• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vin Diesel: ‘Furious 7 Will Win Best Picture at the Oscars

Status
Not open for further replies.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
C'mon guys, be fair. We all know of so many Oscar winners that involve bringing a dead character back to life with "she's not really dead and also has amnesia."
Plus the obvious oscar bait 'multi-millionaire international criminal mastermind starts dealing drugs with a bunch of high school kids' trope.

Frodo

Is it a film about the war or a film-biography or an film set in another century before the XIX? If it is he may be right.

BadAss2961

Furious 7 is legit the best action film I have seen since T2. Haven't seen the final cut of Mad Max but what I saw was really good.

Furious 7 is the perfect action flick though. Not a second is wasted in the film.
I'm curious as to what it is about Furious 7 that separates it from the other movies. As much as people love the series now, i've never heard impressions for it like this one's been getting.

I'm a big fan myself, and was only expecting more of the same.

D-X

LN6gJdn.gif

Wha wha what game is this???

I exercise the right to maintain this thin veneer of skepticism in regards to the idea that Mad Max can't top Furious 7.

Not that I don't think Furious 7 won't be fun as shit, but man...

It's going to come down to preference.

How awesome is the climax???

Does it top furious 6?

Yes.

I'm curious as to what it is about Furious 7 that separates it from the other movies. As much as people love the series now, i've never heard impressions for it like this one's been getting.

I'm a big fan myself, and was only expecting more of the same.

It took everything that made the last two great and mixed them in a bag. The end result is perfection.

Remember when Vin Diesel thought he was too good for more Fast & Furious movies?

Now he's claiming the latest will be best picture.

We have come full circle. Or something.

JGLS

A bit off topic, but I'm going to watch this on Thursday, however I've only seen the first two F&F movies, years ago, so I'm going to miss a lot of backstory, right? Or is this movie a self-contained story that could easily be followed by people new to the franchise?

Mr.Swag

Banned
A bit off topic, but I'm going to watch this on Thursday, however I've only seen the first two F&F movies, years ago, so I'm going to miss a lot of backstory, right? Or is this movie a self-contained story that could be easily followed by people new to the franchise?
Watch five and six. They with this one are a kind of trilogy.

rbenchley

it should be a contender, i dont see why sheer fun and enjoyment is a less valid metric for best picture than what the usual nominees get nominated for.

The film critic Pauline Kael said that "Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash we have very little reason to be interested in them.” My guess is she would have loved the Fast & Furious movies.

As for the Oscars, the franchise will never win anything outside of technical categories, but that's okay. The Oscars blow and so rarely pick the best films, that it's practically a badge of honor to be passed over by them. FF 5 and 6 were two of the most entertaining movies I've ever seen, and I can't wait to see 7 on opening night.

Skunkers

Remember the times when VD wouldn't do sequels

I feel like in the early-mid 2000's, Vin Diesel and The Rock had the same agent... and it was Cuba Gooding Jr's agent. Dude was like "Fuck these movies that you're famous for! You know where the real money and respect is? Kids movies. Trust me, star in some kids films and it'll do wonders for your career.". Cuba pretty much never recovered, Vin and Rock managed to come out of it thanks to this franchise.

kswiston

Wait. Nevermind the Best Picture hilarity. Why is this going to break box office records? Pretty sure one or two of the movies were direct to dvd.

"Break box office records" means setting the April box office opening record. Currently, Captain America 2 holds the April record with a $95M opening.

Overall, Fast 7 has a slim shot at a Top 5 finish for the year domestically. Maybe the same worldwide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom