• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vatra: Multiplayer Silent Hill coming to XBLA

_dementia said:
Not sure if want, but I'll keep an open mind.

Same. Silent Hill is one of my favourite series and I don't want to see needless multiplayer tacked on, but I'll wait until I hear what it is before shunning it.

SmithnCo

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
I don't necessarily dislike the idea, actually. You play Siren games from multiple people's perspectives, right? Well, imagine them all interacting in the world at once, each played by another person. Could be interesting.

If it was more story driven, and players could impact others, (for instance they could take weapons which then become unavailable to others, take keys, etc.) it could be interesting.

Killing enemies en masse with team tactics would be more like a standard zombie game than Silent Hill though, if this game happens it hopefully won't take that route.

djkimothy

nortonlaptopyy5e.gif

SmithnCo said:
Killing enemies en masse with team tactics would be more like a standard zombie game than Silent Hill though, if this game happens it hopefully won't take that route.
So, you make enemies that are extremely lethal and require the right timing, situation, and organization by the group to defeat or escape from safely. Most of the time, though, it shouldn't be a very good option to go into combat as most of the threat should be overwhelming in strength and/or numbers, even to a full group. Right now, I'm thinking back to Carpenter's Prince of Darkness, where a small group has to do things in a haphazard, but still manageable fashion in order to try and get everyone through alive. No buckets of blood and no endless clips expended, just intense situations that involve a lot of coordinated timing and visible opportunities to form small plans on the fly. The game would need a large range of very clearly-communicated animations so that players could read situations as naturally as possible, limiting the need for real-time voice chat for the duration of a given encounter.

Hilbert said:
I think a co-op survival horror game when done right could be something very special.

It has a lot of potential. Limit weapons to whatever you find or remove weapons all together and focus on teamwork to defeat or pass enemies/creatures/etc. One acts as a distraction while the other goes into X house/area/etc to find supplies or an item needed to progress.

Amy will be a good example of if it's doable, while it doesn't have proper co-op (it hasn't been mentioned yet) it relies on two characters who have to help each other by doing exactly what I mentioned above.

A good idea if done right but konami is hilariously short-sighted with these kinds of things (see: rock revolution timing and execution)

G-Fex

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WA2M7kXmHk

maybe it'll be like silent hill arcade? LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Anyways what'd be neat like let's say you and your two other friends go into the hospital or school or even better apartments. You're going down one hall then it suddenly you lose track of your friends you go back to find them but gone, friend number 2 can't see you and says he's right where you say you're standing, but you're seeing some different things then all of a sudden bam Other world time and you guys are at different locations in dark silent hill.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Speedymanic said:
It has a lot of potential. Limit weapons to whatever you find or remove weapons all together and focus on teamwork to defeat or pass enemies/creatures/etc. One acts as a distraction while the other goes into X house/area/etc to find supplies or an item needed to progress.

Amy will be a good example of if it's doable, while it doesn't have proper co-op (it hasn't been mentioned yet) it relies on two characters who have to help each other by doing exactly what I mentioned above.

There actually was a coop survival horror game for the ps2, (I think it was called Obscure?), it wasn't great, but showed a lot of promise.

Raide

MP could work as long as they force people to work together and survive. Apart from rare basic guns, players have to hunt out weapons to use. Health does not regen, have to use first aid kits, which are also rare. Make it nice and dark and make use of the flashlights, which also need batteries to keep them powered.

More survival and more horror is what it needs to work!

sn00zer

Actually....if its not a horror game and focuses on the wacky side of Silent Hill, then I would be all for it
UFOs, sentient dogs, laser guns.... would be utterly awesome

Kafel

Banned
badcrumble said:
Multiplayer is exactly what Silent Hill is all about. Well done, Konami. It's nice to see someone who gets it.

Isometric coop multiplayer is exactly what Tomb Raider is all about. Well done, Square Enix.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, this is fairly unexpected.

