlled, a majority in both houses, but they ended up electing a president who had no idea how to get things done and who wasn't aligned ideologically with the party.

Nothing got done, and in 4 years you had Reagan.

Good. He is going to be remembered for losing all the time- As it should be. I hope he feels deep embarrassment for all that he has done.
Fuck him.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
but now he can watch obamacare fail and say 'i told you so right? Remember i said if we do nothing it will collapse'

so that should happen in the next couple weeks right? Unless he's a fucking liar.

Top Bottom