• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Ben Affleck steps down as director of 'The Batman'

Status
Not open for further replies.

3N16MA

Banned
BvS starred two of the most iconic characters in comic history. It marketed itself using the DC trinity. It still failed to hit 900M WW and was almost matched by SS at the DOM BO.

How much more is Cyborg, Aquaman, and Flash really going to add to the bottom line? None of them elevate JL to guaranteed billion dollar status.

JL needs to be a good film. Not necessarily amazing but just a solid film with critics and audiences. Unfortunately WB has left this in the hands of Snyder who is 0/2 and looks like he could single handily bring the whole thing down.

Litan

BvS starred two of the most iconic characters in comic history. It marketed itself using the DC trinity. It still failed to hit 900M WW and was almost matched by SS at the DOM BO.

How much more is Cyborg, Aquaman, and Flash really going to add to the bottom line? None of them elevate JL to guaranteed billion dollar status.

JL needs to be a good film. Not necessarily amazing but just a solid film with critics and audiences.
It would also help if WW does really well critically and financially and makes the character someone movie-goers want to see more of.

I would love Snyder as a director only. His sense of action and visuals are ace. As a writer and overall story teller. Not so much. Snyder, Affleck, and Geoffs is pretty much a perfect dream team in my eyes.

Litan

I would love Snyder as a director only. His sense of action and visuals are ace. As a writer and overall story teller. Not so much. Snyder, Affleck, and Geoffs is pretty much a perfect dream team in my eyes.
A director is also a story-teller. A lot of directors (most, I think) don't write their own scripts.

At first I thought this was totally negative news but I can kind of get behind the idea that affleck isn't very talented in making these types of action movies. I'd rather him find a good partner (like the Apes director that was listed somewhere) where they can creatively work together with affleck controlling & penning the script.

Floex

What you want Synder to be is a cinematography, not a director.

That or he means common sense to not attach his name to the DCEU.

Lol i doubt he meant that. The tweet is pretty self aware of how awful a fit he'd be for it.

People hate these movies so much that they're willing to believe the prestige of Kevin Smith would be ruined by them.....

Anyways Matt Reeves or bust. Villeneuve and Fincher seem like pipe dream choices but I would take those too. Post Nolan I think they gotta go really ambitious with the batman director.

Litan

Especially naked...

AM I RIGHT ?
A19yssc

spookyfish

Pic in the original post. I'm legit impressed.

The idea of Affleck directing this was almost universally liked on here from what I saw

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Affleck nor of the "produced, directed by and starring" thing, but I think he's the best director DCCU has had up until this point.

Warner just didn't want have to say "From the director of Live by Night."

He said he was basically offered a Kevin Feige-like overseer position back in the late 90's by a top WB exec for a comicbook-centric division. He said we was way too intimidated at the time.

Makes sense. He was still a relatively hot director at the time (mallrats notwithstanding) and the WB execs probably saw him as the "comic book guy". He's missed his opportunity now though after a decade of flops.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Makes sense. He was still a relatively hot director at the time (mallrats notwithstanding) and the WB execs probably saw him as the "comic book guy". He's missed his opportunity now though after a decade of flops.
Lol he literally followed up the story with "Christ, as I say it out loud..."

He seems to be having fun with the CW DC stuff. His Supergirl episode was alot of fun.

LOLCats

Banned
i saw a partial interview and he was irritated with fans asking him repeatedly when the next batman would be done... definitely was writing on the wall.

shira

#1 is the most troubling. From all the rumors Ben just gambles and fuck women all day.
0701-ben-affleck-playing-blackjack-tmz-8.jpg

I mean who the hell gambles in Detroit?

Has he even spoken to Matt Damon recently

Phased

There's the theory that Thanos is going to use the Infinity Gems to resurrect Red skull, Aether, Malaketh & Ronan in Infinity War.

Seeing as the actor who played Malakith (Christopher Eccleston) has kinda said he finds the whole thing silly and the only reason he did Thor 2 was to work with the Director I doubt he's coming back.

I'm sure people would mostly go "who?.gif" when they tried to bring the character back anyways, so no real loss.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Actually bums me out. I want the Affleck who made The Town on this. He's just taken so many critic uppercuts recently.

LewieP

Seeing as the actor who played Malakith (Christopher Eccleston) has kinda said he finds the whole thing silly and the only reason he did Thor 2 was to work with the Director I doubt he's coming back.

I'm sure people would mostly go "who?.gif" when they tried to bring the character back anyways, so no real loss.

Basically agree. I'd love to get Red Skull and Ronan back though.

To be fair it was a makeup and costume heavy role, they could pretty easily get another actor to play Malakith for a cameo.

I can deal with him stepping down from the director's chair.

Honestly after the insanity that is probably the scheduling book for Infinity War, this movie was probably the most unprecedented feat in CBMs. He was trying to write, direct, produce, and fucking star in this thing.

I know that's how he's mostly done his last few movies but it's a whole different beast when the thing you're trying to do all of this for is a franchise with that much of a legacy and has all of this baggage from the recent films.

There's also the simple fact that I bet it must blow dicks being in that fucking suit all day and then having to direct while sweating your ass off. If he had managed to get it out the door and it have it be good to great he would have been a fucking LEGEND, there was just no damn way it was gonna happen lol.

All that being said he better not wuss out of staring in this at least. He's definitely a great Batman and it would be a huge shame if he never got to flex in a solo adventure mostly free of all that extended universe bullshit.

eizarus

Banned
What you want Synder to be is a cinematography, not a director.
This. I've been saying it for ages. They need people like the Russo brothers to direct their movies. Let Snyder in as a cinematographer. And keep Goyer the fuck away from the script. Dude clearly doesn't understand his characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom