• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines -Lets play it again with mods!

Can you give a link to the Hi-Res texture pack? The one in the OP links to various small texture mods - do I have to download and install every single one of them?

Im not sure what texture pack he is using or where he got it from but from his screenshots it doesn't look to be any of the ones I showed (from looking at the road and sidewalk)

Just download them all separately and then they all can go togeather.

Should always play a great game you've never played over one you've played repeatedly.

There is a kind of ritualistic confort in coming back to a game you know by heart, plunging back in its mechanisms and its strange atmopshere, exploring again the same old territories :)

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
This thread is a motivator.

Purchased game immediately on steam (after finishing the first post) and started adding modifications to the game right away. But I am yet to find a high resolution HUD/UI replacement for the game, would there be any?

SweetFX preset mentioned on the primer works right of the bat too, merged it with the latest SweetFX package and enabled 'Gaussian Blur'.

Following are the current screens of the game:
pdnt.jpg

3oo6.jpg

I love this game so much. For some reason my discs don't want to install anymore though. Probably too scuffed. Either that or Windows 7 64 bit hates them (doubt it).

I bought two copies of it because I saw another with the soundtrack. Which made me get into some of the bands that did songs for it (Chiasm, Lacuna Coil, Tiamat; which led me to to other types of music over time Psy'Aviah, I: Scintilla, Aryia, Anders Manga).

I'm disappointed with the merger/acquisition of CCP with Whitewolf. There's no more fiction written, there's no games licensed out (how great would an Obsidian licensed WoD game be?), it's depressing.

The license has so much potential that's squandered.

I know WoD Online is being made, but it's taking ages. But I digress.

VtM: Bloodlines is one of my favorite games, no doubt about it. I loved Redemption also, absolutely fantastic ending.

I still love the line Christof Romuald says when he gets into the present day. It's so damn epic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=a8eiCROeO_g&t=3330

edit: Oh, any I always loved the atmosphere of this game so much, with minor things like this:

Based on the before and after of the environmental texture mod I'm really not feelin' it. It takes away most of the grungy aesthetic and makes everything really clean for some reason. I think it makes the game look worse as a result.

But regardless, I support the thread because the footer image holds true.

Mutombo

Based on the before and after of the environmental texture mod I'm really not feelin' it. It takes away most of the grungy aesthetic and makes everything really clean for some reason. I think it makes the game look worse as a result.

But regardless, I support the thread because the footer image holds true.

I agree, the texture mod mentioned in OP doesn't make it better.

I got up to the end-boss on my first and only playthrough. It was before the unofficial patches. I had to cheat my way through because the game almost became unplayable.

It was still awesome.

antonz

Such a great game. Damn shame about the studio after it came out and no chance for a follow up.

Ocean Hotel remains one of the best designed areas as far as atmosphere etc ever in gaming,

Nikodemos

Ocean Hotel remains one of the best designed areas as far as atmosphere etc ever in gaming,
The most amazing thing about that scene was that you were never in any real danger (
elevator fall,
steam and fire blasts notwithstanding) yet it still managed to create an incredibly menacing atmosphere.

Zukuu

Banned
So I downloaded sweetfx and put all the files into the vampire.exe folder. (game started normally)
Then I copied the preset from here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4426333&postcount=2788 (linked in the op) and inserted the text into the SweetFX_preset.txt. Now the game won't start anymore (it loads to black and then I'm at the desktop again, without error or anything).

What went wrong? Unofficial Patch is installed.

edit:
Got it working. Had to replace
#include "SweetFX_settings.txt"
//#include "SweetFX\Presets\Default_1.5_settings.txt"
instead of just adding after it.

Finally got this game again(lost the CD's)And now to modding. What is the first thing I should start installing before I start playing the game????

I just loaded this up again last week when I upgraded my rig (Windows 8). If you get the start up errors, run steam.exe as admin, and set vampire.exe to Windows XP (SP3) compatibility.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Never played this game but GAF brings it up ALL THE TIME.

What is it like? RPG? Third Person Shooter? Any other games to compare?

The most amazing thing about that scene was that you were never in any real danger (
elevator fall,
steam and fire blasts notwithstanding) yet it still managed to create an incredibly menacing atmosphere.
Ya, to this day it's the only game that made me scream like a little girl during that level. Probably the best recommendation I've had from GAF is to buy this game.

Here's my character, Dexter, he looks like a nerd at the moment but I went with the Toreador race and chose the Beautiful Monster class, is there a clothing shop in the Santa Monica hub area?

xBZ7esR.jpg

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Just started replaying this. Just had the urge and between Deus Ex HR and this, well Bloodlines won.

Divius

What a coincidence this got bumped, just installed it yesterday along with a bunch of patches mentioned in the OP.

Did the little questionnaire and was suggested to be Nosferatu to which a bro told me "NO NO GOD PLEASE NO you will spend the entire game hiding", so I guess I will be starting over :p

Can't wait to jump into this!

What a coincidence this got bumped, just installed it yesterday along with a bunch of patches mentioned in the OP.

Did the little questionnaire and was suggested to be Nosferatu to which a bro told me "NO NO GOD PLEASE NO you will spend the entire game hiding", so I guess I will be starting over :p

Can't wait to jump into this!

Nos was my first character and i thoroughly enjoyed the game. Nos is a bit more stealthy for sure but it's worth choosing for your second go round. Then for the third you will choose Malkavian. Go with whatever you want after those three ;)

56K warning. Incoming, 56K warning. Achtung.

Seriously, its been years since i played Vampire series. A great reason to be back. Thanks for the mod guide and reminding of this awesome game. Lovely.

milena87

Nice, I was just looking for a few mods to install before starting a new playthroug. Thanks a lot :)

I can't believe that almost 8 years passed since I last played this game!

famfrit

The truth.

Awesome game, with very good boss battle and a very rich world.

Recommended for everyone, even if you guys dislike the "vampire" concept.

Ah, and the game have a very good sense of humour. Look to the warning from the cigarrettes shop.

578939-914819_20040615_002.jpg

The truth.

Awesome game, with very good boss battle and a very rich world.

Recommended for everyone, even if you guys dislike the "vampire" concept.

Ah, and the game have a very good sense of humour. Look to the warning from the cigarrettes shop.

578939-914819_20040615_002.jpg

See, i thought the Boss was not that great. It's my one criticism of the game, the last few steps seem to lose the flexibility of solutions they had earlier on. It might have been me but i found the game just went to fisticuffs in later stages over stealth and ingenuity i had been using earlier. There again it is a boss fight so i should have expected such things. It has been a while so my memory is probably faulty but i remember being disappointed that i had to respec my Nos at that stage.

However i agree with everything else you said. The world & characters are fantastic and the game has some of the best atmosphere around. Join us.

IrishNinja

perfect halloween game! wish idve known about these mods when i finally played it last year, perfect for another character play though (prolly try the crazy one to argue with stop signs)

Herne

That's it, now I have to play it again. I think I play it at least once a year, and have done so since it's release. Amazing game - such a shame about Troika, and that nothing has been done with it since. What a waste of a great IP.

Now... to be a Toreador with celerity and blood buff or a Malkavian with glorious insanity?

Scirrocco

Those are some beautiful visuals. I have it installed on steam, but have only added the mechanical patches; now i might have to add the textures and visuals.

Whats a good build for a Toreador? I've always wanted to go through the game with high social stats so i can see hidden dialogue options, but how does that leave me for when you have to fight? I've heard they're good with firearms but shooting is generally not that good in this game, at least at low skills.

Well said about the malkavians:

Cons: Everyone thinks you're crazy. Because you are. Or maybe they are. Or maybe you all are.

cj_iwakura

As far as I remember clothing changes are tied to periodic armor upgrades but I could be wrong.

Yep. Tremere get the best stuff.

tremere.jpg

The female options are often the classiest.

Toreadors are great for gun builds. Guns aren't that bad at all, and Tories don't have a nasty discipline like Thaum or Dementation to fall back on.

Could also do phys since they have Celerity.

Tecl0n

It's been almost a year since i last played it, and now i finally got the steam version. Time for that malkavian playthrough.

Miguel81

I'm playing through this right now with just the community patch. What a great game this is, and it's still modern enough to get easily immersed in. I'm at King's Way and am going into the tunnels, wish me luck. Love the shots by the way, and will mod it after I am finished with this first playthrough(I am a male gangler).

cj_iwakura

Just for kicks, and because I love V:TM lore, fun facts.

Assamites

• There's actually two factions of Assamites; devout followers of Islam, and those who are more about the business of killing.

Brujah
  • Theo Bell, a Brujah Archon(personal servants of Justicars), survived Gehenna(or at least lasted a really damn long time) without use of his disciplines.

Gangrel
  • They left the Camarilla because the Justicar, Xaviar, was taken lightly when he reported an encounter with a monster that destroyed an entire pack of the clan's elites.
  • They don't get along with werewolves either. They just might get a headstart.
  • Beckett, the scholar, came the closest to discovering the truth behind Gehenna. Some believe he even met Caine. Bloodlines:
    (Not the delusional cabbie.)

Lasombra (Sabbat founders, not in Bloodlines)
  • Run from Madrid, Spain. Cardinal Moncada is said to have control over the abyss, itself.

Malkavians
  • A Malkavian runs Atlanta. Or did at one time.
  • The eldest is rumored to BE the network of voices that binds all Malkavians.
  • You've made a powerful enemy, sign.

Nosferatu
  • The eldest, the Nictuku, are real. They're deep beneath the sewers. And they're hungry.
  • A Nosferatu runs NYC.
  • They have assassins on par with the Assamites.

Ravnos (not in Bloodlines)
  • Their founder awoke first, and caused a nightmare storm in Calcutta that killed thousands. No two storytellers agree on how it finally died, but the most accepted theory is that it took three elite Kuei-Jin, the combined might of the Technocracy(elite mages), and satellites focusing the suns rays on it.

But, Zarathustra commanded master level Fortitude and Chimerstry; control over illusions. Consider that.

Setites (not in Bloodlines)

• The Nosferatu believe they were founded by a Nictuku, a Nosferatu elder.
    They don't like them very much.

Tremere
  • The founder diablerized a Tzimisce elder to gain power. This will eventually prove to have been a REALLY BAD IDEA.
  • There are no Tremere in the Sabbat. An elaborate ritual killed every. last. one.
  • The clan is run from Vienna.

Card Boy

Banned
I'm trying to follow the modding guide in the OP. As a complete noob how do i get SweetFX working? What do i do? Can i get a guide as if your where teaching someone that has never modded in their life (meaning easy to understand with folders to go to). I see the preset for it but what do i do with it?

edit: worked it out. It's a similar process to ENB.

Top Bottom