• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verge: The FCC's Proposal to kill net neutrality is now out — here’s how to comment

The FCC published its proposal to undo the 2015 net neutrality rules today, meaning the public is once again able to go and comment on it.

An early draft of the proposal was published last month. Comments were accepted during the following weeks — as many discovered thanks to John Oliver — but the commission put commenting on pause shortly before its vote. The vote happened last week, the proposal passed, and now we’re getting an updated draft and the ability to comment again.

Very little has changed between what was in the proposal a month ago and what’s in it today. The document is still a vague, open-ended mess that says very little while asking a ton of questions, giving the commission leeway to do more-or-less whatever it wants when the commenting period closes in a few months.

To sum up in a bit more detail: the proposal, which has the ludicrous title “Restoring Internet Freedom,” says the FCC would like to remove the legal authority (Title II) used to implement net neutrality; it then goes on to ask about what, if any, net neutrality rules should replace the ones that are forced out the door once their legal backing is gone. The commission includes quite a few asides in the text to indicate just how skeptical it is that rules are need at all.

Now that the proposal has been published, the public comment period has opened up again. The first round of comments is due before July 17th. After that, a second commenting round will be open until August 16th, during which the public is expected to reply to comments filed during the first round of filings.

Commenting takes a few steps, but it’s not particularly challenging. Here’s what to do:

First, go to this site — it’s the FCC’s page for filings related to the Restoring Internet Freedom proposal.

Then, click on “Express” in the box on the left of the page. (The other option, “New Filing,” does basically the same thing but presents you with a bunch of additional choices that don’t need to be filled out.)

From there, you’re pretty much good to go. You’ll notice that “17-108” has been filled into the very top box on the page, where it says “proceedings” — leave that there, it’s what associates your comment with the right proposal.

The rest of the page is all common sense: you’ll need to enter your name and address, and below that is space for your comment. Be aware that this information will be publicly posted on the FCC’s website once it’s submitted.

All right, I know what some of you people are about to say, so let me say it for you.

"But Pai doesn't care about our comments! He's just gonna ignore all of them!"

Yeah, and the GOP doesn't give a shit about health care or the poor, yet you still call your reps, right?

You Americans have a duty right now to keep standing up for your rights no matter who's sitting in the big chair, so use this chance and send your concerns to the FCC. Because one way or another, these comments you make will come into play later. Whether it be when the FCC makes their decision, or the lawsuits that come after that.

The FCC published its proposal to undo the 2015 net neutrality rules today, meaning the public is once again able to go and comment on it.

All right, I know what some of you people are about to say, so let me say it for you.

"But Pai doesn't care about our comments! He's just gonna ignore all of them!"

Yeah, and the GOP doesn't give a shit about health care or the poor, yet you still call your reps, right?

You Americans have a duty right now to keep standing up for your rights no matter who's sitting in the big chair, so use this chance and send your concerns to the FCC. Because one way or another, these comments you make will come into play later. Whether it be when the FCC makes their decision, or the lawsuits that come after that.

I get where you're coming from, but I do hope you understand that it's a vastly different issue than the health care stuff. For one, there's only three members on the FCC board, none of whom are elected. I won't discourage calling reps of course, but it's really not in their hands in any form.

The biggest thing that will help is backlash from companies, but that has been absolutely MIA since all of this started. Outside a little blurb on Google's homepage, I have yet to see any major company come out against this. That worries me greatly

I get where you're coming from, but I do hope you understand that it's a vastly different issue than the health care stuff. For one, there's only three members on the FCC board, none of whom are elected. I won't discourage calling reps of course, but it's really not in their hands in any form.

The biggest thing that will help is backlash from companies, but that has been absolutely MIA since all of this started. Outside a little blurb on Google's homepage, I have yet to see any major company come out against this. That worries me greatly

I'm aware. I was simply drawing a comparison to the actions taken, that's all.

I too, am concerned by the lack of companies' backlash so far. But right now all we can do is make our voices heard loud enough for more people to notice. That's our duty right now.

I'm aware. I was simply drawing a comparison to the actions taken, that's all.

I too, am concerned by the lack of companies' backlash so far. But right now all we can do is make our voices heard loud enough for more people to notice. That's our duty right now.

Yeah, but our voices really don't matter since the will of the majority of the government no longer represent the people. I expected a lot of backlash from companies. Without them, I really don't think anything can happen. Their total radio silence inspires nothing but dread in me.

Yeah, but our voices really don't matter since the will of the majority of the government no longer represent the people. I expected a lot of backlash from companies. Without them, I really don't think anything can happen. Their total radio silence inspires nothing but dread in me.

I'm aware of what the majority of the government is thinking. I'm worried as well.

Which is why more and more people need to be speaking out about this and commenting when they can.

That's how they get you. They try and pressure you into not standing up with the choices they make to make it seem like your voice and your votes don't matter, and it demotivates them to take any real action.

I'm seeing it a lot on OT GAF lately and it's like a dangerous disease. A sense of hopelessness spreading around that forces people to sit on their couches feeling sad instead of getting out there and yelling angrily, pushing onwards and fighting for their rights in whatever way possible.

I'm aware of what the majority of the government is thinking. I'm worried as well.

Which is why more and more people need to be speaking out about this and commenting when they can.

That's how they get you. They try and pressure you into not standing up with the choices they make to make it seem like your voice and your votes don't matter, and it demotivates them to take any real action.

I'm seeing it a lot on OT GAF lately and it's like a dangerous disease. A sense of hopelessness spreading around that forces people to sit on their couches feeling sad instead of getting out there and yelling angrily, pushing onwards and fighting for their rights in whatever way possible.

You're projecting something here on to me. I'm doing all I can. I donate to cases for this, I wrote my comment for the FCC a long time ago when it first opened, and I spread the news on my social media and to friends. I'm far from 'sitting on the couch being sad.' My comments on my voice not mattering isn't one of defeatism, it's just harsh truth. It's not preventing me from doing what I can, but I'm not going to go into a fantasy land either

You're projecting something here on to me. I'm doing all I can. I donate to cases for this, I wrote my comment for the FCC a long time ago when it first opened, and I spread the news on my social media and to friends. I'm far from 'sitting on the couch being sad.' My comments on my voice not mattering isn't one of defeatism, it's just harsh truth. It's not preventing me from doing what I can, but I'm not going to go into a fantasy land either

I'm not saying that Pai is going to have a sudden change of heart from more comments. Like I said before, these comments can come into play when this debacle ends up making its way towards the courts.

I am simply offering another perspective where our cause can be seen to have a little more hope. Of course, this doesn't guarantee anything. But the more evidence we provide on why the Title II classification is necessary through these comments, the better.

I'm not saying that Pai is going to have a sudden change of heart from more comments. Like I said before, these comments can come into play when this debacle ends up making its way towards the courts.

I am simply offering another perspective where our cause can be seen to have a little more hope. Of course, this doesn't guarantee anything. But the more evidence we provide on why the Title II classification is necessary through these comments, the better.

Sure, but Pai was on this board the first time this came up, so he knows. It's all just ceremony. Without real backlash from big companies, I don't see much hope unfortunately. I mean, where are they? Google has a little blurb on their homepage, but that's it. Amazon? Nothing. Netflix? Nothing. Sony? Nothing. Microsoft? Nothing. Any major video game publisher? Nothing. I'm sure there's tons more but that is all I can think off the top of my head. This could fundamental charge the internet as we know, and all of their business models to various degrees. We're alone.

I'm not expecting much from them, as they are actually the secondary beneficiaries of tiered access, as they are incumbent and rich enough to buy priority and squelch potential newcomers. They may not like paying more, but they aren't dumb enough to not pay (and thereby also recognize the benefit of the system for them) if net neutrality goes away.

I'm not expecting much from them, as they are actually the secondary beneficiaries of tiered access, as they are incumbent and rich enough to buy priority and squelch potential newcomers. They may not like paying more, but they aren't dumb enough to not pay (and thereby also recognize the benefit of the system for them) if net neutrality goes away.

You're probably right

Sure, but Pai was on this board the first time this came up, so he knows. It's all just ceremony. Without real backlash from big companies, I don't see much hope unfortunately. I mean, where are they? Google has a little blurb on their homepage, but that's it. Amazon? Nothing. Netflix? Nothing. Sony? Nothing. Microsoft? Nothing. Any major video game publisher? Nothing. I'm sure there's tons more but that is all I can think off the top of my head. This could fundamental charge the internet as we know, and all of their business models to various degrees. We're alone.

Trust me, I know this, and it's very concerning to me as well. I'm just trying to keep people's spirits up to keep fighting regardless.

Looking at this timeline here on how the last battle went down. I'm not sure when there the big online companies started to come into play, but local and online activism from the people played a massive part in all this last time.

Regardless of how our efforts go down, I'm skeptical of how Pai can make a case for this when the inevitable lawsuit comes his way. He seems hell bent on pushing the same: "lowered investment, internet wasn't broken" scenario as his main reasoning, but I'm not sure how that alone can hold up to a: and I quote from another article: "400-page justification of why broadband is a Title II service and why net neutrality is important".

While I feel like that may be our best hope in all this, I still feel like our comments will matter very much in that regard, so people should still make their voice heard.

I realize I'm sounding like a broken record here, but it's important to point out any sort of possible path to victory here.

There seems to be a lot less internet awareness about this than last time.

This may partially be due to the fact that a lot of the focus right now is on Trump and his many many blunders. There's so much shit going on right now with regards to health care, foreign relations, and all the Russia stuff that it can be exhausting for one to keep track of all of it.

Still, we got more comments in the early stages than we did when this was an issue years ago. That and these things take time to really gain traction.

Valtýr

One of the worst things about following this is seeing Comcast ads on Twitter mobile about their support for this shit and how they are SO MUCH in favor for true and actual net neutrality.

And then reading the fucking Comcast rep responding to everyone who is calling them out with lies and propaganda. Disgusting.

Valtýr;237905943 said:
One of the worst things about following this is seeing Comcast ads on Twitter mobile about their support for this shit and how they are SO MUCH in favor for true and actual net neutrality.

And then reading the fucking Comcast rep responding to everyone who is calling them out with lies and propaganda. Disgusting.

They may put on the appearance of fighting it publicly, but I think they already know who they are siding with, and its not the American consumer.

Top Bottom