• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I was there. First half was ok, after that Canada gave up. Also, the streakers were fun.

Haha yeah same ! Well, I thought Canada started strong in each half of the game. Then they lose control of the game and gets dominated by Mexico by the end of each half. Streakers were definitely fun though, haha

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
So happy they finally turned on flow control for the gates at Vancouver City Centre station. No more blobs of people going in both directions, giving each other angry glares as they scramble for available gates to pass through. =p

lupin23rd

Yeah was at the game on Friday as well, would have been a much different game if we'd capitalized on the chances we had in the first half. But that's what happens when you play against a really solid team I guess.

Smiley, will give you the streaker rundown:

- one guy ran out on the field, just acting goofy and then jumped off to the sidelines where he got hauled off
- second guy ran out bottomless and ran around avoiding security, and then just as about five guys were going to grab him he leapt back INTO the stands where he was finally captured trying to make his way into the concourse - really nice jump though
- near the end of the game a bunch of guys ran out in the span of a few minutes, one guy in a Mexico jersey I think started taking selfies with the players before they carted him off, the guy that ran in after him got legit rugby tackled by I think one of the Canadian coaching staff, it was pretty fantastic

Only the one guy was even partially naked though. Do you even call them streakers if they aren't taking their clothes off?

Well now I'm searching for a place to live in Vancouver. Do you guys have any recommended websites about the process/protocols involved? I've only ever lived at the UBC dorms here and I don't want to go to a place and get scammed or something.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Well now I'm searching for a place to live in Vancouver. Do you guys have any recommended websites about the process/protocols involved? I've only ever lived at the UBC dorms here and I don't want to go to a place and get scammed or something.

Fairly straightforward

1. Search craigslist etc for place
2. Schedule viewing
3. Fill out application form/credit check
DO NOT I repeat DO NOT sign anything anywhere that requires you to put down a deposit for a credit check or the initial applications. This is NOT legal (anymore) but a lot of realtors never changes their applications. They'll basically tell you "apply and if yo get approved you HAVE to take the place or you owe us a fee". Do not do this. Only make deals with realtors that offer you to apply without deposits, they'll usually call you back within 24h and tell you whether you're approved or not - then you can go in again and sign the full paperowkr to take over the place.
4. Do move-in inspection
5. Move in!

NetMapel

Fairly straightforward

1. Search craigslist etc for place
2. Schedule viewing
3. Fill out application form/credit check
DO NOT I repeat DO NOT sign anything anywhere that requires you to put down a deposit for a credit check or the initial applications. This is NOT legal (anymore) but a lot of realtors never changes their applications. They'll basically tell you "apply and if yo get approved you HAVE to take the place or you owe us a fee". Do not do this. Only make deals with realtors that offer you to apply without deposits, they'll usually call you back within 24h and tell you whether you're approved or not - then you can go in again and sign the full paperowkr to take over the place.
4. Do move-in inspection
5. Move in!

Sounds a bit more complicated than when I was hunting to rent a place 5 years ago. Saw a Craigslists listing, applied and got an appointment, go check the place out, got a call back later that says we got the place, move in. Nothing about credit check, deposit or realtors ??? Are we turning more like London now where we need realtors to rent a place ?

Smiley90

Sounds a bit more complicated than when I was hunting to rent a place 5 years ago. Saw a Craigslists listing, applied and got an appointment, go check the place out, got a call back later that says we got the place, move in. Nothing about credit check, deposit or realtors ??? Are we turning more like London now where we need realtors to rent a place ?

You didnt have a credit check? Oo. Every place I checked out needed that. And to rent a place you dont need a realtor but the place you're renting will often be rented by a real estate agency (like Bentall etc)

Firestorm

I like http://padmapper.com a lot if you know the areas you wanna live in.
Yeah when renting out our basement we just asked for reference check to make sure they had a job like they said and paid their rent at the last place.

NetMapel

You didnt have a credit check? Oo. Every place I checked out needed that. And to rent a place you dont need a realtor but the place you're renting will often be rented by a real estate agency (like Bentall etc)

Extremely unheard of for me, I guess. I only ever rented at that one place for 5 years though so I am not very familiar with current rental situation. I saw a craigslists listing and it was from a homeowner herself so not a place managed by a rental company. I guess things could be different if the place is managed by a rental company. When I rented during my university time in Toronto, I don't remember having to go through credit checks and deposits either. It just seems like things are getting more complex now. Like firestorm said, I gave her my references and that's about it. The application form itself wasn't all that complex too. Guess I lucked out with an actual home owner instead of a rental company.

I never had a credit check when I moved into Jameson House.. /shrug

Told him where I worked and he was like "Okay that is a reputable company" and that was it :p

Peterthumpa

It could be that due to the low vacancy rate, landlords are becoming increasingly picky about who they are renting to.

Exactly.

Also, there's plenty of frauds happening now with Airbnb, I was surprised that one of the places that interested me while browsing Craigslist and that I actually visited to evaluate, was in fact a scam using a one-week rental from Airbnb as a way to fool the interested person into thinking that there's an authentic rental office behind it.

Then there was this guy, who wanted to proceed with a security deposit, and told me that there were "dozens" of people trying to rent that specific unit, but that he looked at me and felt trust that I was going to be an exceptional tenant, or some fishy shit like that. All of that just to hear about him on CBC getting arrested a few weeks later, while comfortably watching TV on my (legally rented) apartment.

Scary stuff. Make sure to watch out for potential scams like that.

Smiley90

19-year old Chinese male crashed into residential neighbourhood while going 250kmh and seriously injuring his 17-year old passenger. Then leaves the country.

(He came back later for... his citizenship ceremony. Because he had an outstanding warrant by that time though he now has his citizenship temporarily revoked LOL.)

This happened a year ago but he's now getting charged officially, hence the news (i'd assume)

what a fucking idiot though. 250kmh with a passenger, he could've killed not just his passenger and himself but also other people. It's a miracle nobody's dead. Also "19 year old Chinese male going 250kmh in Vancouver" is the most "well of course" headline ever, I'll bet money dude's also going to UBC. It doesn't say what car it was but I'll also bet it was a) expensive and b) tuned (look at the red breaks)

so fucking stupid

frontovik

Banned
What a moron. It's funny that he was due to attend the citizenship ceremony around the same time. I hope that it gets revoked him for now.

Cheerilee

It doesn't say what car it was but I'll also bet it was a) expensive and b) tuned (look at the red breaks)

BmqgYSg.jpg

Three pointed star in the middle of the rims. It used to be a Mercedes Benz.

Sorry to sound like a Vancouver Noob again, but is it normal for applications to ask for your social insurance number? I feel like it's something I shouldn't give out with leisure.

Peterthumpa

Sorry to sound like a Vancouver Noob again, but is it normal for applications to ask for your social insurance number? I feel like it's something I shouldn't give out with leisure.

It isn't abnormal, but you're not obligated to do so. It MUST be an optional thing. Your SIN should be given to your employer only, and that's it.

Cheerilee

I've seen landlords ask for it. AFAIK, your SIN number is required to do a credit check (there's apparently a "light" version that can be done without the SIN). It's also a weak point in terms of identity theft.

Tenant says "I don't know if I can trust you with my personal info." Landlord says "I don't know if I can trust you with my house." Somewhere along the scale, both of these people need to trust each other.

Refusing to provide your SIN is not a valid reason for your rental application to be denied. But "I had a gut feeling about not trusting that person" is a valid reason for rejecting an application.

As a tenant, you're going to need to win the landlord's trust somehow, either through charisma, or pity, or money, or by extending some trust of your own and opening yourself up to them.

Smiley90

Anybody else going to the videotalk/seminar with Snowden at QET today? Sooooo stoked

Tabris

Hey Vancouver GAF. I'm in town for a few days. Woo! Where's a place to buy music downtown?

Yeah, first store location can be found at the corner of Apple and iTunes, and it's called just Music. The second store location can be found at the corner of Google and Android, and it's called Play. The third store location is on Internet Street and it's called Spotify.

There used to be a fourth store location called Tidal but it got shut down after the owners went into debt for 53 million after Bill Gates wouldn't help him with his ideas.

Firestorm

Hey Vancouver GAF. I'm in town for a few days. Woo! Where's a place to buy music downtown?
I've never gone in but there's one on Hastings and Hamilton. I assume you're looking for vinyl? According to Google Maps there seem to be too more a block over

Dazzler

Anyone know why there were around 100 people lined up on Granville St at 7.30 on Saturday morning?

It was the stretch of Granville between Robson and Nelson. Only online now and couldn't find out any info on it over the weekend

Appeared to be exclusively Asian people (not that it matters really)

Smiley90

Whenever there's people lined up early it's a sale. Some kind of sale. :p

There were huge lines for Sephora at Metrotown, too.

Peterthumpa

Anyone know why there were around 100 people lined up on Granville St at 7.30 on Saturday morning?

It was the stretch of Granville between Robson and Nelson. Only online now and couldn't find out any info on it over the weekend

Appeared to be exclusively Asian people (not that it matters really)

It would sound way more strange to me if they were exclusively Canadians, haha.

Cheerilee

Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die.

The new earthquake-proof George Massey bridge is going to make a very poignant memorial after Richmond sinks into the sea.

The survival plans say you should stockpile one week's worth of food and water just in case of the disaster we're overdue for. But does Canada have any plans to rescue Vancouver within even a month of said disaster? No. So what good is one week? It's just a shiny object meant to distract us so we stop thinking about the hopelessness of it all. Out best hope is that USA is going to be a good neighbor and give us a hand after they finish rescuing Seattle.

NetMapel

I have an earthquake emergency kit, NOTHING CAN HURT ME

... Or so

I hope you live somewhere close to ground instead of high up on a condo building. My plan is to just jump out of my window, hope for a good landing and GTFO.

I also need to get an emergency kit myself... stay safe Vancouver-GAF !

Smiley90

I hope you live somewhere close to ground instead of high up on a condo building. My plan is to just jump out of my window, hope for a good landing and GTFO.

I also need to get an emergency kit myself... stay safe Vancouver-GAF !

8th floor lol

but.... I live near and work in a hospital? So at least that!

Top Bottom