• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vegan community thread - Give Peas a Chance

Just wondering what vegans feel about accidentally eating thousands of insects and microscopic organisms that they cannot see? Or how about killing insects all together when washing your lettuce?

part of nature. putting cows in spaces they can't move in, pumping them full of antibiotics, and torturing them before consuming them isn't. apply that to every animal consumed by the first world bar the very few doing something more respectful (and healthy).

edit:

i'm grateful for food but eating over at other people's houses can be a challenge when it's an american bbq :O

so yesterday I basically made the laziest vegan burrito - I just poured some black beans into a bowl and added minced soy, some bread crumbs and a little nutritional yeast. Ate it with some whole rice, guacamole and basic salsa - And it was pretty amazing.
I think I found my new lazy lunch.

I would probably add some spinach to that but it doesnt sound bad at all.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Krauser, we made your burgs this evening and it was a delicious experience. I added some celery seed + paprika and a bit more bread crumbs.
tGYPTXJ.jpg

Just got some soy curls delivered today. Gonna be so good! Love that curly, meaty... Stuff. Looking forward to vegan bulgogi and some spicy ass ramen. :9

dude

dude
Are there any former fish lovers in here?
I just found out how to make the perfect vegan "fish"!
Now, us Moroccan Jews have a traditional fish dish, it's sort of similar to Hraime,but a 1000 times better - It doesn't really have a name, it's just called Moroccan Fish. Ever since becoming vegan, I've missed the taste of this fish. I have yesterday succeeded in my attempted to mimic this dish - Not just in looks, but also in taste and almost in texture! The sauce is the same recipe my mother uses.

This is the recipe:
300 gr Tofu, half an onion, a handful of coriander, 2 cloves of garlic, 4 Tbs Olive oil and a sheet of Nori seaweed (can be bought at the sushi section usually) - Put them all together in a food processor, if needed add just a bit of water. Then add 4 Tbs bread crumbs. Make them into patties with your hands, try and squeeze them hard so that they'll be dense. Put them in a preheated oven for about 15 minutes until they are slightly brownish-golden.

Now, let's make the sauce: Take a big pot - It has to be wide, take the widest you have. Heat some canola oil, and then add some carrots and red peppers, after a while add 6 slices tomatoes. Let it cook for a while. Add one green hot pepper (optional I guess).

When the "fish" is done in the oven, and after it has cooled a bit a became more solid, cut some Nori into thing long sheets and wrap each "fish" patty in the nori, as to create the fish skin and give it some more "sea taste". Add each "fish" to the pot so that they're spread out, then add some peeled garlic cloves (whole, just wedge them between the "fish" patties). Take another handful of coriander (with the stems) and just throw it on top of the fishes. Close the lid and let it cook for about 15 minutes.

Here's a pic of the final dish. Not very sexy, I was just too busy eating i! Sorry.

Even my father thought it tasted close enough. I am so happy, I feel like I won back a taste from my childhood :)

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
SB_LTFLAX_NGMO_300.jpg

I feel like I should point out that Smart Balance Light butter is vegan, and is 100% indistinguishable from any other buttery spread for every possible purpose, and I've seen it in every grocery store I've been to in the US.

So while I understand some vegetarians are having a hard time crossing over to the vegan side because of cheese, the butter switch is actually incredibly easy. Just note that Smart Balance Original is not vegan while Smart Balance Light is.

Top Ramen Oriental Flavor, Oreos, Poptarts, and McCormick Bac'n Pieces are also all vegan even though you might not expect it.

However I should note that Oreos and Poptarts use sugar that come from factories that use animal bones for charcoal in the refinery process, which bothers some people. Personally I find sugar so ubiquitous and bone charcoal such an obscure side factor of animal farming that I don't think it's worth trying to avoid it, but I know some people still insist on it.

Celegus

There's also gelatin in pop tarts frosting which makes them non-vegan (except unfrosted). But that's okay because pop tarts are nasty overly sweet rectangles of doom anyway.

dude

dude
Well, at least we still have Oreos.

Also, I bought some Kala Namak today and OH MY GOD this shit is insane. I can't have vegan omlette without it now.

Hey VeganGAF :3.

So every once in a while I try to bake something (cookies, brownies etc) for my coworkers to enjoy. I figured out last time that we actually have a couple vegans working in the office, and so I wanted to bake something that everyone (including them) could eat. Anyone have a really yummy vegan cookie recipe or something that they'd recommend? I'd really appreciate it! :)

Other snacky vegan things (or were vegan at some point, please correct me if I'm wrong):

Skittles
Swedish Fish
Mike & Ike (and other similar candies)
Plain flavored Pringles
Top Ramen Oriental or Chili flavor (NOT Maruchan. Also be careful because Top Ramen has a beef flavor that looks like the chili packaging.)

Daigoro

Ahh, Vegan-GAF!!!

I'm coming up on five months and it's been a lot easier than I thought. That said, I find myself mostly eating salads or Trader Joe's vegan food. Any go-to super simple, super quick recipes? Often I'm ravenous when I get home from work and the last thing I want to do is spend an hour soaking cashews or make some elaborate miso or something like that.

5 months, keep it up! you can do it man. heres two recipes that are awesome and easy. they make plenty too, so this could be several meals for just one person. both reheat really well.

lentil tacos:
http://www.theppk.com/2011/05/ancho-lentil-tacos/

Indian style potatoes and spinach (posted earlier):

http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2009/04/indian-style-potatoes-and-spinach.html

check those blogs for other good recipes, these are good quick ones. check em out people.

been eyeing this book on amazon recently, got good reviews, haven't tried it yet though: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1449407854/?tag=neogaf0e-20

also, as always, do a google search on quick vegan recipes and im sure there will be a whole lot of hits.

ALSO: veggie bowls. pick a grain (pasta, rice, etc), a green (chard, spinach, kale), and some protein source (tofu, tempeh, beans), whip up a quick sauce and you're set. lots of recipes around im sure. quick, easy, and healthy.

Daigoro

i have been vegan for almost a year now (at the end of july it will be). It has been pretty easy. The biggest problem i am having now is finding a decent replacement to my boots. Im used to allen Edmonds and high quality leather shoes that look nice. Vegan shoes got shit on that, and i dont know if i can switch.

there are alternatives, especially stuff made in Europe. shit can get expensive though!

http://www.bravegentleman.com/shoes.html

just dig around and you can find lots of quality made vegan footwear.

Doc Martens began making a vegan line of shoes again after not doing so for a while. I have a pair of the eight hole black boots and they are great. I might have to break down and try out some of those expensive ass shoes like in the link above one year. id hate to spend a shitload on a pair of shoes and dislike them though. those prices are well above what I usually spend on shoes, they are fucking nice looking though!

Denzar

i have been vegan for almost a year now (at the end of july it will be). It has been pretty easy. The biggest problem i am having now is finding a decent replacement to my boots. Im used to allen Edmonds and high quality leather shoes that look nice. Vegan shoes got shit on that, and i dont know if i can switch.

Maybe you'll find something on this site?

http://www.vegetarian-shoes.co.uk/

Don't know if they ship world wide, though.

Daigoro

has everyone had their chickpea salad sandwich this week?

if you haven't made this before, you are missing out. so easy to do and damn tasty. try it!

(I just grabbed this recipe randomly from the net. this recipe is very customizable. you can do this a thousand different ways. there is a good buffalo style one with Frank's Red Hot on the PPK blog.

I usually just use a potato masher on the chickpeas, add carrot/celery, veggie mayo, salt/pepper, and some onion flakes or powder. toast some bread and done. so easy)

Mashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich

Ingredients for Mashed Chickpea Salad
•1 can (15 oz) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
•1/2 cup celery, sliced
•1/2 cup carrots, diced
•1/4 – 1/3 cup scallions, sliced
•1/4 cup or so hummus or tahini (any vegan mayo works too)*
•1 – 2 tablespoons mustard (stoneground or dijon)
•Sea salt & cracked pepper, to taste
•Dash of garlic powder
•Juice of 1 lemon, optional
•Small handful pepitas, optional
•Paprika/smoked paprika, garnish

Drain and rinse your chickpeas, place in medium size bowl and roughly mash with a fork, potato masher or pastry blender. Add the remaining ingredients and combine. Add more hummus if you like it creamier and taste for seasoning.

Maybe you'll find something on this site?

http://www.vegetarian-shoes.co.uk/

Don't know if they ship world wide, though.

pretty sure they do ship worldwide. ive ordered from them in the US before anyways.

also like I said, Doc's! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SI1QKI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I got the black ones for like $80 a year a go and they are a damn fine boot.

Daigoro

Great thread!

Vegetarian here. I want to go vegan, but I'm having trouble letting cheese go. It's so tasty and I haven't found a decent substitute over here.

Second problem is that there is fuck all of vegan alternatives in Bruges. It's a city filled with tourist and narrowminded fucks. We've got 1 store where they sell vegan products, and the prices there are INSANE. I just can't afford to shop there, my budget just doesn't allow it.

I try to be as vegan as possible, within my budget. Any tips you guys can give me?

The other problem I have is that I'm under constant fire from non-vegan/veggie people around me. At first I was able to scoff it off, but I've reached a certain point in my life where I just don't want to take those random, bullshit statements anymore. Any tips on handling that?

Thanks Vegan-GAF!

gotta be tough living in a place with limited options. I feel for you.

I did a search for vegan in Bruges and came up with at least a page full of hits. might be something of interest in there for you. check it out! there have to be other veg/vegans in Bruges. maybe they are online somewhere and you can get some tips.

another option might be looking at getting some mail order stuff. not sure what options you have in your area, but im sure you could find something. hopefully find out some stuff from someone closer to your area that might have some tips on where you could order from. otherwise, do the best with what you have and learn to be a good cook! :)

as for the other points in your post:

- some people get offended and defensive when they find out that someone doesn't eat animals for moral reasons. they think it reflects poorly on themselves and assume that people who don't eat animals look down on them, etc. its a natural reaction. you have a number of choices on how to deal with people.

the best way to deal with it (not necessarily the easiest), would be to not react poorly or angrily, and not to focus on their belief that veg*ns think that they are morally flawed, but to educate them on why you believe its wrong inflict unnecessary suffering on animals (how eating animals does cause unnecessary, and why it is in fact unnecessary).

people who have an open mind wouldn't have an aggressive attitude and want to confront you on your views. anyone who would give you shit about trying to do less harm is coming at you from a confused angle. attempt to deal with these people with compassion if at all possible (they need it!)and educate them if possible, and if all else fails avoid the topic, decline to speak with them about it, avoid the person all together etc.

what other options are there besides giving into the pressure and doing something that you believe is morally wrong because other people feel uncomfortable about your choice, right? screw that! :)

- I just finished reading a book that deals with pretty much all of these questions that people come up with that confuse and attempt to debunk the ethical issues about eating animals. it's well written and to the point, and does a very good job of cutting through some of these confusing arguments and "but what about...?" scenarios and get to the heart of the matter about veganism.

it definitely covers all of the arguments that pop up in every thread on the subject in gaf (and specifically all of the borderline troll posts in this thread, like being offended at the original title, or what about insects, or what about plant's feelings, etc. every one of them)

Book2.jpg

definitely recommend checking it out to everyone. I've been a vegan for a long time, but i found value in it. its a quick read and you can pick up the kindle version for about $10. (im thinking about buying a few copies for some family members personally...)

-one other point, but im going to make a separate post on it since i don't want to direct it at you specifically.

Daigoro

To my (ovo-lacto) vegetarian brothers and sisters who haven chosen not to eat meat for moral and ethical reasons.

At the risk of sounding like a preachy vegan, let first me state that I don't think any less of you than I do people who still eat meat (this includes many close relatives and friends). This is coming from a place of compassion.

If case you are unaware, the production eggs and dairy is for the most part (99.9%) run in a brutal, deplorable, and inexcusable fashion. It causes unnecessary suffering to animals on a massive scale. It is equal in the amount of suffering it causes to the meat industry. It's really one and the same.

I know some people have a hard time giving up cheese and other dairy products, but you can do it. If you believe in not causing unnecessary suffering to animals, you must do it.

For me personally, I compare it to the same kind of mental roadblock that was in my way when I still ate meat. It was something I either didn't think about, or something that I didn't want to think about. I was vegetarian for years before I finally made the switch to being vegan. It slowly dawned on me that I was really kind of only half way there. I finally realized that it didn't make sense for me to have stopped eating meat for ethical reasons and to continue eating eggs and dairy. So I dropped it like the habit that it was and never went back.

It takes a small bit of effort, mistakes will happen, but it's truly not difficult and it becomes a normal way of living instead of something you have to practice in no time at all. Please think about it. If you need more convincing check out that book I posted above, among many other resources on the subject.

Here it is stated more eloquently than anything I have ever said in my life, from someone a lot more learned than I will ever be:

If you are not vegan, please go vegan. Veganism is about nonviolence. First and foremost, it’s about nonviolence to other sentient beings. But it’s also about nonviolence to the earth and nonviolence to yourself.

The World is Vegan! If you want it.

Gary L. Francione
Board of Governors Distinguished Professor, Rutgers University

Denzar

gotta be tough living in a place with limited options. I feel for you.

I did a search for vegan in Bruges and came up with at least a page full of hits. might be something of interest in there for you. check it out! there have to be other veg/vegans in Bruges. maybe they are online somewhere and you can get some tips.

another option might be looking at getting some mail order stuff. not sure what options you have in your area, but im sure you could find something. hopefully find out some stuff from someone closer to your area that might have some tips on where you could order from. otherwise, do the best with what you have and learn to be a good cook! :)

as for the other points in your post:

- some people get offended and defensive when they find out that someone doesn't eat animals for moral reasons. they think it reflects poorly on themselves and assume that people who don't eat animals look down on them, etc. its a natural reaction. you have a number of choices on how to deal with people.

the best way to deal with it (not necessarily the easiest), would be to not react poorly or angrily, and not to focus on their belief that veg*ns think that they are morally flawed, but to educate them on why you believe its wrong inflict unnecessary suffering on animals (how eating animals does cause unnecessary, and why it is in fact unnecessary).

people who have an open mind wouldn't have an aggressive attitude and want to confront you on your views. anyone who would give you shit about trying to do less harm is coming at you from a confused angle. attempt to deal with these people with compassion if at all possible (they need it!)and educate them if possible, and if all else fails avoid the topic, decline to speak with them about it, avoid the person all together etc.

what other options are there besides giving into the pressure and doing something that you believe is morally wrong because other people feel uncomfortable about your choice, right? screw that! :)

- I just finished reading a book that deals with pretty much all of these questions that people come up with that confuse and attempt to debunk the ethical issues about eating animals. it's well written and to the point, and does a very good job of cutting through some of these confusing arguments and "but what about...?" scenarios and get to the heart of the matter about veganism.

it definitely covers all of the arguments that pop up in every thread on the subject in gaf (and specifically all of the borderline troll posts in this thread, like being offended at the original title, or what about insects, or what about plant's feelings, etc. every one of them)

Book2.jpg

definitely recommend checking it out to everyone. I've been a vegan for a long time, but i found value in it. its a quick read and you can pick up the kindle version for about $10. (im thinking about buying a few copies for some family members personally...)

-one other point, but im going to make a separate post on it since i don't want to direct it at you specifically.

Hey dude! Thanks for your insightful reply!

I've done research and found out about some really cool vegan resteaurants over here. A vegan friend of mine also sent me a list with some vegan products that can be found in "regular" stores. Diversirty is still an issue though.

I'll see if I can order that book in my store. Seems like a good read indeed.

Not planning on living here for the rest of my life and moving to the bigger cities. Going vegan is one of the motivations.

EmiPrime

Francione is super direct, no holds barred and he probably comes across as a bit of an asshole to some but he really gets it especially on the issues of "happy/humane" meat/eggs/milk and single issue campaigns.

has everyone had their chickpea salad sandwich this week?

if you haven't made this before, you are missing out. so easy to do and damn tasty. try it!

I like making a simple tu-no sandwich with chickpeas. Just cooked chickpeas, veganize, celery salt, soaked and rained hijiki, mustard, chopped green onions, salt and pepper. Put it all in a food processor and pulse until desired consistency. If you leave it a little chunky and spread it on bread, it's a pretty good tuna replacement.

(with some chopped kale)

I like making a simple tu-no sandwich with chickpeas. Just cooked chickpeas, veganize, celery salt, soaked and rained hijiki, mustard, chopped green onions, salt and pepper. Put it all in a food processor and pulse until desired consistency. If you leave it a little chunky and spread it on bread, it's a pretty good tuna replacement.

(with some chopped kale)
hmmm, looks good. :D
Might have to try that.

What is veganize?

ngower

Thoughts on umami? I was recommended to explore that flavor palette to combat a recent meat craving I had (not even good meed, fast food nonsense!) but it's a bit of a chore to explore all these recipes and what not. Just curious what some go-to easy recipes in this area might be? I've been told adding miso paste to everything is a surefire way to add a good flavor.

I saw some youtube videos abouts vegetarian "bacon" made of Shiitake mushrooms. So I figured, I'd try that out and share my experience with you.

I bought two of these packages:

I sliced the mushroom parts into thin slices, but they could have been even thinner for more crispness!

For salty taste, I marinated them with some olive oil, soy sauce and some salt. The blogs and youtube videos also recommend liquid aminos or liquid smoke, but I thought the basic ingredients were best for the start.

The I put it in the oven with about 255 degrees Fahrenheit/125 celsius for about an hour so the mushrooms did not burn but lost enough moisture to become crispy slowly.

The result:

Fazit:

Tasty! The slices could have been thinner because only the thinner slices were actually crisp. I'll remember that next time. Otherwise: Its obviously not exactly like bacon but the Umami-richness of shiitake mushrooms plus the soy sauce and salt contributing to make this a tasty and much more healthy alternative to bacon. and its even vegan, yay!

I think the uses are more akin to bacon crumbles, you can sprinkle this on top of salad, eggs etc. But I also enjoyed them as a snack for in between as it really has an amazing taste.
It is also recommendable for people who dont like mushrooms but want to try them out again. I never liked mushrooms but I figured something that tastes like bacon could do no wrong, and I actually did enjoy mushrooms for the very first time.

Anyone ever tried this? If not, I highly recommend this.

Special thx to neogaf/dota-gaf user Steilz whose kitchen was used for the preperation of the shiitake.

Quoting myself from n old thread
I also recommend using dried mushrooms, since they absorb the marinade faster

So every once in a while I try to bake something (cookies, brownies etc) for my coworkers to enjoy. I figured out last time that we actually have a couple vegans working in the office, and so I wanted to bake something that everyone (including them) could eat. Anyone have a really yummy vegan cookie recipe or something that they'd recommend? I'd really appreciate it! :)

Bumping my own post a bit if that's okay. Still open to suggestions. :)

I recently started listening to the Food for Thought podcast.
So far it's semi interesting, in the current episode she says very sensible things about palm oil.

Also bought my first carton of soy milk, so the journey has begun. I think I will start by cutting out milk and eggs from home use. My s.o. won't be a happy hector. :p

Daigoro

yep, that's the stuff! lots of different ways to make it. your recipe looks great. chopped kale eh? nice. gonna have to try that.

those pics are great.

hmmm, looks good. :D
Might have to try that.

What is veganize?

it is really good, and super easy to make with lots of variations on the recipe. the basic basics is just chickpeas with something to bind it together, some chopped veggies and spices. couldn't be easier.

I think she meant Veganaise probably. http://followyourheart.com/products/original-3/

Follow Your Heart make some great products.

I recently started listening to the Food for Thought podcast.
So far it's semi interesting, in the current episode she says very sensible things about palm oil.

Also bought my first carton of soy milk, so the journey has begun. I think I will start by cutting out milk and eggs from home use. My s.o. won't be a happy hector. :p

cool. good luck, you can do it!

try out some other types of milks too (rice, nut, and grain types), there are a number of good ones on the market now. also, different brands all taste different and have some varying consistency to them, so shop around till you find ones you like best.

dude

dude
Another recipe: This time - Spinach patties!

It's pretty easy!
take about 4 Tbs red lentils and soak them in boiling water for 5-10 minutes.
In a food processor, put 180g spinach, the red lentils, 2 Tbs Tahini and 2 cloves of garlic and roughly process (don't over do it.) Add like 4-6 Tbs breadcrumbs and with wet hands roll them into medium round patties and put in a pre-heated oven, 180C. They'll be ready after about 10-15 minutes.

They're super easy and super delicious!
UpJvJiml.png

derFeef

Hey!
Did not know this thread exisited :)

My girlfriend is vegan and I am a veggie for 3 months now, enjoying myself a lot - it feels great. Whenever I am with my GF we only eat vegan - luckily we have some great vegan restaurants in the city I live in.

Looking forward to some cool recipes and talks!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

BUY THIS BOOK!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VA5PHK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

We eat mostly vegan because I have children with food allergies, and we bought this book to give them more options.

These authors own a bakery and know what they're doing. Most of the stuff I've tried from this book is equal to or better than the non-vegan stuff I've had. It's phenomenal. Their cupcake book is fantastic, too. The main problem with vegan desserts is that the texture ends up way, way off. I've never had that issue with these cookbooks.

Famassu

Vegan tofu-lasagne ála Famassu: the most recent version

SOME PREPARATIONS

You'll need

red pesto (vegan kind)
300-500g of tofu.

1) So, first you'll want to make some red pesto, which I use as a kind of marinade for the tofu.

For the red pesto, you'll need

-1-3 cloves of garlic (depending on how much you like garlic :p )
-1 onion
-2-3dl of grated vegan cheese
~300g of sundried tomatoes
-some oregano, basil & other herbs like that
-a (small-ish) handful of either pine seeds or some nuts you like
-some oil (I use the oil that the sundried tomatoes are in)
(cayenne pepper if you like it spicy)

just throw all of the ingredients into a blender and go at it. if you don't think the end result is red enough for a red pesto, you might add a couple of some of those smaller kinds of tomatoes. Taste the end product, it could need salt and black pepper (or not).

2) slice the firm tofu into ~1-1,5cm/1-1,5cm cube-ish pieces . Then put the pieces into a bowl and throw the red pesto on them and mix them up so that all the tofu pieces are covered in the pesto. You might want to do the pesto and marinade the tofu a day before you make the lasagne, if you want the tofu to really suck up the flavour and the lasagne to taste a bit more immediately after you take the lasagne out of the oven instead of having to wait for the day after for the tofu in the lasagne to be at its best.

THE FILLING

You'll need

2-3 carrots
2 onions
2-3 cloves of garlic
lots of spinach
1-2 cellery
(+ you CAN use 1-2 red bell peppers. I usually do, but I didn't have any when I made this particular lasagne a couple of days ago)
100-200g of Chantarelle mushrooms
the marinated tofu
1 can of tomato sauce
1-2 small cans (they are, like, 25 or 50g) of tomato puree
oil or butter (I used coconut butter, since I had some leftover from a while ago, but any kind of oil or vegan-approved butter is fine)

1) prepare the onions, garlic, carrots, cellery & mushrooms like you'd probably normally do for any kind of dish (that is, chop, slice & cut them into pieces).

2) melt a sizable (but not too big) piece of coconut butter (or pour some other kind of oil) on the frying pan. Once that's done & it's hot enough, throw in the onions, garlic & cellery. Saute them (maybe throw a little bit of salt at this point).

3) once the onions etc. are done, throw in the mushrooms. I sliced each mushroom into about 2-4 pieces (they were kinda big ones) and didn't cut them at all if they were tiny ones. Now, you'll have to fry the things on the frying pan for as long as all the excess water from the mushrooms is gone.

4) now come the carrots. In they go into the onion-mushroom-etc. mix. Cook them for a while. They don't need to be fully cooked at this point, since there's plenty of time still when the whole thing is in the oven.

Z2u7QWv.jpg

Sorry about the crappy lighting ;3

5) throw in the tofu. At this point, the frying pan is probably starting to fill up (I suggest a big-ass one, otherwise you could be in trouble :p ), but try to fry the tofus the best you can, to get them to suck up on some of the flavor that is on the frying pan at that moment.

6) throw in the spinach. You don't need to cook them too long, they'll almost immediately start to turn dark-green and their size diminishes, and that basically means they're done

48BOKeh.jpg

Tofu & spinach added

7) open & pour the tomato sauce and puree cans on to the frying pan and mix it with everything. The puree isn't 100% necessary, but I like to add some of it into tomato sauce -including dishes, just makes them better than just having tomatosauce, imho. Depending on the tomatosauce, some of them might be a bit watery, so I'd cook the filling until it's thicker/most of the water has evaporated.

At this point, I'd taste the filling. It might need some salt & spices of your liking (I still had to add some garlic powder, salt and red bell pepper powder to get a bit more taste into the filling).

THE CHEESE MILK

You'll need

3dl grated vegan cheese
~1 liter of some kind of milk (I use soy or rice milk)
1+dl of flour
5 tablespoons of butter
black pepper
nutmeg

1) melt some butter (again, I used coconut butter) in a saucepan on low heat (it shouldn't be superhot after it's melted). Once it's melted, mix about 1-1,5dl of flour (I'd pour it through a strainer/sieve/whatever you call it) into it.

2) once the flour is in, you can put the stove on higher heat and start pouring in the milk. Don't do it too quickly, you'll want to pour a little and then make sure it mixes properly, and only then pour more..

3) once all the milk is in the saucepan, keep mixing the liquid/sauce constantly. Do this until the mixture starts to boil (I use medium-high heat). At that point, take it off the stove and throw in most of the cheese (leave some, maybe 1/3rd, for the topping). Wait until all the cheese has malted. At this point, the cheesemilk-sauce should be somewhat thick. You can throw some black pepper and nutmeg into it.

PUTTING THE LASAGNE TOGETHER

So, you'll want one of these (of some kind)

Mnxyrdm.jpg

1) pour some oil (of your choice) into it and take some paper or something and swipe the bakeware-thingy all over inside until each corner & spot of it has been oiled.

2) pour some of the cheesemilk on the bottom so that a slim layer of it covers the whole bottom of the bakeware -> put the first layer of lasagne sheets on top of the cheesemilk -> put some filling on the lasagne sheets -> pour some cheesemilk on the the filling (again, so that it can be found ~all over this layer) -> put another layer of lasagne sheets -> put on some filling -> pour cheese milk -> repeat until we are on the final layer. Now, you've put in the last of the fillings (or well, as much as you can put in, I predict there will be a bit too much of it :p ). You'll want to first pour some cheese milk on top of the last layer of filling (don't pour all of it yet), then put the last layer of lasagne sheets on and only at this point should you pour the last of the cheesemilk on the top-most layer of sheets.

NJrISnc.jpg

only missing the grated cheese

3) once you've put all the layers, filling & cheesemilk in the thing, sprinkle the last of the grated cheese on the top-most layer of sheetes & cheesemilk.

heat the oven up to 200*C, put the lasagne in and keep it there for about 30-40 minutes (until the top-most layer is all crispy & nicely brown).

SB3dJJL.jpg

It's done (maybe could've kept it in the oven a few minutes longer, but this was good as well)

KZ8FSwk.jpg

I don't think food photography is my strongest skill ;<

NOTE: you can also easily replace the tofu with some kind of soy meat. You can, of course, also use some other mushrooms than what I used, if Chanterelles aren't available in your region.

I hope there aren't too many typos/unfinished sentences or silly errors in the recipe/instructions above. ^_^;

BUY THIS BOOK!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VA5PHK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

We eat mostly vegan because I have children with food allergies, and we bought this book to give them more options.

These authors own a bakery and know what they're doing. Most of the stuff I've tried from this book is equal to or better than the non-vegan stuff I've had. It's phenomenal. Their cupcake book is fantastic, too. The main problem with vegan desserts is that the texture ends up way, way off. I've never had that issue with these cookbooks.

Wow thank you very much!! :) I appreciate the link.

DJ_Lae

I'm not vegan but I like eating vegan meals once in a while - those two chickpea chicken/tuna salad recipes on this page sound great. Of course, I have a weakness for chickpeas in general, from hummus to falafel and chana masala or even just tossed in oil and spice and roasted.

Or any legume, really.

Famassu

I find this amusing, I would say
almost
everyone eats vegan every once in a while. Just eating an apple could be seen as eating vegan. xD
Of course fruits are vegan so eating an apple is "eating vegan" from the offset, but when people specifically say "I ate vegan food", I think they usually mean they might've eaten, say, an apple pie that has deliberately been made so that no eggs, butter, milk etc. has been used in it's making. Or they've eaten a dish that usually has some meat in it made in a way where meat has been replaced with something (or just omitted). They don't mean they've eaten the kind of food that has traditionally had non-meat/non-dairy versions (i.e. carrot soup).

Pinkuss

Anyone in the UK big on Innocent Veg pots? I seem to be living on them at the moment (with extra hot sauce, chillis, frozen veg and occasionally faux meat added).

The pack says they're not suitable for home freezing too which is a lie (and as they're always on special offer as no one eats them is a godsend).

DJ_Lae

I find this amusing, I would say
almost
everyone eats vegan every once in a while. Just eating an apple could be seen as eating vegan. xD

Haha, I know, I just meant making full, intentionally vegan dishes. I like tofu once in a while, enjoy tempeh, and quite like seitan as well (I even have a bag of gluten lying around for me to make homemade seitan at some point). I keep TVP in the pantry and a ton of dried beans and will happily use a fake beef crumble for chili or lasagna or spaghetti sauce as a break from meat once in a while.

For me it's a variety thing, which is why I could never go full vegan. But I like experimenting with different things too, and will try substitutions like flaxseed for eggs occasionally too because I'm curious. I've had vegan cheese too though that's one substitution I'd rather not make.

And I confess, I will get a craving occasonally for a portabello mushroom burger with simply an olive oil, onion, garlic, and balsamic marinated portabello mushroom, grilled up with roasted peppers on a toasted bun. Cheese too if I feel like it though I realize that ruins the vegan nature of the burger.

Vegan 'cheese' is the worst. Haven't found anything that tastes good.
Time to write that off.

For the time being I will continue to be vegetarian outwards, and vegan inwards. Meaning I will eat and cook Vegan wherever I have that choice, especially at home. But for example at the work canteen I'm glad to find good vegetarian food, and I will not be asking about it being vegan all the time. Or when we get invited to dinner I will be vegetarian for now. It's only a matter of time till everyone around me learns I want to be more vegan.
At the pizzeria last week I ordered a vegetable pizza without cheese, and it was unceremoniously a vegetable pizza without cheese. I might ask for a little more topping and tomato sauce instead next time to make up the difference.

Will start trying out the many vegan restaurants in Munich soon. Had a vegan burger at one place the other day, that was really good. :)

As predicted my s.o. was not very happy when I told her I was going more vegan. She feels it directly affects her and forces her to be vegan when we cook together. I tried to explain that I am fine with her eating whatever she wants and that it really only concerns two meals at the weekend which we cook together. And even then I am quite happy to make two different portions. I think most of her reservation comes from loads of misinformation about veganism that goes around.
She will get used to it. I have no interest in forcing or preaching to anyone about being more vegan.
But reading more books about it, it seems clear that morally it's a one way street and I am slowly collecting ammunition for the discussions that have happened in the past and will inevitably happen again in the future with all manner of people.

Did you try Wilmersburger? It's one of the better vegan chesse I found, also is good on Pizza.

Yea I think so. The grated 'cheese' was ok, but the slices just taste of nothing. (Just like most of the real pre-packaged cheese we get here.) I love strong French cheese not young Gouda without any taste. ;)

derFeef

Ah yes, it's no substitite for sure, but I found it enjoyable at least. I am not too fond of vegan sausages and stuff like that as well - my gf and me make our own stuff :) Much better anyway.

We are soon going on vacation and we will stay in a vegan hotel, very curious how that turns out!

Famassu

Something a bit simpler than the lasagne this time ;3

Fried rice with mushrooms, broccoli and onions

You'll need

Some vegan alternative for butter (sorry, not sure what this is called in english, vegetable butter/fat/whatever?)
2-3 onions
6-7 decent sized fresh champignon mushroom (none of that canned shit, bleh)
1 head of broccoli
~3-4 portions of cooked rice
curry powder
paprika powder
soy sauce
1 vegetable stock cube

1) initial preparations (cut the mushrooms into pieces, chop the onions, rip the broccoli apart into smaller pieces)

2) start cooking the rice. Pour the adequate amount of water into a pan, throw in one vegetable stock cube and cook dat rice. You might want to do this before advancing too much, depending on what kind of rice you are using and how long it'll take to cook.

3) While the rice is cooking, you can sautee the onions on a frying pan. Melt some vegan butter and once the frying pan is hot enough, throw in the onions. I like to spice the food at this part of the cooking already, so once the onions are sauteed, spice it with tons of curry, paprika powder and a little bit of soy sauce

4) once the spices are in, throw in the mushrooms. You might have to add some butter at this point. Let them cook & spice up on the frying pan for a while.

5) then the broccoli. Do the same as with the mushrooms. I like to leave them nice & crunchy, so maybe don't fry them for too long, just enough so that they spice up a bit and aren't completely raw.

6) the rice is hopefully cooked at this point, throw in as much of it into the broccoli-mushroom-onion mix as you like and stir & fry the rice for a little while

Here's the end result (crappy lighting, again ;3 ), really tasty and pretty simple to do

Food Hint: you can also skip the rice and broccoli and use the spiced butter-onion-mushroom mix in a multitude of ways (make a simple mushroom-sauce out of it by adding some vegetable milk & flour, use the mix as one ingredient in a veggieburger etc.)

Vegan 'cheese' is the worst. Haven't found anything that tastes good.
Time to write that off.

If you're in Europe, this doesn't help you at all, but my wife just discovered the most incredible cashew cheese, from a company in Ottawa called Mad Faux Cheese. It's delicious, and it's less oily than Daiya. Apparently it's all based on recipes from Artisan Vegan Cheese, so if you want to try making your own, that cookbook might be worth your time!

Top Bottom