• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Baha

The medals make more sense for trophies imo. I'm 2 medals away from 100% and they actually feel like something worth accomplishing (with the exception of 3 which you get anyway playing the story). Anybody here got 100% yet?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Firestorm said:
I like having a few achievements just for finishing the game or getting to a certain point. With the time I have, finishing games is an achievement. Vesperia gives it to you at very specific parts of the game. End of Act 1. End of Act 2. End of Act 3. And they aren't for beating a boss. It's just that a boss fight always coincides with the end of the act.

Or are you talking about a different achievement? Put it in spoiler tags or just link me to your gamertag =P

Sorry, my 360 is offline.

No gamertag for me.

hwateber

I don't think trophies/achievements should be given for natural progression through the game. A great platinum trophy in this game would have been beating all the missions/skirmishes in one turn.

MattNY

I am finally getting to play this gem and love it thus far. However, to show how much I apparently suck at it, I died on the second battle. :(

Baha said:
Anybody here got 100% yet?
Yeah, I got 100% back in January, at the end of my third playthrough. Golden Arms of Gallia was my last medal obtained, as I always played for the quickest route, not necessarily the most enemies killed.

hwateber said:
A great platinum trophy in this game would have been beating all the missions/skirmishes in one turn.
Which would also be unattainable, given the structure of certain missions. However, I think some good (hypothetical) gold trophies would be to 1-turn certain "difficult" missions or skirmishes.

Haunted

Hcoregamer00 said:
Beating a boss as part of the story is not worthy of an "achievement."

You HAVE to beat it.
What's 'worthy' of an achievement is highly subjective.

I'm torn between just giving them away to everyone who plays the game (move your player, beat level 1, defeat one enemy etc) and making them as tedious and hard as possible (beat the game 3 times, beat the game without getting hurt once, collect every weapon in the game) so everyone who cares about them is pissed off.

Yeah, I'm an ass.

Seriously though, there's nothing wrong with a healthy mix. Some SP, some MP, some easy (getting them while progressing through the game), some hard (tedious cumulative shit), some rewarded when doing specific things at specific points in the game.... Variety is best, imo.

Sad that VC doesn't have trophies, though. They could have used those as reward for the stupid speed-running ranking system instead of the amount of experience. :/

Durante

Haunted said:
Seriously though, there's nothing wrong with a healthy mix. Some SP, some MP, some easy (getting them while progressing through the game), some hard (tedious cumulative shit), some rewarded when doing specific things at specific points in the game.... Variety is best, imo.
I agree with this. For long single-player games like this having about half of the achievements/trophies for progression/completion and the other half for special feats (preferably real goals, not grinding) seems perfect to me.

Perhaps I'm late to ask this, but when does the anime start? I beat the game a week or so ago, and it was great. I don't think I'm going to be going through for a new game+, but I'll probably get the DLC when it comes out. I just don't have the time to invest in mastering games anymore :\

Defuser

The anime website is updated with Isara,Selvaria and Maximilian.
2z6xkiq.png

Victrix

*beard*
I stole my friends PS3 and finally had a chance to play the demo

Some quick thoughts

The presentation is mind blowing. Mind blowing. My mind, it is blown. Seriously, the technical proficiency on display, the cleanliness of the UI and the stunning artistic style. Beautiful, beautiful game.

The gameplay feels extremely solid, just from one demo level. The thought of many battles and unit customization and upgrading makes me drool.

Tanks! :D

The music is absolutely wonderful. Between the flowery euro-fantasy intro text and the music, you could have fooled me into believing I was playing a new FFT (then I saw the music was done by Sakimoto, should have known :p)

On the down side

The character designs and the feel of the voice acting is completely repugnant to me :( (see post above for more in the Do Not Want camp)

Somewhere between size 37 gears of war boots and this is a happy medium.

This game is another tipping the scales to push me to buy a PS3, if the full version maintains this level of quality... yeesh. I can overlook the wretched character stylings (and the plot? good, bad?) if the gameplay and presentation stay that good.

Really impressed. Someone should have dragged me into this thread kicking and screaming months ago!

gokieks

The full version offers the ability to use original Japanese voices, though the text is based on the English voices rather than the Japanese (so it's a dubtitle instead of subtitle).

Snaku

Banned
D:

My Uncle put on a movie while I was in the shower, and I come out to find my Valkyria Chronicles disc face down in a pile of dust on the entertainment center. I blew off what I could, but there's still some on it, and a giant ass finger print. I keep my discs in immaculate condition, and to have one of my favorites tarnished like this...

I know it's dumb, but I'm mad.

Durante

Metalic Sand said:
Selvaria looks alittle off. Atleast somethings are right :lol
Isara is also quite off IMHO. And I don't just mean the (understandable) simplification that is normal for anime adaptations. But I never expected much from the anime.

Defuser said:
The anime website is updated with Isara,Selvaria and Maximilian.

Man... Isara looks TOTALLY messed up. Her eyes are too big, too sharp, and she has make-up on. She needs to look more like Shinobu from Love Hina.

shinobu01_01.jpg

Selveria on the other hand, is a little off, but still much more accurate. Now I kinda want to watch the anime.

Koren

Baha said:
Anybody here got 100% yet?
Not yet, but I could get it anytime (missing only the broken thing medal).

I'm much more interested in reducing the number of turns on a couple of missions (I'm probably at minimum for 95% of them).

And i REALLY need the DLC.

bounchfx

just got to the *real* game yesterday

headquarters and stuff, now I can level up and upgrade

it's SO freaking good. everything about the game is just awesome.
my only real complaint is how enemies keep shooting you after you've done your move, but that's nit picking, I guess.

Yazuka

Yeah, I was hoping to find some info on when they would release the DLC here, but nothing.
Come on Sega release it. I want to play as Selvaria!

Hcoregamer00

Yazuka said:
Yeah, I was hoping to find some info on when they would release the DLC here, but nothing.
Come on Sega release it. I want to play as Selvaria!

"Yo Sega, get the DLC online so you can have my money"
1227405411329.jpg

Victrix said:
The character designs and the feel of the voice acting is completely repugnant to me :( (see post above for more in the Do Not Want camp)

Somewhere between size 37 gears of war boots and this is a happy medium.

This game is another tipping the scales to push me to buy a PS3, if the full version maintains this level of quality... yeesh. I can overlook the wretched character stylings (and the plot? good, bad?) if the gameplay and presentation stay that good.

Really impressed. Someone should have dragged me into this thread kicking and screaming months ago!

do it! i wasnt a fan of pointy-chin anime either, but im easier to impress with good gameplay and music anyway. you could always switch to japanese voice acting if you prefer, thats what i did.

this game was one of my best experiences on HD EQ yet.

AKS

Victrix said:

Maintains the demo's level of quality? The full game far exceeds it. I really enjoyed playing the skirmish from the demo, but I had no idea how well the rest of the game had come together. It's a fantastic game with a surprising amount of depth and features. There is a reason why so many in this thread have marveled at how this game continues to become more intriguing the further you advance into the game. It's in my top 5 for 2008 without question.

BTW, I immediately changed the audio to the Japanese track with subtitles. I didn't care for the dubbing.

Gagaman

"so we're going to adapt this game into an anime. It has a sweet ghibli like look to it already so I presume we'll just stick to tha.."

"No. make it more generic. Bigger eyes! Less expression in the characters faces!"

"and what about the canvas look..?"

"No. Needs to look like everything else. Make it all perfect and digital and shiny. No unique qualities!"

Dyne

Holy crap, this thread is still going.

And I'm still playing the game. :D

It makes me kind of sad that I haven't finished Skies of Arcadia Legends yet.. hmmm. I better get on that.

Dave1988

the TMO said:
where can i buy the Manga and the Anime?
This game is so full of awesome.

The anime(h) isn't out yet. The manga from what I've seen isn't even worth buying. Just keep your money for the coming DLC.

Torquill

gokieks said:
The full version offers the ability to use original Japanese voices, though the text is based on the English voices rather than the Japanese (so it's a dubtitle instead of subtitle).
Of course the text is based on the English voices, think that through...

Localization vs. Strict Translation

Hcoregamer00

the TMO said:
where can i buy the Manga and the Anime?
This game is so full of awesome.

The Manga is crap, don't even bother. You would think that a videogame with the manga artstyle would transition easily to manga, but apparently it isn't.

The anime character designs are shit.

Anime
hrltox.jpg

-vs-

Videogame
949755f9.jpg

The Videogame version of Selvaria is superior.

Hcoregamer00 said:
The Manga is crap, don't even bother. You would think that a videogame with the manga artstyle would transition easily to manga, but apparently it isn't.

The anime character designs are shit.

Anime
http://i43.tinypic.com/hrltox.jpg[MG]

-vs-

Videogame
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/Hcoregamer00/949755f9.jpg[MG]

The Videogame version of Selvaria is superior.[/QUOTE]
At least they got her boob size right.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Hellsing321 said:
At least they got her boob size right.

But of course in a shameless display of spin Hcoregamer00 used a picture that cuts Selvaria off at the clavicles so that the credulous reader is left unaware of the oft-maligned anime producers' mammarian accomplishment. Tsk tsk. Credit where credit is due if you please, sir.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Making it look like a Ghibli production ala the game itself would require actual money to be spent on the project.

Or hiring Ghibli.

I'll still watch it though.

dralla

I want a super hard mode in DLC for maxed out stats, I know they have that for the skirmishes but I want it for the compaign too.

Hcoregamer00

RurouniZel said:
Making it look like a Ghibli production ala the game itself would require actual money to be spent on the project.

Or hiring Ghibli.

I'll still watch it though.

I guess I was spoiled by the Tales of the Abyss anime, because it was a game to anime transition that had great character designs and high production values.

Boy is the anime going to suck since it seems to be missing the amazing musical score and the great character designs. Hopefully it doesn't fall in other aspects like storyline, pacing, production values, characterization, and many other things.

Who am I kidding, it will suck ass. Hopefully it doesn't scare people away from the amazing game.

ianp622

It seems to me like it would be less time and effort to simply do the anime using the cutscene renderer. The models and textures are already there, you just need to do animation and lip syncing.

Hcoregamer00

ianp622 said:
It seems to me like it would be less time and effort to simply do the anime using the cutscene renderer. The models and textures are already there, you just need to do animation and lip syncing.

That is impossible, since Sega owns the engine and everything that comes with it.

The best they could have hoped for was an anime with an extremely high budget (like Tales of the Abyss).

ianp622

Hcoregamer00 said:
That is impossible, since Sega owns the engine and everything that comes with it.

The best they could have hoped for was an anime with an extremely high budget (like Tales of the Abyss).

Oh, I thought this was being done by SEGA, or at least someone close enough to them to use the assets.

gokieks

It's being made by A-1, which is part of Aniplex, which is part of Sony.

Seriously, anyone who was expecting the anime to mimic the watercolor-esque look of the game either don't know much about anime production or was delusional - there is just no way they would be able to justify the costs of producing something like that for a non-established IP like VC, especially if it's going to be a series and not an OVA/movie.

androvsky

Hcoregamer00 said:
Nope, not even close.

There is a reason why the anime designs are so crappy.

The funny thing is the anime Selveria looks much closer to your avatar pic than it does the cutscene you posted; virtually the same pose and everything. It's really not that bad.

Besides, making the anime using the game engine would be a) obscenely expensive, essentially tying up a game studio to make a TV series instead of a game, and b) off-putting to anime audiences accustomed to 2D hand-drawn animation.

In other words, save your undiluted hate for everything that isn't the game... you'll need it when we find out how they've screwed up the story. Trust me, I'm a Sakura Taisen fan. I know how these things work.

Edit:
Seriously, anyone who was expecting the anime to mimic the watercolor-esque look of the game either don't know much about anime production or was delusional - there is just no way they would be able to justify the costs of producing something like that for a non-established IP like VC, especially if it's going to be a series and not an OVA/movie.

The only anime I can think of with such a look is My Neighbors the Yamadas, probably Studio Ghibli's greatest commericial failure. I think Gonzo can do some pretty good CG work, they might have been able to pull it off... before they cut 87% of their staff.

Top Bottom