• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve battles review-bombers by introducing review histograms

UrbanRats

Basically ->

Valve's idea is far from a solution and it still does not provide any resistance against the fascist mob that has grown in gaming culture.
I don't see the connection between death threats and review bombing (maybe i missed the joke).

Death threats are just never justified, so it's easier to argue ways to curb them.

Review bombing is, at its core, a bunch of people deciding to review a product all at once, because of X reason.

X reason may be shitty (like in the relevant example in the OP) but it may not be (bad DRM for example).
Not to mention that outside factors are fair game when reviewing a product (Hatred wouldn't have been as controversial, if it wasn't for the developer's political history) and it's fair to warn other users about said factors.

at that point it'd stand to Valve to judge on a case by case basis, which is, i assume, what many are asking, but it's certainly a hell of a lot more complicated than dealing with Death Threats, that have basically no room for a gray area.

KonradLaw

Seems like best solution possible.
Review bombing is abusing the system, but it's also important tool in consumer's arsenal. So letting this happen while at the same time allowing consumers to easily spot it seems like ultimatelly the best solution. Especially since Steam is so big and robust that review bombs usually fail to change the overall rating anyway and I enjoy Valve's hands-off aproach, ultimatelly letting communities sort it all out.

Now we just need the reviewers hardware.

Tired of seeing "shit game doesnt work" without any context.

I wanna see the what hardware they are using!

Ionic

I wouldn't mind this. It'd be cool if they leveraged those hardware surveys they do for a reason like this. When you post a review it could ask if you want to post your hardware and will show you what it believes you're using so you can confirm. It'd be even better if I could search reviews by pieces of hardware (does this game work well on my GTX 970?). The more info out there the better.

What fascist mob are people talking about when they're acting like review bombing is this massive problem? People upset about shitty unfulfilling endings to a trilogy of games that were all about meaningful choice? People upset about awful, buggy, unfinished games and a lack of updates to fix those bugs and finish those games? People upset about DRM? People upset about ridiculous microtransactions? People upset about a certain publisher targeting a modding community that has supported their series for more than 15 years? People upset about their favorite video game company not making video games anymore? People upset about false DMCA claims against video content nearly two years after the video went live (and before I get called out for it, I condemn PDP's infamous streaming moment)?

If the publishers weren't greedy shitheads that are completely disconnected from their customers, maybe people wouldn't have to resort to reviewing these games negatively but it's common sentiment that there's no point in complaining and to either review the game negatively or send a strongly worded email using the contact form on their website (which probably goes straight to some receptionist's spam folder) and reviewing negatively seems to get results. It's not ideal but it's the situation they've put themselves in.

What I'm curious about - does review bombing occur so frequently that you need an automated system to handle it? I mean, we see when it occurs and to what games, large or small, do we actually need some type of automation to curb it's effects or can a human being simply watchdog suspicious activity?

Also, how about issuing temp bans on accounts that purposefully review bomb (out of spite) and flat out permaban vitriolic accounts that spew hate speech and (in the case of Campo Santo) that directly call out developers for what they do and even use racist language in their reviews and forum posts.

I would venture a guess the cunts that participate would think twice after seeing waves of bans handed out for this type of behavior and would (maybe, possibly) curb this type of behaviour at least somewhat if they see that Valve will actively stomp this by being proactive instead of passive.

I don't see every case of review bombing but surely they have metrics to view it's frequency. We generally only hear about the high-profile cases and if we multiply that number by 10, it's still not a large number of cases to warrant being "hands off", IMO.

KonradLaw

Interest in game. Google that game. Look up on gaf. Look up on YouTube. Draw conclusions.

t.
This might work for SP games, but it's pretty useless advice for a lot of multiplayer games, especially if they're early access ones. This is where Steam users reviews are really usefull

I wouldn't mind this. It'd be cool if they leveraged those hardware surveys they do for a reason like this. When you post a review it could ask if you want to post your hardware and will show you what it believes you're using so you can confirm. It'd be even better if I could search reviews by pieces of hardware (does this game work well on my GTX 970?). The more info out there the better.

There's even space on the left under their username on the reviews.

And i agree, sounds perfect if you can even search by your graphics card.

MikeBison

This might work for SP games, but it's pretty useless advice for a lot of multiplayer games, especially if they're early access ones. This is where Steam users reviews are really usefull

I just don't see the difference. The day that PUBG came out, could pop onto Twitch, Youtube, Gaf and see videos, streams, impressions etc.

Better than 1/10 looks like shit lol or 10/10 there's a frying pan lol

patapuf

What I'm curious about - does review bombing occur so frequently that you need an automated system to handle it? I mean, we see when it occurs and to what games, large or small, do we actually need some type of automation to curb it's effects or can a human being simply watchdog suspicious activity?

Also, how about issuing temp bans on accounts that purposefully review bomb (out of spite) and flat out permaban vitriolic accounts that spew hate speech and (in the case of Campo Santo) that directly call out developers for what they do and even use racist language in their reviews and forum posts.

I would venture a guess the cunts that participate would think twice after seeing waves of bans handed out for this type of behavior and would (maybe, possibly) curb this type of behaviour at least somewhat if they see that Valve will actively stomp this by being proactive instead of passive.

I don't see every case of review bombing but surely they have metrics to view it's frequency. We generally only hear about the high-profile cases and if we multiply that number by 10, it's still not a large number of cases to warrant being "hands off", IMO.

This is not just to adress review bombing.

This is a reaction to games as a service bein a reality (much like their "recent" bracket) and to illustrate changes over time.

As for the banning, a lot of the accounts doing review bombing are already throwaway accounts without any inventory. Banning them would amount to little as people know not to use their "real" account. They could still remove offensive reviews though. Theres not much worth in reviews full of insults and rascist slurs.

UrbanRats

I like this idea.
Although software configuration is a big factor, that would at least be better than nothing.

This is not just to adress review bombing.

This is a reaction to games as a service bein a reality (much like their "recent" bracket) and to illustrate changes over time.

As for the banning, a lot of the accounts doing review bombing are already throwaway accounts without any inventory. Banning them would amount to little as people know not to use their "real" account. They could still remove offensive reviews though. Theres not much worth in reviews full of insults and rascist slurs.
I'm talking about obvious misuse, hence the "out of spite" comment.

As far as alt accounts, IPs coupled with PC hardware specs are identifiers. This is nothing new.

City 17

Metacritic is better than user reviews, but it only shows what the critics think, not what the players think.
Even not getting into the many problems with Metacritic's structure, it covers like what, %20 of the games released on Steam? Maybe less. And it's simply outdated for many multiplayer/games as a service/early access titles or even single player games with lots of post lunch support as it can't reflect the current state of a particular game. Meanwhile Steam's new histogram -although not without problems- offers much more than what the likes of Metacritic can ever do.

dr_rus

Unless this will be filled by every user manually (which in turn means that anyone will be able to write anything there), showing this data will probably break Valve's privacy statement.

genuine question: are gamer's opinion on whether to buy a game or not off steam changed by steam reviews? I think most of us already have an idea of the game, and if we want opinions we go to regular games news website right?

patapuf

genuine question: are gamer's opinion on whether to buy a game or not off steam changed by steam reviews? I think most of us already have an idea of the game, and if we want opinions we go to regular games news website right?

for less known games? absolutely. Not as a definitive "must buy" but as an attention grabber. There are plenty of decently written reviews too, if you want details.

"regular" games news are pretty bad with more niche genre and titles, if they cover them at all.

Eolz

If the reviews are genuine and good enough (aka not the joke ones, or "0/10 COULDN'T RUN" or similar one liners), then yeah, user reviews can absolutely help solidify or change an opinion about a game.
Review bombing doesn't change much outside of visibility and reputation for the dev though, it doesn't change people buying/playing a game that was already popular (Dota2, firewatch, football manager, etc).

Ionic

Though some people are resigned to the idea that anything on Steam that isn't AAA or a well-known indie is probably shovelware, there really are many hundreds of great games that simply don't get picked up by traditional reviewers. A good example is the amazingly bizarre RPG Hylics with zero scores on metacritic, but nearly 200 opinions cataloged on Steam. There are many other games like this where the Steam store page pretty much is the only hub for information on a game.

If the reviews are genuine and good enough (aka not the joke ones, or "0/10 COULDN'T RUN" or similar one liners), then yeah, user reviews can absolutely help solidify or change an opinion about a game.
Review bombing doesn't change much outside of visibility and reputation for the dev though, it doesn't change people buying/playing a game that was already popular (Dota2, firewatch, football manager, etc).

Though some people are resigned to the idea that anything on Steam that isn't AAA or a well-known indie is probably shovelware, there really are many hundreds of great games that simply don't get picked up by traditional reviewers. A good example is the amazingly bizarre RPG Hylics with zero scores on metacritic, but nearly 200 opinions cataloged on Steam. There are many other games like this where the Steam store page pretty much is the only hub for information on a game.

makes sense, I forgot about those indies. for AAA games should not be a major problem

There are a lot of bad reviews on Steam though. Chinese e.g. give a thumbs down because a game isnt in Chinese. I saw some Germans doing it too.

Then for some taiwanese, Chinese and Korean games I saw reviews on the storepage that were like "I thought its a japanese game, but they talk in Korean or Chinese. Shitty knockoff!"

Ionic

There are a lot of bad reviews on Steam though. Chinese e.g. give a thumbs down because a game isnt in Chinese. I saw some Germans doing it too.

Then for some taiwanese, Chinese and Korean games I saw reviews on the storepage that were like "I thought its a japanese game, but they talk in Korean or Chinese. Shitty knockoff!"

It would be pretty interesting if you could see review scores by region then. Like, click a button that opens a map with countries color coded by opinion percentage. Would be pretty funny to see a game with overall negative reviews and look at the map to find the entire world except China enjoy it.

I don't often read reviews, but a low average review rating on the steam storepage generally serves as a red flag to many issues even if they don't personally affect me or if I agree with them. Like the steam page of FFXIV has a low review rating due to their pricing changes in non north american regions, or Blacklight Retribution has a low score after a shoddy transition from being a PC game to a PC port and having development stop shortly after.

Ash735

Now THAT is a massive middle finger to the review-bombers, literally making their efforts irrelevant. Good.
Actually isn't this helping for legit reasons to signify when a choice is made people don't like they can pin point when the review bombing started in line with announcements?

OmegaDL50

This is a nice tool to have, especially since it might visualize when a game slipped up. Games are ever evolving nowadays and it'd be interesting to see how something like Star Wars Galaxies would look before and after the NGE (probably the most controversial update to a game of all time) if we had this back then...

Ultimately I don't see why people using reviews to express their distaste with a publisher/developer's action is wrong. I reviewed GTA5 negatively when Take Two was sending private investigators to the homes of modders. I've reviewed games negatively for their draconian DRM measures. Sure, it's open to brigading but overall, consumers should have the right to negatively review a game as a result of technical issues, whether or not they liked the game or even issues surrounding the title (DMCA nonsense included).

The thing is in the case for Review bombers. You need to own a game on Steam before being allowed to review it. Which means people were buying the game leaving their negative review without actually playing the game, then taking advantage of Steam's refund policy.

Something completely different than performance issues. Hell the point of a review is to judge the merits of the product itself to educate other buyers if the game may align to their tastes in the type of game they may like to play. Not to be used as a platform to lambast the dev or publishers for something that has nothing to with the quality of the game eschewing the reason for giving a review in the first place.

If reviews repeatedly state a same problem ("combat is horrible and unresponsive" for example) I will take into consideration if that problem is a deal breaker or not. User reviews have more weight for me if I'm looking at a game with conflicting reviews overall (critics, friends etc).

For some games I never even look at user reviews, because I already decided to buy it. Any souls-like of "From Software" is an example of a game that I just auto-buy without doing any research.

MUnited83

For you.
I love niche and hidden indie games. Regular games news websites are largely completely and utterly useless in that regard.

The thing is in the case for Review bombers. You need to own a game on Steam before being allowed to review it. Which means people were buying the game leaving their negative review without actually playing the game, then taking advantage of Steam's refund policy.

Something completely different than performance issues. Hell the point of a review is to judge the merits of the product itself to educate other buyers if the game may align to their tastes in the type of game they may like to play. Not to be used as a platform to lambast the dev or publishers for something that has nothing to with the quality of the game eschewing the reason for giving a review in the first place.

This right here, especially in the cases where people are buying, then refunding later just to submit a negative review.

Hektor

Review bombs are an issue that in its entirety is blown out of proportion here on GAF by console gamers whose knowledge about the steam store is all second hand gained through Jim Sterling's low effort rant videos.

If you actually look at the numbers, those supposedly review bombed games show an irrelevant impact at worst save for one exception.

Firewatch, currently review bombed because of the PEWDIEPIEEEEEEE DMCA sits at 83% positive all time reviews. The game has had 28.000 reviews, 2.300 of which were posted during the last 30 days (The DMCA thing started a lot more recent than that even).

Of those 2.300 reviews, 54% are negative, meaning around 1.200 reviews were posted to bomb it, compared to an all time number of 27.000 legitimate reviews.

If you look at the new handy graph you're going to see

yhXkh3l.png

• That the review bombing was offset entirely by people anti-review bombing it (whatever you wanna call that)
  • That every single, simple steamsale earns the game more positive reviews than this entire controversy is giving it negative reviews
  • And that the majority of the already dwindling amount of negative reviews were posted on launch day by genuine people, as that is the date most reviews are posted.

Now, let's look at another, according to the media recently review bombed game called Dota 2. The game that was - according to drive-by shitposters earlier in this thread - the reason Valve implemented the system in the first place.

As with Firewatch, the supposed review bombing took place less than 30 days ago when the HalfLife3.txt was posted on the web.

Dota 2 has had nearly 800.000(!) all time reviews, clocking in at an 88% positive review score. Of those, 21.000 were posted in the last 30 days, 46% of which were negative. Meaning of the total 800.000 reviews, only around 10.000 were review bombs, or in other words, 1.25% of all reviews.

If you look at the graph to the very right

1Pz3iNi.png

You can see that the amount of review bombs was much smaller than the amounf of positive reviews it has been getting every month systematically for over 3 years.

Another recently review bombed title - or rather titles - were games from the publisher Paradox. Paradox raised the price of their games in certain regions right before the steamsale, so discounts would appear higher than they actually are.

Let us take Crusader Kings 2 as example, tho trust me, if you look at the other games you'll see that it is in fact very representative of their other titles.

The game features 15.000 reviews, 89% of which are positive. Because the review bomb occured more than 30 days ago we can't see how the game was temporarily affected by those reviews in the "recent reviews" slot anymore. Or can we?

Cos the new Graph allows us to do exactly that! Isn't it glorious?

SujBkVn.png

As you can see, during that review bomb, the game got 400 negative reviews on the biggest day, and another 100 each on the day before and after the peak.

So a total amount of 600 Review bombs, compared to (15.000-600) 14.400 legitimate reviews.

I'm kinda curios to know what caused the big spike of 1.000 positive reviews.during november, but unfortunately the reviews don't give anything away in that regard.

Next example: Sonic Mania.

The game was delayed for two weeks on PC in order to add Denuvo DRM without communicating said inclusion of DRM to the customers. In addition, SEGA gave away free copies of Sonic CD, rendering all people ineligible to refunds that activated the free game and weren't okay with the unforetold inclusion of Denuvo.

bcjfIJu.png

It launched and it earned 500 negative reviews to 1.500 positive reviews. In other words, despite all these things and the supposed review bombing, the game has had a score of 75% positive reviews at launch.

A month later it's sitting at 79% positive reviews of 4.000 reviews total

Now to the last big example of review bombing, the one that is at odds with these other games, GTAV

Short summary: Take2 Cease and Desist Letter'd important modding communites telling them to stop. Modding communities that have been existing for years and that are really popular.

GTAV has had a total amount of 270.000 reviews, 64% of which are positive,

U3WfKfn.png

When the review bomb occured it accumulated 46.000 negative reviews and dropped from "Positive" to "mixed". It is, as such, the only example of a game that was actually impacted by such a review bomb. Funnily enough tho, it's also the only game in which the actual quality of the game (The new modding policies) was a cause of the review bomb.

So, all in all, here's my conclusion:

a) Review bombing is an issue blown out of proportion
i) The effect generally is only measurable on the "recent reviews" tab
ii) Said effect vanishes after 30 days at the latest
ii) There's only one example of a game released this year that had its permanent score drop due to review bombs (GTAV)
iii) That specific title had its actual quality at the core of the bomb and no "outside politics"

b) Review bombs are most likely not the reason this system is in place, as aforementioned, the ever changing nature of Early Access titles and games as a service is much more believable

c) People that think no one's ever going to use these graphs are already proven wrong because i just did

d) Those that think Vave did this because of Dota 2 don't know shit what they're talking about big time

e) Everyone feel free to add any example of review bombing that i might missed, tho i think this covered most of them already.

OmegaDL50

Again, do you know if this actually happened or is this just something you made up?

How many of the 1,200 people who left a negative review purchased the game, reviewed it and then instantly refunded it?

I wasn't talking about Firewatch, but how a REVIEW should work in general.

There are many games on Steam which playtime is 0.1 with reviews posted. This is something that happens in general. People leaving a review for their own personal soapbox instead of actually leaving a genuine criticism to educate others on the product itself.

I hope they will soon add more data points to steam.com/stats.

Instead of a 100-most-played-games on Steam, I want a top 100 for all genres. Top 100 most played action, adventure, rpg. And be able to see most played games by tag. So most played games with "ninjas", "story rich", "level editors", whatever.

luulubuu

My god the entitlement of some users here, so the bomb problem can be fixed within 30 days, 30 days of money loss and media coverage loss. Also, the system is new and could empower bombers to keep going.

There is not such thing as "little problems" just people who think they are "big"

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The purpose here is not to protect games or developers from review bombs or keep a lot of sudden "unfair" reviews from the store. If that's what you're looking for, it's not going to happen.

The purpose is to give better information about what is happening to the user, because Valve wins when customers have accurate information about what game purchases they would like or dislike.

There are any number of legitimate reasons for a game to get review bombed: removal of mod support, always online DRM that stops working, addition of pay-to-win DLC, a terrible balance patch for multiplayer, etc. So how do you make a decision about which review bombs are good ones and which ones aren't?

You don't. You just let the user see them and decide for themselves.

Yeah, we all agree that Pewdiepie's racist asshole fanbase being salty isn't a valid justification for a bunch of bad reviews, but in this very thread there is disagreement about whether a negative review for issues related to mod support is valid too.

Ionic

My god the entitlement of some users here, so the bomb problem can be fixed within 30 days, 30 days of money loss and media coverage loss. Also, the system is new and could empower bombers to keep going.

There is not such thing as "little problems" just people who think they are "big"

A few posts above us there is a decently thorough examination of the overall ineffectiveness of review bombs. And I'm not sure how giving users the option to identify and literally turn off review bombs is supposed to empower bombers. To be honest I'm not sure what most of this post is trying to say.

JP_

Banned
Review bombs are an issue that in its entirety is blown out of proportion here on GAF by console gamers whose knowledge about the steam store is all second hand gained through Jim Sterling's low effort rant videos.

If you actually look at the numbers, those supposedly review bombed games show an irrelevant impact at worst save for one exception.

Firewatch, currently review bombed because of the PEWDIEPIEEEEEEE DMCA sits at 83% positive all time reviews. The game has had 28.000 reviews, 2.300 of which were posted during the last 30 days (The DMCA thing started a lot more recent than that even).

Of those 2.300 reviews, 54% are negative, meaning around 1.200 reviews were posted to bomb it, compared to an all time number of 27.000 legitimate reviews.

If you look at the new handy graph you're going to see

yhXkh3l.png

• That the review bombing was offset entirely by people anti-review bombing it (whatever you wanna call that)
  • That every single, simple steamsale earns the game more positive reviews than this entire controversy is giving it negative reviews
  • And that the majority of the already dwindling amount of negative reviews were posted on launch day by genuine people, as that is the date most reviews are posted.
Uhh, firewatch was brought down to mixed. Just because they had a pretty effective counter-campaign doesn't mean it didn't do any damage. I'm not sure what you're basing this "the review bombing was offset entirely by people anti-review bombing it" claim on. The baseline is not 50/50 good/bad reviews (it had over 83% positive reviews before this).

The review bomb was effective and all it took was ~1000 reviewers to do it. I'd be curious to see how review bombs affect sales, but 30 days is not insignificant.

Hektor

Uhh, firewatch was brought down to mixed. Just because they had a pretty effective counter-campaign doesn't mean it didn't do any damage. And all it took was ~1000 reviewers to do it.

Firewatch's score wasn't brought down to mixed, recent reviews show up as mixed, those are two different things. The actual score is still sitting at "very positive"

juo6NQM.png

Perhaps the devs have better stats, but until one of them comes forward with them instead of vaguely complaining on twitter I'm not really convinced.

JP_

Banned
Firewatch's score wasn't brought down to mixed, recent reviews show up as mixed, those are two different things. The actual score is still sitting at "very positive"

"Recent" is basically the main score -- it's the one shown at the very top of their Steam store page. If someone sees a game with a positive overall score but a mixed recent score, they might assume the game changed recently and it's worse now, which could impact sales.

And if people scroll down to the review section, the negative reviews are upvoted to the top.

Hektor

"Recent" is basically the main score -- it's the one shown at the very top of their Steam store page. If someone sees a game with a positive overall score but a mixed recent score, they might assume the game changed recently and it's worse now, which could impact sales.

And if people scroll down to the review section, the negative reviews are upvoted to the top.

Half a centimetre away from the all-time review score, the one that is indicating the all-time opinion about the game.

Not sure why you'd think that this temporary, inherently very fluctuative score would be considered the "main score" when that score isn't even available for a huge amount of games.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

It's absolutely not the main score, which is why when you hover your mouse over the game listing anywhere else on the store, "Very Positive" shows up. You have to go to the store page, then it shows that recent reviews are mixed but the overall reviews are very positive. There is no way in which you can see "Mixed" without seeing "Very Positive", while the reverse is not true.

And if you scroll down to the review section, you see the histogram before you see any of the reviews.

orava

I like this feature very much. The review section became much more interesting and useful. I'm actually spending more time browsing through games.

I don't know about that. But I remember ARK being review bombed because they released an expansion into early access while the main game was in early access. It looks like the amount of negative reviews increased by about 7 times the number of the previous month. Whether or not you agree with them releasing an expansion it is pretty spiteful to write a negative review of the base game just because of that. I am sure some might want to argue over this, I just wanted to bring ARK up as an example of where review bombing probably had negative impact, for better or for worse.

I like the quip about low effort rant videos though.

Unknown?

Did you actually read the blog post, or just driveby shitpost? They explain their reasoning for not making changes to the review system itself and the tendency of review ratings over time for games that did suffer from review bombing.

People are far less interested in that and far more interested in shitposting.
Maybe Neogaf can have a timeline slider for topics so we can see when people start to shitpost?

Top Bottom