• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

V headphones vs Y headphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fusebox

Banned
Which do you prefer?

V cabled headphones eg iPod originals

or

Y cabled headphones eg Sony originals

After using the Sony '1 goes around the back of the neck' style headphones I could never go back to using a V style headphone if I can help it.

If you bump into a friend in the street or have to board a bus you can simply pull the headphones out and rest them on your shoulders. Also the cable naturally rests to one side of your body instead of always being in your way.

Anyway, I read heaps of people at the ipodlounge forums complaining about the Sony style cables and I was wondering if I'm the only one here who can see how much better they are.

MDR%2DQ33LPS%2Ejpg

I wear these constantly and love them. They were inexpensive, sound great, and never fall off.

From my short time with bud's I'd say: Y

Although over the ear 'phones corded at one side I feel are the best. Buds always seem to increase ear infections and what not, well for me anyway.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
metsallica said:
MDR%2DQ33LPS%2Ejpg

I wear these constantly and love them. They were inexpensive, sound great, and never fall off.

I got some of those, they are indeed great, but they get tangled pretty easily.

Fusebox

Banned
The Koss KSC-35s are the best bang-for-buck headphone available imo at only about US$35, but they don't have my preferred V style headphone cabling, only the old fashioned Y shape.

I love these cans so much for portable use that I bought 2 pairs. :p

ksc35.jpg

I love my Grado SR-60s too but there's no way in hell I'd wear them in public.

Chairman85

Fusebox said:
The Koss KSC-35s are the best bang-for-buck headphone available imo at only about US$35, but they don't have my preferred V style headphone cabling, only the old fashioned Y shape.

I love these cans so much for portable use that I bought 2 pairs. :p

ksc35.jpg

I love my Grado SR-60s too but there's no way in hell I'd wear them in public.
I have these as well. Great sounding phones, very portable, and very affordable.

GG-Duo

question...

"V" cables are the symmetric ones,

whereas

"Y" cables are the ones that look like a lowercase y?

Chrono

Banned
GG-Duo said:
question...

"V" cables are the symmetric ones,

whereas

"Y" cables are the ones that look like a lowercase y?

If the two buds come out from the left two end points of the y, then yes.

I just got the sony MDR-EX71 for my iPod and they rock (except the case -_-). At first I didn't know one of them goes behind the neck. :lol Now I can just take them off and they're on my shoulder when I'm talking to somebody. I also didn't push them all the way in and the sound was horrible. Now I can barely hear anything from the outside world when I have them on! I don't see how anybody can prefer the symmetric cables now. :p

Anyway since I didn't like the MDR-EX71s when I first got one, I searched a bit for another pair and was wondering exactly how much better do these sound?

http://reviews.cnet.com/Etymotic_ER_6_Isolator_black/4505-6468_7-30684099.html?tag=pdtl-list

^^^ video review.

B0001DW0YA.01-A2QUBZRFQD7A2Q._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

fart

Savant
the er6 will give you an actual seal, which may or may not be dangerous depending on where/how you use them. they're also more of an audiophile headphone, so they'll tend to be more balanced. if you listen to a lot of radio friendly or dance music this can cause music to subjectively sound worse because of the way that stuff tends to be mixed. it's a ymmv thing, but for the most part it should sound better.

miyuru

I've been looking at the ER-6s actually. I'd like to get some new earbuds since they don't really get in the way of things unlike a nice pair of Eggos or something, but my problem with earbuds is that they usually don't fit in my ears properly, or stay there (I really want to get a pair of Audio Technicas, but I fear the same will happen).

I'll probably get a pair of ER-6s for my MD...but then again, I don't think it'd be worth it if I'm going to listen off an MD of all things.

If you walk alot near roads etc, isolation earbuds may not be the best for you. Also depends the quality of your music, from what I gather MD's actually have a decent amp.

miyuru

Ah right on. I was actually listening to my MD today (wow go figure!) and noticed that even at LP4...the sound quality is outstanding (*for* LP4). Granted I can't tell the difference so much when I record at SP (over NetMD, so really LP2), but yeah, maybe with some ER-6's, it'll be hawt! :p

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Shure e2Cs are basically Vs, but they run up your back then loop over your ear and then in. Ear-canal 'phones so they stay in place. And there's a tie pull you erm, pull behind your neck to keep them secure. Really love these 'phones. Been meaning to get them repaired under warranty for like a month, keep on forgetting.

Been using Y EX71s meanwhile.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
metsallica said:
MDR%2DQ33LPS%2Ejpg

Ahh - good old Q33s.
They treated me well for nearly 5 years.
I've since replaced them with Q66s (coming to North America soon..).

'Y' and 'V' kinda look the same.
I just call the other ones 'behind the neck' style. And, yes, I prefer them SO much more.
Not only is the cord out of the way, but you can easily take off your earphones, rest them on your neck, and converse with people.

I hated the 'phones that came with my iPod. Whenever they popped out of my ears (often), they would hit the ground.

Diablos

I don't like the earphones you actually put inside of your freaking ear. Way too uncomfortable, not to mention all the dirt and germs you get in your ear.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Diablos said:
I don't like the earphones you actually put inside of your freaking ear. Way too uncomfortable, not to mention all the dirt and germs you get in your ear.

..not to mention the different variations of crap canalphone users use to "lube" up thier tips before inserting, which often times happens to be their own spit. ::shudders::

miyuru

God's Hand said:
Miyuru, any idea of any store in Edmonton that might sell these?

Yeah man, I found one:

www.gramophone.ca :)

They sell for $200 CDN though, so you're better off shopping online. If you're interested in trying the ER-6i's you can though you'll have to pay $2 to buy your own canal inserts or whatever (obviously they don't really have a universal display model for health reasons).

miyuru

Jesus Carbomb said:
..not to mention the different variations of crap canalphone users use to "lube" up thier tips before inserting, which often times happens to be their own spit. ::shudders::

Yeah, I've heard that they sound much better when lubed since you get a better seal...

Sounds like too much effort and a little gross from your description.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom