• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White House plans to push House GOP for friendlier Russia sanctions deal

Ensirius

I almost feel like Trump's end game is to get impeached because he does not care for the presidency.
He then goes back to cry about how he couldn't do what he was set out to do because histery and shit.

Biske

"there is absolutely nothing to this Russia thing, FAKE NEWS!!!, also we should make things easier on their government, cause America FIRST!!!!"

Hyoukokun

I feel like Trump is mostly do this out of perverse spite and machismo at this point. He has to push for this because it would seem like he's backing down in the face of the investigation if he didn't, and he never backs down (except for all those times he did, quietly, when it was past obvious that he was fighting a losing battle).

I don't get the logic of what they're saying about this not having the visibility and awareness it should. The whole Russia thing has completely consumed most of the news. I really don't know how else you could be more aware of that at this point.

Well I guess you are right, when I read something attributed to an unnamed source my eyes just glaze over.

Being skeptical of anonymous sources is fine. Completely ignoring reports based off them is willful blindness, considering how many stories based off anonymous reporting has been validated through named congressional testimony these last few months.

Dali

Donald, this is not how you pretend you didn't collude with the Russia.
You're right. You do it by firing the guy heading the investigation, then meeting in private with Russians the very next day and disclosing sensitive intelligence.

Kilau

Being skeptical of anonymous sources is fine. Completely ignoring reports based off them is willful blindness, considering how many stories based off anonymous reporting has been validated through named congressional testimony these last few months.

You're falling for the spin. Don't fall for the spin.

I'm not, I even said i'm not saying it isn't happening, I just don't see any "there" there in the story.

Unless it fits your narrative, I'm sure.

What would that be?

I'm not, I even said i'm not saying it isn't happening, I just don't see any "there" there in the story.

You don't see a problem with an administration that is suspected of colluding with Russia to attack an election attempting to water-down a bill sanctioning Russia for attacking an American election?

Yeah, OK.

Steel

Banned

What would that be?

So, here's the thing. It's not illegal to leak stuff like this. This is not classified information. The reason the source remains unnamed is so that the source can keep their job, but they're not at a huge amount of risk here. So, my point is, I don't see why it's hard to understand that places like the washington post and nyt have access to people that know these things. In fact, it's relatively simple to get access to sources who would be in the know for this type of thing. And Wapo and the NYT do not make stories off of only one source.

Kilau

You don't see a problem with an administration that is suspected of colluding with Russia to attack an election attempting to water-down a bill sanctioning Russia for attacking an American election?

Yeah, OK.

So, here's the thing. It's not illegal to leak stuff like this. This is not classified information. The reason the source remains unnamed is so that the source can keep their job, but they're not at a huge amount of risk here. So, my point is, I don't see why it's hard to understand that places like the washington post and nyt have access to people that know these things. In fact, it's relatively simple to get access to sources who would be in the know for this type of thing. And Wapo and the NYT do not make stories off of only one source.

You guys are all conflating what I've actually said and are spoiling for a fight where there is none.

Steel

Banned
You guys are all conflating what I've actually said and are spoiling for a fight where there is none.

You said your eyes glaze over when you hear unnamed sources. How am I supposed to interpret that as anything other than a misunderstanding of how journalism works?

Unless there is a third interpretation of your statement I don't see, neither ways are a reasoned and informed position to take.

If your statement is that you're ignoring the report based off anonymous sourcing, then as we've explained that is not reasonable.

If your statement is that you see no 'there' there about the Trump Admin trying to kill a bill sanctioning the Russian attack on the election that brought Trump to power, that is also not a reasonable position.

You're welcome to restate your position more clearly.

Lo-Volt

This administration is slowly but surely removing any possibility of an "alternate theory of the crime" when it does stuff like this. This would be a great time to deflect or delay criticism by letting the sanctions pass, or 'aligning' them without weakening them if there's a real foreign policy consequence we need to avoid. But no, it has to be friendly to Russia?

Kilau

You said your eyes glaze over when you hear unnamed sources. How am I supposed to interpret that as anything other than a misunderstanding of how journalism works?

I was being sarcastic there. Sorry that my opinion on this article ruffled so many feathers.

Unless there is a third interpretation of your statement I don't see, neither ways are a reasoned and informed position to take.

If your statement is that you're ignoring the report based off anonymous sourcing, then as we've explained that is not reasonable.

If your statement is that you see no 'there' there about the Trump Admin trying to kill a bill sanctioning the Russian attack on the election that brought Trump to power, that is also not a reasonable position.

You're welcome to restate your position more clearly.

Again, you guys just want a fight. I'm not going to give it to you.

I didn't like the article as presented, end of story. Sheesh.

Steel

Banned
I was being sarcastic there. Sorry that my opinion on this article ruffled so many feathers.

My feathers are not really ruffled. Though I suppose tone is difficult to pass on over the internet. It's a discussion forum, so if you run into a post you feel like responding to, you respond to it. Pretty simple. That being said you're still not making much sense. And I really don't understand why you're being super defensive without being clear about anything.

Go ahead House GOP. Side with Trump in this. I'm sure making yourself a clear threat to the freedom of our country will make you look fantastic to the IC.

_Ryo_

PeePee tape must be worse than anyone thought it was.

Maybe it was underage prostitutes with him verballyn talking about his plans to betray USA, while partaking in golden showers? I dunno but to be this blatant about your guilt in the face of several investigations is... something else

Karl2177

I'm gonna make a pair of assumptions here: 1) the Trump team was colluding with Russia, and 2) part of the collusion is to soften the United States official stance on Russian sanctions. I know a lot of people are looking at the situation from a US centric position of how will Trump misstep this or how will the GOP react, but what I want to know is how will Putin react. We know he attempted (and possibly succeeded somewhere) in altering voter registration. We have evidence that Russian spies were mapping the US power grid and that the Kremlin is supposedly developing a cyber weapon that can disrupt the power grid. What is Putin going to do if Trump fails to soften the US stance?

This kind of news plays up or brings to discussion a rift in House and senate GOP I haven't paid enough attention to.

They tried so hard to get the AHCA through the house but knew it wouldn't fly in the senate.

The Senate GOP goes nearly lockstep on this regulation and the WH just says fuck, the REAL GOP is all in the house.

weird.

I think Tillerson is probably right that the bill is TOO stringent and would tie the executive branch's hands in terms of dealings with Russia (Tillerson has been an unexpectedly professional and competent surprise, tbh), but, like, it's your fault for tying yourself to the "Russia guy" in the first place, dude.

I think Tillerson is probably right that the bill is TOO stringent and would tie the executive branch's hands in terms of dealings with Russia (Tillerson has been an unexpectedly professional and competent surprise, tbh), but, like, it's your fault for tying yourself to the "Russia guy" in the first place, dude.

The fuck? They attacked us! Nothing is too stringent.

Got

Banned

lol

abundant

This kind of news plays up or brings to discussion a rift in House ans senate GOP I haven't paid enough attention to.

They tried so hard to get the AHCA through the house but knew it wouldn't fly in the senate.

The Senate GOP goes nearly lockstep on this regulation and the WH just says fuck, the REAL GOP is all in the house.

weird.

The reason for that is because the Senate can't rely on gerrymandering to win elections, so they have to be careful not to do anything that will piss off most of America.

RPGCrazied

Has Trump ever been critical to Russia or Putin? Something is wrong with that. There is fire with Trump/Russia as far as I'm concerned.

LOL what is their reasoning to lesson sanctions on Russia? I got to hear it. Come on Trump keep pushing for this when being investigated for working with Russia, this wouldn't hurt you at all!

Volimar

7VSYLdE.gif

Never gets old.

The fuck? They attacked us! Nothing is too stringent.

I meant too stringent with respect to what would typically be implemented in situations like this, wherein negotiation and diplomacy by the Executive branch typically works hand in hand with legislative solutions.

It's warranted in this case, given we don't know what Trump's Russia ties are and therefore can't trust him, but I think Tillerson is basically correct that this will hamstring him in a way that will make his job much harder.

I feel like Tillerson's comments would make sense under normal circumstances, but we're so far from normal circumstances it just feels like pandering

I'm gonna make a pair of assumptions here: 1) the Trump team was colluding with Russia, and 2) part of the collusion is to soften the United States official stance on Russian sanctions. I know a lot of people are looking at the situation from a US centric position of how will Trump misstep this or how will the GOP react, but what I want to know is how will Putin react. We know he attempted (and possibly succeeded somewhere) in altering voter registration. We have evidence that Russian spies were mapping the US power grid and that the Kremlin is supposedly developing a cyber weapon that can disrupt the power grid. What is Putin going to do if Trump fails to soften the US stance?

I highly doubt Putin is sitting on some kind of anime super weapon that will take down America's entire grid, but honestly, it's worth the risk. Russia needs to feel something for what they've done, not be ignored and/or rewarded

VariantX

There is something clearly, obviously wrong when in the situation the white house is in, they keep trying to protect Russia. There are ongoing investigations that keep finding dirt on people and they still insist on doing this. They must be REAL confident that they can all make this go away somehow.

I want to know WTF Tillerson has done that's impressed you. He avoids communications with the press and his own department, a department that is still tragically understaffed. He seems thrilled with the proposed budget cuts that would render State completely impotent. He has consistently released statements that are in direct contradiction to the White House. He has been a complete disaster. His only saving grace is the fact that his incompetence has rendered him ineffectual.

I haven't seen a worse State Department in my life.

Top Bottom