• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: Durango GPU detailed

KidBeta

Well if it's designed to play games, it's not that excessive. low power, laptop parts, lower memory bandwidth. Add to it that we already heard numerous times that there are going to be two xbox sku's.

This would make sense.

I bet developers will love to develop for two massively different Microsoft consoles for a small increase in user base..

Pistolero

It could be because you have made up a set of arbitrary rules where the specs but not the gap in them are free to be discussed. Its not rocket science that a thread about future tech and leaked specs would spread to those specs not leaked.
And if the leak is even accurate. I am only going on the history of the Internet here. So I could be wrong.

There is a sentiment of insecurity within some posters (not all of them, obviously) who dive into conclusions, oblivious to the evident lack of a complete set of information concerning both consoles.
See, mine is bigger than yours in the flaccid state...who cares about erect***s, really?

Jack_AG

Banned
It could be because you have made up a set of arbitrary rules where the specs but not the gap in them are free to be discussed. Its not rocket science that a thread about future tech and leaked specs would spread to those specs not leaked.
And if the leak is even accurate. I am only going on the history of the Internet here. So I could be wrong.

I'm not making up arbitrary rules. I'm avoiding hoping against hope. I only go by what I see not what I want to see.

Comparing A vs B, while we understand that A or B are not the 100%, is ok. But some people are arguing that yes or yes, at the end, Durango is almost a Wii U and PS4 is a top notch PC, even when some insiders have commented that both are very similar.

Link me those posts. Link me the posts that say that the Durango is the WiiU and the PS4 is a "top notch PC". I know what insiders comment on and what they tell me - I'm not stupid. I may be stuck in indie development (scripting, not hardcore shit) but I do have friends who I won't name here who are knee-deep in next-generation development. They don't tell me much but what they do tell me makes me think I won't be holding my breath for some unrealistic expectation.

Again, link me the posts who are comparing the D/O to WiiU/PC. If you don't - then you are just making shit up.

nbthedude

These stats make me pretty happy.

They largely indicate that games will probably be more optimized for my current PC to take advantage of it, but I'm also not going to have to upgrade anytime soon. win/win

Comparing A vs B, while we understand that A or B are not the 100%, is ok. But some people are arguing that yes or yes, at the end, Durango is almost a Wii U and PS4 is a top notch PC, even when some insiders have commented that both are very similar.

What orbis is far from top end pc what stuff are you taking man.
My dam laptop will be on all front be faster except on main ram then orbis.

ZaCH3000

E3 is going to be glorious. Y'all are just fighting in the gladiator pits right now, just wait until more and more information is teased before the E3 blowout its going to be like a melee battle in the Colosseum.

Can somebody clarify some details for me? Which system do we currently know more about because this Durango GPU reveal appears more detailed than the Orbis reveal? Also, wouldn't the "Move Engine" make sense as some kind of processing unit for Kinect2?

My deduction is Kinect2 is obviously going to need processing help and a some RAM to get it running properly. The Move Engine might simply be a supporting processing unit for Kinect2.

Also, y'all should take a timeout from this discussion and return in like 15 to reread what you guys are saying. This thread is derailing faster than a crazy train.

Link me those posts. Link me the posts that say that the Durango is the WiiU and the PS4 is a "top notch PC". I know what insiders comment on and what they tell me - I'm not stupid. I may be stuck in indie development (scripting, not hardcore shit) but I do have friends who I won't name here who are knee-deep in next-generation development. They don't tell me much but what they do tell me makes me think I won't be holding my breath for some unrealistic expectation.

Again, link me the posts who are comparing the D/O to WiiU/PC. If you don't - then you are just making shit up.

I explained, I was over exaggerating, it is just an example of the sense I have from some people.

Some "friends" have told me something, too ;)

What orbis is far from top end pc what stuff are you taking man.
My dam laptop will be on all front be faster except on main ram then orbis.

Mmm... Need I explain again? of course Durango is not a Wii U and PS4 is not a top notch PC.

Jack_AG

Banned
There is a sentiment of insecurity within some posters (not all of them, obviously) who dive into conclusions, oblivious to the evident lack of a complete set of information concerning both consoles.
See, mine is bigger than yours in the flaccid state...who cares about erect***s, really?

If you are talking about me why not go check my post history on how I feel the divide will pan out. Then come back and tell me i'm insecure.

In short - I've said it before and I'll say it again - I believe it will be close. Yep. That's it. People are expecting the PS4 to be head/shoulders above in the multiplat department and some people, even with evidence presented, believe that a lower-spec'd machine can out-perform a higher spec'd machine with similar architecture.

Sure we don't have anything to look at other than the tidbits of evidence presented - so that's pretty much all we have to go on - outside of people in the industry who comment. So we can only speculate on raw data that we have.

After all, this is a thread about the GPU leaks. Speculate and believe what you want - you don't have to ride the evidence - you can make your own, I guess.

E3 is going to be glorious. Y'all are just fighting in the gladiator pits right now, just wait until more and more information is teased before the E3 blowout.

Can somebody clarify some details for me? Which system do we currently know more about because this Durango GPU reveal appears more detailed than the Orbis reveal? Also, wouldn't the "Move Engine" make sense as some kind of processing unit for Kinect2?

My deduction is Kinect2 is obviously going to need processing help and a some RAM to get it running properly. The Move Engine might simply be a supporting processing unit for Kinect2.

Also, y'all should take a timeout from this discussion and return in like 15 to reread what you guys are saying. This thread is derailing faster than a crazy train.

Orbis as the rumored specs is almost completely revealed.
Durango only the GPU got exposed had hope that VG leaks would post some more info.

In the poll it still had.
*Move engines.
*audio block.
*Display planes.
*memory System.
*Video Compression.

Jack_AG

Banned
I explained, I was over exaggerating, it is just an example of the sense I have from some people.

Some "friends" have told me something, too ;)

So you purposefully over-exaggerated to support your claim? Nice to know you will bend information and throw people under the bus to help your dying argument. Uncool.

With that, I'm out of this thread. I will argue with all of you bros on the 20th and then again when the nextbox is shown.

If you are talking about me why not go check my post history on how I feel the divide will pan out. Then come back and tell me i'm insecure.

In short - I've said it before and I'll say it again - I believe it will be close. Yep. That's it. People are expecting the PS4 to be head/shoulders above in the multiplat department and some people, even with evidence presented, believe that a lower-spec'd machine can out-perform a higher spec'd machine with similar architecture.

Sure we don't have anything to look at other than the tidbits of evidence presented - so that's pretty much all we have to go on - outside of people in the industry who comment. So we can only speculate on raw data that we have.

After all, this is a thread about the GPU leaks. Speculate and believe what you want - you don't have to ride the evidence - you can make your own, I guess.

I have not said anything like this. But even it is not impossible at all, PS3 is more powerful than Xbox 360, but it have some bottlenecks.

So you purposefully over-exaggerated to support your claim? Nice to know you will bend information and throw people under the bus to help your dying argument. Uncool.

With that, I'm out of this thread. I will argue with all of you bros on the 20th and then again when the nextbox is shown.

It is just a way to explain things, if you don't like sorry.

Alright. Both consoles are straightforward.

PS4 will have 60fps games. Durango will have 30fps games.

Now somebody Kazify my avatar.

We're just trying to understand you is all. No need to take it to console warz mode.

The way you're carrying on i'll just assume you know something nobody else does that's going to be in the final hardware for 720. And will make "multiplat meltdowns."

I believe you. I'll just leave it at that.

Reiko

Banned
I have not said something like this. But even it is not impossible at all, PS3 is more powerful than Xbox 360, but it have some bottlenecks.

Hell... We even had games led on PS3 and the 360 performed better despite being the weaker system. But hey, this is all speculation. Some on GAF have already made up their minds.

We're just trying to understand you is all. No need to take it to console warz mode.

The way you're carrying on i'll just assume you know something nobody else does that's going to be in the final hardware for 720. And will make "multiplat meltdowns."

I believe you. I'll just leave it at that.

I was joking. Is it a sin to speculate?

:(

oldergamer

There was a lot of articles going around in November about a Microsoft xbox tv. The specs for the system we have seen points towards a set top box.

KidBeta

I have not said anything like this. But even it is not impossible at all, PS3 is more powerful than Xbox 360, but it have some bottlenecks.

Your comparing two different architectures there

With the next gen there the same godamn architecture how do people not see this

Hell... We even had games led on PS3 and the 360 performed better despite being the weaker system. But hey, this is all speculation. Some on GAF have already made up their minds.

All we can do now is to speculate.

Your comparing two different architectures there

With the next gen there the same godamn architecture how do people not see this

Cell is PowerPC based, the same than Xenon. All we know about CPU in PS4 and next Xbox is both are x86 based. Orbis is Jaguar, Durago is "x64".

I have not said something like this. But even it is not impossible at all, PS3 is more powerful than Xbox 360, but it have some bottlenecks.

I haven't seen you either, but others have.

First it was the secret sauce, that doesn't seem to be panning out and now it seems to be, 'well the specs may seem lower, but 7 years ago the PS3 turned out hard to develop for and that will happen again'.

Even though the specs of the two seem similar, and rumors suggest another PS3 situation isn't the case at all.

I haven't seen you either, but others have.

First it was the secret sauce, that doesn't seem to be panning out and now it seems to be, 'well the specs may seem lower, but 7 years ago the PS3 turned out hard to develop for and that will happen again'.

Even though the specs of the two seem similar, and rumors suggest another PS3 situation isn't the case at all.

Well, time (and games) will say all. I don't trust in "sauces", but I can't assure anything with the current info.

Karak

Oh I hear you. I just don't like random rules applied when the entire thing is conjecture. It doesn't make any valid sense at all to discuss leaked data with gaps and then not be able to discuss all the gaps. But I also hear that this same thing happened in other thread, pre release for other systems like the WiiU. So I am just new to all the random caveats about what can and can't be discussed. This thread is still better than most I have seen in a couple days across the INTERNET about this stuff.
It was the new IP thread where it got really bloody! :)

It is going to be an interesting year wow.

oldergamer

A 1.2TF GPU and an 8core CPU for a set top box?

Sorry but this is starting to sound like desperation.

Who's desperate. The hardware in the Durango diagrams that points to a set top box. Also it DOES play games. If this is part of MS designing a scalable architecture, it would make sense.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
New thread?

Starting to look like we're going to see 2 new Xbox's this year.

Xbox TV
Xbox 720

If MS can get the Xbox TV in the ~$149 price range, they'll have a real good chance of really penetrating the living room in a way that a Xbox 720, or PS4 never will. My guess would be something like $199 for Xbox TV at launch though, but we'll see. Also, all of this takes me back about a year and half ago when we first heard about 2 Xbox's..

Xbox Loop, then later...
Xbox Durango

Xbox Loop was the code name for a smaller, set top box oriented spinoff.

So are we to assume that the full Durango is a superset of the Xbox TV? That might explain the larger than usual reserved memory? I'm assuming MS wouldn't want to have developers make apps for two different platforms, just code once and run on both

Ding-Ding

Who's desperate. There hardware in the Durango diagrams that points to a set top box. Also it DOES play games. If this is part of MS designing a scalable architecture, it would make sense.

So what are you expecting exactly. That the real Durango is suddenly going to appear like a rabbit out of a hat?

It just seems like since Aegis & Proelite etc, marched everyone up a hill with the talk of "magic" inside Durango, alot of people are still clinging on to anything they can to stop what could be a bumpy ride back down to ground level

So are we to assume that the full Durango is a superset of the Xbox TV? That might explain the larger than usual reserved memory? I'm assuming MS wouldn't want to have developers make apps for two different platforms, just code once and run on both

Or maybe vgleaks are Durango specs and the Xbox TV is even weaker.

So what are you expecting exactly. That the real Durango is suddenly going to appear like a rabbit out of a hat?

It just seems like since Aegis & Proelite etc, marched everyone up a hill with the talk of "magic" inside Durango, alot of people are still clinging on to anything they can to stop what could be a bumpy ride back down to ground level

LoL...

EvB

Do you know why this generation lasted 8 years?

Do you think it's a drawback that tens of millions of parents won't buy their kids a new console every two years?

It had to in order to make sure the machine was profitable, if the console is under specced compared to orbis then I think it's safe to say it will cost less to produce, if they sell it for a similar price they will make more $ per unit,

If in 2 years time they get a faster CPU in there and a faster GPU/Ram or whatever, those costs are going to remain either static compared to the original hardware or possibly even be cheaper.
They can continue to sell the hardware at the same profitable price.

They could literally crush the whole concept of consol generations in one fell swoop.

Why would it need to be a drawback if the entire software portfolio worked on say the 3 most recent hardware revisions.

It could happen.

abadguy

Banned
Who's desperate. The hardware in the Durango diagrams that points to a set top box. Also it DOES play games. If this is part of MS designing a scalable architecture, it would make sense.

People are in full on console war mode now. The two console thing has been mentioned a number of times over the last few months and an MS insider mentioned it in the interview posted in this thread just a few posts back from this one. Whether or not these specs are for the Xbox set top thingie, i haven't the foggiest, but there has been talk of more than one xbox branded machine, that mush is sure.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Or maybe vgleaks are Durango specs and the Xbox TV is even weaker.

LoL...

No, that's what I meant. What we have now is the full next Xbox, and Xbox TV is a subset of that.

I wonder about the architecture though. If it was media only, they wouldn't need the full power of an Xbox, but would they literally have eg a four core jaguar CPU, tiny GPU just including the video acceleration and 4GB ram?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
People are in full on console war mode now. The two console thing has been mentioned a number of times over the last few months and an MS insider mentioned it in the interview posted in this thread just a few posts back from this one. Whether or not these specs are for the Xbox set top thingie, i haven't the foggiest, but there has been talk of more than one xbox branded machine, that mush is sure.

Xbox 361 and Durango.

Reiko

Banned

Wow. It's console war season definitely.

Lottes?

Since when did 33% became 50%.
50% is the growth not the difference.
1.2 is 66% of 1.8.

..... 15 is 50 percent more than 10, 18 is 50 percent more than 12.

Math is hard.

How about you give me 1200 + 600 dollars , I'll give you 1200 back then another 33 percent of that and we'll call it even ;) I'm up for repeating this as many times as you want and you get to say orbis gpu is 33 percent faster than durango gpu, deal?

As long as you don't turn around and claim you think durango has anything more than set top box grade hardware when it turns out these are the final specs and there is only one sku (hardware sku, not hdd size...) then you are allowed to claim it's not desperate.

Or maybe he can play some games while Merlin knock one off. I'm really sure Durango will have some great games, and they will not have "50%" less fun than another consoles.

Maybe he is hee because he is interested in Durango, and magic or not, he will enjoy it, maybe he is not here because he want the most powerful console.

This is a hardware speculation thread, go speculate about games in the threads for those 0 announced games for either system.

It seems that on this forum it is somehow not politically correct to think one piece of hardware is faster than another.
This 'let's wait' argument is contradictory to the purpose of this thread, if you don't want to think about what they are capable of then you can wait outside the thread...

leadbelly

Banned
Well, we will still see games on the console that are a considerable step up from most games currently available. I will probably only get the Sony console anyway.

God, I want you!

I didn't comment on the 360 version. Just the Apple one, which is better. It's also much faster, which is all I actually care about. Simple and fast. Paired to my iPad makes it even better.

You can use the iPhone version of Netflix to select your movie, etc and then tell it to play it on the PS3. Plus you can then choose subs, browse other titles/episodes on the iPhone whilst the content is playing via PS3. Really nice feature. Can't get it working using iPad but using iPhone it's a treat. Best of both worlds.

Dunno if the same works on 360 tho: dat paywall.

Fine, if you want to ignore the leaks we have seen so far and sit there waiting for Merlin to "knock one off" in Durango's direction, go ahead pal...

Or maybe he can play some games while Merlin knock one off. I'm really sure Durango will have some great games, and they will not have "50%" less fun than another consoles.

Maybe he is hee because he is interested in Durango, and magic or not, he will enjoy it, maybe he is not here because he want the most powerful console.

yurinka

You don't need 'magic' when you have tasty secret sauce.

Right now PS4 seems more powerful, but I have a friend who got their Kinect SDK overhauled 3 weeks before its E3 showcase (their game was demoed there). They were promised to have a beast capable to track 4 people and they couldn't even track properly 2 people.

Let's wait until we see the final consoles with final games running.

Top Bottom