• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve announces Steam Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Presco

Looks weird but I assumed there had to be something different about this controller. What's the point of another standard twin stick controller? Can't see giving up kb & m precision for this but keeping an open mind for a future comfy couch setup.

FranXico

Heck, the fact that it has an actual touch screen rather than just a touch pad is a big advantage over the DS4.

The more I think of it, the more I am convinced that this is the first proper next-gen controller.

I have found my future PC controller.

Geedorah

Can honestly say, not at all interested unless there are sticks. Don't care how accurate or tactile the touch-pads are - I don't see myself migrating to a stick-less future anytime soon.

sub_o

It seems okay, or maybe great for shooters.

But I wonder if it's suited for say, fighting game ? Or do we still have to get fighting sticks ?

What about DmC / Revengeance type of games ?

This is really interesting, I really wanna try it out.

kewlmyc

controller.jpg

Looks pretty ugly honestly.

marrec

Banned
The inherent controller design hasn't changed much since the DS1 and I'm VERY glad to see someone trying to innovate.

Will try.

SuperHans

Wow so many people writing it just based on an image. Hold off your pessimism at least until we get some hands on feedback on the device.

The features of this controller are quite amazing. I'm pretty sure thumb sticks will be a thing of the past of this proves successful.

Hybrid897

Can't wait to try it out.

Good to see they're not just iterating on current controllers, as games specifically requiring mouse and keyboard would never work on them.

xtop

well that is certainly not what i expected from their controller. need to hear some hands on feedback asap

This haptic capability provides a vital channel of information to the player - delivering in-game information about speed, boundaries, thresholds, textures, action confirmations, or any other events about which game designers want players to be aware. It is a higher-bandwidth haptic information channel than exists in any other consumer product that we know of. As a parlour trick they can even play audio waveforms and function as speakers.

The analog stick is a...speaker? you wot gabe

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Looks interesting, impossible to judge it from some pictures, but I'm sure that won't stop people.

Randdalf

Can honestly say, not at all interested unless there are sticks. Don't care how accurate or tactile the touch-pads are - I don't see myself migrating to a stick-less future anytime soon.

There's a section on haptics that talks about how they replicate the feel of thumbsticks.

Looks like hot garbage so ill continue to dualshock 3 till DS4 comes out. Hope that news of DS4 being windows compatible from the start turns out true.

kami_sama

I don't know if I like the design D:
Either way, the face button placement irks me.
And no d-pad? Most of the games need it, which buttons they'll use?
But using trackpads is genius. Can work as an almost-perfect emulated mouse and as a stick.

JordanKZ

Personally, I think this looks super interesting. Controller designs have basically stagnated this generation with slight improvements over the previous ones. Yes, it has a completely radical design and quite frankly, a pair of hands around it would have helped... But yeah, I'm interested.

Talyn

Now I finally understand the reaction some people had to the revealing of the Wiimote. WTF Valve, just...WTF. I use a trackball with my laptop, that works, this thing...I don't even know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom