• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[US] - PSN Flash Sale is live, The Witcher 3 25, The Order 1886, Wolfenstein 9

Which one is recommended... Wolfenstein Old Blood or New Order??? Only want to get one or the other... Thanks in advance for some insight!

Tizoc

Which one is recommended... Wolfenstein Old Blood or New Order??? Only want to get one or the other... Thanks in advance for some insight!

Old Blood is shorter, but get both.
Be forwarned that there is nudity in TNO, but you can skip those cutscenes, otherwise it is deserving of goty 2014.

For $10?!?!? The hate surrounding this game is so fucking ridiculous.

Even for $10 it's not worth it.
I got bored by the time I got like 3/4 of the game through and traded it off.

There are better linear action shooting games on PS4 anyways.
Order may LOOK good, but it's gameplay and pacing are just dull and uninspired.

kevin1025

Banned

I'd go The New Order, it edges out Old Blood very slightly for me. You can't really go wrong with either, but if it were my choice, New Order all the way. It was a lot more interesting and fun, and a longer game (if that counts for anything)!

RexNovis

Banned
Someone talk me out of buying Taken King please.

It's basically the gaming equivalent of
N8Ih2mc.gif
. It's addictive and has yes moments but by and large it's just a perpetual (oftentimes frustrating) battle against RNG that has the tendency to monopolize your time if you let it. I stopped playing it a while back and am having much more fun playing a handful of other games (DQ: Heroes, Battlefront, Bloodborne DLC). So, basically, buy at your own risk IMO.

That's what I'm saying though. It's crazy gimme that people are saying the game isn't even worth $10. You'd think the game was some buggy glitchy mess the way people go on and on about but it's not at all. It's certainly worth the equivalent cost of a single movie ticket.

Yep. I'd say it's even worth the $20 it was before the deal.

Old Blood is terrible, in my opinion. I couldn't even bother to get past the introductory "stealthy" sequence where you're limited to a melee weapon and have to either avoid or sneak-attack a bunch of super-nazis, all packed into a narrow hallway with very few places to hide.

Felt more like I had to puzzle out the route instead of going in guns blazing (which is how New Order was) so I figured if the intro could miss the mark so bad compared to the previous title, it wasn't worth investing time into the rest of the game.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
For $10?!?!? The hate surrounding this game is so fucking ridiculous.

Maybe they mean it's not worth the time.

I played it through once during the course of several lunchbreaks, but not sure I would ever be in the mood to play it again, even at a $10 steal.

It's technically and visually stunning, but that's about it...
For me, it's less about "hate" and more about "indifference".

LiK

Maybe they mean it's not worth the time.

I played it through once during the course of several lunchbreaks, but not sure I would ever be in the mood to play it again, even at a $10 steal.

It's technically and visually stunning, but that's about it...
For me, it's less about "hate" and more about "indifference".

if the story was good, i would say it's worth checking out at higher prices but man, they really dropped the ball on it.

jrcbandit

Someone talk me out of buying Taken King please.

You can get a good month of play out of it without it feeling boring/repetitive. But after that, it feels like the same old Destiny and a slog to play. So I wouldn't buy it if you want long term play out of it. Haven't felt the need to log in since mid October and running the raid 2 times but I did have lots of fun the first 2 weeks or so.

What about Godzilla? Seems like the kind of game that would be fun for that price.

Does J-star Victory have any good single player component? No interest in playing fighters online other than Smash.

Tizoc

Look if you want a good linear shooting game on the PS4 that's cheap right now, go grab Metal Slug 3

It's a good port, offers replayability and has 2 player co-op.
Also has fantastic soundtrack and best English ever
RAWKIT LAWNCHAIR.

It WAS on sale a few weeks ago, but hey you got a 10% discount code, go relive the good old days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJFzqriKHFk

Cade

Guys if I've never played wolfenstein TNO will I like old blood if I just want a short Shooty campaign or is it dependent on me caring about what its foreshadowing

Old Blood is terrible, in my opinion. I couldn't even bother to get past the introductory "stealthy" sequence where you're limited to a melee weapon and have to either avoid or sneak-attack a bunch of super-nazis, all packed into a narrow hallway with very few places to hide.

Felt more like I had to puzzle out the route instead of going in guns blazing (which is how New Order was) so I figured if the intro could miss the mark so bad compared to the previous title, it wasn't worth investing time into the rest of the game.
You didn't even play it...

