• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks Durango specs: x64 8-core CPU @1.6GHz, 8GB DDR3 + 32MB ESRAM, 50GB 6x BD...

Never mind secret sauce, if confirmed that GPU is weak sauce, in 2013, they've still skimped on a full fat 256bit bandwidth GPU...unbelievable.

PS4/Orbis pisses all over this as far as I'm concerned.

Spongebob

Banned
Looks as though steviep was right about a lot of these things.

Next-gen graphics will disappoint many here.

something tells me all these leaks have no truth to them and that we are being mislead my Microsoft.-_-

Moe the specs are disappointing and we're just going to have to deal with it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What if they were able to get it to work with *every* DVR/Cable box out there that has HDMI out? Theoretically, it can be done :)

not possible. You'd have a few tiers of experience.

- basic overlay, VOD services like Netflix. All DVRs should support this, you're just passing stuff through
+ combined EPG. This would require MS to license TV listings per country, and the channel listings per DVR manufacturer/local area. Not guaranteed 100% coverage but should be ok for most major markets
+DVR channel changing: Doable for things like Tivo etc. Needs LAN controllable DVR boxes and they are still a bit thin on the ground. Much better experience, but much less global penetration
+ local recordings search and playback: least widely supported but the ultimate experience.

the tech press and the 1% will love it and shout about it on blogs etc which may create attraction though, and that might be enough. Maybe MS just want to spoil Apple's party and have no major marketshare expectations based on this and just want the halo, and will still produce great first party games etc.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
But Durango isn't based on 77xx....

based on estimated performance given what we know.

i updated the image, turns out passmark is a terrible GPU metric:

jgMDftxnri6I.png

I...Can't argue with that. I loved the 360 back in 2005 but this...I'm disappointed.

I just hope Epic's next big IP delivers.

360 came out a year before PS3 and managed to hold its own so well you know? I always thought that if MS and Sony released at the same time it would be more interesting than this.

It's hard to explain, because the only explanation is that MS is gunning for that "blue ocean" market. But it's such a bad move for them...

Looks like the specs meets the expectations of posters with more conservative expectations. It is still much more powerful than the current-gen, though.

DieH@rd

Banned
Such practices are illegal, they would never get together for coffee and discussing their ogilopolistic tactics. That said, there was probably a bit of nudging from devs and unspoken understanding going on. As for Nintendo, they boxed themselves out of the game. It's not MS or Sonys problem if Nintendo wants to make hardware a generation behind the curve

Yes, original rumor stated that big 3rd party players talked separately to Sony and MS and asked for very similar [and powerful] consoles. I will try to dig it up.

meta4

Aren't both Wii U and PS3 selling sub 20k units a week compared to 3DS which is doing six figures a week?

WiiU is doing horrible in Europe as well. Not sure about US. Every console sold is important to gain market share so Japan is still important. We shall see how the next gen consoles do in that region soon enough.

charsace

Remember last gen. Epic managed to convince MS to change their system so it could properly support UE3 as they were showing it off, they may not have been successful this time around (wasn't the PS3 also meant to have 256mb of RAM that was changed after the 360 had 512mb?).

I'm gonna guess and say you're wrong. UE3 was designed with PC in mind. Epic's engine is the most popular one for big budget multiplatform games. Why would they design another engine with just PC in mind? Everything that the UE4 can do will run on the next consoles. You don't spend time and money on something that will not fit the needs of your customers. What do you think R&D is for? Devs have had some form of development kit since 2010. And I would imagine some have had an idea of what the next systems would do even before that. Its in the best interest of these companies that they work together.

Margalis

Banned
If only you could combine the purple blocks of Durango with the GPGPU and audio DSP of the WiiU. That would probably be the best system ever, running off the infinite power of hopes and dreams.

We shall see how the next gen consoles do in that region soon enough.

My crystal ball says cloudy with a chance of terrible.

WiiU is doing horrible in Europe as well. Not sure about US. Every console sold is important to gain market share so Japan is still important. We shall see how the next gen consoles do in that region soon enough.
Global marketshare only matters for games that sell well globally which are very few outside of Nintendo's games. I doubt Activision and EA care that PS3 has a 30x bigger install base in Japan than 360 when they decide on what games to put on them.

StevieP

Banned
But we have already seen next gen launch graphics.

There will be a huge improvement on current gen console graphics, sure. However there are certain things you need to take into consideration when making that statement.

The SW 1313 that you saw was running on a high end computer that featured an Intel i7 CPU with 3 x GTX 680s. Compromises will have to be made, as is always the case with consoles.

charsace said:
Everything that the UE4 can do will run on the next consoles

Yes, but - "Everything that UE4 can do" has changed (not for the better)

Kenka

Ahahahhahahahahaha.
I think he is talking about architecture similarities, rather than RAM quantity or clock frequencies. Which is vastly important in the context of multi-plateform development. If these specs are true, I would suggest they are good news for WiiU owners that want to play third-party games (at last).

Won't next generation consoles be HSA capable? If so, then direct comparisons to current PCs might be misguided. From what I understand (and admittedly, I understand very little about this), heterogeneous system architecture could provide a major boost to efficiency/performance. I mean... I see no reason why these systems wouldn't be capable of HSA.

Reiko

Banned
There will be a huge improvement on current gen console graphics, sure. However there are certain things you need to take into consideration when making that statement.

SW 1313 was running on a high end computer that featured an Intel i7 CPU with 3 x GTX 680s. Compromises will have to be made, as is always the case with consoles.

Just resolution. And IQ will take a reasonable hit.

EVIL

GCN @ 800mhz w/12CU, so slightly better than 7770 (by 2 CUs) but downclocked by 50mhz. Also running on DDR3 (whereas those benches have GDDR5, much faster), however with a 32mb ESRam buffer. So take that as you will.

Well... UE4, unfortunately... How much do you like baked lighting? :p

StevieP
Doesn't actually understand technology or have insider info.
(Today, 05:18 PM)

Correct. But smoke and mirrors do and always will come to play with consoles. How's baked lighting sound? :)

The SE demo already had baked lighting , i don't know about others but i see people get close to SE demo .

Any way on to specs , seem to be what we already know of .
Not bad now it's time to see the games.

based on estimated performance given what we know.

i updated the image, turns out passmark is a terrible GPU metric:

jgMDftxnri6I.png

Orbis gpu isn't a 7850 either, it's lower clocked with less CUs. Durange gpu is still 50 percent slower though, but compared to gtx 680 the orbis gpu compares (even) less favorably than the 7850 in that chart.

Also, isn't the P score the combination of GPU and cpu scores in 3d mark? you want the graphics score not the total system score, the gap would be even wider if the cpu tests aren't counted.

Spongebob

Banned
Durango will have less CUs, less ROPs, less TMUs.

Same CPU, but Orbis will have a compute module to assist with GPGPU and physics. Also probably less cores dedicated to OS.

5GB DDR3 68GB/s + 32MB ESRAM 102GB/s vs 3.5GB GDDR5 192GB/s

What am I missing proelite, please tell me!

Isnt the Durango cpu a custom 8850, which is supposed to be a rebranded 7850?

BS from China.

I'm okay with these specs.

PGR4 is a stunning game still, and a system with 5-8 times the power well pump out some impressive games.

I'll be there day zero if this launches at $399 or below.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I dunno. If anything this generation has shown is that software is way more important than hardware.

These specs are going to allow developers to do some amazing things. If Durango is X% better than Orbis it doesn't mean anything at the end of the day. Sony and MS don't need high end specs to sell 70 million consoles. They need blockbuster gaming experiences to drive sales. Think Gears of War when 360 came out. The software matters much more than the hardware.

Eideka

Banned
SW 1313 was running on a high end computer that featured an Intel i7 CPU with 3 x GTX 680s. Compromises will have to be made, as is always the case with consoles.

I assume you are far more knowledgeable than me regarding tech, so could you please explain to me how SW1313 needs 3 GTX680s ?

Globox_82

Banned
Orbis gpu isn't a 7850 either, it's lower clocked with less CUs. Durange gpu is still 50 percent slower though, but compared to gtx 680 the orbis gpu compares (even) less favorably than the 7850 in that chart.

dude Eurogamer was speculating about PS4 gpu, no one knows Orbis and Durntula specs 100%. wait for official stuff.

StevieP

Banned
StevieP
Doesn't actually understand technology or have insider info.
(Today, 05:18 PM)

If you'd like to tag quote me, have a look through my post history.

Eideka said:
I assume you are far more knowledgeable than me regarding tech, so could you please explain to me how SW1313 needs 3 GTX680s ?

Don't assume anything - you're better off asking the developers of the game than me. The fact that 1313 was running on 3xGTX680s was double-checked on GAF recently even.

charsace

Just resolution. And IQ will take a reasonable hit.

People are pretty much ignoring that devs have been showing off what nextgen games will look and what effects they will do. The IQ will take a hit and some effects will be lowered, but a lot of other things like character models will look like what we have seen out of watch dogs, star wars, and the tech demos.

big_erk

Business reasons primarily. Which is a shame. I've got a WiiU and would love to see 'em but I really doubt we will.

I agree, there really is no reason downports are not possible aside from 3rd parties being apprehensive. I know I will eventually have all 3 consoles, but I would like the option to play my games on whichever of the 3 I would like. The Wii U has some unique features that would make certain games desirable on that platform, even with a graphical compromise.

Top Bottom