• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#vidgames memories thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grifter

Are any of these guys the guy who helped me pick a school and program which led to my cushy job?

I don't owe anyone $10 tho...details are vague but there was a guy who did owe me $10.

mosaic

go eat paint
I swear on my mom's life that Shion's copy of Yu Yu Hakusho for the Megadrive was lost in the mail on the way back to him; and that I never once thought of stealing it!

Oh the rapid-fire memories this is re-kindling... anyone else purchase gray-market stuff from blf or "I forget his nick but his first name was Mike and he sold HK Saturn bootlegs in bulk right outta the channel."

Or a modded PSX from JSpaceman's Dubtech? :)

Didn't Jer "Blazphemy" Horwitz, one of the founders of Intelligent Gamer Online, end up becoming a lawyer?

Lordy my neurons are firing hinter and fro...

Also...

darknight.jpg

Gazunta

Starfallz (bless her angel heart) sent me Pulp #vidgames, which I linked to in the original post, and I've updated a few facts as I slowly trawl through this thread :)

I just went into #vidgames and saw 27 people in there for the first time in like 6 years :)

g23

European pre-madonna
Please guys share the GAF irc info. I want to take part in intelligent discussion LIVE

GG-Duo

Marty Chinn said:
GTFO, this is about a much better channel, #vidgames!

#vidgames!? I thought we were talking about #vidgames

btw - Gaz. It's years later and I still have not seen a site designed with crayon-esque graphics.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I went to vidgames like 2 times because mikazuki told me too after the downfall of palace. He was also the reason I started posting on gaf.

There was apparently some overlap in #vidgames and palace. DaveT was infamous for coming on and telling people he had exclusive information and then going AFK. Whats her name from bizarre creations used to stop by as well.

Shouta

Heh, I remember hanging out in #vidgames for awhile. I stopped by there a few months ago (since I'm on the server 24/7) and it was so quiet. =/

ferricide

i was busy at work all day while this was happening. and then jetlagged at night.

so i don't have much to add. except to wonder why i hate GAF so ****ing much when it was, essentially, an evolution of #vidgames.

and what's with no mentions of slim or kagami? i still sort of talk to slim on AIM but not too much. he's kind of exactly the same, but now he just endlessly plays WOW.

not to mention synapse and m0. that was a fun little stupid childish rivalry. =)

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
I spent a lot of time on there as well talking to Milky and Che. It was my first, last, and only IRC experience. The best part about it was that if people came on there spitting out fanboy BS they were immediately banned. No questions and no second chances. The original poster is right, though. I fell off after like the third server change in two weeks. It had become too hard to keep up with. Definitely some fond memories of that place.

Matt_C

Heya, I am the infamous Matarick at #vidgames and I discovered this channel from an old Sandwich Island Pokémon guide that my dad gave me from his trip to the library.

I met up with shr00m (Brian Gray) who ran PSXNation at the time. With my amazing Gunstar Heroes review, I joined the gaming press scene in the summer of 2001. I was the bane of #vidgames
because ***-*** was no longer arround
due to my dorky obsession with all things Tokimeki Memorial, flirting with Yakksaddles' woman, and disclosing my sexual conquests on IRC.

I braved many kicks and temp bans and I do not regret the time spent on the IRC channel.

Alas, I am far away from the gaming industry at the moment due to my circumstances but from previous lineage; I came from a great place.

mosaic

go eat paint
ferricide said:
not to mention synapse and m0. that was a fun little stupid childish rivalry. =)

Thank you! m0! Yes, that's the nick I couldn't remember. He was my Saturn HK disc sugar-daddy!

Synapse vs. m0 was crazy stupid. Sometimes, they'd get into whatever, and then one or the other would spend a good hour sending me private messages about how the other wasn't shit and wouldn't amount to shit and how they'd boned the other's dog-like mother or gf.

stewy

Matt_C said:
Heya, I am the infamous Matarick at #vidgames and I discovered this channel from an old Sandwich Island Pokémon guide that my dad gave me from his trip to the library.

I met up with shr00m (Brian Gray) who ran PSXNation at the time. With my amazing Gunstar Heroes review, I joined the gaming press scene in the summer of 2001. I was the bane of #vidgames
because ***-*** was no longer arround
due to my dorky obsession with all things Tokimeki Memorial, flirting with Yakksaddles' woman, and disclosing my sexual conquests on IRC.

I braved many kicks and temp bans and I do not regret the time spent on the IRC channel.

Alas, I am far away from the gaming industry at the moment due to my circumstances but from previous lineage; I came from a great place.

I'm pretty sure that guide you're referring to was written by Mark MacDonald (aka togo)

Ravidrath

ferricide said:
so i don't have much to add. except to wonder why i hate GAF so ****ing much when it was, essentially, an evolution of #vidgames.

