• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters: Entire Senate to Attend Briefing on North Korea at White House

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy.brush

I hope that means he is really desperate and the IC is at his door step ready to bust in and take names.
Those rumours of a tape that Carter Page carried to Moscow with Trump pledging to play nice if he is made President via a Russian assisted election win would be about as smoking a gun you can get.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm as nervous about Trump as anyone...

But I think we'd be seeing confrontation with NK right now, no matter who is in office.

This is happening because of NK's advancing nuclear capability, not because Trump initiated anything.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
This is huge, probably discussing post communist transition after the Kim dynasty falls. And it will fall, it's only a matter of time

If I'm not mistaken, the draft cuts off at 30? Not sure. But with the military our size, I really don't see a draft. Well, there will be tons of red staters running to join if we actually go to war. Not as much as with Iraq, but there's a lot of red hot country boys who think it's their duty to go out there for 'Merica.
Patriotism doesn't start and end in the south.

On the other hand I don't feel comfortable with North Korea making nuclear weapons. This is a country ruled by a highly unstable government with puppet Kim at the helm. Ever since the Korean War they have talked and indoctrinated their citizens that we are evil. That you and I are savages. Ask yourself this, do you really trust North Korea in the long run with ICBMs. My opinion might be unpopular here on gaf but something has to be done eventually. This would be a long time coming. But if we do this, do it right. We need everyone on board. Korea, China, Russia.

But is Trump the one you want as Commander-in-Chief during this, though?

4Tran

Those two countries aren't completely off the walls batshit insane, either. Both a little kookey in their own ways, but not likely to start threatening to nuke people because their leader woke up and didnt get his lollipop.
It'd be wrong to claim that North Korea is insane. They're self-interested actors who could have restarted the Korean War any time in the last sixty years but refrained from doing so. If saber rattling was sufficient to qualify for insanity then the US would be one of the most unhinged countries in the world.

It's a Designated Survivor move. He's inviting them into the White House, then he'll cower in the basement while someone takes out the building above.

From the rubble a new, trashy, golden monument will rise. With no Senate to stand in his way Trump will declare himself Leader and war will be on.

Patriotism doesn't start and end in the south.

Obviously, I'm talking generally. But if you don't think there will be a much more wave of people running to enlist to a potential war under Donald Trump from red states over blue states, you really haven't been paying a lot of attention to the current climate of the US.

But I think we'd be seeing confrontation with NK right now, no matter who is in office.

This is happening because of NK's advancing nuclear capability, not because Trump initiated anything.

Very true, but it's just the way Trump will handle it that worries me.

compo

Banned

That's true, and we have seen this behavior in the past from NK. But that was when we had competent leaders who did the correct thing, which was ignore NK.

Now we have Cheeto Mussolini who gets offended at the slightest transgression against him, and can't help but reply, no matter how stupid and immature the argument is. It's like a perfect storm of two idiots with Kim Jong Un and Trump.

wildfire

Banned
Anyone who joined the military after Trump won is a fool. I don't think that is cruel to say. It's an honest opinion and a correct one I would say. Whether North Korea or someplace else, whether his ratings were great or poor, this man was always going to find a war somewhere.

Anyone who joins the military always understood they would be risking their life. Trump increasing the likelihood only changes the decision matrix for those who never accepted that fact but wanted all the other benefits of being a veteran. No one is being foolish.

Sulik2

Can't wait to see the future history texts positing the question if it was justified to obliterate Seoul because America decided to sucker punch North Korea with a nuke.

Of course it was will be the answer. If you look at this purely from a logical stand point. If you have hard evidence that NK intends to carry out unprovoked and uncontrolled nuclear warfare once they have the capability. Then sacrificing Seoul to stop them from wiping another dozen cities off the map make perfectly reasonable sense. Its the logical insanity of nuclear weapons. 10 million people dying in a blink of an eye is preferable outcome to perhaps hundreds of millions of dead if NK starts indiscriminately launching nukes.

Dr.Acula

Banned

Same way we were gonna to appoint a new supreme court justice no matter who was in office, or how we were going to handle immigration or health care no matter who was in office. It's not about who's in office... but it's kinda about who's in office.

