• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks Durango specs: x64 8-core CPU @1.6GHz, 8GB DDR3 + 32MB ESRAM, 50GB 6x BD...

derFeef

And have their 'Siri' with Kinect. Already possible but much more dooable if every console comes with Kinect.

Well, let's go crazy and suggest a hardcore v casual crowd with two consoles sku.

X3 + Kinect 2 = $299
X3 + 500gb hd = $299

They can't do that - I would want to have both.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
no amount of windows apps running at the same time would need 2GB of RAM, right now in Windows 8 assuming they are using same Modern App system, you can run only two apps at the same time, any app not present on the screen goes into freeze state, unloaded from memory, basically taking next to no memory until it's restored again. Looking at my task manager right now basically all of metro apps are 'running' but take no memory unless you're using them on the screen. You can multitask and switch all you want, I'm not sure why their possible system in a console wouldn't be as efficient.

Interesting. So why do they put 2GB in their surface tablets? Is there a limit on how much memory a single app can use?

szaromir

Banned
Unless Kinect is the same hardware as Kinect 1, I just don't see a kinect-less Durango SKU. It would make no sense at all IMO (or for that matter neither would an HDD-less SKU).

no amount of windows apps running at the same time would need 2GB of RAM, right now in Windows 8 assuming they are using same Modern App system, you can run only two apps at the same time, any app not present on the screen goes into freeze state, unloaded from memory, basically taking next to no memory until it's restored again. Looking at my task manager right now basically all of metro apps are 'running' but take no memory unless you're using them on the screen. You can multitask and switch all you want, I'm not sure why their possible system in a console wouldn't be as efficient.

i dont remember the details, but bkilian posted once that console cant use "virtual memory" from the hard drive like pc's.

for some reason it's just forbidden on all consoles. something about predictable memory access.

it seemed to imply why durango reserved so much. it's ram or nothing.

Pooya

Interesting. So why do they put 2GB in their surface tablets? Is there a limit on how much memory a single app can use?

Windows RT has full desktop mode, it runs full version of Office 2013, preinstalled, exactly same as desktop. you need 2GB for that to use it effectively, Xbox console won't be running Microsoft Office. Windows RT is a perfect port of Windows 8 to ARM,

I read on that blog of that FXAA guy, he didn't know what Windows RT is, looks like a common misconception with this product! it doesn't run just metro, if you 'jailbreak' you can recompile desktop apps and run on it, MS just blocked it.

and of course an active app can take some memory, using xbox music app for example it can easily reach 300MB (it's a pretty bad, unoptimized app btw).

We already have some sort of Metro UI on the Xbox 360 with a lot less total system memory. I can't believe the Durango OS would even need 1gb to work flawlessly. As someone mentioned, Windows 8 is crafted for different types of hardware.

A Console is a closed, unified system with lots of optimisations and no unknown entities such as what type of software users install (that run in the background, that take up system memory etc) and on what kind of hardware they run their system.

TheOddOne

All I can up with is that it is some kind of back-up for future features they might add to the OS. This could mean more radical redesigns.

Pooya

i dont remember the details, but bkilian posted once that console cant use "virtual memory" from the hard drive like pc's.

for some reason it's just forbidden on all consoles. something about predictable memory access.

it seemed to imply why durango reserved so much. it's ram or nothing.

I imagine controlling what's cached on the disk isn't possible, you can monitor memory access and block unauthorized access and writes, but a hard drive for example can be manipulated externally quite easily by monitoring data and it's slow enough for implementing some system like that, writing something in the cache and then loaded into memory by the OS to jailbreak the security. makes sense, still I imagine they can use a built in flash based memory for caching.

All I can up with is that it is some kind of back-up for future features they might add to the OS. This could mean more radical redesigns.

Well the evolution of the 360 OS is also radical in a way, looking back how it was and how it is now. And all without sacrificing features (cross game chat, guide blades, custom music while in a game) and working with limited amounts of memory.

