• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virginia bill would end winner-take-all, award EVs by (gerrymandered) districts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Averon

Shit like this is partly a consequence of Democrats being wiped out at the state level. The GOP have free reign to go nuts passing all sorts of draconian bullshit like this.

Nightmusk

Banned
https://www.google.com/amp/s/wsoctv...ns-in-2017/471489451?client=ms-android-google

That is the problem with this idea. Many states are in the same situation as NC with what will soon be a Republican led Supreme Court as the only protection left. Also how could you possibly think a district with 2000 people should have equal say as a district with 2 million?

That is talking about state congressional districts. Per the Constitution, federal congressional districts have to have the same number of people.

Because they won it by a razor thin margin...

They won by a razor thin margin. But now they're going to want to deny themselves electoral votes after they just got 20 versus 15.

Also the Democratic governor will NEVER get reelected even though they won by a razor thin margin.

Cool.

UberTag

I mean, are they aware of how evil they are?
They're completely aware. This is their victory march. Now that they have unquestioned power across all levels of government they intend to rig the system so the Democrats never take control of anything EVER AGAIN... be it the White House, Congress, the Senate, the Supreme Court... and, coming soon, your broadcast media outlets.

You now live in an authoritarian state.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like breaking down. The news around me is terrible I can't help but feel that democrats are never going to get back in at this rate.

Also, this didn't pass in Michigan when they had full control of government. Public pressure works, guys.

I feel like breaking down. The news around me is terrible I can't help but feel that democrats are never going to get back in at this rate.

I'm sure Republicans felt this way in 2009.

Averon

Democrats needs to get serious competing at the state-level. It can't be ignored any longer.

Having this tunnel vision view of the presidency and congress (particularly the Senate) has allowed the GOP to get into position to pass stuff like this state-by-state.

Zips

Whose brilliant idea was it to give power over district borders to the political parties themselves to begin with? Was it always that way?

The United States is cracking apart and falling into stupidity and fascism so rapidly it's incredibly alarming. It's been bubbling under the surface for a long time, but this last election has given control of the asylum to the inmates.

4 years until re-election, and then 4 more until 'President for life' or some-such nonsense, or the train of Trump's kids running for the presidency.

Something has to give, or the country is heading down a very bad path...

Piano

Banned
And? Maine and Nebraska already do it. For people complaining about living in red states, this allows some of your state's electoral votes to go toward the democratic candidate, most likely the urban districts.

I forgot. Evil GOP. Durrr.

Right, I'd be completely fine with this if the nation hadn't been gerrymandered to hell and back.

Cowie

“Western Virginia has been discriminated against … for many years,” the man said. He said the system was set up to protect minorities, and it’s not doing that.

Virginia voted Republican from 1968 through 2004. It's gone blue the last 3 elections and all of the sudden we're worried about protecting "minorities".

Cry me a river.

Sean C

Democrats needs to get serious competing at the state-level. It can't be ignored any longer.

Having this tunnel vision view of the presidency and congress (particularly the Senate) has allowed the GOP to get into position to pass stuff like this state-by-state.
The Democrats never ignored the state level. The problem for the last six years has been that the bulk of state elections don't coincide with the presidential elections, which tend to go against the incumbent president's party (even setting aside lower turnout from Democratic voting blocs then).

roytheone

Whose brilliant idea was it to give power over district borders to the political parties themselves to begin with? Was it always that way?

The United States is cracking apart and falling into stupidity and fascism so rapidly it's incredibly alarming. It's been bubbling under the surface for a long time, but this last election has given control of the asylum to the inmates.

4 years until re-election, and then 4 more until 'President for life' or some-such nonsense, or the train of Trump's kids running for the presidency.

Something has to give, or this is where the country is heading it seems...

It's kinda funny/sad to see that the country that is often saying that it's goal is to spread democracy everywhere actually has one of the worst voting systems and their separation of power is pretty terrible too.

Ratros

What's next then? California? New York?

If I understand the consequences correctly, GOP will soon become the default winner of every election, right? We are just affirming their success by voting?

And? Maine and Nebraska already do it. For people complaining about living in red states, this allows some of your state's electoral votes to go toward the democratic candidate, most likely the urban districts.

Virginia isn't a red state and hasn't been for a decade

I don't believe Maine and Nebraska do it via congressional districts, either

Ri'Orius

When a solid red state like Texas implements this you can talk about it being fair. But when we're talking about a Republican-led effort to split up a blue state (with nearly twice the EVs of Maine and Nebraska combined), that's not in the interest of making things fairer across the board.

It's clearly an attempt to gain votes for their side. It's evil, yes. Sorry if hearing about the GOP being scumbags triggers you.

UberTag

It's kinda funny/sad to see that the country that is often saying that it's goal is to spread democracy everywhere actually has one of the worst voting systems and their separation of power is pretty terrible too.
Actions speak louder than words. This is a credo that we could all learn to live by more than we are right now.

darkwing

You guys are never getting america back at this rate.

if Americans don't do something, they probably won't, the GOP must be thinking of preserving the status quo for as long as they can since they have the Presidency, Congress/Senate, most of the Governorship , plus sympathetic media outlets

Ithil

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrymandering_in_the_United_States

The GOP make it so your vote actively does not matter.

North_Carolina_12th_Congressional_District_%28National_Atlas%29.gif

Eh, it was tried and failed in PA, it's a non-starter in VA. The system has worked to the benefit of Dems in NE but would be a disaster for the party if enacted nationwide.

And some of yall apparently think gerrymandering is an issue that affects a huge number of states -- it's certainly had a bad effect on several, mostly southern, states but plenty of states have perfectly reasonable district lines, even . And Maryland, easily the most blatantly gerrymandered state, is example numero uno of a state that has been carved up like crazy to disenfranchise Republicans there.

I don't believe Maine and Nebraska do it via congressional districts, either

Wait, what? I thought you paid attention to politics! They've both done it exactly the same way as this proposal for many cycles now

Are the moderate Republicans fighting back against this? It's clearly sick and wrong right? The party should have better principles than this correct? Because despite saying they take a rational critical view towards the actions of their party, this type of BS legislation gets very far up the pole only for liberals and minorities to be the ones that have to react to it

Beartruck

USA needs to separated into two countries. A blue country who understands realty and a crazy red country. This is no long a nation capable of functioning as a united rational whole.
Problem there is the blue country is the west coast, east coast, and part of the great lakes. No cohesive whole.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Sooner or later, blood will spill as a result of republican tyranny

Eh, it was tried and failed in PA, it's a non-starter in VA. The system has worked to the benefit of Dems in NE but would be a disaster for the party if enacted nationwide.

And some of yall apparently think gerrymandering is an issue that affects a huge number of states -- it's certainly had a bad effect on several, mostly southern, states but plenty of states have perfectly reasonable district lines, even . And Maryland, easily the most blatantly gerrymandered state, is example numero uno of a state that has been carved up like crazy to disenfranchise Republicans there.

Wait, what? I thought you paid attention to politics! They've both done it exactly the same way as this proposal for many cycles now

Maryland's gerrymander was done to protect incumbents, not to protect Democrats.

You could actually make a super easy gerrymander for Maryland where Democrats win all 3 ECs.

Maryland_Gerrymander_Comparison.png

Also, there are literally like 6 states that are gerrymandered for Democrats.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/...re-is-more-to-gerrymandering-than-ugly-shapes

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...e-in-2016-Why-Because-it-probably-did-in-2012

C2d35PqWgAA8f9k.jpg

JohnsonUT

You are trying to make this issue less severe than it is and are also saying "both sides do it". The fact is the democratic party would have to win in a landslide in order to barely control the House as things currently stand. Regardless of parties, this is a serious issue that can be easily solved if the ruling parties at the state level actually had the desire.

UberTag

Problem there is the blue country is the west coast, east coast, and part of the great lakes. No cohesive whole.
It "could" be a cohesive whole if you used America's hat as a bridge to link everything together. The blue states could be the sideburns.

Lime

The statement about "spreading democracy" and "freedom" and whatever stuff is being espoused by right-winged Americans have always been hypocritical. In general, the US as a society is an incredibly hypocritical one with its prison system, its death penalty, its healthcare, its treatment of its poor/black/women/LGBTQ people, its meddling in other countries' affairs, its imperialism, its wars, its drone strikes, its torture+Guantanmo, its pollution, its over-consumption, its sabotaging of climate change, its genocidal history, and so forth.

legacyzero

Banned
God, there HAS to be federal regulations put in place for ALL states for Federal elections. This is totall bullshit.

Fuchsdh

Oh, gerrymandering is definitely a bipartisan issue, and it's stupid—at this point all districts should be created to have roughly equal people balanced with compactness via computer algorithms that can be scrutinized by the public to look for bias.

Once we address gerrymandering, then getting rid of the electoral college makes sense. Until then it's putting the cart before the horse and basically giving conservatives more power to misrepresent and fuck over constituents.

You are trying to make this issue less severe than it is and are also saying "both sides do it". The fact is the democratic party would have to win in a landslide in order to barely control the House as things currently stand. Regardless of parties, this is a serious issue that can be easily solved if the ruling parties at the state level actually had the desire.

It's definitely worse in traditionally Republican states, but Democrats had a stronger majority in the House than any Republican majority since the 1920s as early as 6 years ago. It got worse after the census reapportionment but it's hardly insurmountable. They've just collapsed at the state level, which is where it matters. State district lines are typically much better drawn than congressional ones, but there has to be a party priority and strategies to actually attempt to take over state legislatures.

Oh it's definitely worse in traditionally Republican states, but Democrats had a stronger majority in the House than any Republican majority since the 1920s as early as 6 years ago. It got worse after the census reapportionment but it's hardly insurmountable. They've just collapsed at the state level, which is where it matters. State district lines are typically much better drawn than congressional ones, but there has to be a party priority and strategies to actually attempt to take over state legislatures.

There will be now. Also, it's much easier to sweep into smaller races in state legislatures even if they're ridiculously gerrymandered.

I do not think 2018 will be a kind year for Republicans. A 2006-type wave would be nice.

We better get our shit together before the next census and redistricting. Citizen's united really screwed us over because now big money interests can go into specific districts and flood it with dark money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom