• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Using VPN to access NFL Gamepass in North America (alternative to DTV's $300 stream)

Status
Not open for further replies.

effzee

Ok so thanks to this thread I am signing up for the strongVPN package ($55 per year) which will allow access to Netherlands servers.

This will work right? I am about to cancel my pre order on Madden, which this year has a special edition priced $100 to access NFL Sunday Ticket over the web. I assume NFLST streamed will be terrible?

I just don't want to cancel my pre-order and then find out this doesn't work either.

Also I am completely clueless about VPNs and accessing servers. How will this affect any other programs or web surfing if I have it turned on?

EDIT: Any suggestions between HideMyAss and StrongVPN?

Mesoian

Ok so thanks to this thread I am signing up for the strongVPN package ($55 per year) which will allow access to Netherlands servers.

This will work right? I am about to cancel my pre order on Madden, which this year has a special edition priced $100 to access NFL Sunday Ticket over the web. I assume NFLST streamed will be terrible?

I just don't want to cancel my pre-order and then find out this doesn't work either.

Also I am completely clueless about VPNs and accessing servers. How will this affect any other programs or web surfing if I have it turned on?

EDIT: Any suggestions between HideMyAss and StrongVPN?

I spoke to a rep at StrongVPN yesterday and they said that they have a 7 day no questions asked money back guarantee if you don't like/need the service. So I'll set this up the week before Season 1 and hope for the best. If it doesn't work, I'm not out any money and I...begrudgingly...up my cable package.

effzee

I spoke to a rep at StrongVPN yesterday and they said that they have a 7 day no questions asked money back guarantee if you don't like/need the service. So I'll set this up the week before Season 1 and hope for the best. If it doesn't work, I'm not out any money and I...begrudgingly...up my cable package.

Thanks for the info!

I'll hold off on getting it until a day or two before the season starts.

border

Giganews ViperVPN is a great choice. Never used it extensively, but their Usenet service is probably the best on the planet in terms of speed and retention. There are VPN servers in like 20 countries around the world, so you can also use their service to spoof a location in England, so you can watch BBC content for free. They have an iPhone/Android app if you are interested in using their VPN on mobile devices as well.

It's $10/month, but then you really only need it for like 4 months out of the year anyway right?

Dead Man

Crap, why did I hear about this? That's money out of my pocket :( At least I'll be able to watch the games now, even if I will still miss most of them live.

werks

Banned
AirVPN has a 1 euro trial membership for 3 days. If you start a trial membership every saturday for 17 weeks, it only costs $23.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
AIRVPN works great. Stream and speeds are almost equal to my normal connections speeds. Ping went up greatly, but that is to be expected. My up/down is only showing a.75 mbps difference with the VPN.

hlhbk

AIRVPN works great. Stream and speeds are almost equal to my normal connections speeds. Ping went up greatly, but that is to be expected. My up/down is only showing a.75 mbps difference with the VPN.

Once the stream starts you can disconnect from the VPN.

has anyone tried GhostPath VPN?

they apparently have a $5/month promo going on:

https://ghostpath.com/sale

I tried out the airVPN one but i'm not to impressed with the speeds of it so far. I know on gamepass you can disconnect from the VPN once the stream is started, but I can do that with a free VPN. If I pay for one I want it to be one that I can leave running without it having a big impact on my internet speed

hlhbk

has anyone tried GhostPath VPN?

they apparently have a $5/month promo going on:

https://ghostpath.com/sale

I tried out the airVPN one but i'm not to impressed with the speeds of it so far. I know on gamepass you can disconnect from the VPN once the stream is started, but I can do that with a free VPN. If I pay for one I want it to be one that I can leave running without it having a big impact on my internet speed

Why does it matter as long as you can watch the games?

So, Chromecast...can I hook it into my Roku? I have an old TV lol. If not I can just watch online of course. I'm definitely going to do this.

Again what are you worried about?

I'm using my brothers internet and i don't want to get his ISP suspended, seems like if you turn off the VPN after the stream starts your real IP would show up somewhere and they would wonder why someone from America is using gamepass for free, but maybe I'm just being paranoid

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I'm using my brothers internet and i don't want to get his ISP suspended, seems like if you turn off the VPN after the stream starts your real IP would show up somewhere and they would wonder why someone from America is using gamepass for free, but maybe I'm just being paranoid

I used airvpn and my internet connection normally runs at 9.82 down and 1.78 up. With the VPN connected it ran at 8.98 down and 1.3 up. The ping went up of course from 15ms to 200ms but the feed was fine.

I use Private Internet Access for my VPN needs. I highly recommend it. No limit on download speed, no logging, and you can pick where you proxy from a bunch of international and nation(US) locations. It's also very affordable.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So what was decided as the best free VPN to use? Basically you sign up for the VPN, activate it, go to the site and start the stream, then deactivate the VPN? Works on Macs right?

hlhbk

I guess I am confused here. What is your brother's ISP going to be suspended from? The worse that I can think would happen would be for nfl.com to suspend your account. But whatever makes you feel better man.

gutshot

Ok, I found a solution that doesn't require a VPN or any crazy DNS switching. Just a free Chrome browser extension called Hola Unblocker. I've been using it for a couple weeks now and it works great. Here's what you have to do:

1) Add the extension "Hola Unblocker" to your browser.
2) Go to the site: https://gamepass.nfl.com
3) Once there, click the "Hola Unblocker" flame and switch to the Netherlands.
4) The site will now reload, unblocked.
5) Now click a game. A popup will open.
6) Copy the pop-up link, and paste it in a new tab.
7) Wait for it to load, and start to buffer again.
8) Now switch Hola Unblocker "Back to US"
9) Site will reload and the video should start playing.

I plugged my laptop into my TV via an HDMI cable and watched some of the preseason games this past weekend. The quality was great and if you have a wireless mouse you can easily sit back on the couch and jump from game to game.

Have you been able to confirm this stream will work on Chromecast?

I tested it on a Chromecast and the video was basically a slideshow, my laptop was struggling to keep up. If you have a really beefy machine, it may be able to do it though. Come to think of it, I have a tricked out iMac at work, I will test it running off of there tomorrow and see if it is any better.

Anyone know if theirs anything similar for european soccer leagues?

NBC is streaming all of the Premiere League games for free online, if you have a cable subscription. (Or you can do the HBO Go thing and borrow someone elses.)

gutshot

Ok, just tested it with Chromecast streaming from my iMac and it works much better, but still not perfect. There is like a 1 second delay between the stream on the Mac and the stream on the TV. Also, it looks crystal clear and smooth on my 27 inch iMac screen but the picture on the TV is not as clear and seems to be suffering from some refresh rate issues.

I'd say you will likely get better results just getting an HDMI cable and plugging your PC into your TV. It would be cheaper too.

But if for some reason you are dead set on using it with Chromecast, make sure you have a powerful machine.

Mesoian

Ok, I found a solution that doesn't require a VPN or any crazy DNS switching. Just a free Chrome browser extension called Hola Unblocker. I've been using it for a couple weeks now and it works great. Here's what you have to do:

I plugged my laptop into my TV via an HDMI cable and watched some of the preseason games this past weekend. The quality was great and if you have a wireless mouse you can easily sit back on the couch and jump from game to game.

I tested it on a Chromecast and the video was basically a slideshow, my laptop was struggling to keep up. If you have a really beefy machine, it may be able to do it though. Come to think of it, I have a tricked out iMac at work, I will test it running off of there tomorrow and see if it is any better.

NBC is streaming all of the Premiere League games for free online, if you have a cable subscription. (Or you can do the HBO Go thing and borrow someone elses.)

Very interesting. I'll give this a try tomorrow night.

Bloody Brilliant! Just gave it a try and it worked swimmingly. Kodus my man.

gutshot

I get a sick feeling in my stomach everytime this thread is bumped. Please based god, let this work next month.

You mean you're worried that the NFL is going to close this loophole? It's certainly possible, although apparently it worked all of last season and has been working all of the preseason so far, so if they haven't fixed it yet, maybe they never will.

GusBus

Awesome post! Works fantastic!

Telaso

Banned
It takes forever to load the pages with Hola and then only actually loads links half the time. Is that the same for you guys?

And this is with disabling ad block and all other addons actually.

gutshot

It takes forever to load the pages with Hola and then only actually loads links half the time. Is that the same for you guys?

What pages are you trying to load with it? You should only need it once, to gain access to the stream. Once you have the stream URL, copy and paste it into a new tab and turn off Hola (i.e. turn it back to US).

winjet81

I tried this and no pop-up opens when i click on an archived game... the screen just refreshes back to the subscription screen.

gutshot

I tried this and no pop-up opens when i click on an archived game... the screen just refreshes back to the subscription screen.

Is the game you are clicking on actually airing right now? And/or do you have pop-ups blocked?

EDIT: Just noticed you said archived game, so that answers my first question. Only thing I can think of is you have pop-ups blocked.

Holy crap, if this works after week one or so, I may just cancel cable altogether.

Holy crap!!! Thanks for posting this info as it worked like a charm...Getting watch NFL Network Live right now, or any of the other previously aired games...Nice quality.

Question is: Won't they cancel this free trial stuff once the season actually starts? I mean, I know the NFL wants to break into the world market so this might be a good way.

Now I need to decide whether to cancel my Madden preorder, as this is perfect..that is, if it's actually available for the regular season.

Edit...rolled the dice and decided to cancel Madden....Plan to get it anyways on PS4, so it would have been overkill anyways..

DarkFlow

Banned
Glad I found this. I had Sunday ticket last year for free, but I dumped dtv since they jack the prices up after a bit. Got to love the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom