• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vice: Meet the Female Gamer Born of Anti-Feminist Internet Drama

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I guess we disagree. I think there's a real difference between "sexualizing" something (i.e. making changes specifically to highlight sexual features and to get a sexual rise out of the viewer) and making something "more attractive" (i.e. increasing aspects of beauty that are pleasing to the eye and are not necessarily aimed at getting a sexual rise out of the viewer).

Or is this such a walk-on-eggshells industry now that we can't have attractive women? Even though real women in real life make the independent choice to "sexualize" themselves all the time, no fictional woman can be even a little bit beautiful or a little bit "sexual" without catching flak? It's almost as sexist of a stance as those who attack feminists within the game industry.
Every critique is not an indictment. Its possible to point something like this out and not be saying "burn it with fire to the ground for its filthiness". The poster just found her design in that case to be annoying

You understand that attraction is a measure of sexual desirability, yes?
To a degree, sure. But you said "sexualized", not "increased attraction as a measure of sexual desirability". I apologize if I misunderstood your nuance, but "sexualized" carries a negative connotation in most circles.

And yes a fictional woman can be beautiful BUT the artist took a character specifically designed to be an everywoman normal person and made her a model.
I 100% agree with you. They made her look more like a model. I just don't make the leap between what you said above and "well sexualizing her didn't take long"

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I guess we disagree. I think there's a real difference between "sexualizing" something (i.e. making changes specifically to highlight sexual features and to get a sexual rise out of the viewer) and making something "more attractive" (i.e. increasing aspects of beauty that are pleasing to the eye and are not necessarily aimed at getting a sexual rise out of the viewer).

Like I said, I don't think she was designed to be explicit or to titillate, but her design has definitely been modified (to fit the mecha/anime design, perhaps).

The concept of sexualization isn't necessarily an inherent negative. it's a change in a design that emphasizes sexual traits compared to the original.

Or is this such a walk-on-eggshells industry now that we can't have attractive women? Even though real women in real life make the independent choice to "sexualize" themselves all the time, no fictional woman can be even a little bit beautiful or a little bit "sexual" without catching flak? It's almost as sexist of a stance as those who attack feminists within the game industry.

Well, uh, the whole point of her original character was to be an 'everywoman', hence the irritation at the change?

DrSlek

You forgot the part where /v/ never collectively tried to bully or harass anyone here. Not saying /v/ users are saints, but most of them just want to call people out on their bullshit.

Every time I have a look /v/ is actively telling people not to harass the people involved.

HGStormy

Banned
tumblr_naysogEFtE1r3dufqo1_1280.jpg

That art though.

Holy shit. That's awesome.

Aselith

I 100% agree with you. They made her look more like a model. I just don't make the leap between what you said above and "well sexualizing her didn't take long"

But that's not all the artist did. Thigh-high stocking were also added which carry a specifically sexual connotation and her knees are unnaturally pushed together in front of her crotch. Doing something like that from an artistic point of view draws attention to what's behind it sort of like showing a character covering their mouth draws attention to the mouth.

DrSlek

It seems like the goal of /v/ is to prove to the public that they don't hate feminism, they just hate Zoe Quinn, specifically. As evident by their claims that she owes all of her success as a game developer to the publicity she got from being harassed on Steam greenlight, among other things. Am I getting this right? I'm not sure what the odds of Depression Quest getting greenlit were like prior to when she started tweeting about getting threatening phonecalls.

I recall reading that Depression Quest was rejected from Greenlight a couple of times prior to the harrassment. However I've also read that she submitted Depression Quest twice for Greenlight and pulled it twice due to being unable to cope with harassment as a result of the submission. I've not been bothered to actually do any research into the matter, as up until the past couple of days not much of this has interested me.

Can a game even be "rejected" from Greenlight?

Corpekata

Banned
I recall reading that Depression Quest was rejected from Greenlight a couple of times prior to the harrassment. However I've also read that she submitted Depression Quest twice for Greenlight and pulled it twice due to being unable to cope with harassment as a result of the submission. I've not been bothered to actually do any research into the matter, as up until the past couple of days not much of this has interested me.

Can a game even be "rejected" from Greenlight?

No, it can't.You either get greenlit or wait for the next months batch of greenlit titles.

RageBot

Banned

The main difference in the presentation of the idea between the two projects is that The Hole Story gave focus to the fact that the girls are giving the idea and working on some of the art, while the programming and the main work on art and music are being outsourced to other teams.
In the case of TFYC it is shown to be a women only project, with all of the people working on the game being women.
Seeing things like a ten years old saying: "When I was younger, I thought games were a 'boy thing', so I really wasn't into them. Over the past few years, I started to play computer games and apps. My favorite game is Minecraft." made me not take the project seriously

For me, it was like the first was "see? girls can make games!" but the second is women just making a game, without fuss.

But anyway, guess I probably am a massive hypocrite :)

Link to my old post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=124889384&highlight=#post124889384
So please tell me the contradictions again, I didn't oppose to women only teams making games, but to the way The Hole Story is going at it.

RageBot

Banned
Hmm, after discussing with EmCeeGramr in PMs, seems like I was really wrong about the ideas and practicality behind both projects, thanks for showing me.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I don't even understand what's going on. The article was basically incoherant.

4chan raised 15k for a feminist charity and feminists are angry over that?

Has this been posted yet?

Aselith

Finally found it but this is how far some people hated that fact that 4chan even supported something good.

Actual Tweet, I mean damn some people have problems.

Fuck Samantha Allen tbh. She seems to just be trying to gain twitter followers sniping with inflammatory remarks. Never really has anything to say, not interested in a discussion, just bile for people. She's like the worst kind of ban begging forumgoer but in twitter form.

Top Bottom