• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Ondore

I recall that
Code:
ENGAGE RIDLEY
MOTHER FUCKER

does some weird shit on the NES version. It hard locks the 3DS if you do it on that version.

Mike M

Nick N
Pretty sure all Metroid passwords are just coincidence. It does work though.

Edit: Beaten lol.

I still don't know if they actually figured our where NARPAS SWORD comes from though?
Best explanation I ever heard was that it stands for "not a real password."

So bailey isn't slang for swimsuit anywhere at all? I guess like the whole BS Zelda took 8 minutes to load each dungeon and was a flop and never finished or Wario Ware twisted has liquid mercury in it, BS on the Internet lingers for an eternity.

I still don't know if they actually figured our where NARPAS SWORD comes from though?
NAR PASSWORD
Now does it make more sense?

According to gamewinners:
http://www.gamewinners.com/nes/Metroid.htm said:
"NAR" is an abbreviation for the name of the person who designed the password system, Tohru Narihiro.

My favorite prankster Metroid password is the "engage ridley mother fucker" one which locks the game up. If playing on 3DS you lock the whole system up. Emulation, eh?

Though the daniel daniel daniel daniel one on Gamewinners is easy to remember and is a fairly normal password...

bigas

I'm glad I could help then! What are some of the other names you've come up with for characters?

Since I'm from Brazil, all of them are in Portuguese - Koopa Troll is perhaps the only one in English.

But that's standard procedure for the ones that do not know English, I guess. Sometimes the language is a barrier that is we circumvent with a lesser vocabulary and mundane words.

maxcriden

Since I'm from Brazil, all of them are in Portuguese - Koopa Troll is perhaps the only one in English.

But that's standard procedure for the ones that do not know English, I guess. Sometimes the language is a barrier that is we circumvent with a lesser vocabulary and mundane words.

Thanks for the info. I like Koopa Troll! They're Koopa Troopas here in America but I think Koopa Troll is fitting since they usually pop up out of nowhere to troll you! ;)

I recall that
Code:
ENGAGE RIDLEY
MOTHER FUCKER

does some weird shit on the NES version. It hard locks the 3DS if you do it on that version.
Metroid Passwords allow you to turn on a lot of strange bits that aren't understood by humans (if you look up a password generator there's a lot of unknown flags turned on by that password) so those might be giving strange effects. One of the flags for that password seems to be one that resets the game as well. I'm guessing it's a password that screws up the RAM state and causes the game to fail to load properly. EDIT: Watching a vid of it done and it doesn't reset on emulator. I wonder if there's a vid of it being used on an actual NES.

Metroid also has a really weak validation checker for its passwords, as long as you can bypass the checksum you have quite a bit of freedom on what password you can make.

Since we're talking about Metroid 1, its "secret worlds" are quite a fascinating thing too, even though they aren't actually new worlds but level or other data regurgitated in strange ways.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Code:
OMGWTF FAGGOT
RIDLEY POSING

Maybe not exactly mindblowing, more of a stupid fluke, but this is actually a valid password for Metroid (NES). And you start in Ridley's lair with it.
What if you switch it around?

Code:
RIDLEY POSING
OMGWTF FAGGOT

Does it change anything important?

Peagles

So bailey isn't slang for swimsuit anywhere at all? I guess like the whole BS Zelda took 8 minutes to load each dungeon and was a flop and never finished or Wario Ware twisted has liquid mercury in it, BS on the Internet lingers for an eternity.

NAR PASSWORD
Now does it make more sense?

According to gamewinners:

My favorite prankster Metroid password is the "engage ridley mother fucker" one which locks the game up. If playing on 3DS you lock the whole system up. Emulation, eh?

Though the daniel daniel daniel daniel one on Gamewinners is easy to remember and is a fairly normal password...

Yeh I've heard all the theories, but never found anything confirming the origin of it.

moniker

Metroid also has a really weak validation checker for its passwords, as long as you can bypass the checksum you have quite a bit of freedom on what password you can make.

Yeah, if I recall correctly, the checksum is just the 8 least significant bits of the 17 first bytes added together. The password is 18 bytes total, but the actual password as presented is 24 char which are 6 bits each. That means there's a 1 in 256 chance that any random password is valid (I think? I haven't really thought it through). Though a lot of passwords will just reset the game, so the chance to randomly get a usable password is actually less than that.

Axass

This was probably posted like 30 times already but it's the first time I see it so:

Bowser_Fireball.jpg

Apparently they mistakenly switched around the fireball sprite.

RoadDogg

I always figured it was supposed to be him breathing fire, not spitting a fireball. I just assumed they wanted to make it more challenging and were lazy so they made him shoot his fire breath.

I always figured it was supposed to be him breathing fire, not spitting a fireball. I just assumed they wanted to make it more challenging and were lazy so they made him shoot his fire breath.

Right, until it disconnects from him, it's drawn correctly. I guess at that point, it should morph into the mirrored sprite, but I just figured they didn't bother.

Just thought I'd throw this out there since a few people in another thread didn't make the connection:

ALBW Spoiler!!

gEW6i67.png

Ravio's motif is a pink rabbit.
He's also Link's counterpart in Lorule.

Link's Dark World form in A Link To The Past is a pink rabbit

The metroid password stuff reminds me of Road Rash 2, if you go to the password screen at the start of the game and change the single last letter to something else the game reads the password thinking you have tons of money.

Neo Child

Banned
Just thought I'd throw this out there since a few people in another thread didn't make the connection:

ALBW Spoiler!!

gEW6i67.png

Ravio's motif is a pink rabbit.
He's also Link's counterpart in Lorule.

Link's Dark World form in A Link To The Past is a pink rabbit

okay just completed the game but

the dark world is different from lorule right? so they're not really related right or are they?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
okay just completed the game but

the dark world is different from lorule right? so they're not really related right or are they?
Dark World and Lorule are not connected. Dark World is Hyrule's sacred realm transformed whereas Lorule is a parallel world with its own scared realm. Basically Lorule is in some ways the what if result if Ganon got his way and did manage to merge the Dark World with Hyrule.

It's just a nice throwback like the masks the villagers are wearing being based on the transformed Dark World NPCs.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wait... people are taking that King of Red Lions image seriously? Do you think Viking longships were based on the shape of Scandinavia?

Zubz

Banned
Not cool enough.
LV9gAUV.gif

Surprisingly, I think this was the only Nintendo-published SNES game that slammed into Sega in a noticeable fashion. I mean, not in ads, of course (IIRC DKC's ad was basically that it looked better than Sega CD games despite not being for a CD add-on), but I can't help but feel there should be more jabs like this with how heated the ads were. Guess the devs themselves didn't care?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Surprisingly, I think this was the only Nintendo-published SNES game that slammed into Sega in a noticeable fashion. I mean, not in ads, of course (IIRC DKC's ad was basically that it looked better than Sega CD games despite not being for a CD add-on), but I can't help but feel there should be more jabs like this with how heated the ads were. Guess the devs themselves didn't care?
7tbYhx2.gif

Bottom right corner.

Also, for those curious, the rest of the uncool words in Unirally/racer are quite funny.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but a friend of mine just sent me this and I thought it was pretty awesome

mBDRKBK.jpg

I don't know, the only source I can see for that is Reddit, and you know how that usually goes...

Super Mario Bros. 3 is the prequel to Super Mario Bros. 2.

In World 3 of SMB3, also known as Sea Side, players fight Wendy Koopa to save the king after being transformed into a Kappa. After defeating Wendy, Mario successfully reverts the King back to his original form, which ironically enough is very similar to Mario himself.

SMB3_MushroomKing.jpg
Smb3_king3.png

Turns into

Seasideking.png

Kappa's themselves are Japanese folklore, which are known to be mischievous troublemakers who enjoy vegetables, especially eggplant and cucumbers.

Mario met the a king similar to himself in appearance that was transformed into a Kappa. And while sleeping subconsiously dreamed him up in Super Mario.

200px-Wart_Artwork_-_Super_Mario_Bros_2.png
180px-Wart3.jpg

200px-SMB2_Vegetable.jpg

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
P0irMbp.jpg

Just saw this, but it seems in New Leaf every Sunday and Monday at 3:33 A.M. there's an alien broadcast. 0.o

Link1110

More Wart: his Japanese name is Mamu, まむ. This is made by changing the order of the characters for "Dream Demon" (muma むま)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
More Wart: his Japanese name is Mamu, まむ. This is made by changing the order of the characters for "Dream Demon" (muma むま)

And that is also why the Wart like character in Link's Awakening in called Mamu. Two games about dreams.

Zubz

Banned
Just posted this over the in Shovel Knight OT:

oWMysNY.jpg

I know a lot of these are years old and the final release of Shovel Knight's only weeks old, but that is still cool!

Same about the alien broadcast in Animal Crossing: New Leaf. IIRC Villagers don't mention it at all, so playing at 3:33 and having the static get interrupted is really spooky/surprising.

Also, can't believe I forgot DKC2... Thanks, BGBW!

Top Bottom