Hell Descent said:
Rumor: Konami Bringing Multiplayer Silent Hill to XBLA
March 18, 2011, 4:14 pm

In an interview with XBOX 360 Magazine Italy, Radek Marek Art Director on Silent Hill: Downpour told his interviewers that Konami is actively investigating a multiplayer Silent Hill title for XBLA. A translation of that interview was done by one of our forum members.

360 Magazine said:
360M: Can we expect a multiplayer mode in Silent Hil?

Marek: At the moment there will be no multiplayer modes in Silent Hill: Downpour, but Konami are investigating a separate chapter devoted entirely to the Multiplayer. We do not know the details but it should be an XBLA title that most players have to survive in the town of Silent Hill.

We do know that Vatra looked into a multiplayer component for Silent Hill: Downpour, but it was canned in early development. If Konami does pursue a multiplayer only Silent Hill title for the XBLA we’re a bit hesitant but also interested. The Silent Hill series has been know for its atmosphere of isolation. Having players running around might work if done correctly, but we need to hear more info before we’re sold on the idea.
Source: http://helldescent.com/2011/03/18/rumor-konami-bringing-multiplayer-silent-hill-to-xbla/

Clott

Make it like Resident Evil:Outbreak. No voice chat and really limited supply's with puzzle based action.

That sounds, I'm gonna be blunt here, fucking stupid. Silent Hill has always been about the solitary psychological scares that make you question your own sanity. It's very much a personal experience that greatly benefits from being strictly single-player. Keep the god damn "play with yo friends dawg" shit out of my Silent Hill. FUCK YOU CAPCOM! /RAGE

Tain

Wasn't there already a thread on this?

The idea is awesome and hilarious, and the game should have kill points, iron sights, and red jelly. I'm surprised that people are so offended given how completely impossible a new good Silent Hill game is.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Manp said:
how can we stop this?

Why stop it? It's not like there's anything left to salvage of the franchise. Konami's been marinating it in shitsauce for a long time already. A multiplayer SH game is a terrible idea, but it's not like Konami are capable of making a great SH single player game anymore anyway.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It could be freaking awesome with super atmosphere. Imagine an Amnesia type game with 4 players walking into the unknown darkness and having to work together, with some risking their butts distracting monsters or triggering traps for others to be able to reach somewhere or something that will aid the whole team in advancing... Of course the main appeal would be the first playthrough and with the right people for it to work. But of course it could also be a top down shooter with pyramid head boss... Lol...

OatmealMu

I'd like to see multiple versions of enemies... Greater Pyramid Head, Lesser Pyramid Head, Enraged Pyramid Head, etc. Farming mobs would be welcome, too. I'm excited!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Silent Hill? Multiplayer?

Rather call it Noisy Hill.

man some of you are pretty closed minded. You complain that devs just rehash and re-release but anything that is a break from the norm is met with complete disapproval.

Tain

man some of you are pretty closed minded. You complain that devs just rehash and re-release but anything that is a break from the norm is met with complete disapproval.

i think you have a few people confused with a lot of people

If done properly, a multiplayer Silent Hill could work. I thought about the concept years ago with a friend, and we both came up with some genuinely interesting scenarios that would involve 2-4 players.

Hopefully, we will not see anything like Team Deathmatch or Capture the Heads with 5 Pyramids Heads vs 5 Valtiels. That would totally be out of place.

Beth Cyra

I am already really down on Downpour and I hate that they are moving away from SM into a focus on Combat.

A multiplayer only game couldn't be more against what I personally want out of Silent Hill.

Man

I'm all for a MP Silent Hill if it is handled like Demon's Souls (no voip).
Actually, Silent Hill is made for 'Demon's Souls online' as Silent Hill is by nature a multiverse (otherworld etc).
It could be amazing if it wasn't handed to a shitty dev which it surely will be.

I have absolutely no faith in this project, but it isn't impossible to pull off. Its all about handling and implementation, and if handled like an actual silent hill game, it could be awesome.

It won't though.

Top Bottom