Pooya

http://www.examiner.com/article/firs...dead-developer

They are just drawings so don't get too excited but run the slide show.

lol

1359082964_1004_xbox_prestige_04.jpg

5ecec597ca793cf4dadf4df63f416a60.jpg

1359082964_5875_xbox_prestige_06.jpg

It runs faster and should be able to do amazing things, but it's still a hefty amount less than in Durango. And if that post I posted from sebbi is correct, most games have a "working set" of RAM ~3X what is used per frame.

So to me that fits a lot better with 5GB/2GB per frame than 3.5GB/3.5GB per frame.

If, lets say the ESRAM/other stuff can even get Durango up to the point where it can use it's memory just as fully as PS4, I'd be happy with that and call it a wash. I think one system with 50% more shaders and another with 43% more RAM are a wash, provided everything else is fairly equal, meaning provided that in the end Durango can basically use it's RAM just as well as PS4 can thx to it's helpers.

I also still have a funny feeling Orbis downgrades might be coming, just because Sony has a long history of screwing stuff up in an incredibly stupid manner. Imagine the shocker if they go back to 2GB. Not saying that'll happen, but I would say "that's Sony!" if they did.

Man, what are you going on about?

TheOddOne

Well the evolution of the 360 OS is also radical in a way, looking back how it was and how it is now. And all without sacrificing features (cross game chat, guide blades, custom music while in a game) and working with limited amounts of memory.
The problem with that is that features they added were very minimal, nothing really game changing and the baseline features stayed the same. At its core they were mostly visual refreshers, not real feature refreshers. The biggest thing I can remember them adding was install-to-harddrive feature. Instead now of a visual upgrade, they can radically change those baseline features and hopefully expand on those ideas.

All I wish is that Halo 2 demise (which they cite as holding back the friends list quota) was not in vain.

szaromir

Banned
The problem with that is that features they added were very minimal, nothing really game changing and the baseline features stayed the same. At its core they were mostly visual refreshers, not real feature refreshers. The biggest thing I can remember them adding was install-to-harddrive feature. Instead now of a visual upgrade, they can radically change those baseline features and hopefully expand on those ideas.
I think party chat was pretty huge, how it changed online gaming on the platform (not necessarily for the best mind you).

ekim

Those Mockup stuff isn't what's from turtle rock. They are old.
The drawings in the first 3 pics are the pics related to the news.

TheOddOne

I think party chat was pretty huge, how it changed online gaming on the platform (not necessarily for the best mind you).
Oh yeah, forgot about that. Think about those advancements, but on a more regular pace being added overtime without limitations. Could either be amazing or add nothing, we will see.

Margalis

Banned
And what, out of interest do you, draw from his writeup?
Would love to have more opinions on this.

To me the interesting part is bothering to do the math.

IMO his scenario is a bit of a best case one - efficiently streaming nearly everything. It's what you would aim for if you are making a large continuous game, but if you are making a small indie game it might load everything into memory, or load things a level at a time. Also in terms of bandwidth I didn't see anything about bandwidth consumed by say writing back, for example rendering on the GPU then having to resolve that texture to main memory, but that would make the end result lower available read bandwidth and lower required memory pool.

Basically the idea if that there is stuff you need right now, stuff you need soon, and stuff you won't need for a while. The stuff you need right now needs to fit in the available bandwidth, the stuff you need soon needs to fit into RAM, the stuff you need eventually can sit wherever.

If you increase the amount of RAM and decrease it's speed you are shrinking that amount of data that is available now and increasing the amount of data that is available soon. But if you need lower bandwidth because your aren't eating through that much data you should also have less data you need to cache as drawing a frame doesn't take that much bandwidth. So, in general, as you increase RAM amount you should increase bandwidth and vice-versa.

Which means either Orbis has too little room for cache and so can't make use of it's bandwidth because it has to go back to disk too much (Orbis also has a faster BR drive IIRC - could be why) or Durango has too little bandwidth to use it's RAM effectively. (Though to be fair eDRAM could change this in some ways)

Now, to be fair, if you have a lot of RAM relative to bandwidth that would accomodate rapidly changing scenes faster - scenes that have very fast movement, instant travel, scenes where the geometry can transform into a Dark World variant, etc. Having a lot of RAM also means you can get by with less efficient streaming and caching and spend more time on other stuff.

Edit: Never mind this edit, it didn't make a ton of sense!

To me the interesting part is bothering to do the math.

IMO his scenario is a bit of a best case one - efficiently streaming nearly everything. It's what you would aim for if you are making a large continuous game, but if you are making a small indie game it might load everything into memory, or load things a level at a time. Also in terms of bandwidth I didn't see anything about bandwidth consumed by say writing back, for example rendering on the GPU then having to resolve that texture to main memory, but that would make the end result lower available read bandwidth and lower required memory pool.

Basically the idea if that there is stuff you need right now, stuff you need soon, and stuff you won't need for a while. The stuff you need right now needs to fit in the available bandwidth, the stuff you need soon needs to fit into RAM, the stuff you need eventually can sit wherever.

If you increase the amount of RAM and decrease it's speed you are shrinking that amount of data that is available now and increasing the amount of data that is available soon. But if you need lower bandwidth because your aren't eating through that much data you should also have less data you need to cache as drawing a frame doesn't take that much bandwidth. So, in general, as you increase RAM amount you should increase bandwidth and vice-versa.

Which means either Orbis has too little room for cache and so can't make use of it's bandwidth because it has to go back to disk too much (Orbis also has a faster BR drive IIRC - could be why) or Durango has too little bandwidth to use it's RAM effectively. (Though to be fair eDRAM could change this in some ways)

Now, to be fair, if you have a lot of RAM relative to bandwidth that would accomodate rapidly changing scenes faster - scenes that have very fast movement, instant travel, scenes where the geometry can transform into a Dark World variant, etc. Having a lot of RAM also means you can get by with less efficient streaming and caching and spend more time on other stuff.

Why would it come down to this though? 4GBs seems like plenty.

Durante

Hardly a big mystery.

Running multiple high fidelity background apps at the same time (as a game)... even my phone has 2GB of ram...
But what applications would need to run at the same time as the game? Note, not just be accessible during the game, but run at the same time?

And if "high-fidelity background apps" are running at the same time as games, we need to consider their impact on CPU usage, caches and memory accesses as well as just their memory usage. And then you basically have a PC.

I still think there is some mystery there.

Sony and Microsoft are using the same partner and same generation of hardware this time though, there isn't any logical reason to suspect one part is noticeably more efficient than the other.

Comparing teraflops and compute units isn't about comparing a single metric either, as we all know AMD scale the entire pipeline up as they increase compute units. Yet this fact is constantly brushed over. The safest and most logical assumption would be that every other performance metric to do with the GPU is also around 50% faster. Considering we already know that main memory bandwidth ruins 300% faster and that Durango has fewer CPU resources dedicated to games, you're expecting an awful lot from 32MB of eSRAM, " data move engines" and some low level tweaks to the same GPU architecture if you think Durango is even going to be in the same ballpark as Orbis.

Let's play devil's advocate here though and assume those tweaks really were so incredible that they overcame such a massive deficit. If that's the case then why were they not offered to Sony? Why have they never appeared on the PC before? And why are we writing off the fact that Sony have performed custom tweaks of their own?

A lot of people tout the fact that more engineers worked on Microsoft's project but that was always going to be the case. Microsoft don't have nearly as many hardware engineers with years of experience designing consoles and SOCs, they rely on their partners to provide the " glue" that links the main components. Sony can do most of that work inhouse like they have always done.

The things keeping AMD from running to Sony or vice versa are contractual law, confidentiality agreements, and I'm sure conflict of interest disputes. To say that the Microsoft/AMD team stumbled onto some sort of architecture that is light years above what has been done so far is a stretch, but if that is the case, saying that AMD would run to the Sony camp and tell them is even more ridiculous. Microsoft wouldn't allow it and if it did happen Microsoft would sue the pants off of AMD.

Also, Aegeis has already pointed out that there are certain aspects to the PS3 and 360 that took over a year to come to PCs. These are highly customized architectures that are made to do less than a PC. It is not far fetched to believe that the technology that goes into them are not available to PCs and the public yet.

Edit: Less = not as many functions. Media device =/= home PC type of thing. (this probably makes it more confusing)

Withnail

But what applications would need to run at the same time as the game? Note, not just be accessible during the game, but run at the same time?

And if "high-fidelity background apps" are running at the same time as games, we need to consider their impact on CPU usage, caches and memory accesses as well as just their memory usage. And then you basically have a PC.

I still think there is some mystery there.

Let's say you want a console that is capable of performing all the following during gameplay

Kinect body tracking of multiple people simultaneously (i.e. Kinect system resources are from the reserved pool, not taken from the game).
+ second screen functionality (tablet or phone)
+ internet music streaming as a custom soundtrack
+ IE with multiple loaded tabs
+ facebook/twitter/hotmail push notifications
+ gameplay video encoding and capture
+ DVR functions
+ the basic OS stuff such as Skype voice chat and messaging

Then I think 3GB RAM and 2 CPU cores is realistic.

We already have some sort of Metro UI on the Xbox 360 with a lot less total system memory. I can't believe the Durango OS would even need 1gb to work flawlessly. As someone mentioned, Windows 8 is crafted for different types of hardware.

A Console is a closed, unified system with lots of optimisations and no unknown entities such as what type of software users install (that run in the background, that take up system memory etc) and on what kind of hardware they run their system.

You rather be safe than sorry. Look at how slow the 360 UI got over the years. It was very snappy with the blades UI. But after that, it kept getting slower.

szaromir

Banned
You rather be safe than sorry. Look at how slow the 360 UI got over the years. It was very snappy with the blades UI. But after that, it kept getting slower.
I remember the blades UI being very slow at first actually, then the 2007 spring update sped it up nicely IIRC.

Margalis

Banned

What does it mean for an app to be "accessible" during a game?

Is it sitting in RAM in the background doing nothing? That's what I assume happens on WiiU - you can leave the browser open while you play a game and the browser is just sitting there, using no CPU but using RAM. That would explain why there is 1 gig reserved for OS and why you can only have one app open at once. (On a side note, I hate the term "OS" here...) That would also explain why launching an app is slow but going back to a launched app is much faster. (Spitballing here a little)

Is it accessible in that you can launch it from scratch? Ok, but then you need to launch it from scratch, you aren't just pausing it. Which means the exact state is presumably lost, you have to boot the app and/or load the app from some place.

Is it accessible in that it's memory is dumped to disk when not in use and read back later? Disk is probably too slow for that. Flash RAM also too slow.

In addition, although that recent fake leak was fake, the idea of something like video chat in the corner of a game, streaming your game in real-time, etc, seems very much in line with someone MS would do. In that case the app would be both running and using memory in parallel to the game.

That would be a lot closer to a PC, but MS is moving more towards a services / set top box, so that isn't out of the question. There would still be a certain amount of memory and memory bandwidth and cores reserved just for games - it wouldn't be completely variable like on a PC.

Kydd BlaZe

Let's say you want a console that is capable of performing all the following during gameplay

Kinect body tracking of multiple people simultaneously (i.e. Kinect system resources are from the reserved pool, not taken from the game).
+ DVR functions

This seems pretty sensible.

That is basically just a beefier dual shock with the joysticks placed there. I would much rather microsoft keep the 360 controller and offer minimal corrections such as the d-pad.

oh crap, you're right. I don't know why but I thought the sticks were in the same position as they are on on the 360 controller. silly me for forgetting to click the picture.

Pooya

no one talks about the CPU, really is this, a low entry, low end laptop level CPU, going to be enough? all the tech demos we saw last year were on ultra high end Core i7s.
specially only two core of it for handling stuff like this:

+ DVR functions

programming and synchronizing 6-7 threads are going to be really painful too, specially for low performance cores like this, task scheduling isn't trivial at all. it's not like you can easily scale up things linearly, looks like you would need really careful utilization here to get acceptable performance and not bottleneck the game by CPU.

JaggedSac

no one talks about the CPU, really is this, a low entry, low end laptop level CPU, going to be enough? all the tech demos we saw last year were on ultra high end Core i7s.
specially only two core of it for handling stuff like this:

Isn't that what the audio and video processors are for? Alleviating a lot of CPU resources.

Top Bottom