• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vigil in 2012: Wii U "has been on par with what we have with the current generation"

Last time I mentioned that Wii U won't be on par with PS4/720 in a Wii U thread I was instantly greeted with "oh so you know the specs huh?" etc.
I bet at the beginning people expected Wii U to be more on par with the next gen consoles (not the same exact specs mind you) more than on par with the current gen, but the expectations have been quietly getting lowered since.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It's just there to give an early indication, and lighting/assets will probably be reasonably close to what we can expect of Wii U Zelda. Hell, given past precedent, the real game will look quite a bit better anyway.

The bird demo was more technically impressive though, and it was also evidently developed outside Nintendo.

I know folks were impressed. And the leap from Wii quality graphics did wow but I haven't seen anything that couldn't be done on PS360.

Those that really know about the system clearly aren't saying anything do to NDAs and other contracts. This also makes what developers who are talking very suspect.
Something I've thought myself as well. It applies in equal measure to the sources fueling the higher end spec speculation that's generally taken as gospel.

Violating NDA presumably has litigious repercussions, and people don't really have much to gain in being forthcoming with privileged info.

DS -> 3DS isn't anything near an "incremental upgrade". Wii -> Wii U is looking like it'll be the biggest generational tech bump in the industry's history too.

How? The guy said it's on par with PS3/360 and the jump from PS2/Xbox to them wasn't as big as the jump from PS1 to PS2 so unless this guy is completely wrong/trolling, it's impossible for the Wii to Wii U jump to be the biggest ever.

This is why I'm not even caring anymore about what developers have to say regarding the Wii U until E3. Especially those just porting games and not developing a game with the Wii U as a lead sku. Those that really know about the system clearly aren't saying anything do to NDAs and other contracts. This also makes what developers who are talking very suspect.

Are you really suggesting that a developer who is making a WiiU launch game doesn't really know about the system right now?

No, it's really not. This is not shady third-hand gossip.
Ok so why don't you believe Mark Rein when he says Wii-U is pushing beyond current gen. I'm pretty sure he's a much more reliable source.

You believe Iwata wouldn't not have direct knowledge of the hardware? Do you know what hearsay is?
Just because they know, doesn't mean they'll tell the truth.

I rather rely on common sense, and common sense tells me it takes more work to create a console with 2006 level specs in 2012 than it is to do the opposite.

You're all forgetting this is practically all PR bullshit, to take any of this as fact is pretty silly.

I bet at the beginning people expected Wii U to be more on par with the next gen consoles (not the same exact specs mind you) more than on par with the current gen, but the expectations have been quietly getting lowered since.
If anything, it's the reverse. The initial rumors couldn't even all agree on whether it would match PS360. It's only more recently we've heard some claims of parts of the system being 5x X360, and a tablet controller for the next Xbox that could set a lower limit on its processing capabilities.

Ok so why don't you believe Mark Rein when he says Wii-U is pushing beyond current gen. I'm pretty sure he's a much more reliable source.
As has already been explained a couple times in this thread, it's not a matter of if it'll be more powerful than current gen, it's the degree. Not a difficult concept to grasp.

Outside of the quick reactionary comments when this thread was made, no one sane really believes Wii U will be less powerful than the PS3 or 360. What makes the statement in the OP so interesting is that it goes with what many of us have believed about it being slightly more powerful than current gen.

I know folks were impressed. And the leap from Wii quality graphics did wow but I haven't seen anything that couldn't be done on PS360.
I dunno, even scripted segments when split screened to lower res in 360 games I've played like RE5 or Gears 2 aren't that impressive. Double rendering takes a toll, so when we get a Wii U tech demo that really just focuses on one HD screen I think we'll be able to compare better.

Averon

The spinning people are doing is quite entertaining. The guy's comments seems pretty clear to me. They are in a position to know and they have no reason to lie. Hell, they seem to be the most enthusiastic supports of the WiiU. Furthermore, the WiiU have to put out two full video images, often at the same time. That must be taxing. Is it really that inconceivable that the WiiU can only to do PS360 level visuals with it having to do that?

Cromat

My conclusion from the past few generations:

Unless you think Nintendo games are above and beyond all other games (and there are quite a few people that do), you will probably be better off with a non-Nintendo console.

Could say that for all so call next gen eg Unreal any one that think next gen will be a big jump in for a let down, demos from big N don't fake or Bs us so take that as the basic look for bottom end games

With more time the top end should look a lot better then anything on this gen

As has already been explained a couple times in this thread, it's not a matter of if it'll be more powerful than current gen, it's the degree. Not a difficult concept to grasp.

Outside of the quick reactionary comments when this thread was made, no one sane really believes Wii U will be less powerful than the PS3 or 360.
Right, so its gone from being on par to what degree it is more powerful? moving goal post much?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
What's the problem?
Since the ds and wii launched every nintendo fanboy told me graphics didn't matter.

They don't. GAFers are setting themselves up for disappointment again, as usual. 3DS is essentially a souped up PSP with better pixel-shaders and 3D-ness. Wii U is going to be a souped up 360.

I'm okay with this. Most of GAF will not be. In other news, water is wet. :p

How? The guy said it's on par with PS3/360 and the jump from PS2/Xbox to them wasn't as big as the jump from PS1 to PS2 so unless this guy is completely wrong/trolling, it's impossible for the Wii to Wii U jump to be the biggest ever.

"On par" is relative. Like DC and Xbox being "on par", or TG16 and NeoGeo.

With 360 to Wii U we're probably looking at things like a 3x memory increase, a GPU 3 generations newer, etc. The technology jump from Wii is going to be massive.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
...demos from big N don't fake or Bs...

That's very true. I remember when they stated the polygon fill rate of the Gamecube and it was a lot lower then what was stated on PS2 and Xbox. But Nintendo stated real world figures of triangles that were coloured and lit.

kfpkiller

Could say that for all so call next gen eg Unreal any one that think next gen will be a big jump in for a let down, demos from big N don't fake or Bs us so take that as the basic look for bottom end games

With more time the top end should look a lot better then anything on this gen

Do you really think bottom end games on wii u will look as good as the zelda tech demo?
Man you're up for a big disappointment.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
'More powerful' doesn't even begin to counter 'on par'. The PS3 is arguably more powerful than the 360, it is without question on par however.
That's because they are very fuzzy definitions. The Vita is 'on par' with the Ps3... If the difference between the Wii U and the HD twins is the same as the Ps3 and vita, I would be happy and fall within my previous estimate.

OP said:
You know, so far the hardware's been on par with what we have with the current generation's. Based on what I understand, the, you know, the resolution and textures and polycounts and all that stuff, we're not going to being doing anything to uprez the game
Hey, I too got the same assets for Darksiders on my PC and I actually had to hack in AA. Yet, I'm sure that my 280+q9400 setup was much more powerful than the HD twins. :)

They don't. GAFers are setting themselves up for disappointment again, as usual. 3DS is essentially a souped up PSP with better pixel-shaders and 3D-ness. Wii U is going to be a souped up 360.

I'm okay with this. Most of GAF will not be. In other news, water is wet. :p
Spec wise 3DS is a huge increase over PSP. Even just memory alone (96MB vs 24MB game data), nevermind the significantly more capable GPU and versatible CPUs. With 3DS the problem is it needing to double render everything for 3D, which takes a toll on resources.

Wii U will encounter the same thing sometimes since it's rendering to both tv and tablet (see the Zelda/Bird tech demos last E3), but more often I think you can expect it be handled differently with the tablet being more of a subscreen with tv, or an alternative main screen in place of the tv. It's more comparable to the DS/3DS touchscreen in that regard.

Jokeropia

I think having multiple speculation threads is pointless since everyone will believe what they want to believe until we finally get some real information. At best, this will happen at E3. (But most likely not until the complete specs are revealed.)

Wii was an anomaly.

I think having multiple speculation threads is pointless since everyone will believe what they want to believe until we finally get some real information. At best, this will happen at E3. (But most likely not until the complete specs are revealed.)
Pretty much this, I'm not really sure I bother, boredom I suppose.

They don't matter until they do matter. Then they don't matter again.
Graphics do matter if your system isn't capable of such graphics to the point that your console can't even run the game. Other than that, no they don't matter enough.

I assumed "on par" was akin to "in the ballpark of" when using sport related analogies.
Last time I mentioned that Wii U won't be on par with PS4/720 in a Wii U thread I was instantly greeted with "oh so you know the specs huh?" etc.
The mere notion that it may not run UE4 well was met with similar derision in another thread, iirc.

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah, the hell with all this tech speculation. Just show me some interesting new exclusives and I will be sold. It will probably take a little time after launch, but I'll be waiting and hoping.

z0m3le

Banned
Right. Slightly more powerful is not positive news to say the least.

A lot of people also can say that the PS2 and Xbox were on par, or that the N64 and dreamcast were on par, clearly there were differences, but both have been said before, and those things are hard to tackle, so if you were to give it a number, what number would that be? 2 times 360? since it was running Zelda and that bird demo on 2 different screens, and both those demos can't be accomplished on 360, is that what you are saying the underclocked dev kit from july last year could produce? Because I'm on the same page with you now.

Effect

Are you really suggesting that a developer who is making a WiiU launch game doesn't really know about the system right now?

Perhaps not enough as compared to other developers. They are porting a PS3/360 game or at best developing a Wii U version of a game where the lead sku is likely the 360 version. No new assets. No new anything. The controller will likely only be inventory management and maybe streaming. Now compare that with other developers that are making new games/Ips for release on the Wii U. Maybe they'll be multiplatform but it's likely something new might have the Wii U as the lead sku. Those should be used to determine the power of the system. I expect those developers to have the latest dev kits and to get the most help from Nintendo during development.

Still those with the most information and understanding aren't talking at all. They won't as well since they are likely working closely with Nintendo. Which is why developers who do talk about the system should have what they say be taking with a grain of salt. In the end I expect no mulitplatform game at launch to look any better then the PS3/360 versions. Even after that many developers can do straight ports and not bother enhancing the games at all for the Wii U. I expect some will no matter what. That doesn't mean the Wii U is simply on par with the PS3/360. The very fact it has to stream the game to the controller is evidence of that.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Spec wise 3DS is a huge increase over PSP. Even just memory alone (96MB vs 24MB game data), nevermind the significantly more capable GPU and versatible CPUs. With 3DS the problem is it needing to double render everything for 3D, which takes a toll on resources.

Wii U will encounter the same thing sometimes since it's rendering to both tv and tablet (see the Zelda/Bird tech demos last E3), but more often I think you can expect it be handled differently with the tablet being more of a subscreen with tv, or an alternative main screen in place of the tv. It's more comparable to the DS/3DS touchscreen in that regard.

I agree with you, but while all of those features are nice I've become increasingly convinced that GAF doesn't give a shit about those extra features and only care about how pretty a game looks in a screenshot. While 3DS is rendering the image twice making it more powerful than PSP, in terms of what the developer can do with the models and poly count there's a limit that's much closer to a PSP than say, a Vita. In other words, many people in core gaming communities simply want raw power pumping out intense graphics and nothing else. The Wii U's need to display content on a 2nd screen (or stream footage to said screen) will hamper how much raw power developers can actually utilize for teh amazing HD graphix etc. etc.

It could be much more powerful than a 360, but it won't LOOK like that in screenshots/movies. The games will essentially LOOK like they're running on a souped up 360.

A lot of people also can say that the PS2 and Xbox were on par, or that the N64 and dreamcast were on par, clearly there were differences, but both have been said before, and those things are hard to tackle, so if you were to give it a number, what number would that be? 2 times 360? since it was running Zelda and that bird demo on 2 different screens, and both those demos can't be accomplished on 360, is that what you are saying the underclocked dev kit from july last year could produce? Because I'm on the same page with you now.
What about the Zelda demo couldn't be accomplished on the 360?

Those consoles are from the same generation, its nor surprising for the consoles to be "on par". People are expecting consoles from two generations to be on par this time around. Makes no sense.

Uh besides the N64 and DC comment, thats just dumb.

LOCK

Evidence points to the contrary of his statement. We will all find out in a few months guys, just calm down.

kfpkiller

lulz, show me anyone that said that.

As for the tech demos, here's a PS360 tech demo, do you know any game on those consoles that look that good?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cuXgRVMvZ0

Ahasverus

Wasn't this known for ages now?
Yep, not seeing the surprise. People have been rising WiiU expectations periodically.. poor graphics whores wanting to find something to be amazed with a company that thinks graphics and technology are not important in the medium.

I'm getting ready for Nintendogs HD, now with tesselated dog crap!

Top Bottom