Other than that I haven't either. But competing son..

RexNovis

Banned
Even for $10 it's not worth it.
I got bored by the time I got like 3/4 of the game through and traded it off.

There are better linear action shooting games on PS4 anyways.
Order may LOOK good, but it's gameplay and pacing are just dull and uninspired.

I actually really enjoyed the gunplay in the game. I think it mostly boils down to the setting more than anything else. If you dig the setting or the idea behind the setting then it can be a nice (also gorgeous) trip of virtual tourism. If it doesn't suit you setting wise then you'll tire of it. But fur someone to tell you it's not worth $10 if you even having just a passing interest in the game just seems petty to me.

Kinda thinking about Shadow of Mordor. I seem to remember it getting decent reviews on release, but how did it hold up after the honeymoon period?

Tizoc

You can get a good month of play out of it without it feeling boring/repetitive. But after that, it feels like the same old Destiny and a slog to play. So I wouldn't buy it if you want long term play out of it. Haven't felt the need to log in since mid October and running the raid 2 times but I did have lots of fun the first 2 weeks or so.

What about Godzilla? Seems like the kind of game that would be fun for that price.

Does J-star Victory have any good single player component? No interest in playing fighters online other than Smash.

Godzilla is a simple action game, and if you like kaiju or godzilla movies in general you will like it more. It's also great for kids to play, I mean who DOESN'T want to play as a giant monster stomping on tanks, destroying buildings and burning things?
You also get to play as King Ghidorah and Jet Jaguar, whose mother never loved him
3458951-csq8o.png

antitrop

Kinda thinking about Shadow of Mordor. I seem to remember it getting decent reviews on release, but how did it hold up after the honeymoon period?
Batman combat is too shallow to base an entire game around and the open-world is just Ubisoft tower-climbing collectathon bullshit.

Nemesis system is fun, if you haven't already mastered Batman combat.

LiK

awesome game and the different ways you can kill guys is always satisfying. def worth playing.

RexNovis

Banned

J-Star has a pretty crazy adventure mode that can be a lot of fun if your into Shonen Jump characters. You basically captain a pirate ship and sail around recruiting crew mates and fighting others. Lots of fun references, dude missions and character mash ups. There's also different arcs you can play which basically amount to different stories with different lead characters. You can get a pretty good idea of it from this. If that looks fun to you if say definitely grab it for the price.

Kevtones

Not quite as good as the main game... But considering the main game is totally amazing, that still makes the DLC merely "very good." I would still pick it up, it's lots of fun and if you came for the classic Nazi castle vibe (replete with some whacky occult shit) it delivers that in spades.

Sounds good to me. Thank you 😊

RexNovis

Banned
Look if you want a good linear shooting game on the PS4 that's cheap right now, go grab Metal Slug 3

It's a good port, offers replayability and has 2 player co-op.
Also has fantastic soundtrack and best English ever
RAWKIT LAWNCHAIR.

It WAS on sale a few weeks ago, but hey you got a 10% discount code, go relive the good old days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJFzqriKHFk

This is not even remotely similar to the Order and you damn well know it. Third person shooters do not equate to side scrolling shoot em ups. Nor does the pixel art equate to 3D rendering. I mean seriously? These two games offer completely different things.

kitzkozan

I'd go The New Order, it edges out Old Blood very slightly for me. You can't really go wrong with either, but if it were my choice, New Order all the way. It was a lot more interesting and fun, and a longer game (if that counts for anything)!

Yeah, the New Order is the superior value for the money since it's about the same price as the add-on (Old Blood) for twice the campaign content. On How long to beat, the average length of TNO (combined) is 14 hours vs 7 for TOB. Players also seems to somewhat dislike the challenge arenas in TOB.

bobawesome

For those that are fans of otome games and have played Amnesia: Memories, do you think I should pick it up? I love visual novels but I've never played an otome game before. I'm certainly not against the idea, though. Are the characters likeable and is the plot at least decent?

Tizoc

This is not even remotely similar to the Order and you damn well know it. Third person shooters do not equate to side scrolling shoot em ups. Nor does the pixel art equate to 3D rendering. I mean seriously? These two games offer completely different things.

