• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBS: White House says Senate will retain "main pillars" of health care bill

Tripon

The White House expects the Senate to embrace the main provisions of the House-passed American Health Care Act (AHCA) despite senators quickly signaling that they will craft their own version of the bill.

"We expect there to be some changes, but we expect the principles and the main pillars of the health care bill as it exists now to remain the same," Sarah Huckabee Sanders, deputy press secretary, told reporters at the daily briefing Friday.

When asked if President Trump is setting a deadline for the Senate to pass its measure, Sanders said that the administration doesn't want to set an artificial deadline because she said the president is focused on "get it right, not fast." The House, however, voted on the GOP-sponsored legislation Thursday afternoon, just a day after revisions were made to it, and without a score from the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office (CBO).

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/white-house-says-senate-will-retain-main-pillars-of-health-care-bill/

Oh good, I thought they might try and do something about less coverage and more expensive plans. Glad to see that's not the case.

Trump called a GoP Rep on Wednesday and cursed him out on the phone for not voting yes on the shitty House bill.

I'm sure the worst President in USA history will be even minded and fair when it goes to the Senate...

As mentioned, the CBO hasn't gone out yet, and this could just be very big talk considering the major money groups (AARP, for example) telling them to back this whole thing off.

Wait a minute, this is the White House saying it and not the Senate themselves?

RDreamer

The main pillars being "let states allow insurance companies to do whatever the fuck they want" and the biggest pillar being "give the rich a tax cut."

Iksenpets

Banned
And why exactly is the White House telling me this instead of the Senate? They have a pretty poor track record of predicting what Congress is going to do...

RPGCrazied

Can't wait for that CBO score to come out.

Its probably going to be worse then the first score. I hope it makes them look really, really bad. And they are on break next week, so expect some angry town halls, specially after they voted yes for this travesty.

Bluenoser

Trump called a GoP Rep on Wednesday and cursed him out on the phone for not voting yes on the shitty House bill.

I'm sure the worst President in USA history will be even minded and fair when it goes to the Senate...

Senators would just tell him to go fuck himself though.

Steejee

Man I hope that CBO score is even more brutal than expected just so that they can hang an even bigger albatross on the GOPs neck.

RDreamer

The big problem with hinging on this not passing the senate is that if anything passes there and goes back to the house then there's a lot of pressure on the house to approve of it. A handful of Republicans probably don't want the attack ads and Trump himself hitting them for fucking up the singular chance at repealing Obamacare.

My guess is that it'll be more palatable for the moderates once it goes back but that the freedom caucus will put their tail between their legs and vote for it since it's the one chance to take out Obamacare. They come from hardcore districts and would be vulnerable to those attacks from the right.

It's Trump throwing a fit at the mere chance they'll throw his great healthcare plan into the rubbish bin

No, this is Trump's team trying to walk back his praise of Australia's healthcare and keep everyone united and on the same page. I'm sure freedom caucus are worried it'll change a ton in the Senate. If their messaging is that the pillars stay the same then there's less leeway for them to bail when it comes back.

cameron

And why exactly is the White House telling me this instead of the Senate? They have a pretty poor track record of predicting what Congress is going to do...

The WH is trying to save face. While Trump and House members were celebrating in the Rose Garden for passing a turd, several Senate members said they'll craft their own bill. The WH tried to do damage control at the Press Briefing the next day.

(Press questions about the bill starts at ~42:20): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-GsK0u38fg&feature=youtu.be&t=2540

Loxley

This sounds like the WH publicly pressuring the Senate not to try and change too much or else the Freedom Caucus will bolt and/or moderate Republicans will change their votes back to "no".

Top Bottom