• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve: 35 million active Steam users, Source is "about to get even better", and more

What I find veeeeeeeery intriguing is that they posit Steam as a "Social Entertainment Platform" and openly state that they aren't just a game company any longer, but "a full-spectrum entertainment studio". And they're looking for "industrial design" and "User Experience Designer" as well as a bunch of Steam-related backend folks.

"Full-spectrum" would also indicate, you know.

Hardware.

Possibly the kind that could interact with a television.

Hmmmmmmm.

Note that this is all pure, raw conjecture and I have no insider information at all. I just find it very, very interesting.

Blackace said:
Steam and their region locks can eat a d$&)

To be fair, some of the "region locking" is there for reasons of actual business: for example, any copy of Recettear or Chantelise in Japan results in the money going straight to EasyGameStation. We at Carpe Fulgur don't see a red cent of it. That's something we helped to set up so that there wouldn't be the somewhat absurd situation of our releases competing with that of our own business partners.

I'm actually still a big proponent of "No Oceans" release dates when it comes to digital releases, but regional separation is about more than just "fuck these guys in this specific country" and can involve legitimate Business™.

Top Bottom