They're still both linear shooting games though, which is why I brought it up :X

I would've mentioned Shadow Warrior but it's not discounted, and well that's more of a First Person Action game if not a shooter :p

Godzilla has some of the worst controls and graphics I have ever seen in a game. I highly recommend you check out some videos before you plop down the money for it.

There's nothing wrong with the controls or graphics. You're controlling a giant monster, why does it need to move like your average human protag video game character.

The game has black and white option mode for dat authentic 60s Godzilla feel too

Teknoman

Godzilla has some of the worst controls and graphics I have ever seen in a game. I highly recommend you check out some videos before you plop down the money for it.

Hey the models are pretty damn nice for the monsters. The controls are old school tank controls though, so if you arent used to em, then that could be a breaker.

Tizoc

It's a good Orc Slaying simulator but outside that it's...passable.

Hey the models are pretty damn nice for the monsters. The controls are old school tank controls though, so if you arent used to em, then that could be a breaker.

I dislike tank controls for the most part, but Godzilla's weren't an issue.

RexNovis

Banned
They're still both linear shooting games though, which is why I brought it up :X

I would've mentioned Shadow Warrior but it's not discounted, and well that's more of a First Person Action game if not a shooter :p

Linear is not the same as 2D side scroller dude. The Order combat takes place in three dimensions. You're being purposefully obtuse.

There's nothing wrong with the controls or graphics. You're controlling a giant monster, why does it need to move like your average human protag video game character.

The game has black and white option mode for dat authentic 60s Godzilla feel too
godzilla-ps4-diorama-mode-black-and-white-filter-gameplay-screenshot.png

The graphics (outside of character models) and effects are seriously horrendous looking. If that doesn't bother you that's fine but there is no way somebody can argue that it is a good looking game. If you buy this game it's not gonna be for the graphics.

The controls are incredibly cumbersome and the move sets for each playable mobster are very very limited. You can argue that monsters should feel cumbersome and unwieldy to control but that doesn't make the process of attempting to exert that control any more fun or less frustrating.

The monster models look decent yes but literally everything else does not. Look at the ground, the buildings and the explosion effects.

I had around $9 left on my PSN account (don't have a ps3 or ps4. long story short, I had to sell PS4 for medical supplies and also got a 3DS) and got these:

Bust-A-Move 4 (65 MB)

$1.62

Contra: Shattered Soldier (PS2 Classic) (Full Game)

$1.35

Max Payne 3 Complete Edition & Red Dead Redemption Bundle (Full Game)

$4.59

Metal Slug X™ (PSOne Classic) (71 MB Required)

$1.62

Total: $9.18 (with 10%) discount.

Thanks OP! Once I have a used ps3 and ps4, I can play these games.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Sword Art Online? $10 seems like a good price for it, but I've never played a Sword Art game before, and I've never watched the anime.

Damaniel

Banned
I wanted to try The Order, but I was going to wait until it got cheap. $10 is cheap enough for me.

EDIT: Make that $9 thanks to the coupon in OP, assuming that their site will let me actually complete the transaction...

Tizoc

Linear is not the same as 2D side scroller dude. The Order combat takes place in three dimensions. You're being purposefully obtuse.
By linear I mean straight forward without any alt. paths to progress a game.
The Order is linear, you are set only on the path which the developers made to progress any area of the game. Hence why I use the term.

The graphics (outside of character models) and effects are seriously horrendous looking.
SOme SFX for kaiju attacks are intended to resemble their movie counterparts, for example Godzilla '14's atomic breath effects are different to how Classic Godzilla's is. etc.
If that doesn't bother you that's fine but there is no way somebody can argue that it is a good looking game. If you buy this game it's not gonna be for the graphics.
Even still graphics aren't that bad, but yeah one is getting this fort the gameplay and the fanservice.
The controls are incredibly cumbersome and the move sets for each playable mobster are very very limited. You can argue that monsters should feel cumbersome and unwieldy to control but that doesn't make the process of attempting to exert that control any more fun or less frustrating.
Limited movesets is in various AAA action games anyways, this isn't a Platinum action game, the simple combat is likely so that those not used to a lot of action games can get into it with ease.

The monster models look decent yes but literally everything else does not. Look at the ground, the buildings and the explosion effects.

From the viewpoint of a kaiju, it doesn't matter what it looks like; what it looks like AFTER you stomp is all that matters :V

Top Bottom