• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
KevinCow said:
It's not really that interesting. It's just the easiest way to do it in either way. Creating one set of sprites and flipping it when he's facing the other way is easier than creating two sets of sprites, and creating one animation to play regardless of which way he's facing is easier than creating multiple animations depending on how the camera's looking at him.

Sigh.

I am fully aware of that.

It is interesting because the default appearance of Mario (as he starts the game running left to right and spends MOST of the game from that perspective) in the 2D Mario games is opposite the "official" version of what Mario does.

Unlike Link, who has a default left handed sprite. Different angles, I know.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
joetachi said:
I dont think this ones here but i found out just a few days ago.Butterfree looks more like the evolution of Venonat than Venomoth. Look at the eyes,nose,teeth,hands and antenna.
24cv59i.png

This blew my mind for once.

I really wish there was a "search within thread" function, but in case it wasn't mentioned earlier, I saw some awesome stuff in the credits of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations tonight.

Noriyuki Iwadare (LUNAR, Grandia, Growlanser) as composer, Shinji Mikami (needs no introduction) as executive producer, and Ben Judd (Bionic Commando rejuvenator) as the voice of Phoenix. That was three separate out loud "holy shit" moments.

Darkpen

Banned
Chao said:
Well, something that I learned yesterday on GAF:

Dreamcast logo wasn't RED, it was ORANGE.

dreamcast-logo.jpg
IMG_0003-4.jpg

I've been living in a lie all these years.
...you thought it was red? I always had the impression it was orange D:

fisheyes

joetachi said:
I dont think this ones here but i found out just a few days ago.Butterfree looks more like the evolution of Venonat than Venomoth. Look at the eyes,nose,teeth,hands and antenna.
24cv59i.png

The Pokemon evolution lines are pretty fucked up. Wouldn't Venomoth, who is a moth, be a better counterpart for Butterfree, who is a butterfly, than Beedrill, who is a bee, anyway? Plus then it having a cocoon stage would actually make a little sense.

webrunner

joetachi said:
24cv59i.png

There's another picture I saw, which also compares the opposite.. compare Metapod and Venomoth, and they also have similarities, like someone switched Venomoth and Butterfree after the designs were made. Both have a three-pointed head and big round eyes:

15xs3cz.png

12525bd.png

Sqorgar

Banned
Totobeni said:
Conker bad Fur Day was the first game that put the character on the side of the screen when you use the gun , this copied by Resident Evil 4 , Gears , Uncharted and tons of other 3rd person games , the game invented that position and it was a Platform game ...irony ?
Are you sure? I could've sworn that WinBack and Jet Force Gemini had that sort of camera well before Conker ever came out... I'm not positive about WinBack N64, but I did play the Japanese PS2 remake before Conker came out. Not only did it have over the shoulder aiming, it also had laser sighting for aiming and a heavy reliance on cover. So similar are their mechanics that RE4 is practically a sequel. Too bad WinBack 2 was total crap.

B.K.

Drkirby said:

I noticed that at Gamestop a few weeks ago when they had the games sitting side by side. I thought it was pretty clever of Square Enix. I thought having one rune thing for Star Ocean 1 and two for Star Ocean 2 was a nice touch.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

Azure J

My apologies if this has been posted earlier, but on the front cover of Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of The New World, the blade on the sword that the character Emil uses is inverted from the actual in game model. This also holds true when you watch the animated intro and note the way that Emil holds and uses it. I gotta admit, that really caught me off guard once I "saw" it.

ronito

two things I just noticed about Persona 4 that I felt really dumb that I've missed for the first few hours.

When you do the attack when the enemies are knocked down if you kill them the clouds form a skull for a few seconds.

second the item you use to transport out of dungeons, Goho-M it took me a few minutes before I saw it, "Go home"

Syringe

Chao said:
Well, something that I learned yesterday on GAF:

Dreamcast logo wasn't RED, it was ORANGE.

dreamcast-logo.jpg
IMG_0003-4.jpg

I've been living in a lie all these years.
Sweet lord, that's the best looking t-shirt I've ever seen. Do you by any chance know where I can get one? I'm gonna order 100 and never wear anything else again!

eXistor

ronito said:
two things I just noticed about Persona 4 that I felt really dumb that I've missed for the first few hours.

When you do the attack when the enemies are knocked down if you kill them the clouds form a skull for a few seconds.

second the item you use to transport out of dungeons, Goho-M it took me a few minutes before I saw it, "Go home"
I noticed the skull the first time I did it, but I never got the "go home" one. Thank you for filling this void in my life.

Haunted

I didn't know about those Star Ocean PSP covers, neat.

mr_square said:
Tails

Miles Prower
Miles Per Hour

a friend pointed this out yesterday. Mind: blown.
So now this thread has come full circle. Was already posted, complete with 10 people freaking out and everything. :p

Blue DC logo represent!

atomico said:
DC logo colour was changed from orange to blue for Europe because there was a DVD/game publishing company that had a similar swirly logo already:
schachmatt_logo.jpg

Lateraleye said:
I really wish there was a "search within thread" function, but in case it wasn't mentioned earlier, I saw some awesome stuff in the credits of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations tonight.

Noriyuki Iwadare (LUNAR, Grandia, Growlanser) as composer, Shinji Mikami (needs no introduction) as executive producer, and Ben Judd (Bionic Commando rejuvenator) as the voice of Phoenix. That was three separate out loud "holy shit" moments.

You know whats even cooler than Ben Judd as phoenix. In the JPN version of Trials and Tribulations Gaming God H.Kamiya (RE2, DMC, Okami) is the voice of Godot.

Red Scarlet

eXistor said:
I noticed the skull the first time I did it, but I never got the "go home" one. Thank you for filling this void in my life.

Yeah I noticed the skull right away, but never looked at it as a long 'o' for go home. The Tails thing I knew about before the game even came out, I remember a Sonic 2 preview in EGM that called the guy Miles Prower and I think it flat out said it was a reference to 'miles per hour'.

Going by the P4 thread, it seems a lot of people (including me till a couple days ago) didn't know about hitting square while in the TV world to just go into the Velvet Room without walking up to it. Certainly not as nifty or useful as most of the things in here though.

I don't think it was mentioned in the L4D thread or while I've played, but I did notice the L4D hand logo showing up on an x-ray on No Mercy 4, if that counts as anything to contribute. I thought it was kind of cool.
l4d_hospital04_interior0009.jpg

M3wThr33

Banned
webrunner said:
There's another picture I saw, which also compares the opposite.. compare Metapod and Venomoth, and they also have similarities, like someone switched Venomoth and Butterfree after the designs were made. Both have a three-pointed head and big round eyes:

15xs3cz.png

12525bd.png

See, I could dismiss the Venonat/Butterfree similarities as character design, but yeah, they definitely got flipped somewhere down the line. The kicker for me was that little 6-pack that Metapod and Venomoth share. Look at the bottom of Metapod and the middle of Venomoth.

Synless

One of my all time favorite videogames ever has been Rick rolling me this entire time!?!?!? Those motherfuckers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In Majora's Mask, in the grass near the Observatory on the lower level of Termina field, you can see an image of Skull Kid. I tried snapping a picture, but it's hard to see. You could check it out for yourselves! Hylian Dan from Zelda Universe showed me this. Here's an image:
2cdgwsh.jpg

Speaking of Hylian Dan, he has a pretty mind-blowing theory about the meaning behind Majora's Mask. Not all of it is meant to be taken in as fact (it was meant to start conversation between MM fans), but a lot of it really does make sense.

Banjo-Tooie:
5.jpg

drizzle said:
I think i remember the "Snake from the first Metal Gear Cover is based off Kyle Reese" from this thread...

KyleReese.jpg

But i've been searching for the Contra Cover Stalonne/Schwarzenegger animated gif and I couldn't find it on this thread (But i remember seeing it on gaf).

So here it is:

nes_contra_animation.gif

And there's a bonus from the european version of Super Contra, which i didn't know of:

lance-bean-super-contra-sylvester-stallone-rambo.jpg

Sorry if this has been posted, but i swear to god i looked for it. Like, four times the past months.

MIND BLOWN!! <passes out>

stilgar

Ok, it's now the time for me to reeal the shocking truth about this game and its title:

sonic_unleashed_box.jpg

Sega is making Sonic Unleashed since 2001.

Well, not really, but they associated their mascot and its friends for the 1st time during this year's E3 :

00001382_00b.jpg

I thought it was pretty cool to buy this ad, given it was just a few months after they decided to stop their activities in the hardware market.

On the Homeworld Box Art, the ships on the top are actually mirrored from the ships on the bottom, therefore "upside down"... Not really mind-blowing, but interesting nonetheless, perhaps?

It was a mistake on Sierra's team - internal rumour / mythos has it that Relic had kick ass boxart for the game before Sierra changed it.

Homeworld-front.jpg

Top Bottom