MarionCB

On the other hand I don't feel comfortable with North Korea making nuclear weapons. This is a country ruled by a highly unstable government with puppet Kim at the helm. Ever since the Korean War they have talked and indoctrinated their citizens that we are evil. That you and I are savages. Ask yourself this, do you really trust North Korea in the long run with ICBMs. My opinion might be unpopular here on gaf but something has to be done eventually. This would be a long time coming. But if we do this, do it right. We need everyone on board. Korea, China, Russia.

The serious flaw you have here is that Trump will be in charge of all of this. He has never done anything right in his entire life and is an utterly incompetent, ignorant fool and unhinged maniac totally driven by applause and adulation. Forget NK having nukes, I'm scared of the US having nukes if you elect people like Trump! Seeing Trump praised for sending missiles into another country was legitimately fear-inducing for me.

Guy.brush

BS. He put that topic on the public agenda to distract from the IC investigations getting closer and closer through all that thick smoke and home in on the target
When was the last time NK had any successful missile test?
Any hawkish pres could stealthily sabotage their tries til the end of times without calling attention to it.
He needs to have an ongoing big distraction that makes the Russia scandal go away and he needs it urgently. It literally is Wag the Dog: Trump Edition.

Anyone who thinks "this had to be solved at one point as it was growing out of control" is feeding into how this discussion is framed and helping to spread the WH talking points.

That is a fair point. To look at it from a particularly Trumpian perspective, either of the nominal options - that aren't sticking to the status quo and things somehow working out - could potentially sink his already questionable legacy. If NK were to ever launch a nuke - which they now have the semi-consistent capability for, though their range leaves much to be desired to Kim - then Trump will be the President who 'let' American civilians die to a foreign power with a weapon of mass destruction. If he does move to preempt them, then he triggers the next big American war, and depending on whether or not China gets involved, possibly the biggest war the world has seen since the end of WW2.

Thing is, I doubt he'd much own his choice either way.

Obviously, I'm talking generally. But if you don't think there will be a much more wave of people running to enlist to a potential war under Donald Trump from red states over blue states, you really haven't been paying a lot of attention to the current climate of the US.
I live in NY, I know a lot of people itching to go back to war, mostly vets from the Iraq wars.

TheXbox

No, but wouldn't it be nice if this potentially-cataclysmic foreign confrontation was in the hands of someone who knew what they were doing? Just imagine Donald Trump in Kennedy's place during the Cuban Missile Crisis. In fact, you might not have to.

BS. He put that topic on the public agenda to distract from the IC investigations getting closer and closer through all that thick smoke and home in on the target
When was the last time NK had any successful missile test?
Any hawkish pres could stealthily sabotage their tries til the end of times without calling attention to it.
He needs to have an ongoing big distraction that makes the Russia scandal go away and he needs it urgently. It literally is Wag the Dog: Trump Edition.

I don't understand Trump's desire to make the Russia issue go away in the eyes of the public.

It's not doing shit in terms of the digging that the FBI and the CIA are doing, so why bother?

wildfire

Banned

The enlisted are already disproportionately Red and rural. Dems and urbanites were already less likely to join.

Parity only exists in the officer ranks.

I'm far more concerned about Pakistan having nukes than I am North Korea.

JordanN

Banned

Unless North Korea turns into some Taliban-esque government where they're not afraid to die, they're never going to attack first, especially with a nuke.

Too much focus on their capabilities, but North Korea is a Cold War era country. South Korea already has them beat in everything except those artillery pointed at their capital. But no matter the outcome, North Korea will always lose. They can't win a war.
They had 50 years to prove otherwise, and they clearly never made a move again.

kess

Of course it was will be the answer. If you look at this purely from a logical stand point. If you have hard evidence that NK intends to carry out unprovoked and uncontrolled nuclear warfare once they have the capability. Then sacrificing Seoul to stop them from wiping another dozen cities off the map make perfectly reasonable sense. Its the logical insanity of nuclear weapons. 10 million people dying in a blink of an eye is preferable outcome to perhaps hundreds of millions of dead if NK starts indiscriminately launching nukes.

I wonder if Trump has the capacity to realize what he is being set up for here, then. Yet only someone as damaged as Trump could be able to pull it off.

Joe

Iraq
Afghanistan
Syria
Yemen (proxy)
Libya (proxy)

North Korea (possibility rising)

Any I'm missing?

BocoDragon

That's true, and we have seen this behavior in the past from NK. But that was when we had competent leaders who did the correct thing, which was ignore NK.
There's a big difference now in why it's prudent to respond differently, and it's not Trump:

NK is apparently 3-5 years from being able to launch a nuke.

Anyone who is president this term would be forced to consider pre-emptive action. There's a reason why Obama talked to Trump about NK as he left office.

zelas

I'm going to be so deeply ashamed of my country if we ever use nuclear weapons again.
Why would you even think this??? We can wipe out NK without resorting to nukes.

These situations don't automatically turn to the worst case scenario. Chill out man.

The enlisted are already disproportionately Red and rural. Dems and urbanites were already less likely to join.

Parity only exists in the officer ranks.

Yep

I thought his base were anti-war?

A large part of them, particularly the far right like Alex Jones and David Duke aren't so much anti-war as much as they're anti-intervention. They hated his attacks of Syria, and a lot of them jumped ship. But another large part of his base, the right-wing evangelicals, are rock hard about it. Rock. Hard. Seeing all kinds of FB posts from religious family members stocking that fire.

People really think Trump is a drooling idiot? Trump is no idiot, he's an evil genius who aligns himself with even worse slimeballs.

With that said not even Bush would dare strike first. Nobody wants to deal with the shitshow Nkorea will be. Years and years of terrorist attacks, trillions of dollars wasted on rebuilding the populace, China pissed. Status Quo should remain. America not content with the destabilized middle East is going to destablish North Korea. Brilliant move! Have we learned nothing from Afghanistan, Iraq, and Libya?

BocoDragon

Unless North Korea turns into some Taliban-esque government where they're not afraid to die, they're never going to attack first, especially with a nuke.

Too much focus on their capabilities, but North Korea is a Cold War era country. South Korea already has them beat in everything except those artillery pointed at their capital. But no matter the outcome, North Korea will always lose. They can't win a war.
The US is not worried about NK launching a nuke. They're worried about NK emerging as an untouchable minor power who can throw their weight around in the world because they have the threat of a nuke.

Imagine a NK that becomes a major player on the world stage. You can strangle it in the crib now (within the next half decade).... or regret it forever more. What do you do?

I wonder if Trump has the capacity to realize what he is being set up for here, then. Yet only someone as damaged as Trump could be able to pull it off.

I highly doubt Trump cares at all, and would not shed one tear for another who would die in this theoretical situation.

i-Lo

It'll be interesting to see when the discrimination and race related violence start to occur against East-Asians (cause racists can't tell the difference just like with brown people) if US goes to war with NK.

I thought his base were anti-war?

Yep

A large part of them, particularly the far right like Alex Jones and David Duke aren't so much anti-war as much as they're anti-intervention. They hated his attacks of Syria, and a lot of them jumped ship. But another large part of his base, the right-wing evangelicals, are rock hard about it. Rock. Hard. Seeing all kinds of FB posts from religious family members stocking that fire.

Which makes North Korea into an ambiguous situation to try and read from them. There is a much more obvious threat to American lives with North Korea, but it would still be potentially starting a war when a lot of these people just don't want the US to be doing anything overseas. I think it might leave a lot of them uncertain, especially if they're in the age range for the draft.

Kurdel

Banned
Wasn't he suppose to announce his amazing tax plan Wednesday?

Yes.

He is hoping half assed theatrics will help him save face before the 100 day marker.

giphy.gif

The US is not worried about NK launching a nuke. They're worried about NK emerging as an untouchable minor power who can throw their weight around in the world because they have the threat of a nuke.

Imagine a NK that becomes a major player on the world stage. You can strangle it in the crib now (within the next half decade).... or regret it forever more. What do you do?

NK isn't an 'it' it's a country full of innocent people.

Ahh, the Homefront gambit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom