• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve on the things coming to TF2, next update

https://youtu.be/fmo2JUbpf_Y

New info from the video:

The next update is going to be one of the biggest ones ever.

The contracts will have a lot more player choice, players choose the type of contracts they do and the rewards they try to achieve. They call it "Choose your own adventure" internally.

The Pyro class pack will likely have weapons for the pyro that changes the class in some way and has a new gameplay twist.

There will be broad game balancing work, based on comp player feedback. Looking at high level for balance.

It sounds like the Jungle update will be part of the Pyro update.

It will also include community maps and cosmetics

Competitive will have an ELO system and placement matches.

They're working on a 4-5 minute video for the Pyro update similar to the Meet the Team videos.

Valve happened to be working on the Jungle theme update at the same time as the Mayann update.

https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1549175&p=51802883&viewfull=1#post51802883

Edit:
One thing you may want to add to that summary ashecitism is that the Jungle theme will be used for a new Valve made map. I didn't include it when I made that summary because that thread is for hardcore TF2 fans and Valve had already announced they were making the map on the blog so everyone there was aware of it however many people reading this thread probably aren't aware of the map.

The next video that Valve News Network is going to post is the CSGO team talking about gambling, that video is going to be very interesting.

BigEmil

Lol who plays this when the superior Overwatch is out?
Heck even the other F2P Paladins is better than Team Fortress 2 also.

Yarbskoo

More contracts? Eww. Would rather just have the gift drop system back.

Also, one of the biggest updates ever but you know Asteroid's still not gonna be finished.

Nope. Nope.

cyba89

So thanks to their games as a service model we will never get sequels again?
I feel like TF2 is such a clusterfuck at the moment with all the stuff they added over the years. I would rather play a full sequel that has a clear focus again.

MaKTaiL

Console release when? Valve is missing massive money for not releasing it. I used to play a lot back then but now I'm focused on consoles and I really miss it.

BigEmil

Console release when? Valve is missing massive money for not releasing it. I used to play a lot back then but now I'm focused on consoles and I really miss it.
They released it for Xbox 360 but then Valve quickly abandoned it

AJ_Wings

I haven't played TF2 in a few years but I still think about reinstalling it when I play Overwatch.

Heck, I already got bored of Overwatch. Lol

I criticise the shit out of the TF2 team and their handling of the game but it's still my go to MP game years later.

Lister

Banned

I don't think they care. Pc hat money >>>>>>>>>>> console money.

Nzyme32

The port was never made by Valve directly though. That's why it never got any updates. Portal 2 was the only fully supported game they released.

The ports for almost all their console efforts were done by Valve except for the Orange Box on PS3 and the older games like HL on PS2 by Gearbox. Updates are not on the consoles due to the delay of cert process and a lack of ability consoles have for marketplace, workshop, at the time not allowing F2P or free dlc updates etc. Even Portal 2 didn't get all the content in the end, so I'm not sure about "fully supported"

Tregard

Soothsayer
Yeah, as much as I loved TF2 I'd argue it's now got too much stuff going on to be enjoyable anymore. Overwatch really sort of ate it's lunch, although I may go back and give it a go, see how things have changed recently. I'd be down to a TF3.

Yarbskoo

Yeah, as much as I loved TF2 I'd argue it's now got too much stuff going on to be enjoyable anymore. Overwatch really sort of ate it's lunch, although I may go back and give it a go, see how things have changed recently. I'd be down to a TF3.

That lunch was so old I'm surprised there was anything left for Overwatch to eat.

Fancolors

Why TF2 was never popular as an esport?

No promotion from Valve and competition for attention from other MP shooters in the market.

Competitive TF2 wasn't born from Valve's designs, it came from the community. A lot of its rules are not very intuitive for casual observers (why are there only 4 classes being played? why only one demo?) and there never was an easy intuitive in-game matchmaker for these people to dip their toes into this format.

MaKTaiL

The ports for almost all their console efforts were done by Valve except for the Orange Box on PS3 and the older games like HL on PS2 by Gearbox. Updates are not on the consoles due to the delay of cert process and a lack of ability consoles have for marketplace, workshop, at the time not allowing F2P or free dlc updates etc. Even Portal 2 didn't get all the content in the end, so I'm not sure about "fully supported"
Things are different now though. A full re-release on PS4 and Xbox One would mean A LOT for them. Updates are not as slow as they used to be. Overwatch and a bunch of other games manage it just fine. Patches for FFXIV are handled simultaneously for PC and PS4. Anything is possible. It's just up to Valve taking an interest now.

I am somewhat burnt out by TF2, but "modern" team shooters don't appeal to me at all. Why are they supposed to be superior again? Timer skills abundance? Little weapon switching? Reduced gameplay customisation? I don't want that.

Vintage

I'll reinstall if it's really the biggest update and it's not just contracts stuff. I've beel playing Overwatch, but this quote about TF2:
"The most fun you can have online" - PC Gamer
is still true today.

Things are different now though. A full re-release on PS4 and Xbox One would mean A LOT for them. Updates are not as slow as they used to be. Overwatch and a bunch of other games manage it just fine. Patches for FFXIV are handled simultaneously for PC and PS4. Anything is possible. It's just up to Valve taking an interest now.

I always felt that Valve was expecting TF2 to die a long time ago, but it just doesn't. They don't want to do any big investment in the game because it "may die the next year".

Why TF2 was never popular as an esport?
Well, I'd attribute it to Valve not nurturing it. Highlander still has a following but it could have been way bigger in its prime had Valve given a shit about this competitive scene. In the Uncle Dane video, Dane says the TF2 team doesn't want to sponsor a tournament because it doesn't want to set down an official rule set for leagues to work with and mess with an established formula for no real reason. So recently, it's more a mixture of "how do we get people from casual to competitive?" And "How do we make comp accessible while not alienating those who play comp"

Can I go 16 v 16 payload in Overwatch yet? Or is it still stuck at OG Xbox live player counts?
D6l8fu1.gif

Heh heh heh.

『Inaba Resident』;230071167 said:
16 v 16 in Overwatch sounds awful.

Yeah I know they balance for low player counts but I alway prefer the spammy don't give a fuck level of counts. Was fun in UT99, CS, Natural Selection (combat <3 ), and TF2. But yeah with every class in overwatch having their own ubercharge move, it would be even more insane.

My days of leet tryharding are over (if I ever really did), just give me a nice choke point and an OG beggars bazooka!

Heh heh heh.

Yeah I know they balance for low player counts but I alway prefer the spammy don't give a fuck level of counts. Was fun in UT99, CS, Natural Selection (combat <3 ), and TF2.

My days of leet tryharding are over (if I ever really did), just give me a nice choke point and an OG beggars bazooka!

Well the server browser and additional custom game options just came out so it might be possible. Not sure if you can up the player count though.

&#12302;Inaba Resident&#12303;;230071365 said:
Well the server browser and additional custom game options just came out so it might be possible. Not sure if you can up the player count though.

That's a step in a good direction, community aspect of online shooters were the best. Find a good server and it becomes like visiting the local bar seeing the usuals etc.

Top Bottom