• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Revolution |OT| Azure Arbitrators

Nyoro SF

3tjhEfa.png

REQUEST: I ask that you do not devolve this thread into whining about Sega, whining about how this game is not a Chronicles game (something it was never claimed to be), complaining that Sega didn't make a Chronicles game, begging for HD remakes of VC2 and VC3, or posting assumed woe-is-us fantasies about how the Valkyria series is "dead" or "finished".

PLATFORMS:
PS4
PS Vita (Digital Only)
Xbox One

RELEASE DATE:
June 27th, 2017

STORY:
The recent discovery of the power of ragnite and ragnite magic has ignited a technological revolution across the continent. As a result of the tumultous times, Jutland Kingdom came under an economic blockade from the mighty Ruzi Empire, starving their ragnite supply and limiting their ragnite research potential. The Circle of Five take advantage of the Empire's aggression and lead Jutland into war against the Empire. However, the Five are aiming for a secret, secondary goal... to find out the location of Miss Maria, and to seek revenge against those who dared to abduct her years ago.

Included with their revenge plans is to eliminate all of the Empire's main enemy commanders who orchestrated the burning down of the orphanage that was their home many years ago while pretending to be focusing solely on the war against the Empire. The question the game puts forth is whether the Sinners were heroes who saved Jutland, or manipulators that steered Jutland into bloody war for personal gain.

GAMEPLAY:
ARPG. You can take a squad up to four members onto the battlefield. Attack button does an autocombo. You have a roll and a guard button. The menu button, which will be signature to the gameplay, is a "timestop" mechanic where you can choose many actions while time is frozen, such as throw grenades, fire your rifle, use an item, use magic, or give your teammate a direct order.

This game has character leveling and magic upgrading. Each character has a magic-type affinity, meaning that you'll get bonuses for using the proper elemental magic with certain characters. This game contains a central hub in Jutland where you can buy and upgrade magic, purchase equipment, work with materials, and more. In addition to the hub it also has a magic factory, command center and graveyard you can visit.

The potential system makes a return in this game. If you fulfill certain field conditions, such as having certain teammates nearby, characters will activate their potential, which can affect them in positive and negative ways. It's best to keep in mind each character's negative potentials before assigning them on a mission.

DLC SCHEDULE:
Sega is releasing free DLC in weekly sets (typical marketing technique to keep interest in the game up over time). I highly recommend using this Gematsu link to keep track of everything, since it's very neatly organized here in tables.

QUICK CHARACTER REFERENCE IMAGES:
In the event you need to look up the names of characters, this will serve as a nice reference sheet. The characters are ordered like this: Circle of Five, Royals, Vanargard, Villains.

SCREENSHOTS:

FAQ:
Q: Reviews?
A: You can read the Import OT for comments from people who bought the Japanese game.

Q: I love my Vita more than I love my family and peanut butter. Should I buy this game to support the Vita?
A: Vita diehards should purchase Tokyo Xanadu, coming out on June 30th.

Q: What relation does this game have to Valkyria Chronicles?
A: Very little outside of the name. There's a few hallmarks like some of the visual styling, ragnite medicine, and a few of the guns used, but how each game plays and their storytelling style are completely different. Also, the games are set in separate universes and do not share any story elements or characters.

Q: So why did Sega make an action RPG rather than a strategy RPG?
A: Please read these two interview threads. The creators wanted to create something brand new, and they wanted to make a big, new expanded world with a continuous timeline.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1270939
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1277368

Q: Dual audio?
A: Yes.

Q: Wait! Wasn't this game called "Azure Revolution"?
A: That was our translation of the Japanese title. Sega America/Atlus dropped the "Azure". Personally, I recommend using whichever title you like.

Q: The music in this game is very good! Who is the composer?
A: Yasunori Mitsuda, who many people know as the composer of Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross.

Q: Wait a minute! Where is the PC version of the game?
A: Some questions are better off unanswered. In the meanwhile go ahead and buy Valkyria Chronicles on Steam here.

Damn the notice. Ppl are still derailing this poor game with that stuff been doing it since announcement let it go.

Sticking around for impressions. I was never any good at Valkyrie chronicles so wanna know what's different here maybe I can do better

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Debated getting this at launch being only $40 + the launch edition, but I recall the import impressions were rather negative (looking through the thread now & I seem to remember correctly).

....I'm starting to realize why Sega decided to not localize the demo that Japan got...

You know, this game really does interest me even if the production values are rather iffy. It's also on XB1, too, so I am considering on picking it up just to support SEGA here.

I think I'll buy it tonight. Thanks for the write up!

Pantz

What's not to love?

RcNzHGy.png

I'm enjoying it so far. Every screenshot looks like something you could frame for your wall. Love the character designs and hairstyles. Combat is awesome and I like the long cutscenes myself.

Q: I love my Vita more than I love my family and peanut butter. Should I buy this game to support the Vita?
A: Vita diehards should purchase Tokyo Xanadu, coming out on June 30th.

The OP has my full approval. Tokyo Xanadu is my most hyped Vita title and you should all pick it up this week.

I'm picking this up on Vita too.

Ryuukan

got this a day early and man what a mistake

I'm not a fan of the original VC games so I thought this might be fun but its just very awkward to play. Its like they put musou and Tales in a blender and made a game from the crap left at the bottom.

Even on PS4 pro, its not a looker either plus all the girls look like they've been hit with snapchat eye filters

I would avoid this unless you have a soft spot for poor effort budget Japanese games

EmiPrime

What's not to love?

RcNzHGy.png

I'm enjoying it so far. Every screenshot looks like something you could frame for your wall. Love the character designs and hairstyles. Combat is awesome and I like the long cutscenes myself.

I guess if you like soulless and slightly creepy doll faces.

Ooccoo

why can't devs use this artstyle for a game like PSO? Give us loot, semi-randomized maps (variations), many types of monsters, etc.

I feel like there's a huge, untapped market for such a game. I'd take this engine because it's perfect visually, and use it to create something much more interesting than blazing through enemy units without consideration for combat positions.

SephLuis

Yeesh, I tried to like Star Ocean 5 but after a certain point it was just too poor to continue. This is really worse?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=241893387&postcount=213

I haven't played SO5 and not certain if I ever will.

I am liking Revolution battle system, but it's certainly unique. I think the game needed some adjustments, especially towards difficulty because it's too easy, to be a great battle system.

You can simply hack and slash every enemy that appears before you, but that isn't the most efficient way of playing. If you use your skills, guns and grenades correctly you can turn the tide of battle to your favor in a much, much faster way and this is what's been making the game more fun to me.

EmiPrime

Wow, alright then. Care to elaborate why? I believe you, I'm just curious.

It's just really boring. There are way too many cut-scenes and they are horribly dragged out and cheaply done. Gameplay, map design and AI is dumber than a bag of rocks.

With that I will stop posting in this OT. VC1 is a top 10 RPG of all time, just play that again.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Yeesh, I tried to like Star Ocean 5 but after a certain point it was just too poor to continue. This is really worse?

Unfortunately. I gave it the benefit of a doubt before the Japanese launch, i tried to wait to see if they would surprise us and was not on the "its not Valkyria Chronicles so it sucks" train.

No dice.

This game was savaged by JP players. From the demo I played awhile back, which is the actual opening of the game, it's pretty objectively terrible. Good luck to anyone who buys this!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The cutscenes drag on way too long and are paced very akwardly, the combat is not anywhere near as strategic as VC(i know) the visuals are vita level(don't even ask how bad the vita version plays and looks), and the characters being unable to emote properly is very distracting and creepy, no matter what they are doing they look ahead with the same blank stare, even through gigantic monologues about different things when they are supposed to be feeling emotions, which takes away from an investment in anything.

And that's not getting into how overwrought the actual story is.

zenspider

Great looking OT! Shame about the warning, but I guess this game is ripe for some drive-by shitposting.

My shipment from Amazon is arriving on Wedensday - be back with/for impressions then!

Luminaire

I'll give it a whirl. Just need it to actually be in stock. Forgot to order it on Amazon for some reason. (I blame Stormblood hype.)

Gah, I didn't read anything about this except that it was not the same type of game as VC. I ordered it from Best Buy when Amazon no longer had the Vanguard Edition (looks like they have it again). Picking it up tomorrow and will try to be optimistic.

CazTGG

So, is this game worthy or not? I read mixed reactions from it

Review embargo ends June 27th, 12:00 A.M. I'm reviewing it on my channel so i'll give some brief thoughts here while I edit it in the hopes of having it up on Wednesday/Thurdsay.

Giolon

LOL review embargo is launch day. Not a good sign (as if the Japanese impressions weren't already iffy).

Well, I didn't cancel my pre-order so it's arriving tomorrow. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it myself, even if it ends up not being great.

Tohsaka

My copy will be here today, hopefully I'll get at least some enjoyment out of it. I might put it on hold either way on Friday until all the DLC is out though, since I'll have Tokyo Xanadu coming.

Top Bottom