• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG Tech: Dark Souls 3 Patch 1.11 PS4 Pro Frame Rate Test (Unlocked Frame-rate)

No, again. 45 fps is not constant framerate. And CAN'T BE in a vsynced scenario.

...Frames per second is always an average, in one second. Doesn't show the full picture.
Don't you see how these two statements contradict? Framerate is always an average. That's why you can say "a constant 45fps", because the average can be unwavering.

Taking that sustained 45fps average and then saying it's "wildly fluctuating" due to the alternating frame times is what I'm arguing against. You're then trying to define framerates based on individual frames, which as even you point out isn't how framerates are defined. We have a separate measure for that, frame times.

Framerates can be sustained, even if frame times are rapidly changing back and forth.

Please also note that your insistence that all this is special to v-synced games is untrue. A non-synced game can still hit 45fps as an average, and its frametime graph will look just as sawtoothed as a v-synced game. Just the frames will also be torn. Only FreeSync, G-Sync, or HDMI VRR displays change that, it has nothing to do with the games.

MaLDo

Don't you see how these two statements contradict? Framerate is always an average. That's why you can say "a constant 45fps", because the average can be unwavering.

Taking that sustained 45fps average and then saying it's "wildly fluctuating" due to the alternating frame times is what I'm arguing against. You're then trying to define framerates based on individual frames, which as even you point out isn't how framerates are defined. We have a separate measure for that, frame times.

Framerates can be sustained, even if frame times are rapidly changing back and forth.

Please also note that your insistence that all this is special to v-synced games is untrue. A non-synced game can still hit 45fps as an average, and its frametime graph will look just as sawtoothed as a v-synced game. Just the frames will also be torn. Only FreeSync, G-Sync, or HDMI VRR displays change that, it has nothing to do with the games.

Framerate is not an average the same way speed, per se, is not an average.

You talk about your instant speed using same units and you don't need to refer as an average.

You're really confused about some metrics.

If you have a 16.666 ms frametime you can say your instant framerate is 60 frames per second before you have to wait the full second to pass.

Bluenoser

It is just me or is the performance worse on a base PS4 now? I'm getting massive drops that resemble HDD/Streaming problems more than CPU load but I'm not sure. Figured I'd check to see if its just me before I troubleshoot.

Skinpop

save it for later. I'd love to have an unplayed Dark Souls title for the time when my souls-withdrawal starts to set in.

Top Bottom