• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve developer Aaron Nicholls joins Oculus VR

IllumiNate

Once FB purchased Oculus. Valve made the decision to cancel all VR hardware R&D indefinitely. They can't really compete with both Sony and Oculus now that FB bought them out. So the talent got scooped up by FB. VR is still a major part of where steam wants to be. They will make sure Steam will be VR compatible while also selling all forms of VR content.

Opiate

I can imagine being a talented person, working at Valve and just being incredibly frustrated by the glacial pace. You could be there for 2 years and accomplish almost nothing.

Then you see a company like Oculus VR that has achieved so much in 18 months. It would absolutely be tempting to leave.

In the last three years, Valve has done the following:

Released DotA2
Released Counter Strike: Global Offensive
Released Portal 2 (just barely less than 3 years)
Announced Steam Machines with a wide array of partners and a constantly updating controller
Introduced Steam Greenlight
Made a variety of other improvements to Steam (e.g. big picture mode)
Made very significant updates to older games such as Left 4 Dead 2 and Team Fortress 2.

All with an estimated total of 330 employees. I have no idea how much you want 330 people to get done in that time frame, quickly.

RealMeat

Banned
Seems like Valve toyed with the idea of getting into hardware, then decided against it. Not too surprising that people who want to work on VR would jump to Oculus.

Maztorre

I can imagine being a talented person, working at Valve and just being incredibly frustrated by the glacial pace. You could be there for 2 years and accomplish almost nothing.

Then you see a company like Oculus VR that has achieved so much in 18 months. It would absolutely be tempting to leave.

I'm sorry but this is bullshit. If anything Valve completely outpaces any other studio of comparable size I can think of, both in terms of pace of releases (huge, themed content updates across multiple titles which often include completely new game features, alongside critically acclaimed new game releases either annually or every other year since 2004), as well as the variety of work their employees can involve themselves in (game development, OS development and collaboration with GPU vendors, literally the cutting edge of VR SDK development, massive content delivery and community infrastructure on Steam, film and animation production, user generated content and monetisation for users that is basically nonexistent at any other games company right now, game controller R&D/production/manufacture).

But yeah, tell us more about the unfulfilled achievements of frustrated Valve employees.

Freeman

Banned
"Facebook announces it has acquired Valve for 4 billion dollars"
"Gabe Newell announces his retirement"
"Valve hires Neil Druckmann former ND Creative Director"
"Steam to be fully incorporated in Facebook UI"
"HL3 released exclusively for Facebook"

Released DotA2
Announced Steam Machines with a wide array of partners and a constantly updating controller
Made very significant updates to older games such as Left 4 Dead 2 and Team Fortress 2.

All with an estimated total of 330 employees. I have no idea how much you want 330 people to get done in that time frame, quickly.

Plus....

The remote play feature
Getting Source engine to Android (Portal 1 is coming out for nVidia Shield tomorrow)

Very underrated stuff but incredibly useful and im sure it was hard as hell to get going.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Released DotA2

Also a documentary and Big Picture mode

Edit: nvm I missed the big picture mention

Opiate

As I've stated previously, I think a lot of people are really Half Life fans, and perhaps tangentially are Steam fans, but have little interest in Valve's multiplayer games or expanded focus on things like Source engine or Android support or Linux support. Further, I think a lot of gamers suffer from a narrow field of vision, where anything they don't really care about (e.g. iOS games or 3DS games) is basically invisible or does not exist.

From that particular perspective, almost everything Valve has done for the last generation (let alone last 3 years) is basically invisible.

Released DotA2

As I've stated previously, I think a lot of people are really Half Life fans, and perhaps tangentially are Steam fans, but have little interest in Valve's multiplayer games or expanded focus on things like Source engine or Android support or Linux support. Further, I think a lot of gamers suffer from a narrow field of vision, where anything they don't really care about (e.g. iOS games or 3DS games) is basically invisible or does not exist.

From that particular perspective, almost everything Valve has done for the last generation (let alone last 3 years) is basically invisible.

I definitely am not in the "they haven't done anything" crowd, but I am seriously positioned in the "they haven't done anything I want" crowd.

Basically I liked Valve because of Half Life. While I don't think their current output isn't of 'value', besides Steam Sales and using Steam as my 'PC Gaming Hub', they are a storefront and organizational software company. Not a gaming studio I am interested in.

Guevara

Released DotA2

1. One game a year on average, plus updates to older games and a nebulous console plan isn't very impressive to me, sorry. And in general the Steam Machine plan seems unfocused and poorly managed.

2. Three years is an unfair comparison. I specifically used two years since that is how long Oculus VR has been in existence (and with only 50 people), but whatever.

3. Also during this time (we can safely speculate) Valve killed their own internal VR and AR development. Now they are going to sort of partner with folks like Oculus VR, rather than lead the way.

I'm not really a fan of Valve or Oculus though. I was just explaining why an employee might be more excited to work at Oculus VR than Valve.

Opiate

1. One game a year on average, plus updates to older games and a nebulous console plan isn't very impressive to me, sorry. And in general the Steam Machine plan seems unfocused and poorly managed.

2. Three years is an unfair comparison. I specifically used two years since that is how long Oculus VR has been in existence (and with only 50 people), but whatever.

3. Also during this time (we can safely speculate) Valve killed their own internal VR and AR development. Now they are going to sort of partner with folks like Oculus VR, rather than lead the way.

I'm not really a fan of Valve or Oculus though. I was just explaining why an employee might be more excited to work at Oculus VR than Valve.

One game a year, plus supporting Steam, plus supporting older games, plus supporting source, plus starting a whole new hardware department, all with 330 people? Just for comparison, Bioware's Mass Effect team has ~250-300 people and produces a single game every two years and does nothing else.

What you're suggesting is objectively wrong unless you think no one is productive, because Valve is considerably more productive than anyone else of their size. If you compare them to any similarly sized peer (Bethesda ES team, as another example) their output is immense. The only team that even remotely compares would be Dice.

Opiate

I definitely am not in the "they haven't done anything" crowd, but I am seriously positioned in the "they haven't done anything I want" crowd.

Basically I liked Valve because of Half Life. While I don't think their current output isn't of 'value', besides Steam Sales and using Steam as my 'PC Gaming Hub', they are a storefront and organizational software company. Not a gaming studio I am interested in.

That's completely fine. I'm only frustrated when people equate "not what I'm interested in" with "doesn't exist," which is far more common than most realize and isn't specific to Valve.

In discussions about the gaming industry broadly, iOS is often conveniently forgotten, handheld games are sometimes mentioned only as an aside, and Facebook is typically not to be spoken of in polite company. I think people are often incapable of distinguishing between things they like and things that objectively matter in the industry.

Orayn

One release and plenty of added content every year is unimpressive compared to who, Gameloft?

dLMN8R

Weird how people are reading into this.

Valve has said multiple times that they don't intend to release their own VR headset. They're experimenting with VR and have deliberately shared their research with Oculus. They view it as a benefit to the entire gaming ecosystem - on which Valve will benefit because they're working to natively support VR in every way.

So when the most promising VR company in the world gets a massive influx in cash, quite obviously that's where the VR-focused people at Valve will go. Not because they're "defecting" or whatever, but because Valve's part in VR research appears to be mostly done, and now it's onto the development phase where Oculus will excel.

Top Bottom