• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve announces Steam Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It looks rancid and the button placement is truly crazy.

But if Valve thinks it works then it probably does.

_Ryo_

Who needs sticks when you have haptics? Couldn't you create "virtual" analog sticks? I mean, it seems irrelevant to me.

jordisok

Looks crazy/interesting. Don't understand the surprise over no sticks, we already have those + d-pads, this I more exciting.

weird that people are complaining about it not having sticks.. the touch stuff could easily replace sticks... What im really worried about is the buttons... no easy button placement like every other controller. This looks like something made for the future generation used to touchscreens. I need my buttons for the feeling of 'activating' something.

my first reaction was : wtf lmao.. but im kinda curious to hold it though, looks comfy somehow

Ricky 7

I wonder if I can play Street Fighter with this? Looks good for shooters though, glad this console is trying to be different. It has me interested.

Vesper73

Unsure-Larry-David.gif

lol!

rtcn63

Could be useful as a secondary controller for games with non-native controller support. I.e. Bioshock 2 and most older titles.

Axial

At first I was like "eeew, touchpads", but when I read into the details it looks like they're using pressure sensitive haptic technology feedback, enabling how hard you press on a flat surface to affect the response. I'm ok with that.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The best test run would be to try it out on TF2. You have multiple classes, multiple control speeds and methods, as well as trying to kill people precisely by aiming. If what Valve says is true, and it's likely to be, using this thing as a Scout is going to be nothing short of amazing.

I'm hopeful that this thing is going to replace the 360 controller I have, but I doubt it will make me shelve my USB-Dual Shock 2 purely for d-pad purposes.

I think it will be a great controller for first/third-person games, but for every other type of game, a more "classic" gamepad layout will be better.

I'm not against innovation but this gamepad has its mind set on the future, not the present or past. It will be great on some current games and from hereon out for most 3D games, but I have a feeling a lot of people are going to keep at least one other type of controller around.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
For anything that isn't a dual analog shooter this thing looks awful. For anything with dual analog based movement it's actually pretty solid looking.

U-R

In this thread: people complaining Valve didn't just repaint the xbox controller black, so it could continue to suck at FPS and RTS like every other controller out there.

likeGdid

looks better than twinsticks for fps's. probably better than ir aiming with the wiimote

I wonder if the track pad could be used as as psuedo face buttons depending on where your thumb placed when you push the trackpad?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This will be either incredibly good or bad.

I wonder how you could play FIFA with it though, I'm afraid.

EVH

The whole screen itself is also clickable, like a large single button. So actions are not invoked by a simple touch, they instead require a click. This allows a player to touch the screen, browse available actions, and only then commit to the one they want. Players can swipe through pages of actions in games where that’s appropriate. When programmed by game developers using our API, the touch screen can work as a scrolling menu, a radial dial, provide secondary info like a map or use other custom input modes we haven’t thought of yet.

This sounds amazing to me.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Very interesting. IMO, they should have done it with stick on the left, and trackpad on the right. Stick is better for simulating WASD than a trackpad. I can see it it bing hard to play something like Braid of Fez on this, or at least harder than with a stick.

Love the mid-screen thing, and love even more the overlay thing on the TV screen when touching the middle panel. Sony should make sure PS4 has something like that implemented in games that use trackpad.

SparkTR

If the haptics work like they say I'd get one. Traditional dual analogue controllers were never going to work for PC-focused genres, it's been proven over and over. Something like this needed to happen.

Ooh, I really want to try it! I'll definitely be picking one of these up once the final versions start selling if the response seems to be good. I trust Valve enough to deliver a worthy product.

Shahadan

Is anyone actually reading the link before posting or just looking at the picture?

Just curious because it doesn't seem so.

Anyway colour me curious. If it is really much closer to K&M precision than sticks I'm in. Looks pretty well thought out to me including the buttons but it seems everyone is trying to compare it to current gamepads without reading the detail to understand what's actually behind the design.

Reminds me of "so it's a tv remote? LOL"

Brera

Banned
So basically we get to use a control pad to play the games but have all the accessibility and freedom of using a touch screen type control scheme of the iPhone/iPad?

marrec

Banned
Why do people want Valve to build another console controller?

Sony and Microsoft have that covered.

This is something entirely different that may be kind of awesome.

Naminator

Banned
That fucking thing looks weird, and awesome, and awkward, and genius, and ridiculous, and amazing, and I sooo want that!

All praise our Lord and Savior, Gaben!

Amen.

Its meant to work with all current, legacy, and future games as long as they have m/kb controls.
That is the key to the design.

False, see above.

Actually, better yet, go read the article. There are several points that are in direct opposition to your opinion.

The Steam Controller is designed to work with all the games on Steam

Where does it say that I can use it with anything outside Steam?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Sounds amazing.

Sure it looks radically different than what we are used to, but that's the point.

If it ends up being better and more precise than a traditional gamepad, than that is fantastic.

Nzyme32

beauty is on the inside ladies and gentlemen. I am certain that if valve have faith in it and have come up with something unique like this, it will have had a lot of love and attention put into it. I guess we'll have to wait and see reaction vids as with the oculus to know for sure though

antibolo

Banned
I'm open to the idea that circular concave touchpads can be a superior alternative to analog sticks. I think it could work, and be awesome.

HOWEVER, there's no way they can also replace a d-pad. This controller is going to suck for any game designed around d-pad usage.

This controller feels like it was designed by someone who only plays first person shooters.

I'm not convinced.

Would need to try it out to see how it feels in practice, but I don't see it being as functional as a more conventional twin stick in a lot of situations. It may be better suited for some games, though in those cases KB/M would probably be more efficient.

It's certainly intriguing one way or the other though.

Chris R

Well again, I don't think Valve would even bother showing this if it was garbage. I'm guessing that it will work very well for some games, but I'm still wondering how they plan on implementing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom