• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: PlayStation 4 "Orbis" Roadmap

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Technically not impressive. The power gap between Wii U to PS4 seems to be like PS2 to Gamecube.

And this is good! It is the only way Sony has a chance to survive in console business.
michael-jordan-lol.gif

If they are actually releasing the PS4 in the last quarter of this year, then there is a very real possibility we'll see Uncharted 4 unveiled at E3. That in itself would probably convince me to buy one at launch, assuming it isn't wildly overpriced. Exciting times.

lantus

As much as I hope the PS4 is capable of producing stellar image quality in games, I hope that doesn't mean Sony will bypass innovating with hardware as well. I think getting just a beast version of a PS3 would kind of leave me wanting in the end.

rdrr gnr

If you try to make fun of someone's post history (like a 12 year old) then that's a pretty weak post to do it with...
That post is absolutely delusional -- as are many in his post history. Oh, and looking at previous statements to assess facetiousness or sarcasm is child-like? I'll take that into account. Thanks, Coolwhip.

Verendus

Banned
I'm no technical expert, but does this mean Wii U is going to be left out in the cold again for the most part like the Wii? Is the gap that significant between Durango/Orbis and Wii U is what I mean?

The specifications of Durango and Orbis seem quite comparable, whilst Wii U seems...lacking a lot.

I'm no technical expert, but does this mean Wii U is going to be left out in the cold again for the most part like the Wii? Is the gap that significant between Durango/Orbis and Wii U is what I mean?

The specifications of Durango and Orbis seem quite comparable, whilst Wii U seems...lacking a lot.

Let's just say if these Durango/Orbis specs are true, Wii U is fucked. (Ports wise)

That was the point. I think MSFT & Sony along with the biggest developers have decided to push Nintendo out of the market by starvation. Why? cause the Nintendo Wii scared the fuck out of them.

stryke

Pretty much.

So 720 is considerably more powerful, I imagine devs would have trouble creating cross-platform games with these two

Have you been reading the thread at all? Or even the OP?

Jburton

Banned
Technically not impressive. The power gap between Wii U to PS4 seems to be like PS2 to Gamecube.

And this is good! It is the only way Sony has a chance to survive in console business.

You obviously don't know what you are talking about or are being sarcastic.

Wii U has not shown it's full potential yet but if MS and Sony aim for really strong consoles then they will have a generational leap. Lookout for multiplatforms on Ps4/X720/Pc/WiiU/Ps3/X360.

1 Game, 6 Platforms. Berieve!

Orayn

Let's just say if these Durango/Orbis specs are true, Wii U is fucked. (Ports wise)

I think the prognosis is still bad, but in a different way than before. The Wii U is way behind in terms of horsepower, yes, but it's at least compliant with most of the same standards (shader model equivalent, features in the system's API), as opposed to the Wii lacking basic features like programmable shaders.

Verendus

Banned
That was the point. I think MSFT & Sony along with the biggest developers have decided to push Nintendo out of the market by starvation. Why? cause the Nintendo Wii scared the fuck out of them.
Pretty much.
Disappointing, if that's the case.

I don't understand why Nintendo didn't see this coming. Surely, with all the momentum gained from the Wii, it would have been wise to go all out like Sony/Microsoft with a Wii 2 instead of some tablet hybrid called Wii U.

Seems like Nintendo is really lacking in foresight. It made sense for them to try something radically different with Wii. Not so much this time.

Well if the specs for both consoles are real I'm kind of disappointed. Kind of because I actually expected them to be 'not so strong', specially Sony's console, after all the money they've been losing (considering all of Sony's business).

But I like it that Durango probably has 8GB of RAM. 4GB for the Orbis sounds too low imo.

rdrr gnr

Well if the specs for both consoles are real I'm kind of disappointed. Kind of because I actually expected them to be 'not so strong', specially Sony's console, after all the money they've been losing (considering all of Sony's business).

But I like it that Durango probably has 8GB of RAM. 4GB for the Orbis sounds too low imo.
Think again.

didn't really read thread.

OP also made it clear with select paragraphs and explanations.

Reiko

Banned
Sure, but I meant more in terms of having it look anywhere near in the same ballpark.

Games that feature realtime lighting effects would take a HUGE drop in quality if ported. Baking everything would actually be more expensive.

Those ports might as well not exist.

How come in every next-gen speculation thread everyone ignores the Sony patent with the GPGPU architecture? Is it because it's possibly a TV design?

Disappointing, if that's the case.

I don't understand why Nintendo didn't see this coming. Surely, with all the momentum gained from the Wii, it would have been wise to go all out like Sony/Microsoft with a Wii 2 instead of some tablet hybrid called Wii U.

Seems like Nintendo is really lacking in foresight. It made sense for them to try something radically different with Wii. Not so much this time.

nintendo has been staying out of the "power" race for a long time.
they didn't adopt cd's when they arrived (n64), they didn't adopt dvd's when they appeared (gamecube), they didn't adopt online gaming when it first showed up (wii) and this time with the wiiU, despite going with a "bluray" for the physical media and having features like a decent online platform (decent is actually kind of a stretch because tying purchases to hw is something neither sony or microsoft did, ever if i'm not mistaken) and having a few new features on the gamepad, they've yet again delivered 2012 hardware that won't be much of a leap against ps360 raw power wise.
i mean, just look at the ram amount. you can look at the ps4 rumors and say "well, 4gb of really fast ram is nice" or the nextbox rumors and say "oh, 8gb of decent speed ram is nice", and we don't know how much will be OS reserved for these machines, but 1gb of ddr3 ram on the wiiU dedicated for games? that's pathetic.
it's nintendo's fault, again, that they won't see 3rd party support for that machine.

You do realize that in terms of RAM, Sony's is "stronger" than Microsoft's, right?

Both are very powerful consoles so I don't see where the disappointment is coming from.

In simple terms, it's like having 8 250ml water bottles, or 4 500ml water bottle. Which one will you get? Depends on your carrying/drinking habits. Both are equally powerful.

VanWinkle

You do realize that in terms of RAM, Sony's is "stronger" than Microsoft's, right?

Both are very powerful consoles so I don't see where the disappointment is coming from.

In simple terms, it's like having 8 250ml water bottles, or 4 500ml water bottle. Which one will you get? Depends on your carrying/drinking habits. Both are equally powerful.

Excellent analogy and very true.

spwolf

if they have 8 GB and 4 GB, then great...

I dont know what will they do with 8GB of RAM... is it going to be using Win8? Easy development including apps and "porting" of Windows games? Hence 1.5 GB needed for OS.

PS3 OS will probably use half of that if not even less. Good for performance. Harder development porting from Windows.

It will be interesting if Microsoft went with more but lower powered cores this time around, because that was the biggest problem Sony had before - developers finding it hard to make their games optimized for multicore cell.

Its cool that they went different paths though, otherwise what would we discuss for years to come...

VanWinkle

I think what's really important here, and I'm sure it's been mentioned a million times, is the fact that the 720 and PS4 are using relatively similar architecture, so ports should be of much closer quality.

Top Bottom