• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Ben Affleck steps down as director of 'The Batman'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumley

Banned

How the fuck can there be even more bad news

is DC being run by Donald Trump? If Affleck is straight up bailing on playing Batman they just need to cancel the entire thing and start again. This is a mess.

Also, how did they fuck this all up as badly as they did when Christopher Nolan gave them the best superhero trilogy of all time? How clueless can those studio heads be to go with Zack Snyder after that, who's style represents almost the polar opposite of everything Nolan is about. Yes, I know Nolan supposedly recommended him, but that doesn't mean they had to hire him.

Well I prefer him as a director than as an actor, so that's a little disappointing. This was supposed to be the ray of hope in the DCEU. Unless they get an Oscar-caliber director in the chair for this, I'm about ready to throw in the towel on this cinematic universe.

is DC being run by Donald Trump? If Affleck is straight up bailing on playing Batman they just need to cancel the entire thing and start again. This is a mess.

Also, how did they fuck this all up as badly as they did when Christopher Nolan gave them the best superhero trilogy of all time? How clueless can those studio heads be to go with Zack Snyder after that, who's style represents almost the polar opposite of everything Nolan is about. Yes, I know Nolan supposedly recommended him, but that doesn't mean they had to hire him.

Wasn't he something like their 6th choice? I seem to remember a handful of people turning it down.

SpaceWolf

Banned
this is hilarious. flashpoint time.

Flash: Bruce! Listen to me now! It's Lois! Lois Lane! She's the key! She's the key to...something!

Bruce: ...what?

Flash: Shit mate, I don't know. I just don't know anymore. Fuck it...let's just go move to a completely different universe. You and me and Jeremy Irons. Let's pull the trigger.

Bruce: Say no more, bro. You want to take Henry Cavill and Gal Gadot with us?

(Bruce and Barry look at each other, burst out laughing)

Sölf

Seems to me he just wants to give the "acting" portion it's due diligence and doesn't want to spread himself too thin with the directorial side of things.

Might delay the filming process but it doesn't sound too bad to me.

This. I mean, I can fully understand that it would be so much more work to concentrate on actually playing Batman as well as being the director of the whole thing. If he thinks it's for the best, I trust his decision.

As much as I didn't like Man of Steel, I would have handled it even worse if you told me after I left the theater that it'd be the best live action DC film for a while

strafer

Nah, they've been signaling hesitance/reticence to move forward for awhile now. They own these characters outright, and have Harry Potter (and the already out-of-continuity Shazam) they can use to fill in these slots on the roster. They could continue to essentially Chumbucket their busted ride as it's they try driving it across the wasteland, but I don't think, if Justice League ends up at or below BvS's take, that they're going to pursue that.

Flash just got sent back for a "page-one rewrite"
Batman no longer has a director.
Man of Steel 2 doesn't even exist anymore, really.
Aquaman is supposed to somehow be DARKER than what we've already gotten, and it's supposed to start shooting this summer, after I believe having its start date pushed back once already.

The studio is probably gonna undergo a shakeup itself, and the handling of its superhero side is going to be a decent aspect of that.

Nobody's particularly happy with what's going on.

How do you know MoS 2 doesnt exist?

Flash: Bruce! Listen to me now! It's Lois! Lois Lane! She's the key! She's the key to...something!

Flash: Shit mate, I don't know. I just don't know anymore. Fuck it...let's just go move to a completely different universe. You and me and Jeremy Irons. Let's pull the trigger.

Pretty fucking much.

FeD.nL

After Justice League I really don't know if anything else is going to be produced.

Yeah they have nothing shooting right now, right?

Aquaman is supposed to start shooting in May iirc.

Now I wonder if they'll do something really weird and reboot the universe with Black Adam as the first film, like we know Dwayne Johnson had talks not too long ago and his film was supposed to be separate from the DCCU anyways.

After Justice League I really don't know if anything else is going to be produced.

That Harley film is going to be made because they know she's the last cash cow. When that bombs, the lights are being turned out. Don't have to go home but won't be able to stay here

okdakor

Fincher directing some sort of Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth Batman movie? Yeah, I'd watch that

Enough without serious / grounded / emo Batman... I'd prefer them to make a "Batman - The brave and the bold" universe. They can have Batman in each movie, they can use a lot of side characters (Shazam in a movie, Plastic Man in another...), they can have fun with the properties, go serious or crazy according to the different directors...

Nolan never handed DC a template to build an expanded universe, he just gave them a different take on Batman.

Man, DC is not looking so hot. Maybe we're just not smart enough to get their movies? Lol. BvS derailed any chance of the cinematic universe succeeding.

okdakor

So this year, DC has Wonder Woman and Justice League... competing with Guardians of the Galaxy vol.2, Spider-Man Homecoming and Thor Ragnarok.

And 2018 ? Aquaman and... Gotham city sirens ? vs Black Panther, Infinity war and Ant-Man & the Wasp...

SpaceWolf

Banned
So this year, DC has Wonder Woman and Justice League... competing with Guardians of the Galaxy vol.2, Spider-Man Homecoming and Thor Ragnarok.

And 2018 ? Aquaman and... Gotham city sirens ? vs Black Panther, Infinity war and Ant-Man & the Wasp...

In what sense are they competing?

If WB is gonna to reboot/cancel the DCEU (they are not going to), I would like to see the dark Batman movie Schumacher wanted to make after those tragedies. You know, a last "just one more try for the sake of it".

Seriously though, Batman is one of my favorite heroes, so I want them to find a good director.

tomtom94

Given that this movie was originally planned for, what, 2020 I think? And kept getting pushed forward and forward because WB were desperate for a guaranteed money-maker. Not surprised. Live By Night probably had something to do with it as well.

eizarus

Banned

Really hope that Gal Gadot shines in WW. Her "cameo" was great in BvS, but she's literally the most forgettable part of that Fast movie she was in (5?).

The situation is utterly absurd. It has already been established that there is a strong audience for these films all of which (apart possibly from MOS) have over-performed in terms of what they were frankly entitled to recover.

All they have to be able to do is produce some half decent films that loosely form a connected universe. They have at their disposal thousands of amazing comic stories on which to base screen plays as well as a strong archive legacy of animation, tv and video games. They have effectively unlimited resources and access to the finest writers, directors and actors and yet....YET.... they fail in terms of the most basic things again and again.

I will always be a DC cheerleader but I am packing my pom poms away this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom