• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Game Hall of Fame adds ‘Halo: Combat Evolved,’ and 3 More

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (AP) — Attention Halo Nation, “Halo: Combat Evolved” is in the World Video Game Hall of Fame.

The science fiction shooter game that enthralled a legion of fans after its 2001 launch with the Xbox system is one of four games to be inducted into the hall Thursday. “Donkey Kong,” ″Pokemon Red and Green” and “Street Fighter II” round out the young hall’s third class of honorees.

An international committee of video game scholars and journalists chose the World Video Game Hall of Fame’s class of 2017 from among 12 finalists that also included: “Final Fantasy VII,” ″Microsoft Windows Solitaire,” ″Mortal Kombat,” ″Myst,” ″Portal,” ″Resident Evil,” ″Tomb Raider” and “Wii Sports.”

https://www.apnews.com/79d438b3f375...bat-Evolved'-among-4-video-game-HOF-inductees

More at the link above.

Teabag my dad if old.

Ushay

Combat Evolved was on of the greats for me, that beach landing mission is still crystal clear in my mind.

atr0cious

Solitare was robbed. Ski Free snub cuts the deepest.

Also​, the blurb for Halo forgets GoldenEye exists.
Until ‘Halo’s’ launch, the most successful shooters required a personal computer and the precision offered by a high-quality mouse,” said Strong Associate Curator Shannon Symonds. “‘Halo’ proved a console could be just as effective, if not better, than a PC.”
Bollocks

Akai__

Every game on that list deserves it.

what? Pokemon Red and Green? Why not blue?!

Because Green was launched in Japan alongside Red and not Blue. When they translated the games, they replaced Green with Blue for the worldwide release.

Justinh

Congrats to the class of 2017.

Condolences to Tomb Raider and Resident Evil* especially. From memory, this is the second year in a row they were up for it but not chosen.
*nope! It was Tomb Raider and Street Fighter 2 that didn't get in last year. Glad to see SF2 finally get in.

CAR105 3

By 3 more you mean 3 gamechangers, right?

Video Game Hall of Fame add 3 legendary games, and 1 Quake clone.
I get it that some folks dont like Halo CE, but when they call it uninspired, a clone or generic. It just makes me dissapointed the way others try to downplay the way Halo influenced shooters on console.

soqquatto

I honestly don't know why anyone should care about the "videogame hall of fame". the public already determined what's a "hall of fame" for games before these guys came along. why should 2017 be the year of Halo, Pokemon, Street Fighter II and Donkey Kong? right now the collection is a random set of titles and doesn't look like a curated list. how long before games released in the 70's and 80's (and more) that are ALREADY recognized as masterpieces and classic will be included in this? no need to name titles here, we all know that a lot is missing.

fuck this useless World Video Game Hall of Fame®.

Septic360

Banned
By 3 more you mean 3 gamechangers, right?

Video Game Hall of Fame add 3 legendary games, and 1 Quake clone.

LOL!

YX6ZTJ2.gif

Spasm

Heard the candidates on NPR this morning, and I'm a huge Halo fan, but I thought it was a little light on one of the criteria; Geographical reach.

But congrats!

I get it that some folks dont like Halo CE, but when they call it uninspired, a clone or generic. It just makes me dissapointed the way others try to downplay the way Halo influenced shooters on console.
It's because they don't know what they're talking about. All 4 games are great and well deserved on the recognition.

The "other 3" games sold waaaay more than Halo and are more culturally important. Weird tittle to the article. 🤔

Marcel

Halo 1 absolutely deserves mention amongst the greats even if it is a bad headline. Still a shame about what happened to the series after 3.

Halo 1 absolutely deserves mention amongst the greats even if it is a bad headline. Still a shame about what happened to the series after 3.
Halo 5 has the best multiplayer in the series. I agree it's been downhill in pretty much every other aspect though.

LOL Bryan!!!

I'm being light-hearted here, guys, so thanks for the light-hearted response! :D

I understand Halo's significance and I'm glad it's inducted as it makes room for more modern masterpieces like my beloved SOTC.

atr0cious

Ive been saying for over a decade that halo was for console gamers who didn't play goldeneye years before.
It's true, the article acts like the sales are significant, when GoldenEye did 2 million more on a mediocre platform that didn't even have LAN. Not to mention that the single player in GoldenEye puts Halo's to shame.

Synth

Also​, the blurb for Halo forgets GoldenEye exists.

Or they're just aware that GoldenEye's mechanics are pretty awful compared to current consoles FPS games, let alone PC Fps.

There's a reason nothing plays even remotely like GoldenEye today.

Spasm

Or they're just aware that GoldenEye's mechanics are pretty awful compared to current consoles FPS games, let alone PC Fps.

There's a reason nothing plays even remotely like GoldenEye today.
Yeah, my brain couldn't handle the floating reticle of GE, probably cause I was already an inverted player. Halo was a revelation.

Top Bottom