• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obamacare repeal officially dead , Trump rage on twitter [POLITICO]

I think its very interesting how they are struggling to push this through. They had at least 6 years to come up with a detailed plan. Yet instead they wasted their time ignoring their constituents, pissing and moaning over non-issues like Obama's trip to Cuba. The whole time they could have been devising a detailed, easily understandable rebuttal to the ACA. They could've been talking about responsible government spending and how to make the public more aware of what exactly their tax dollars are going into. They could have been spending more time promoting proven, evidence-based job-creation strategies, but no. They wasted time only opposing measures that were put forth without offering plausible alternatives.

This whole mess is a perfect metaphor for the general ignorance of these elected officials, and Trump is the Avatar of republican ignorance and avarice. He's the logical extension of what has been building up in that party for years. Corporate interests taking centre stage, opposition to diversity of any sort, and extremely limited insight into what people actually want out of government.

Thing is there is no rebuttal to the ACA that doesn't either leave millions more without healthcare and higher premiums for many, or that doesn't move closer to a single payer system. There is literally no magical legislation that will have less federal involvement and drop prices without screwing over the sick and poor.

That is why they haven't been able to come up with a alternative. There IS no good alternative that doesn't have more federal involvement. For all of the ACA's faults, it has moved the conversation. Society as a whole now expects a certain level of care and has no interest in going back to the old way.

bengraven

For the first time in a long time me and Trump agree. How can you go in and place blame on the Liberals one they don't control a fucking thing. That must be incredibly frustrating for the propaganda machine.

I think there is something the GoP can't accept.

They weren't elected because Americans want Obamacare repealed.

They were elected because a lot of people simply got tired of Democrats.

I do not believe Americans want anything LESS than what already exists so far as social programs go. They want MORE.

That is why nobody wants Trump or the GoP to "keep their promise". They weren't elected for their promises.

This is also a good point. The ACA was the rallying cry, but really as time has progressed people have accepted it more and more and its not why independents voted R's into power. Power fluctuates between the two parties for one simple reason... the grass always looks greener on the other side.

Society as a whole now expects a certain level of care and has no interest in going back to the old way.

I hope this is true. The Republican war/propaganda/media machine is damn powerful stuff and could get people backwards in their thinking with enough repetition. Don't forget people voting just out of it "being bad" (i.e. ppl thinking Obamacare and ACA were two separate things)

JettDash

For the first time in a long time me and Trump agree. How can you go in and place blame on the Liberals one they don't control a fucking thing. That must be incredibly frustrating for the propaganda machine.

Trump blames Democrats. I'm pretty sure they have zero problem taking the "blame" for Trumpcare dying. Not that it makes any sense. Republicans wanted to see if they could get a partisan vote. Democrats don't support paying for tax cuts with healthcare spending cuts,

I hope this is true. The Republican war/propaganda/media machine is damn powerful stuff and could get people backwards in their thinking with enough repetition. Don't forget people voting just out of it "being bad" (i.e. ppl thinking Obamacare and ACA were two separate things)

It is true. That's why the bill only could muster something in the 20's% approval. People don't want to lose protections for preexisting conditions. People don't want to contract medicare. Our society is slowly but surely moving more towards believing healthcare is a right, not a privilege.

Here is one other piece of thought. If this truly is the end of an effort to repeal it, can those GOP governors now opt in to the medicare expansion? If a repeal is dead, I don't see why they wouldn't. Its not like there is any likelihood that the GOP picks up more seats in the Senate/House.

JettDash

The new plan to repeal now and replace later is like the worst and stupidest idea since the GOP's last stupid idea. Thankfully it will be even more unpopular than this bill was and hopefully DOA.

If they hold a vote on it, it will probably just be to prove that Obamacare repeal is officially dead.

Socivol

They can only lose one more and this repeal without a replacement is dead. Heller will probably be a no because if he's a yes he's fucked next year (although it seems like he's already fucked for next year regardless.)

HylianTom

Banned
I haven't ducked into FreeRepublic in a while. They're furious. I'm loving it.

When you see conservatives repeating a liberal talking point (in this case, "These morons had 7 fucking years to come-up with something!"), you know shit's getting interesting.

Krakatoa

They can only lose one more and this repeal without a replacement is dead. Heller will probably be a no because if he's a yes he's fucked next year (although it seems like he's already fucked for next year regardless.)

Don't they need 60 votes for repeal? In other words its already dead.

Socivol

Don't they need 60 votes for repeal? In other words its already dead.

I don't think so because they have passed repeal bills previously without 60 when Obama was president. Also, if it needed 60 votes I don't even think that they would be floating this idea because they know they will never get that.

McBryBry

Want healthcare to improve instead of stall?
Want to not get fucked by ISPs?
Want to go back to when we weren't a laughing stock of a country?

Vote Blue.

Put that on billboards.

iFYeSMi.gif

Woo-Fu

Banned
Repeal without replace was already dead, that's why they've been struggling to get repeal and replace going.

Turns out slashing medicaid/medicare to provide tax cuts to the rich is a really hard sell.

JettDash

The Republicans repeal Obamacare in 2015 using reconciliation. Well, they couldn't repeal the regulations. 32 million off insurance and premiums double

they obviously knew Obama was going to veto it

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
JFC, just fix Obamacare and stop sabotaging it.

The hilarious thing is he could probably propose a couple of minor tweaks or improvements to the ACA, get it passed and take complete credit for the whole system. Just tell people Obamacare is officially dead and Trumpcare is now. None of his supporters would know the difference or care.

Dude Abides

Banned
When the House bill failed the first time the t_d scumbags were crowing about how it was some masterstroke to cuck Paul Ryan. Now they just mad.

I don't think so because they have passed repeal bills previously without 60 when Obama was president. Also, if it needed 60 votes I don't even think that they would be floating this idea because they know they will never get that.

I think the Democrats knew it would be veto'd and didn't bother filibustering those bills.

So basically

12 months ago:
Trump: "Obamacare is a disaster. Needs to be repealed and replaced with a far better plan for everyone"
Obama: "This is the best I could do. If anyone has a better plan lets hear it"
Trump: "...."

6 months ago
Trump "I never expected healthcare to be this complicated"

Now:
Trump "I can't get the house to pass a better plan, but let's repeal Obamacare anyways"

mlclmtckr

Banned
The hilarious thing is he could probably propose a couple of minor tweaks or improvements to the ACA, get it passed and take complete credit for the whole system. Just tell people Obamacare is officially dead and Trumpcare is now. None of his supporters would know the difference or care.

That won't work on the true believers in congress though.

The fact is they're fucked. They fought the ACA so hard because they knew that once it was implemented it would be political suicide to roll it back. And now they can't even fix or improve it because their caucus is full of supply-side snake oil drinkers.

This is what happens when your entire ideology is based on a lie. Eventually you have to govern, and then it turns out no one wants your batshit nineteenth century robber baron utopia.

But they're not interested in fixing it or in providing affordable health care for anyone. Ideally they'd like the poor to hurry up and die already but they suddenly realized that's a politically unviable campaign slogan for 2018.

This plan wouldn't have passed the house

JettDash

McConnell should retire to his shell forever. He fucked this up pretty bad.

It was obvious to me from the stat that this would never get done. Yet he didn't know and he is their leader?

McConnell should have had them hold a vote early telling anyone who wants to vote against Just to see this done and dead.

Why did he want this to pass anyway. It would have done huge damage to the party. And at the first opportunity, I would have

20 Medicaid expansion state Senators, how's he going to get nearly all them all to fuck their states? (it seems he was telling them the cuts would never happen which gets back to right wingers)

He spent so much time working on it trying to find any 50 senators to vote for any version, he didn't give the slightest fuck about what was in the bills.

Working secretly on such a major piece of legislation has no precedent. Until now.

What is the point of coming up with these bills with CBO scores so terrible they will never pass?

Failed to understand that they biggest problem they had was money. they wanted to give it to rich people instead of sick people. Opposite of what most people want.

Pence speaking now. Is it just me or does it seem like he's aged a few years in the last six months?

Let's hope it's exponential and he's pushing up daisies in another 6 months. Worthless fuck.

Ironic that GOP can't get support for their shitty bill because it's not shitty enough for some GOP'ers and that in turn leaves Obamacare.

Top Bottom