• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogamer.com bought by Videogamer Ltd. (what? =/)

AHA-Lambda

Ok, I admit the situation with VideoGamer is frankly a confusing mess at this point, but long and short of it is that a large number of staff left the site, one after the other, by the end of last year (Jim Trinca, Dave Scammel, Steve Burns, Tom Orry and others) leaving only 2 full time members of staff and 2 freelancers (one on videos and one purely for writing news), with Alice Bell now taking the editor position in a fast track scheme that would make Captain Kirk from Nu-Trek blush.

Details for why each member left has been sparse, but speculation has of course been rife considering the large quantity of staff to go all at the same time (with some of them having no jobs to go to!)
Needless to say the quality of content from VG has fallen off a damn cliff since then.

Fast forward to now and the previous owner of the site, Candy Banana, has sold the site to someone called VideoGamer Ltd.
Confused? So am I.
It seems however that VG Ltd. is something set up by Resero Network Ltd. who also owns the PlayStation Trophies and XBox Achievements websites.

And yet with all this news, there still isn't a peep about this channel getting new staff (the video link below says they're trying to grow a team, but they've been apparently trying to hire new staff since before xmas), and it sounds like they're moving out to a shared office now.
So this whole thing has hardly been an inspiring update tbh.

https://www.videogamer.com/features/an-update-about-videogamer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaeORUpPmdA

Lock if old.

Moze

Banned
I just cannot see the site surviving much longer. Aren't there only two people there at this point? Something has clearly gone on there over the past year or so.

Anung

Un Rama
Place is done as far as I'm concerned. They've just haemorrhaged too much talent and even some lame ducks. Be surprised if they last much longer.

Cess007

Man, it's a shame that so many people has left Videogamer since I started watching them. Matt, Chris, Simon, Brett, Dave, Steve. I loved their content for years :(

I feel bad for Alice. She joined right before everyone else left and basically left her all the responsibilities. I wish her and Colm the best of luck. Miller can get his condescending, consistently "holier than thou" attitude and go though.

Spaghetti

They seemed to have a fast-ish staff turnover even back in the old days but it's pretty undeniable that the process has been eerily quickened lately; and probably for the purposes of this sale to make it a more attractive buy.

No idea what this means for the content. To tell the truth I tuned out on Videogamer ages ago during the "piss boiler" era.

The Patreon stats are pretty dire by the looks of it. It fell off a small cliff towards the end of 2015 and didn't really recover, and only went into more accelerated decline once Jim and Burns left. No idea if it's an essential part of their business model or not, though.

Top Bottom