• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve has a VR headset coming soon.

badblue

And apparently it's not an April Fool's gag either.

Unexpectedly on a Friday night, Valve has surprise launched a teaser site featuring a brand-new virtual reality headset, called the Valve Index, that appears to be a device of its own making and not one in partnership with its longtime VR partner HTC. The teaser site spotted by Ars Technica offers no information other than that the Index’s supposed release date is May 2019.
[...]As for as prior reports go, UploadVR reported last November that Valve was indeed working on its own headset with a wider, 135-degree field of view, and we also know that Valve has been working on its own set of so-called “knuckles” motion controllers that it’s been testing with developers for quite some time. But Valve layoffs earlier this month complicated speculation about a new VR device, as the company reportedly slashed its VR hardware division, according to a Reddit leaker who a year earlier posted photos of a prototype headset that could very well have been an in-progress Index.
Regardless, it’s clear now the headset does exist. We’ll hopefully get some additional information ahead of the May 2019 target, which may just be a reveal event window and not at all related to the launch. Valve will be entering a crowded marketplace, with Oculus planning to launch both its standalone Quest and Rift S headsets this spring and HTC having just launched its enterprise product, the Focus Plus, and gearing up to launch its new Vive Cosmos headset some time this year or next.

When we asked Valve if it could offer any additional hints — or clarify if this was simply an early April Fools' joke — Valve's Doug Lombardi only replied "Not April."
Verge Article

Valve Index store page

Destrutoid chimes in with the ever present HL3 rumor "The longstanding wild rumor is that Half-Life 3 will be a VR experience to help sell Valve's future vision of VR (but not necessarily at launch). "

Last edited:
I'm just here waiting for a Netflix VR headset where you can be inside every scene of a movie and just focus on whatever you want.

And apparently it's not an April Fool's gag either.

Verge Article

Valve Index store page

Destrutoid chimes in with the ever present HL3 rumor "The longstanding wild rumor is that Half-Life 3 will be a VR experience to help sell Valve's future vision of VR (but not necessarily at launch). "
I'm sure HL3 would be a VR game if it ever gets made, but the rumors all suggest that the now well-known Half Life title in development is a prequel to 2.

They're trolling at this point. No one wants another VR.
No one wanted games with 3D graphics either. Or analog sticks. Or smartphones. Or computers. Or cars. Or planes.

Just because most people haven't adopted a technology in, lets see... generation 1? does not mean that people won't want it as it progresses over the years.

The concept of VR is something that people always dream of, so it's pretty clear that given enough development, people will be on board.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

They had the Steam Link and the Steam Controller and now the Steam VR. I wonder how that will turn out.

angelic

Banned
No one wanted games with 3D graphics either. Or analog sticks. Or smartphones. Or computers. Or cars. Or planes.

Just because most people haven't adopted a technology in, lets see... generation 1? does not mean that people won't want it as it progresses over the years.

The concept of VR is something that people always dream of, so it's pretty clear that given enough development, people will be on board.

giphy.webp

Did you even read what i wrote? I said ANOTHER vr. We don't need another.

giphy.webp

Did you even read what i wrote? I said ANOTHER vr. We don't need another.
That could be interpreted in more than one way.

We actually do. HTC are an incompetent company that overprices their hardware. Valve would be far better at supplying the market with their headset.

Quite a lot of people who were on the fence about Rift S are waiting to see if the Valve HMD lives up to the rumors. I know plenty of people that will jump onboard with a relatively nice resolution bump and wider field of view, complete with Knuckles controllers.

Valve have been spending years building 3 VR games to coincide with their hardware and make full use of it, just like Nintendo does. This is exactly what VR needs right now. Some good hardware paired with hopefully killer software.

Last edited:

scalman

we do need VR just we do need them to evolve faster . if only 2-3 headsest will be one market they will be cost a lot but if they make them more and better then they will go cheap and become better product which we need
i would jump on to VR games movies anything if it would be good enough to not see pixels . so it needs to advance more. and nothing else can give you sense like VR , nothing else out there. people who never tried it never understand it or who cant use them

Last edited:

Romulus

Then valve aren't the only ones trolling. Lots more headsets are coming this and next year.

VR isn't going anywhere. It won't take over gaming but expect to see alot of games you want to play that are only available on headsets in the next few years.

angelic

Banned
Then valve aren't the only ones trolling. Lots more headsets are coming this and next year.

VR isn't going anywhere. It won't take over gaming but expect to see alot of games you want to play that are only available on headsets in the next few years.

Its niche, even psvr only sold 4m. Personally ill wait til its fully wireless.

FutureMD

Have you seen the oculus subreddit? Everyone was dissapointed with the sidegrade, this headset could finally be a gen 2 headset. As Oculus races to the bottom, we still need players in the enthusiast grade to promote innovation.
As well, they're coming with the knuckles controllers which will no doubt be fantastic especially with Boneworks and the VR games that valve has been working on. Just cause you don't want it doesn't mean everyone doesnt.

Romulus

Its niche, even psvr only sold 4m. Personally ill wait til its fully wireless.

4.2 mil in 2.5 years when almost no one has tried it is impressive. I've demoed mine to hundreds and even this year its shocking how many people still haven't even tried. It's also crazy how strong peoples opinion is on VR before even trying it.

Last edited:

angelic

Banned
Ok ill rephrase. The vr market has plenty of options, valve should make games and stop fannying on with vanity projects.

Ok ill rephrase. The vr market has plenty of options, valve should make games and stop fannying on with vanity projects.
You clearly fail to understand the importance of developing software that takes advantage of hardware. This is how Nintendo is able to make such high quality games, because they are specifically tuned to the capabilities of that device.

If Valve are developing Knuckles controllers, you can bet their games are going to have complex hand interactions. Everyone knows that games natively supporting hardware is better than the alternative.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Romulus

its dead. even kinect managed to sell 25million. its as dead as 3D gaming.

A graph comparing kinect and VR tells the tale. Kinect fell off a cliff in months, VR has been steadily uphill, growing for years. Also kinect was also cheaper, and pack in. Where are all the different kinect iterations? Even when it was popular, no one copied it because it sucked and consumers stopped buying it immediately despite the intial hype surge. VR isn't dying, its growing slowly.
VR is surrounded by big players too, headsets are coming from everywhere. The tech has a super high ceiling, it's only going to get cheaper and much better, fast.

Last edited:

angelic

Banned
Not really, people under 20 dont give a shit about half life. They're too busy playing fortnite and reassigning genders.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Valve: maybe we should enter the VR wars.

You don’t have a bonafide VR headset yet imo yes Vive is extremely good and that’s what Valve is up against, next thing you know this could be the one thing to propel Half Life 3 into gamers hands

I hope we see that too, But I seriously doubt it. It would be a way to blow up the internet though.
It would be really dumb of Valve to open preorders without the main reason to buy the headset for those that haven't bought into VR yet. Just hope they aren't that dumb.

Not really, people under 20 dont give a shit about half life. They're too busy playing fortnite and reassigning genders.
Half Life 3's story reveal was a pretty big deal on the day it happened. It got attention everywhere.

Last edited:

angelic

Banned
You mean Episode 3, it wasnt HL3. Only the sad old gamers of the world care about it now, Valve blew it.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I searched but that thread didn't come up. I even looked back over the past 8 pages thinking that someone must have posted it and still didn't see it.

Sorry if I seem rough it wasn't my intention, this (with the search not working) happened to me before

Romulus

It would be really dumb of Valve to open preorders without the main reason to buy the headset for those that haven't bought into VR yet. Just hope they aren't that dumb.

Half Life 3's story reveal was a pretty big deal on the day it happened. It got attention everywhere.

I just don't see it happening. It makes business sense of course and I hope you're right.

baphomet

Valve: maybe we should enter the VR wars.

You don’t have a bonafide VR headset yet imo yes Vive is extremely good and that’s what Valve is up against, next thing you know this could be the one thing to propel Half Life 3 into gamers hands

You do realize Valve developed the Vive right?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Show me a game that isn't hot gahbidge and I will be interested. And not for some damn $400 either...I pay those kinda prices for consoles, not peripherals.

Honestly, I don't know much about VR games, but besides RE7 I just don't know if it's had it's killer app yet. Make me believe.

Show me a game that isn't hot gahbidge and I will be interested. And not for some damn $400 either...I pay those kinda prices for consoles, not peripherals.

Honestly, I don't know much about VR games, but besides RE7 I just don't know if it's had it's killer app yet. Make me believe.
Astro Bot, Lone Echo / Echo VR, Moss, Beat Saber, Vox Machinae, Alien Isolation, Hellblade, Wipeout, Firewall Zero Hour, Robo Recall, and Budget Cuts are all really great games. You have a 2018 GOTY contender in there too.

Tethered VR headsets are effectively a console as much as they peripherals. You get a whole new platform to play on with a whole library of games that you can't play elsewhere. It's the same mentality aside from requiring a PC if we're talking PC headsets.

Wonko_C

I've never been about this weird idea of "killer apps" nor I really think RE7 is the be-all, end-all of VR games. At least on PSVR I've been more amazed by titles such as Wipeout Omega Collection, Astro Bot, Tetris Effect, Super Hot VR, Beat Saber, Moss, Firewall, Knockout League, Blasters of the Universe, Farpoint, Raw Data, Ace Combat 7 VR missions, etc.

RE7 looks amazing in VR no doubt, but it's one of the less VR-feeling games out there: Since you can't use the moves or Aim Controller you don't have your hands in VR, nor it has interesting VR-only mechanics like Moss or Astrobot.

Last edited:
It's cool and all, but what's the point? Unless they release a VR headset that is both cheap and improvement from current existing ones, I just don't see it selling much. Oculus and Vive both can already do the same thing and people wouldn't just buy another VR headset unless they are a real enthusiast.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Astro Bot, Lone Echo / Echo VR, Moss, Beat Saber, Vox Machinae, Alien Isolation, Hellblade, Wipeout, Firewall Zero Hour, Robo Recall, and Budget Cuts are all really great games. You have a 2018 GOTY contender in there too.

Tethered VR headsets are effectively a console as much as they peripherals. You get a whole new platform to play on with a whole library of games that you can't play elsewhere. It's the same mentality aside from requiring a PC if we're talking PC headsets.

I'd buy a PC headset if it were less than 400 dollars. Price for entry is still a bit too high for me. I'm familiar with beatsaver which looks pretty cool. I suck at rhythm games though. Sony is less but I feel like in order to do VR properly, I'd need a pro. I already got an X this gen. I'm getting a pro and then a VR on top of that unless there are games I simply must play. There have been few games that have done that this gen. Bloodborne, Phantim Dust are the only ones that come to mind right now...though prior the releases I imagine I felt this way about a lot of games. Sadly, I dont feel this way about any VR game currently.

baphomet

It's cool and all, but what's the point? Unless they release a VR headset that is both cheap and improvement from current existing ones, I just don't see it selling much. Oculus and Vive both can already do the same thing and people wouldn't just buy another VR headset unless they are a real enthusiast.

Because why buy a PS4 when you have a PS3 right?

Top Bottom