• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Lynnfire said:
Donkey_Kong_Country_2_Diddys_Kong_Q.gif

Donkey Kong Country 2 : Diddy's Kong Quest

(Diddy's Conquest)

My jaw dropped to the floor when I found this out many years after I first played and loved the game. I was completely oblivious to the pun.

OK now THAT blew my mind. I can't believe I never got that.

Edit: Yes, I feel like a total hypocrite now.

2nd Edit: I totally blame this on the oddly placed hyphen. Right now it reads as:

Diddy's Kong-
Quest

If it read as:

Diddy's
Kong-Quest

I might have figured it out. Maybe.

Jag22

Banned
In the original Halo Cortana was originally suppose to be the "bad guy".

"One of the original antagonists for the game was going to be Cortana herself. She was planned to go mad with power after being downloaded into Halo's control room, which is why in the scene where she's downloaded into the main control system she starts acting strangely. However, the developers decided against having Cortana betray the Chief and instead made 343 Guilty Spark the antagonist. However, the scene where Cortana is downloaded into the control room remained unchanged, and made a lot of players believe she would go crazy, although it never happened."

Jag22 said:
In the original Halo Cortana was originally suppose to be the "bad guy".

"One of the original antagonists for the game was going to be Cortana herself. She was planned to go mad with power after being downloaded into Halo's control room, which is why in the scene where she's downloaded into the main control system she starts acting strangely. However, the developers decided against having Cortana betray the Chief and instead made 343 Guilty Spark the antagonist. However, the scene where Cortana is downloaded into the control room remained unchanged, and made a lot of players believe she would go crazy, although it never happened."

This is pretty much what I thought would happen and I don't know how I feel about the story being altered. In the Halo universe, AIs eventually go rampant and with the huge surge of information from Halo I was hoping this would have sped up the process for Cortana. I also thought that her merge with Gravemind would have done something similar.

To be honest,
Halo 3 really sets this up throughout the game and IMO Cortana should have made the ultimate sacrifice to save the chief and Earth in the end.

listen to the song Secret Agent Man but think "Secret Asian Man"

I am unable to hear Secret Agent Man anymore.

not game related, but fedex arrow type stuff i guess.

TJ Spyke

ratcliffja said:
OK now THAT blew my mind. I can't believe I never got that.

Edit: Yes, I feel like a total hypocrite now.

2nd Edit: I totally blame this on the oddly placed hyphen. Right now it reads as:

Diddy's Kong-
Quest

If it read as:

Diddy's
Kong-Quest

I might have figured it out. Maybe.

The boxart is much more clear:

DK_Country_2.jpg

Ugh, I own that game too. My argument fails again. Now I have to think of one to blow everyone else's mind in revenge. You should all watch your backs. And the backs of your brains.

WrikaWrek

Banned
DoctorWho said:
This is pretty much what I thought would happen and I don't know how I feel about the story being altered. In the Halo universe, AIs eventually go rampant and with the huge surge of information from Halo I was hoping this would have sped up the process for Cortana. I also thought that her merge with Gravemind would have done something similar.

To be honest,
Halo 3 really sets this up throughout the game and IMO Cortana should have made the ultimate sacrifice to save the chief and Earth in the end.

Heh, if it was up to me, Master Chief himself would've died.

He would make the ultimate sacrifice, and a la Armageddon, before he died players would watch flashback of MC as a kid and relationships he had, it would've been amazing as in the last moment fans would have a chance to dig into the mind and past of MC.

I'm still pissed at Bungie that they showed better storytelling in a T.V trailer (the one with MC as a kid) than the whole Halo trilogy put together.

Master Chief was successfully portrayed as a badass in the games but...that's it.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
WrikaWrek said:
I'm still pissed at Bungie that they showed better storytelling in a T.V trailer (the one with MC as a kid) than the whole Halo trilogy put together.
I've never saw this one before and just youtubed it. Very cool.

Banned
ratcliffja said:
I remember when I first bought Sonic 2 and laughed as soon as I saw Miles "Tails" Prower. I then had to explain the pun to my brother. I have a hard time believing anybody who knew his full name didn't get the pun.
Umm maybe I'm having an off day but I don't see any pun. Does "Miles Tails Prowser" have another meaning besides Tails having 2 tails?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Miles Per Hour was easy to miss IMO because his name was never written without "Tails" in the middle of it.

Took me like 10 years to notice it, no joke.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Umm maybe I'm having an off day but I don't see any pun. Does "Miles Tails Prowser" have another meaning besides Tails having 2 tails?
From Wikipedia:

The name "Miles Prower" is a pun on "miles per hour", a reference to the famed speed of the Sonic the Hedgehog series.

(...)

Yasushi Yamaguchi, originally the main artist and zone designer for Sega's Sonic Team, designed Tails for an internal competition for a sidekick to the speedy hedgehog. His entry won, but Sonic Team decided to change his character's name from "Miles" to "Tails".

Yamaguchi ended up with a compromise. He sneaked the name "Miles" in as his legal name; "Tails" would be his nickname, ending up with the full name of Miles "Tails" Prower.

Banned
Oh you have to take out "Tails". How did that go over my head for so many years?

It's so obvious now. Sega has always openly said Tails isn't his real name.

I love this thread.

Odrion

Banned
Formless said:
In Trauma Center for Wii there's a level called Caudecus on a Plane, in reference to Snakes on a Plane
In R&C: Size Matters there is an event called "The Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny."

Banned
This isn't a big reveal or anything, but a question. Is it true that in the Super Mario Bros manual it says all the bad guys used to be good but turned evil, and all the block used to be mushroom people. Essentially meaning Mario was on a killing spree in SMB?

ronito

This isn't a big reveal or anything, but a question. Is it true that in the Super Mario Bros manual it says all the bad guys used to be good but turned evil, and all the block used to be mushroom people. Essentially meaning Mario was on a killing spree in SMB?
I vaguely remember something like this too. But maybe it's just an urban legend. But I remember I felt horrible every time I crushed a block.

IN FF7: Producer Hironobu Sakaguchi allowed Aeris to die as an expression of grief after his mother died during the production of Final Fantasy III.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Nuclear Muffin said:
Pacman in Bioshock

http://www.cabel.name/images-post/2007/09/xbox-bioshock-pacman.jpg[IMG]

Pacman on Jade's belt

[IMG]http://namco-ch.net/talesoftheabyss/download/img/jade1280.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
If you look closely at Talim's pendant in Soul Calibur II, you can see... you guessed it... Pac-Man. Someone should have the artwork laying around. :D

Alaluef said:
As game related as FedEx is, but... The Carrefour symbol is also interesting. Some people see an arrow, some people see a fish, but it's in fact a white "C".

awi_carrefour.gif

Ok, this might be a little weird.

But this is what i see:

Four C's

One big blue C
One big white C
Two small white C's

Then i noticed the name - Carrefour

:O

TJ Spyke

Dali said:
The characters in the X-men arcade game were modeled after the designs used in the pilot of the cartoon series (the vastly superior 80's one, not the 90's Fox Kids one).

There was no '80s X-Men cartoon. That 1989 pilot (called "Pryde of the X-Men" for those wondering) never turned into a series. The episode was released on VHS, but has not been released on DVD yet. The FOX series was great, FOX had a lot of great shows on at the same time back then (including the best portrayal of Spider-Man in any electronic media form).

m00

Yeah, the blocks and cloudbushes were allegedly mushroom people who were transformed by an evil tribe of magic turtles, and Mario set out to rescue the princess because only she had the power to undo Koopa magic. This means that aspiring novelists at NCL have been sneaking crappy fiction past Miyamoto since 1985.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
twinturbo2 said:
If you look closely at Talim's pendant in Soul Calibur II, you can see... you guessed it... Pac-Man. Someone should have the artwork laying around. :D
Allright, found a big-ass pic. Take a close look at the pendant she's wearing.
Talim_sc2.jpg

Did I just BLOW YOUR MIND??? :D

Dali

TJ Spyke said:
There was no '80s X-Men cartoon. That 1989 pilot (called "Pryde of the X-Men" for those wondering) never turned into a series. The episode was released on VHS, but has not been released on DVD yet. The FOX series was great, FOX had a lot of great shows on at the same time back then (including the best portrayal of Spider-Man in any electronic media form).

So basically you are saying there was a pilot for an 80's cartoon series. Hmmm sounds a lot like my post. I guess I'll thank you for the clarification though, but I was well aware the series wasn't picked up as I woke up early every Saturday or Sunday (I can't remember) for almost a month after the pilot aired waiting for the next episode. Instead I was greeted with Spiderman and his Amazing Friends or worse. :(

TJ Spyke

Dali said:
So basically you are saying there was a pilot for an 80's cartoon series. Hmmm sounds a lot like my post. I guess I'll thank you for the clarification though, but I was well aware the series wasn't picked up as I woke up early every Saturday or Sunday (I can't remember) for almost a month after the pilot aired waiting for the next episode. Instead I was greeted with Spiderman and his Amazing Friends or worse. :(

Sorry, I thought that you thought there was an actual series. I don't think a pilot that didn't get turned into a series can count as a series though.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
RurouniZel said:
The only thing I can think of off the top of my head was that Capcom went thorough 3 nearly completed versions of Resident Evil 4 before landing on the final version.

The original original trailer

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/91577.html

Next one

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/86112.html

Early gameplay

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/7188.html

Final

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/4202.html

Wow I never saw the early gameplay footage.
Capcom made 3 versions & they all looked groundbreking.

Burli

Pringo
Metalmurphy said:
It's not that I have high standards, It's just that she's really not something special, I'm guessing you're an American so I can understand you thinking she's... attractive... but where I live, that's pretty much your average woman. Certainly something no one would be crazy about like half of GAF. But like I said... just cause she's in the Gaming industry...

Tell me where the fuck you live and I will take out a mortgage this second.

Vlad

Lynnfire said:
Donkey_Kong_Country_2_Diddys_Kong_Q.gif

Donkey Kong Country 2 : Diddy's Kong Quest

(Diddy's Conquest)

My jaw dropped to the floor when I found this out many years after I first played and loved the game. I was completely oblivious to the pun.

Well damn, that's the second time this week the title to that game's blown my mind.

I brought it up in the SSBB Dojo thread, but for some reason, I always read that title as Diddy Kong's Quest, and only realized how it was actually written when I heard it spoken in a Gametrailers video. Now I come to find out about the little wordplay in there, too.

Morton Koopa Jr. is named after talk show host Morton Downey Jr.

I had a coloring book that said this. I'm pretty sure it's in the manual too.

Coolio McAwesome said:
Anyone who has ever played Lode Runner for the NES has no doubt noticed that the enemies in the game bare a striking reseblance to Bomerbman. This actually marked the first time Hudson used that design in any capacity.

In any case, when you finish Bomberman for NES, he turns into a human and becomes the main character from Lode Runner! Evidently, Bomberman was a prequel to Lode Runner, and the Runner and Bomberman ARE THE SAME CHARACTER~!!!

Here are some pictures from the ending:
bombman-1.gif
bombman-2.gif

The original Famicom Disk System version made it even more apparent:
bombfds-2.gif

what the...

MIND BLOWN

TJ Spyke

BobbyRobby said:
Morton Koopa Jr. is named after talk show host Morton Downey Jr.

That is just a rumor. No official source ever said that (coloring books aren't official sources, the company that made the book would have licensed it from Nintendo).

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
_Alkaline_ said:
Ok, this might be a little weird.

But this is what i see:

Four C's

One big blue C
One big white C
Two small white C's

Then i noticed the name - Carrefour

:O
All I see is a polar bear nose

I'm watching a TAS of Super Mario Bros. 2 JPN (Lost Levels, not Doki Doki Panic), and a lot of the graphics are upgraded slightly, but what I obviously looked for is that the clouds now have a smiley face, and as a result, the hills have eyes.

This thread is amazing. I am late to the party so I think this is the best I can do (although it is probably known by all here), there is a secret Lost room in Half Life Ep2.

1579477401_763dab1963_d.jpg

half-life.jpg

Top Bottom