• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria: Azure Revolution - New enemy character, Yasunori Mitsuda composing music

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
One of my favorite composers is replaced my my favorite of all time.

I would be more excited if I knew he was handling the whole OST rather than having his "team" make up a majority of the work. Yasunori Mitsuda still has it, but his team is nowhere on his level.

Golnei

Saying Mitsuda is past his prime is really discrediting the soundtrack of Soul Sacrifice a lot. He was not the only composer, but nearly half or more of the 32 songs are by Mitsuda including the following.
Soul Sacrifice's soundtrack was great, but you can't discount Wataru Hokoyama's orchestration or original pieces, either. The production was a major factor in elevating that over his recent work; moreso than the writing itself.

Sarah Lim = Sarah Alainn. After Xenoblade, some of their collaberations on her second album, and her vocal tracks on the Chrono album, I think we can expect something great.

I thought Beyond the Sky was kind of awful, but I really liked her work on the recent Chrono album as well. More in that vein would absolutely be welcome.

This, xenosaga 1 had terrible musical direction and the only memorable track being the final boss theme. After such amazing OSTs from Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, and Xenogears, Mitsuda's touch has been lost

The music he made for Xenoblade, Kid Icarus Uprising, and cover album of the Chrono games are very good, he's still got it.

cireza

I largely prefer Sakimoto for VC. I think he fits a lot better the theme of the game, and his recent works have been good, as always, while I don't think we can say the same about Mitsuda's works.

So how many tracks do you guys think Mitsuda will compose? One, two?

Maybe if we're lucky he will do 3 songs. I wonder who the other composers are.

Reveirg

I wonder if it's really going to be him composing most of the soundtrack this time around, or if most of the work will be done by his employees.

It's been a while since we've had a full, lengthy soundtrack by Mitsuda himself.

wmlk

He only composed one track for Xenoblade and it was the ending song. It sucked imo. :(

Thank you, it did suck.

The Chrono arrange album was something else, but I actually haven't heard anything great from him that's an original composition for a long time now.

Who composed the start screen for Xenoblade? That song was friggin awesome.

Edit: Yoko Shimamura. Man I totally thought that was a Mitsuda track :p

anaron

This, xenosaga 1 had terrible musical direction and the only memorable track being the final boss theme. After such amazing OSTs from Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, and Xenogears, Mitsuda's touch has been lost
wrong on so many levels beyond comprehension

Ep.1's score is a masterpiece

mrmickfran

At this point, when someone says Mitsuda does the OST, expect him to have composed like 1-3 songs while someone else composes the rest.

Even in Kid Icarus, he only composed 3 songs, yet I always see him credited as the main composer.

wrong on so many levels beyond comprehension

Ep.1's score is a masterpiece
Agreed.

Omega

Gnosis

Just to name a few.

Other than Halo and SOTC, no other soundtrack that generation had such ambitious and awe-inspiring composition. The score itself wasn't utilized as well in-game as it could've been, but that's not a knock on Mitsuda.

Ep. 2/3 soundtracks were utterly blah. Parasite Eve 1 credits aside, I never got the Shimomura love.

mieumieu

This is terrible news. I won't play the game then. Mitsudas latest work is all boring to my ears. I was especially angry at the fact that soul sacrifice has so many amateurish and poorly crafted tracks by him. His work just doesn't mesh well with wataru hokoyama beautiful and masterfully created tracks.

mieumieu

Agreed.

Omega

Gnosis

Just to name a few.

Other than Halo and SOTC, no other soundtrack that generation had such ambitious and awe-inspiring composition. The score itself wasn't utilized as well in-game as it could've been, but that's not a knock on Mitsuda.

Ep. 2/3 soundtracks were utterly blah. Parasite Eve 1 credits aside, I never got the Shimomura love.
Ep2/3 was composed by yuki Kajiura not shimomura though.

mieumieu

Whoops, had a mix-up.

Not a fan of either.

Kajiura is vastly overrated back where I am from. She has no real skills as a composer and rely on one trick.

Much like sawano imo

shimomura is much better than these guys and gals. She's got both technique and emotions nailed.

Soriku

giphy.gif

Beautiful theme.

mugwhump

Mitsuda best years have passed, so I'm kinda meh about this news.

Well his output isn't what it once was. Is he actually going to write the whole OST? What's the last game he did that for?

Edit: seems he did a fair amount of work for soul sacrifice

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This is terrible news. I won't play the game then. Mitsudas latest work is all boring to my ears. I was especially angry at the fact that soul sacrifice has so many amateurish and poorly crafted tracks by him. His work just doesn't mesh well with wataru hokoyama beautiful and masterfully created tracks.

Your boycotting a game because of the soundtrack, without even seeing anything of it? Oh boy...

I can't wait to see some Japanese footage and impressions of the demo, i liked what i saw of the trailer significantly so

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I've been longing for more Valkyria, but Mitsuda is definitely helping seal the deal.

Reveirg

Kajiura is vastly overrated back where I am from. She has no real skills as a composer and rely on one trick.

Much like sawano imo

Couldn't disagree more.

Sure, they're not the most versatile composers out there, but both can write great melodies, make solid arrangements and handle a decent variety of genres with success.

.hack//SIGN, Xenosaga II, Xenoblade X and Guilty Crown, among countless others, all had stellar soundtracks.

HGH

Banned
Anyone understand that combat description? It's like... VC1 combat, except you get close and it turns into Lightning Returns' combat?

Dunno if they released a soundtrack yet. That's usually the only way to know for sure.
Company's dead so I don't think we'll ever find out.

Reveirg

Anyone understand that combat description? It's like... VC1 combat, except you get close and it turns into Lightning Returns' combat?

Sega finished and released it, and Procyon Studio could decide to publish the soundtrack.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Oh man... the only thing that could make me happy about losing Sakimoto is getting Mitsuda instead. They're both top 5 composers.

duckroll

Guh, one of the heartaches of a company folding before soundtrack is released.

edit: And beaten. HEH.

What do you mean? Imageepoch is dead but the game is published by Sega right? Presumably they have the music distribution rights too? Unless they don't want to release a soundtrack...

Falk

that puzzling face
What do you mean? Imageepoch is dead but the game is published by Sega right? Presumably they have the music distribution rights too? Unless they don't want to release a soundtrack...

From what I understand (and don't quote me on this) it was a limited territory thing, i.e. publishing rights, rather than full IP rights, which essentially translates into limbo.

Top Bottom