• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Rich!

Playing through Timesplitters 2 right now. Something caught my eye.

dsc_0111vqsns.jpg

Timed mines are set to 007 seconds.

Karin Kanzuki would have possibly made her first original appearance in Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter, where what looks to be a completely finished stance based on Sakura's own laying in the code near Dan's sprites. Her appearance is based on her original in Sakura Ganbaru! manga, with boots instead of sneakers.

jtvKUvM.gif

Of course, she eventually went on to debut in Street Fighter Zero 3, instead.

Awesome, did not know this.

Karin Kanzuki would have possibly made her first original appearance in Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter, where what looks to be a completely finished stance based on Sakura's own laying in the code near Dan's sprites. Her appearance is based on her original in Sakura Ganbaru! manga, with boots instead of sneakers.

jtvKUvM.gif

Of course, she eventually went on to debut in Street Fighter Zero 3, instead.
Neat. That's news to me.

I love this. I feel like anyone who's ever worked on a game before can relate to this - if it looks fine on the player's side, then it's working.

this.

As long as something looks correct it doesn't matter how it's achieved (outside of terrible performance killing methods at least)

mclem

I love this. I feel like anyone who's ever worked on a game before can relate to this - if it looks fine on the player's side, then it's working.

As an aside, a personal anecdote: When I worked on Delta Force: Urban Warfare, we had a mechanic where as a player took damage, they'd bleed - and start leaving visible blood trails that enemies could follow.

It was one of the first gameplay elements I implemented, when I was fresh out of university and really wasn't comfortable that I had a clue what I was doing. I'd do it differently now, but then what I did was made a 'blood gun', and fired it downwards every time I needed to drop a blood splodge.

Worked brilliantly.

Seems to be pretty known around people but I just saw this in a speedrun, why didn't anyone tell me you could steal items like that in Link's Awakening?

This must be very widely known, right?

The game renames you THIEF if you do it, and the shopkeeper kills you with lightning magic the first time you return to the store after stealing.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
This must be very widely known, right?

The game renames you THIEF if you do it, and the shopkeeper kills you with lightning magic the first time you return to the store after stealing.
It even renames you that? That's so good, how can players even come up with trying something like that out tho, it's crazy. It sounds like an easter egg they'd put in the manual or something, I don't believe someone trying it out on their own :eek:

KarmaCow

It even renames you that? That's so good, how can players even come up with trying something like that out tho, it's crazy. It sounds like an easter egg they'd put in the manual or something, I don't believe someone trying it out on their own :eek:

You should check out the original Link's Awakening speedruns if you want to see some crazy nonsense. :p

The shop works by you physically picking up an item and carrying it over your head to the shop keeper. Naturally players would try to walk out the door with it, just to see what happens.

When you do, he will tell you that you can't leave without paying for it. But if you walk around him instead of straight to the door, it's yours.

Then he murders you for stealing and you are branded THIEF forever.

zulux21

I figured it out no problem as a kid. I was amused that the shop keeper followed you but sometimes he lagged behind so I was curious if I tried to leave while he lagged behind if I could leave with the item, and then I did so.

sadly I stole like a 10 pack of arrows after I grinded forever to get the money for the most expensive item lol.

I just want to chime in and say that I remember when this thread first came out eight (8!) years ago! It's crazy to think that it has been going this long!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I wonder though, the only source I see about that on the Wikipedia page links to Gamefaqs---and with the way Japanese names work, are we sure it's the same Yusuke Murata? And the same Yusuke Murata between both games even? Anyone have the Kanji used in the Rockman 4/5 credits?

In Super Mario World getting all the secret exits in the Valley of Bowser makes the map look like this:
ValleyOfBowser.png

81 is the amount of exits in the game, minus the front door, back door, and the Star world levels.
Wait am I missing something here?

There are 96 exits in SMW. 10 of those come from Star World and 8 of those come from Special World. That would only make 78 exits (the Front Door/Back Door don't count in the in-game total and you'd be one short anyway).

Might have been mentioned but in Mass Effect 1 there are 3 versions of the Normandy and the pre Eden prime version exists at the bottom of every map in the game. Also all areas of the citadel exist on the same map, though that's not much. :(

Myriadis

Are there any other examples you know of fun gaming shortcuts like this?

I remember another small one:
ODGBvGl.png

There is the cutscene in Majoras Mask where Skull Kid gets Majoras Mask by stealing it from the bag of the unconcious mask salesman. Instead of creating a bag model just for these few seconds, they simply had another model of the salesman positioned under the ground so that only the bag would stick out.

I remember another small one:
ODGBvGl.png

There is the cutscene in Majoras Mask where Skull Kid gets Majoras Mask by stealing it from the bag of the unconcious mask salesman. Instead of creating a bag model just for these few seconds, they simply had another model of the salesman positioned under the ground so that only the bag would stick out.

That reminds me of a certain game I helped program at WayForward where we had to move a certain wall once you blew up a wall. The problem was that the wall was level art and not a regular sprite, so I just covered it with explosions and then moved the entire environment layer containing the wall up a full screen. Of course, this also required making invisible entities inside the wall, which ended up leading to a speedrun skip when somebody despawned them, making a wall that could just be walked through.

Rapstah

Pokémon Crystal added a storyline about Suicune and Unown as well as online connectivity through a mobile phone adapter to Pokémon Gold and Silver. The mobile phone connectivity stuff was cut outside of Japan because mobile phones in the rest of the world were way behind Japan's crazy early 2000s mobile phones. In Gold and Silver, it's implied the radio tower is bothering the Unown because they communicate with radio waves. In Crystal, everyone outside of Japan lost out on the part of the storyline where your real life mobile phone signals were bothering the Unown in the game because of the mobile phone adapter:
According to my
research...

Those mysterious
patterns appeared
when the POKéCOM
CENTER was built.

It must mean that
radio waves have
some sort of a
link...

Zubz

Banned
Pokémon Crystal added a storyline about Suicune and Unown as well as online connectivity through a mobile phone adapter to Pokémon Gold and Silver. The mobile phone connectivity stuff was cut outside of Japan because mobile phones in the rest of the world were way behind Japan's crazy early 2000s mobile phones. In Gold and Silver, it's implied the radio tower is bothering the Unown because they communicate with radio waves. In Crystal, everyone outside of Japan lost out on the part of the storyline where your real life mobile phone signals were bothering the Unown in the game because of the mobile phone adapter:

Huh. I knew about the Celebii event, but not this one. Which is weird, since Gen 2 of Pokemon probably ranks among my Top 10 favorite games of all time. I thought I knew about every event that game had to offer, but here we are!

avFmk3b.jpg

Dragon's Breath was in Halo 3

Dragon's Breath is a reference to the Halo 1 flamethrower. Halo 3 's flamethrower is reference the Halo 1 flamethrower.

Flamethrower_HCE_2.jpg

This rabbit hole goes much deeper. The design is a reference to the Curtis P40 warhawk which saw extensive use by allied forces in WW2.

Curtiss_P-40_Warhawk.jpg

The proper name for the Flamethrower is the M7057/Defoliant Projector. The 7057 is a call back to the Marathon Flame thrower called the TOZT 7 Backpack Napalm Unit

TOZT is leet/1337 for Toast

Here is Dragons Breath for those who don't play Destiny
1000px-DragonsBreathNoUI.jpg

Top Bottom