• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks Durango specs: x64 8-core CPU @1.6GHz, 8GB DDR3 + 32MB ESRAM, 50GB 6x BD...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Nope, only MS can. They are special aka there is always a way to spin things

or, thats why their console appears to be less powerful, ie a trade-off in power vs. efficiency? all along people have been saying that the two have taken 2 different approaches to get to (roughly) the same goal.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
If the architecture doesn't allow you to reach 100%, and you only manage to reach 60 because of it

There's no such single number. The utilisation achieved depends on the software you put against these machines. In closed boxes in particular. Of course you can have bottlenecks, you can make it a lot harder to make good use of resources, but this isn't 'my first gpu'. These are quite refined components as is. Both Sony and MS know how to balance their system as well as possible to maximise what they've put in there, what to put around their GPUs to allow as high utilisation as possible in more cases. There's a good reason Microsoft isn't putting more than 12 CUs in there. Equally there's a good reason Sony is using GDDR5 with theirs.

This is a repeat of the whole xbox 1.5 things.

1)Games won't look that much better than this gen arguments.

2)Sony system crushes the MS system arguments.

These will be forever reincarnated now won't they?

Don't have to be a fanboy to be dissapointed in both systems (I have no horses in this race I'm a pc gamer first, a psp gamer second and a console gamer third).

Also xbox 360 released barely 4 years after xbox 1, this time it's an 8 year gap and pc tech will be more than a gen ahead of these rumored specs by the time they release.
Can you really blame me (or others) for expecting more?

Now I just hope the prices are low, 299 is about the max I'd pay for a (by Q2 2013 when the 8xxx series releases) a 150 euro gpu and netbook cpu in a closed box.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't watch basketball.

In terms of F1 drivers, who would they be?

Orbis - Kimi Raikkonen.
Durango - Jenson Button: gets the most out of his hardware through smooth efficient driving
WiiU - Pastor Maldonado (sorry, had to)

That looks like cg to you? It looks like this gen game in 1080p on my pc to me.

Incredible that such a small gif looks like a 1080p game to you.

There's no such single number. The utilisation achieved depends on the software you put against these machines. In closed boxes in particular. Of course you can have bottlenecks, you can make it a lot harder to make good use of resources, but this isn't 'my first gpu'. These are quite refined components as is. Both Sony and MS know how to balance their system as well as possible to maximise what they've put in there, what to put around their GPUs to allow as high utilisation as possible in more cases. There's a good reason Microsoft isn't putting more than 12 CUs in there. Equally there's a good reason Sony is using GDDR5 with theirs.

You missed the point. Last gen devs weren't able of using 100% of Xenos, because of bottlenecks. I don't understand why you're talking about Orbis and Durango.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
okay so based on all the back and forths and hints from 'insiders' and journalists and the leaks im pretty sure that both the xbox 720 and playstation 4 are in fact THE SAME CONSOLE yes that's right they're the same a partnership for the ages you won't believe it

but there's a catch

you have to buy an xbox 360 and a playstation 3 and then you HOOK THEM UP to UNLOCK the playbox 724 its already out there you can buy it NOW you just dont KNOW

this is the only rational answer based on all the leaks

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
You people have no idea what you are in for. I can garuntee you both systems will be beasts at what they do. However they will excel in certain areas. I keep saying this again-and-again-and-again.
I support this notion. Unfortunately, I have yet to see any rumors or leaks describing this in detail. The specs provided by VGLeaks don't propel us nearer the facts either. We can only wait for official words from Microsoft and Sony. Hopefully they will start talking soon.

You guys are crazy.

We were complaining about the possibility of having 1.5/2gb of ram, thinking 4-8 was impossibile.

Now that we are going to get those 4-8 gb, everything suddenly feels like shit xD

And I don't believe for a second that MS will let Sony have a GPU that much better. No way.

aegies

okay so based on all the back and forths and hints from 'insiders' and journalists and the leaks im pretty sure that both the xbox 720 and playstation 4 are in fact THE SAME CONSOLE yes that's right they're the same a partnership for the ages you won't believe it

but there's a catch

you have to buy an xbox 360 and a playstation 3 and then you HOOK THEM UP to UNLOCK the playbox 724 its already out there you can buy it NOW you just dont KNOW

I have a gut feeling about at least one of the next gen consoles using their predecessor as a client for ... something. That's just me spitballing though.

Hrothgar

You people have no idea what you are in for. I can garuntee you both systems will be beasts at what they do. However they will excel in certain areas. I keep saying this again-and-again-and-again.

People don't like it when you state the obvious, they want intrigue.

statham

but there's a catch

http://microsoftsony.com/

ghst

thanks for the laugh
What extra hardware are you reffering too?

I think the extra hardware is

1. Audio chip (its on diagram)
2. DMA engine (ditto). On B3D someone say this is to copy memory from DDR3 to ESRAM faster for tiling.
3. ??? (something "fixed function", indications are probably minor)

Which of the 3 exactly is the wonder chip, and how? I dont really see it.

especially when you consider the CPU. i know we're bogged down in GPU talk, but if two cores are devoted to OS/background/kinect purposes, six jaguar cores is an extremely mediocre amount of crunching power and will surely be offloading tasks to those ethereal purple wonder chips.

GlamFM

Banned
I have a gut feeling about at least one of the next gen consoles using their predecessor as a client for ... something. That's just me spitballing though.

Spongebob gets his cable box, it´s actually a 360 in another package right?

Caramuru

Neo Member
360 came out a year before PS3 and managed to hold its own so well you know? I always thought that if MS and Sony released at the same time it would be more interesting than this.

It's hard to explain, because the only explanation is that MS is gunning for that "blue ocean" market. But it's such a bad move for them...

It's a bad move for us, gamers. I think it's an awesome move for them, the company itself.

Ashes

Banned

x720 to use X360 as cloud computer host?

Ha ha. That would be all kinds of... interesting.

abadguy

Banned
Ding ding ding ding. Fanboys eat your heart yout.

Cool, too bad we seem to be in the "XBOX 1.5" stage of the gen. I can't wait to see games running on these consoles. I wonder if Samaritan will be a thing next gen. Gears started off as a UE3 tech demo didn't it?

In terms of footballers:

Orbis=Ronaldo
Durango=Falcao
WiiU=Matri/Mario Gomez

PC=Messi

Ah... duuuuuh

aduhbwuyo.gif

Maxrunner

Your PC is crippled by an old GPU.
Orbis will beat the shit out of it.

I wonder what vga will i go for next. My brother has the amd top of the line. its the 7970 right?I'm going for an nvidia this time. considering the linux driver support. maybe the 660ti?

I believe these are accurate, though, again, the extra hardware they don't explain will play a major part in what Durango does. I've also heard from reliable sources that the GPU CUs are super-efficient, with an aim for almost 100 percent usage at all times. The 360 hit around 60 percent, I understand. Like I've said previously, context is going to be really important for both systems.

Anything in the released specs that you can say played a part in you wishing you had a Software Engineers understanding of the system or do you just mean in general.

That's a really good comparison actually, from my understanding at least. Kuwabara has that hidden potential.

That's what I was going for.

Orbis/Yusuke has the up front brute force. Durango/Kuwabara has the hidden potential and is better than the spec would have you think. Wii U/Keiko is cute.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Maybe your grandma won't be able to tell the difference, but regular gamers certainly should.

Not so sure, I'm running a 2.5TF gaming PC and sure games look nice and full 1080P on it, but nowhere near the "CGI look" some here aspire the leap to be. It's hard to see how a 1.3TF box could change that, written to the metal (lol) or not. With these specs and powerful PCs I predict tears in E3.

Top Bottom