Too many (stupid and unfriendly) people, bizarre collective sense of self-importance, amplified distortion, colossal unchecked hyperbole, etc. That's why.

All of those things existed in some form or another on #vidgames, but the real-time chat medium made it feel less anonymous and accidentally made people act like human beings more often. That was a conversation, and GAF is a time-lagged discussion.

john tv

Ravidrath said:
Too many (stupid and unfriendly) people, bizarre collective sense of self-importance, amplified distortion, colossal unchecked hyperbole, etc. That's why.

All of those things existed in some form or another on #vidgames, but the real-time chat medium made it feel less anonymous and accidentally made people act like human beings more often. That was a conversation, and GAF is a time-lagged discussion.
Well, also, as someone once elegantly pointed out, #vidgames was never a democracy. :) If someone came in and said something stupid, they were usually kicked out on the spot and banned for life. We made a lot of enemies that way, but we kept a clean ship as a result.

MarkMacD

Heha Togo...kinda has a nice ring to it.

Miss #vidgames but yeah, GAF has taken up that void for most of us I think. Was nice to have a -friendly- place for the latest gaming news and talk....

MarkMacD said:
Heha Togo...kinda has a nice ring to it.

Miss #vidgames but yeah, GAF has taken up that void for most of us I think. Was nice to have a -friendly- place for the latest gaming news and talk....

Ya, it's too bad it didn't survive long enough for online gaming to finally take off. It would have been great to easily arrange games in the middle of conversations. We got a small taste of it with the Dreamcast, but it could have been so much cooler to be playing with you guys now given how far online gaming is moving.

Ravidrath said:
WTF, Gaz?

First, you can use my real name and put my nick in quotes.

Second, why do you have to mention Lizzie McGuire as the only game I've worked on? :\

Third, both of those two mysterious projects have been announced. May as well put those in. :p

Holy hell, Peter Bartholow? Man, I didn't know you hung around this shit hole. How you been, dode?

I refuse to acknowledge any association with #vidgames, especially since Gaz' topic didn't mention the USENET crowd and Kent Frechette. :mad:

(I'm Doug "Castellan" Erickson, from those days.)

skip

Marty Chinn said:
Ya, it's too bad it didn't survive long enough for online gaming to finally take off. It would have been great to easily arrange games in the middle of conversations. We got a small taste of it with the Dreamcast, but it could have been so much cooler to be playing with you guys now given how far online gaming is moving.

I fondly remember getting quakeworld games together. I don't fondly remember getting my ass kicked by che and rudds and IIID and mark and...

mosaic said:
Hahaha... the mention of Oppressor reminds me that we forgot Brian "Osserman" Osserman... who I used to call Cervical Osserman. Ha!

And, lord, the very mention of the name Doug.... the Dougiest of them all, Doug "Castellan" Erickson

That's SENOR DRINKY to you, schweinhund! Oppressor posts on Qt3.com and he's a cool dude doin' a cool dance these days.

Grifter

skip said:
I fondly remember getting quakeworld games together. I don't fondly remember getting my ass kicked by che and rudds and IIID and mark and...

I fondly remember you giving me your Starcraft key after I managed to lose mine. That was before you went Hollywood.

skip

Grifter said:
I fondly remember you giving me your Starcraft key after I managed to lose mine. That was before you went Hollywood.

oh yeah. I played starcraft once. marty and 3d zerged me, and that was it forever.

-Rogue5-

I'm telling you guys, all this talk of #vidgames is going to start a revival... or at least a half-assed attempt at one... OH sh*t, The Wheelman Trailer just finished downloading, be back in a sec.

EDIT: Pre-rendered CG Vin Diesel blows.

Ravidrath

Drinky Crow said:
Holy hell, Peter Bartholow? Man, I didn't know you hung around this shit hole. How you been, dode?

I refuse to acknowledge any association with #vidgames, especially since Gaz' topic didn't mention the USENET crowd and Kent Frechette. :mad:

(I'm Doug "Castellan" Erickson, from those days.)

Shh!

Actually, I'm fairly new to GAF. Been lurking for a while and finally built a thick enough mental callous to actually start posting, and I feel like shit about it.

Been OK. At another shitty, broken developer and looking to jump again soon. I expect to land a job where I'll be working with two other #vidgamers.

DaveT

Holy Shit. #vidgames!!!!

And John is right, I never worked for Ziff.

Sorta goes like this. After becoming a mainstay in #vidgames in like early 1997, joined the Gaming Age staff and helped run the very fine fansite from January 1998 - November 1999. Then, with a bit of convincing from DaveZ, this boy from Orlando, FL, quit his day job, packed his bags, and moved to San Francisco without any job prospects. Two months later landed an in-house freelance position at GameSpot (with the help/recommendations of a couple people, of who I will always be greatful). Then two months later was hired fulltime as editor. Then just a week later, with a background doing design, programming, and a little video produciton, was moved to help head up the launch the GameSpot Live (video) group, and has been there since!

Back in the day, I was so smug it wasn't funny. Reality set in over time, thankfully. :p

And that's that. I'll surely have to stop by #vidgames as soon as I get a chance!

PG2G

Hrm... i don't remember if I ever went to #vidgames or not. Some of those names definitely sound familiar though, especially Brandon (black guy, right?). Futami wasn't there, was he?

I think I must've known people from one of the other random video game channels on efnet, and probably a few from AOL. I remember chatting with ECM back when he was about to come to cali for his Gamefan interview :p Anyone know what happened to him?

DaveT

Damnit, I cannot resolve irc.enterthegame.com

Nor can any online tools when trying to just resolve the IP (outside of my ISP in case it's having issues!).

Someone help me out here!! I know I've connected to the server in the past couple months. :-\

Oh well, my baby boy (6 weeks old as of yesterday!) is hungry, time to go change and take care of him!

Gazunta

Baby Boy?!?!?! Holy shit, congrats man!!!! That's so friggin' cool! Details!

Yeah for some reason I keep equating Gamespot with Ziff. Didnt ziff own them at some point?

I realized last night that I must have been on #vidgames or its precursor as early as 1995, becuase I remember Pris giving Twisted Metal 1 impressions before I had a chance to get my own copy.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
Gazunta said:
Baby Boy?!?!?! Holy shit, congrats man!!!! That's so friggin' cool! Details!

Yeah for some reason I keep equating Gamespot with Ziff. Didnt ziff own them at some point?

GameSpot was bought by ZDNet, which was spun off from Ziff Davis at one time. It was never actually owned by ZD as far as I know. More like a partnership.

Also, thanks for remembering me!

NichM

Banned
I have more memories of #vidgames than I'm sure anyone in #vidgames has of me (from the channel, anyway--I got to know most of its regulars better in person after I stopped going). But I remember it was the place I got my first freelance assignments after endlessly bugging Gary (ProffyPlum). I also owned a Victor Ireland for President shirt and wore it proudly during my first E3.

FACT: I was also technically channel admin for its stay on EsperNet by virtue of registering the channel first! Not that I actually did anything besides give AOPs to a bunch of people and wander off.

Man, I registered an account here just so I could say hi to Gaz, then after writting out a long reply to this thread my browser glitched when I tried to hit send.

Anyway, my nick on #vidgames was coolguy. I had a great time on the channel. Many cool things went on there.

I remember a video someone made of Mario ass-raping the bunny from Mario64 to the music from Pulp Fiction.... does anyone still have that?

Good to hear everyone's doing well, even though vaporware (or was it vapourware? :) never got off the ground.

I guess the fidonet dream is still alive.

Milkman

DaveT said:
Oh well, my baby boy (6 weeks old as of yesterday!) is hungry, time to go change and take care of him!

No doubt training him early on how to jump on and cling to people's backs.

Gazunta

rudds said:
GameSpot was bought by ZDNet, which was spun off from Ziff Davis at one time. It was never actually owned by ZD as far as I know. More like a partnership.

Also, thanks for remembering me!

<3 Rudds, sorry man. I rectified the OP. Saw you in the Guitar Hero 2 video the other day and went "awwww ****, I didn't put in Rudds"

I felt so bad :(

Gazunta

highspeeddub said:
Anyway, my nick on #vidgames was coolguy. I had a great time on the channel. Many cool things went on there.

Holy CRAP!!! Ladies and gentlemen, this is the guy who introduced me to #vidgames. How the hell have you been, man? Wow. Let me just say...thank you for introducing me to the channel. It seriously changed my life and made everything else since possible. I honestly can't thank you enough.

Good to hear everyone's doing well, even though vaporware (or was it vapourware? :) never got off the ground.

Vaporware, stupid us pandering to a US audience ;) Well...while the first issue may be in perpetual limbo, it paved the way for Hotgames and everything that came since. In that regard it was a big success :)

mosaic

go eat paint
Pretty soon, the #vidgames kids will need to form their own channel!

I was just thinking about Dan "DarkFact" Grannett (sp?) the other day. I believe he dropped dead suddenly in what, 2000 or 2001? Remember how he was absolutely in love with Metal Gear Solid? I remember he was creaming at the MGS2 previews and never actually got a chance to see the game get released. Now, Metal Gear is practically a saga on par with Halo or Mass Effect. He would've totally freaked to know how huge it got.

Ironically, he and I tended to argue and fight the most on the channel. But hey, between myself and SinZ (Kelly), the channel had it's 24/7 dick brigade for a while ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom