• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

=HERO=

Neo Member
itwasTuesday said:
I think he was talking about
doodie
. Toad
doodie

Kinda silly because a toadstool is an actual mushroom named for being big enough to be the stool for a toad. Should be common knowledge, but whatev

Zombie James said:
Maybe the major ones should be added to the OP, with links to the original posts.

I will be adding tables so that individual facts can be indexed (and linked to posts) so that it'll be easier to keep everything organized. I'm too lazy to do it now, because this weekend had/has me hosting two house parties. Luckily, the ball pit was constructed in time for Saturday's, and I got somebody to bring a sledgehammer and watermelon for today's.

But, yeah, sooner or later there will be an extra section on that already too populated page wherein you can register a fact and mark posted facts as dupes of others, etc.

Brazil said:
You're awesome, that's what you are.

I just thought that it'd be nice if people could rebut with more than just a single worded "Old!" reply. Seems less trolly that way. Or more, depending on how you look at it.

IAmABeliver

Neo Member
Chairhome said:
I wasn't totally serious, which is why I put it in spoiler tags, but I was wondering why you would call it "black dance" and when its no where in the link and why it was a "mind blowing" fact. Chill.

My bad, it's my first day! And it's totally not a mind blowing fact....but it's till mounds better than complaining about NES boxes!

drizzle said:
Sorry for quoting the image in it's fullest, but, in my opinion, my observations need the image companionship.

I love how, not only he's dying in the picture, that's a total 8bit bullshot: That Mario Sprite has way too many colors for a NES Sprite. His skin is skintone, his boots are brown and his overalls have shading.

My friend also pointed out that, not only that, he's slightly angled, which would mean Mode 7-like sprite manipulation was possible on the NES, which we all know is not true.

Interestingly enough, back then we all accepted it as artistic freedom back in the day. Nowadays, it's just viewed as deceiving the customer, a view which I share.

I think the bigger bullshot is that the Japanese/European boxes have Mario in blue/red when his color scheme is CLEARLY brown/red in SMB1. If I lived outside of the States I'd want my $40 and 26 years back.

Cheerilee

aaaaaa said:
In Mega Man 1, Cut Man is the easiest boss to defeat with the regular weapon.

because

Rock(man) beats scissors lol
I thought Bombman was the easiest.

You just walk towards him while shooting. As long as you're moving, he can't hit you because he shoots a slow arc shot to where you were, not where you're going to be. And whenever you're about to crash into him, he jumps away from you.

So you just keep marching towards him, and shooting, and he dies.

Edit: A tiny bit of sense is also needed, because if he lobs a shot and then jumps over you, you can't immediately turn around, or you'll walk back into his shot.

aaaaaa

Metalic said:
I found Gutsman to be easier with the mega buster.

just checked roahm mythril's youtube playthroughs (which contain easy ways to defeat most of the bosses and are quite entertaining):

Cut Man - 10 hits to kill
Bomb Man - 13/14 hits
Guts Man - 13 hits
Fire Man - 13 hits
Elec and Ice Man take significantly more.

Big One

Banned
I found this on 4chan and thought it was amusing:

7nRFJ.jpg

cacildo

GameplayWhore said:
http://jc-news.com/cloudbush/ ← this should help somewhat

A little rough around the edges, but it seems to work!

Do you know who made it? This person deserve some praise.

Wait... nope, no no no... my Paperboy 2 secret isnt mentioned correctly. They just tagged a small comment i made in a reply after the secret! And it was a great secret!

Also my Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey secret got no love... at least i cant see any tag for this game...

I was thinking about making a small wordpress blog with all the secrets, no rush, just posting one by one in my spare time, maybe adding some comments in each secret, either made by gaffers in the thread or by myself.

Specially since the images are vanishing... it would be a nice idea to make a full backup in this blog.

EDIT: Sorry, the Paperboy2 secret is ok. The thing is, as i feared, the image is already broken. So sad...

cacildo

Big One said:
Mind linking me to this? This thread is quite big.

That´s exactly the problem. I cant find it.

Gonna check my old HDD. I used my own camera to get a picture from the ds, it was a labor of love. Such a huge secret deserve it!

EDIT: FOUND IT!!!

HERE IT IS! The most amazing secret ever found in Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

1zdow9.jpg

In Persona 2 EP, in the Sanitarium and KS High School dungeons, you can find a demon with a red robe called Erinys. When you contact or damage her, she makes distinctive singing like sounds but when you actually kill her, it really sounds like Atlus took a short Celine Dion voice clip and used that as her death cry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLuo7aR4Fvg

Sorry for the quality, had to do with my limited means. The sfx is right after the 3 gunshots.

iidesuyo

Phillip Morris sued Sega back in the days for displaying the Marlboro trademark in Super Monaco GP. Arcade owners were paid $200 to install the revised EPROM.

qmr29e00.png

Today they'd be happy for the advertisement...

cacildo said:
GameplayWhore said:
http://jc-news.com/cloudbush/ ← this should help somewhat
A little rough around the edges, but it seems to work!

Do you know who made it? This person deserve some praise.

It's a secret to everybody.
I made and have been posting about it on the sly for over a month here

Wait... nope, no no no... my Paperboy 2 secret isnt mentioned correctly. They just tagged a small comment i made in a reply after the secret! And it was a great secret!

Also my Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey secret got no love... at least i cant see any tag for this game...

Har. The idea was (and is) that everyone can tag stuff as they please whenever they find something missing. It's like a wiki. That way, you don't have to have one person scouring through everything alone, which could lead to stuff being missed.
that's still what happened anyway

EDIT: Sorry, the Paperboy2 secret is ok. The thing is, as i feared, the image is already broken. So sad...

Yeah, the worst part are all those posts which are completely blank except for an image or a couple links. Like a post that reads "HEY GUYS, LOOK: http://img.url/deadshortlinkS@3nvFq8y". I really wish people had the foresight to just write out whatever the actual fact was. You can sometimes work it out from the replies, though.

Ragnamith

In Ocarina of Time and Majora's mask, when you press the Z button without targeting something, your camera gets set behind Link, right?
The sound this action makes is different depending on if you're in a temple or not.
Inside a temple it's kinda like a creepy whoosh and outside a temple it's more like a cheery wheep noise. Pretty hard to describe.

This is a speedrun of Ocarina of Time on youtube (apparently walking backwards is the fastest way of walking.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_ukJe4UAxg
Check 0:52:00 and 1:00:28 to hear the difference.

Also, first post ever.
I've been wanting to post this since forever.

cacildo

GameplayWhore said:
It's a secret to everybody.
I made and have been posting about it on the sly for over a month here

Yeah, the worst part are all those posts which are completely blank except for an image or a couple links. Like a post that reads "HEY GUYS, LOOK: http://img.url/deadshortlinkS@3nvFq8y". I really wish people had the foresight to just write out whatever the actual fact was. You can sometimes work it out from the replies, though.

Well, i thank you for your work. Its a good thing someone finally took the time to make a small catalog of all the secrets.

About the broken images... well, we can ask some users about what the hell they were talking about. (for exemple: i just dont understand what the hell the first post on the thread is talking about)

Also, i upped my Paperboy2 secret again

f2mxj6.jpg

Dunan

DiipuSurotu said:
So it's you. My mind = blown. I'm W_Mark_Felt_Sr on GameFAQs by the way.

Hey, I remember your posts too. There was another guy named Notti who made some good contributions too. Finding that was almost what got me back into video games as a hobby. I had entered the working world and didn't have a lot of time for games, but was playing FFT again in my quest to finish the game without killing anyone, and while doing some of the sound novels, the alphabet jumped out at me. What a great feeling of discovery.

Wait a minute... W. Mark Felt? "Deep Throat" ... ディープスロート ... DiipuSurotu?

*mind re-blown*

Roto13

Ragnamith said:
In Ocarina of Time and Majora's mask, when you press the Z button without targeting something, your camera gets set behind Link, right?
The sound this action makes is different depending on if you're in a temple or not.
Inside a temple it's kinda like a creepy whoosh and outside a temple it's more like a cheery wheep noise. Pretty hard to describe.

This is a speedrun of Ocarina of Time on youtube (apparently walking backwards is the fastest way of walking.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_ukJe4UAxg
Check 0:52:00 and 1:00:28 to hear the difference.

Also, first post ever.
I've been wanting to post this since forever.
Just tried it out in OoT 3D. Hah. Wow. I never noticed that in my bazillion playthroughs. :p

Mascot

Here's one that will amaze and astound in equal measure:

I was the first member of the public in the whole wide world to complete Sabre Wulf on the ZX Spectrum.

Sabre_wulf_4.gif

Cynics might suggest that I was actually the first member of the public in the whole wide world who was sad enough to write a letter to Ultimate: Play The Game to tell them that I had finished the game, but to their credit they did make my decade by writing back in a totally unpatronising way to say that I was the first person they knew about who had finished it, which kind of makes it official.

The letter still exists somewhere in the deep dark recesses of my attic. I'll attack the task of finding it one of these days.

cacildo

Mascot said:

I was the first member of the public in the whole wide world to complete Sabre Wulf on the ZX Spectrum.

Sabre_wulf_4.gif

Cynics might suggest that I was actually the first member of the public in the whole wide world who was sad enough to write a letter to Ultimate: Play The Game to tell them that I had finished the game, but to their credit they did make my decade by writing back in a totally unpatronising way to say that I was the first person they knew about who had finished it, which kind of makes it official.

The letter still exists somewhere in the deep dark recesses of my attic. I'll attack the task of finding it one of these days.

Lol! Congratulations! But wait, are spectrum secrets on now? I could tell you something about the skool daze sequel that still makes my beard stand up

Mascot said:

Sabre_wulf_4.gif

Man... Speccy graphics could be so striking. Beautiful in their own way.

Kiiji

Banned
The enemies in EarthBound flash different colors right before they attack depending on what they're about to do. If they flash white, the attack has no direct effect. If they flash black, the attack will be physical. If they flash orange, the attack will be magic/PSI.

brerwolfe

Kiiji said:
The enemies in EarthBound flash different colors right before they attack depending on what they're about to do. If they flash white, the attack has no direct effect. If they flash black, the attack will be physical. If they flash orange, the attack will be magic/PSI.
i just started a new game of Earthbound a couple days ago on my snes. i never noticed. it doesn't change anything, but it's interesting to know.

Mike M

Nick N
In Infinity Blade, the number of exclamation points following a break (I.e. "Dodge break!!!") directly correspond to how many hits you can land (One point gets you a single hit, two lets you land three, three gets you five, etc.)

I was at level 90-something in my new game + before noticing that... : (

bgassassin said:
I don't think I would call this mind blowing, but it's at least neat. And if it's been posted already, then my bad as I tried to search as best as possible. But it seems OoT's Windmill theme took some of it's motif (think that's the right term) from Yoshi Island's - Castle theme.

OoT Windmill - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGvNVcM6AkI

YI Castle - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifvxBt7tmA8

Arguably, the Windmill theme sounds very similar to something much older. This is extremely old and has been brought up countless times elsewhere, so this shouldn't be a shock at all.

OoT Windmill
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGvNVcM6AkI&feature=player_detailpage#t=7s

Surprise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ-uV72pQKI&feature=player_detailpage#t=152s

Also, the TP Hylian thing - really? Guess if you didn't lurk/participate on Zelda sites/forums, you missed it, but it was extensively covered and made public before the game even came out in fall 2006.

Clipper

Pure Imagination isn't even close to the same tune. Yoshi's Island shares part of the harmony, but it is just a simple chord progression of pairs of notes that is common to a lot of things.

tsab

Hi Gaf,

I don't think this is posted yet. But I found that in REmake the first EMBLEM uses some gibberish marks. Only it's not gibberish but greek letters. While in greek they make no sense, If you swap the letters with the english ones assigned on a greek/usa keyboard layout you get:

"While there is life, there is hope"
(Marcus Tullius Cicero)

Here a screenshot taken from dolphin.

whilethereislifethereishope.png

And here's the keyboard layout:
keyboard-319.png

yes I am greek :D

And yes I am aware that they used V instead of W

Clipper

tsab said:
That's a pretty nice find, yeah. I don't think they based it from the keyboard layout, but just the traditional English interpretation of those Greek letters. That would be why Omega is used for W (given its lower case form) instead of V. It's very readable to me from the pic and I only have rudimentary knowledge of the Greek alphabet.

tsab

Clipper said:
That's a pretty nice find, yeah. I don't think they based it from the keyboard layout, but just the traditional English interpretation of those Greek letters. That would be why Omega is used for W (given its lower case form) instead of V. It's very readable to me from the pic and I only have rudimentary knowledge of the Greek alphabet.

Yes you may be right. ω = W. I assumed the artist thought W=VV=ΩΩ

nofi

Mascot said:

Sabre_wulf_4.gif

Congrats. Rock hard game, so good job.

Now, post Spectrum secrets!

This always bothered me as a kid. Look at the cover for Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap:

600full-wonder-boy-iii--the-dragon%252527s-trap-cover.jpg

Notice that the snakes have two heads, or rather they look like two snakes tied together. Now flip over the game and look at he game screenshots on the back and you see the same twinheaded snakes appearing in the island zone, just like on the front art.

Wonderboy%252520backshot.PNG

Thing is those snake enemies in the actual game have only the one head, so this was changed very late into development for reasons that are beyond me. As a kid I always thought there was a way to make the twinheaded snakes appear in the game, but I guess it was just a late random revision.

Wonder-Boy%2525203%252520-%252520The%252520Dragon%252527s%252520Trap%252520%2525282%252529.gif

Also, back in the day while having fun with glitching games by rocking the cartridge back and forth while a game was running on the SMS for very strange results I managed to make it so the human form of Wonderboy appeared in the town. This impossible scenario is part of the save system because I then went and got the password which would replicate the result if you punched it in after resetting the game.

Mascot

I'm always amazed how many old-skool gamers still don't know about Pac Man's safe spot. You could park him up, emigrate, return home after seven years and he'd STILL be sitting there, raring to go with a "Dude, WTF?" expression on his face.

tsab

ScionOfTheRisingSun said:
This always bothered me as a kid. Look at the cover for Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap:

600full-wonder-boy-iii--the-dragon%252527s-trap-cover.jpg

Notice that the snakes have two heads, or rather they look like two snakes tied together. Now flip over the game and look at he game screenshots on the back and you see the same twinheaded snakes appearing in the island zone, just like on the front art.

Thing is those snake enemies in the actual game have only the one head, so this was changed very late into development for reasons that are beyond me. As a kid I always thought there was a way to make the twinheaded snakes appear in the game, but I guess it was just a late random revision.

Also, back in the day while having fun with glitching games by rocking the cartridge back and forth while a game was running on the SMS for very strange results I managed to make it so the human form of Wonderboy appeared in the town. This impossible scenario is part of the save system because I then went and got the password which would replicate the result if you punched it in after resetting the game.

I think it's just 2 snakes crossing over another.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
ScionOfTheRisingSun said:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-TZRinAB2PZQ/Tdvmma3AuoI/AAAAAAAAATs/QSomqIrZ8rM/s512/600full-wonder-boy-iii--the-dragon%252527s-trap-cover.jpg[

[/QUOTE]

All I can see is two snakes fucking each other and Wonder boy ready and going for Octopus Tenticle action ( see red action tag on top), and the dragon know it's all wrong and trying to stop them from doin it.

Totobeni said:
All I can see is two snakes fucking each other and Wonder boy ready and going for Octopus Tenticle action ( see red action tag on top), and the dragon know it's all wrong and trying to stop them from doin it.

You know what, a picture is worth a thousand words, I found a pretty good scan of the full cover so I've updated the post with the shots in question.

Ramune

That octopus is half dog. But I can relate. It's how I thought about the early screenshot of "Dust Hill Zone" from Sonic 2 before the final game came out and I beat it and went....WTF?!

Totobeni said:

hFfMJ.gif

DiipuSurotu said:
General Leo from Final Fantasy VI looks White in-game but he is actually Black according to Amano's art:

Yeah I always remembered this, but could never remember where I saw it. Looks like Guile and Balrog had a baby.

Top Bottom