• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Fiftyeight said:
Completely irrelevant, but that is the lamest fan letter I have ever read.
1532mbl.jpg

FrankieWVU

Neo Member
Back with Mario Galaxy. Does anyone remember the first screenshot or artwork for the game. It showed a deformed looking Mario on some roundish looking level with a house in the back with this god awful looking smoke which made everyone think it was done by some kid on photoshop. However, it ended up actually resembling one of the first planets / galaxies in the game.

I am not sure this is the exact real in game planet but if you know what I am talking about it will ring a bell.
super-mario-galaxy-20060719051344687_640w.jpg

I will try to find it.

1up

Steven_Jitters said:
So after replaying Link's Awakening last month I noticed something that had gone completely over my head. There's a ton of references to the Mario series in the game that mostly include the enemies making cameos but two in particular had slipped past me.

33uzp6f.png

Tarin is a reference to Mario, while in the forest looking for mushrooms he becomes a tanuki.

2ngufm9.jpg

Mamu is Wart from SMB2.

How did you miss this too?

Write_Photo.jpg

BowieZ

Banned
Jasoco said:
BowieZ said:
The often overlooked Main Theme from Super Mario Galaxy - all 30 iterations throughout the game's score...

Some more obvious, some more cleverly concealed during the thick of the action... did you hear them all?
Please don't link to zShare anymore. ...
Anyway, on topic. That MP3 was awesome. I never noticed all the music was just variations of one tune. It made me remember how good the Galaxy soundtrack is. I think I'm gonna listen to it again now. :D
Yeah, sorry bout that. I've never had a problem with zshare on any PC, so wasn't aware of that.

And yeah, I'd be interested in hearing how many of those "references" people thought were intentional or more likely just part of Mahito Yokota's compositional style. I included all the "weaker" ones towards the end (before the End Credits part starts).

As a composer myself, I couldn't quite decide, since a lot of this sort of thing is actually deliberate on my part.

jarosh

BowieZ said:
Yeah, sorry bout that. I've never had a problem with zshare on any PC, so wasn't aware of that.

And yeah, I'd be interested in hearing how many of those "references" people thought were intentional or more likely just part of Mahito Yokota's compositional style. I included all the "weaker" ones towards the end (before the End Credits part starts).

As a composer myself, I couldn't quite decide, since a lot of this sort of thing is actually deliberate on my part.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leitmotiv
^ that's really all there is to it

This is just tangentially related to videogames, so please go easy on me :p I'll spoiler-tag it just in case.

The missing link between Silent Hill and Resident Evil - Also, please don't perma me!

So you know how Silent Hill developers have acknowledged that they are fans of the film Jacob's Ladder? And you know how Resident Evil coined the term "Survival Horror?" Well, if you watch the ending credits to Jacob's Ladder, you'll find a nice surprise (I'm one of those guys who watches the ending credits all the way to the... uh... end).

I'm linking here to the IMDB page for the full cast credits of the movie. You'll want to do a browser search for "Scott Cohen" in that page, and scroll down just a bit. Read the name of his character and the one right below it. My mind was blown when I saw that, even though it's just a VERY silly coincidence.

edit: typo.

BowieZ

Banned
jarosh said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leitmotiv
^ that's really all there is to it
Thanks for the patronization. Did you actually listen to the MP3 I made? I included some samples from the SMG score that really push the definition of Leitmotif, but are arguably still deliberate references to the prevailing motive.

Interestingly enough, I'm writing a piece called "Humongous Fungus Galaxy" as we speak, and I'm taking particular note of the way in which I craft the melodic material... I have a subtle but deliberate reference to the SMG2 Main theme -- its appearance is modified uniquely, but not drastically -- but further on have an even more subtle reference to Gusty Garden Galaxy, which practically no-one will notice, and truth be told it was subconsciously generated, but I am now emphasizing it to reflect the reference.

Gomu Gomu

FunkyPajamas said:
This is just tangentially related to videogames, so please go easy on me :p I'll spoiler-tag it just in case.

The missing link between Silent Hill and Resident Evil - Also, please don't perma me!

So you know how Silent Hill developers have acknowledged that they are fans of the film Jacob's Ladder? And you know how Resident Evil coined the term "Survival Horror?" Well, if you watch the ending credits to Jacob's Ladder, you'll find a nice surprise (I'm one of those guys who watches the ending credits all the way to the... uh... end).

I'm linking here to the IMDB page for the full cast credits of the movie. You'll want to do a browser search for "Scott Cohen" in that page, and scroll down just a bit. Read the name of his character and the one right below it. My mind was blown when I saw that, even though it's just a VERY silly coincidence.

edit: typo.
:lol :lol :lol .
Welcome to GAF.

FrankieWVU said:
Back with Mario Galaxy. Does anyone remember the first screenshot or artwork for the game. It showed a deformed looking Mario on some roundish looking level with a house in the back with this god awful looking smoke which made everyone think it was done by some kid on photoshop. However, it ended up actually resembling one of the first planets / galaxies in the game.

I am not sure this is the exact real in game planet but if you know what I am talking about it will ring a bell.
http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/719/719773/super-mario-galaxy-20060719051344687_640w.jpg

I will try to find it.
I guess you're talking about that fake Nintendo On thing? The images look totally different.

Jazzem

Baiano19 said:
what's the name of the game again?

Sprung, I played a friend's sister's copy for a bit of a laugh. I got Game Over because I threw money at a guy's face which earned me a bad reputation among the in-game women :lol

For those who've beaten Killzone 2 and seen the ending.

Ok, if you all watch the opening cutscene of Killzone 2, you see plain as day that Visari's eyes are a light green/lime color. Flashforward to the ending, look at his eyes when he gets into Sev's face saying "You have not won...", if you're watching in HD, you can clearly see his eyes are dark brown.

This leads me to believe that the Visari Rico killed was not Visari, rather a double. Why do I say this? Why would Colonel Radec, arguably Visari's most loyal lapdog, leave his master unprotected in case of his failure? There were NO guards protecting Visari at all. Visari had an undertone of edging Rico on. Knowing his death would escalate the war his soldiers would fight harder, while a "Shadow" leader was replaced while only his most trusted advisors knew the true circumstances of his "death.

Jasoco

Banned
I actually bought Sprung during those few first months when the DS was still experimental and all we had real game-wise was Mario 64 DS. I also bought Feel the Magic and Yoshi's Touch and Go.

Shame I can't unbuy them.

From the new Iwata asks... Punch-Out!!

Wada
This is a great opportunity, so I have something I'd like to say. In Punch-Out!!, the game gives you a lot of hints about effective timing of punches. There is a big boxer called Bald Bull in the NES version as well and a light flashes to the right in the audience when he charges. If you punch when it flashes you will land a body blow.

Tanabe
What? Really?

Wada
No one has known about that for about 22 years…

Everyone
(laughter)

Wada
I was wondering when I would have a chance to tell people that.

We all thought you had to punch Bald Bull with the jumping rythm and the sounds, and 22 years later, we discover that a flash of light in the audience tells you when to hit him.
Wada you fucker!!!!!

Punch-Out!! a game that 22 years later still has secrets=mind blown.

And for the rest of people, go and buy Wii Punch-Out!! and the original on the virtual console, do yourself that favour.

Meohsix

FrankieWVU said:

super-mario-galaxy-20060719051344687_640w.jpg

I will try to find it.

are these them?
00001.jpg

00002.jpg

sits

SpacePirate Ridley said:

We all thought you had to punch Bald Bull with the jumping rythm and the sounds, and 22 years later, we discover that a flash of light in the audience tells you when to hit him.
Wada you fucker!!!!!

And for the rest of people, go and buy Wii Punch-Out!! and the original on the virtual console, do yourself that favour.

WAIT A SECOND. I believed this, until I just finished watching this NES Punch-Out!!! ultra-fast strategy video. In this video of the second Bald Bull fight, I don't see any flash of light in the right to denote Bald Bull's charge. I checked out the first Bald Bull fight, and there's no flash of light there either.

On a sidenote, I highly recommend watching this (currently imcomplete) NES Punch-Out!!! strategy video guide. Back in the day, I used to show my friends that I could beat Mike Tyson without suffering a single KO from any fighter, and their mouths would hit the floor. And I used to think, "That's right, bitches. It took me months to be this good, and I am the epitome of Punch-Out mastery."

Let me tell you now that watching this strategy guide has made me realise how so very, very amateur I am compared to this guy. His strategies are mind-blowing and worthy of posting in this thread.

TacticalFox88 said:
For those who've beaten Killzone 2 and seen the ending.

Ok, if you all watch the opening cutscene of Killzone 2, you see plain as day that Visari's eyes are a light green/lime color. Flashforward to the ending, look at his eyes when he gets into Sev's face saying "You have not won...", if you're watching in HD, you can clearly see his eyes are dark brown.

This leads me to believe that the Visari Rico killed was not Visari, rather a double. Why do I say this? Why would Colonel Radec, arguably Visari's most loyal lapdog, leave his master unprotected in case of his failure? There were NO guards protecting Visari at all. Visari had an undertone of edging Rico on. Knowing his death would escalate the war his soldiers would fight harder, while a "Shadow" leader was replaced while only his most trusted advisors knew the true circumstances of his "death.
Interesting possibility. :D

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
sits said:
WAIT A SECOND. I believed this, until I just finished watching this NES Punch-Out!!! ultra-fast strategy video. In this video of the second Bald Bull fight, I don't see any flash of light in the right to denote Bald Bull's charge. I checked out the first Bald Bull fight, and there's no flash of light there either.

Hmm. I should go play it on the Wii (via VC) to see what's going on here.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
SpacePirate Ridley said:

Wada you fucker!!!!!

It's true. Watch the little camera all the way to the right and just below the bottom rope in the audience at around 1:27 in this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ7t2UxRD-E

RagnarokX

Can't believe I never noticed this. Seems this Kirby Canvas Curse commercial was filmed entirely on the Universal Studios Hollywood backlot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zN72HoYamg

14df2mv.jpg

Kirby and finger walk down random backlot street.

20ob39.jpg

Kirby swings in front of the courthouse from Back to the Future.

kqcdj.jpg

Kirby decides to traverse the collapsing bridge from the tram tour.

Ferrio

Banned
Tntnnbltn said:

Oh, that's a finger! Mind = Blown.

I thought it was a condom looking at those pictures. Kirby's canvas indeed.

oji3cw.png

And some other Twilight Princess facts:

- The night sky is an accurate representation of the real night sky. Stars are the correct brightness, and constellations such as Orion and Cassiopeia. The moon moves, but the stars stay still, however.

- Oocca are inspired by M.C. Escher’s painting “Other World”. You can see them here in M.C. Escher’s “Another World II”.

- Ooccoo is actually the hexidecimal code (00CC00) for the color of Link's green tunic, found in the first Zelda game.

- In the fishing hole, Hena has a picture of the fishing pond owner from Ocarina of Time. If you quickly look over at Hena after looking at the Legendary Fisherman from OOT, she will be scratching her back. If you talk to her when she scratches, she makes a comment about it. In OOT, the Fisherman always was scratching his back.

- On the way to the first dungeon, you can steal lantern oil and red potions from the bird. If you run off without paying, the bird will attack you next time and call you a thief. This is a reference to Link’s Awakening.

OnPoint

It's only kinda video game related, but I realized this the other day:

GI Joe has a character named Lady Jaye. Sure it's a name, but when said it sounds like an initial, where the "J" stands for Joe.

Orpheon

Banned
Captain Smoker said:
- Ooccoo is actually the hexidecimal code (00CC00) for the color of Link's green tunic, found in the first Zelda game.

- In the fishing hole, Hena has a picture of the fishing pond owner from Ocarina of Time. If you quickly look over at Hena after looking at the Legendary Fisherman from OOT, she will be scratching her back. If you talk to her when she scratches, she makes a comment about it. In OOT, the Fisherman always was scratching his back.

My god.

I will never again underestimate the intricate level of insight EAD1 are willing to employ...

BlakeofT

Captain Smoker said:

It's close, but no cigarette. I guess it's just a coincidence.

ooccoo.jpg

sjt333

Captain Smoker said:
- On the way to the first dungeon, you can steal lantern oil and red potions from the bird. If you run off without paying, the bird will attack you next time and call you a thief. This is a reference to Link’s Awakening.
Holy crap.

I've played Link's Awakening and Twilight Princess heaps of times and never picked up on that.

Ledsen

HisshouBuraiKen said:
Yup. I played the jp version so I always knew. Stop looking at the round part as boobs and see it as a fat little body connected to the ground by a faint wisp of shadow.

Viv was only like 6 years old btw. in shadow-person years.

Wait... how could you see it as "boobs"? With some imagination it could be one gigantic mega-boob, but boobs? I always saw it as "her" stomach, even before i KNEW.

Top Bottom